IDENTITY CRISIS

*Heather Martin*

Disclaimer- I do NOT own Buffy the Vampire Slayer. This is a story with characters created by Joss Whedon. I am only borrowing them.

Spoilers- This will have many spoilers. It occurs after Wrecked, and will refer to everything before that also. But mostly, Fool for Love.

Summary- A spell has a far greater impact than Willow or Spike counted on. The vampire is split into two separate embodiments: the demon and William. But there’s still Spike, who has to decide who he really is, the demon or the man. And time is running out.

“Poor Spikey! Can’t be a human, can’t be a vampire.” ~Wrecked
But what if he had a choice?

Chapter 4- Meet the Demon

The demon who was once within Spike grinned. He had just fed on a young blond girl. She had been about twenty with brown eyes. It had been an easy catch. All he had to do was come and ask if he could walk her home. She agreed instantly.

He could feel the essence stream through him. The power it possessed. These long two years, being held back. It had been too long.

The demon licked his lips. The glory of being free was overwhelming. He couldn’t help the temptation. He wanted another victim to feed on. Surrendering to the urge, he began to search for one.

+++++++++

Buffy twirled her stake. She hadn’t come in contact with a vampire yet, and was becoming bored. She thought about going to the cemetery to hunt, but pushed it aside. No, Spike would be there. Spike was bad.

Buffy groaned and turned around. So what if he was there? The graveyard was her battleground. And if he got in her way that was his problem. And what would that be, you yelling at him to death? Shut up, she told herself.

She stopped. A figure loomed in front of her. As she came nearer, she made out the form of a vampire. He was draining a girl.

Buffy threw the vampire away from his meal. The girl dropped to the ground. He growled at her. She stared at his features.

“Spike?” she choked out.

He laughed. “Hello, cutie!” he greeted.

They twirled around each other. “So, you are the demon that made William a vampire?” She punched him in the chin.

He dodged another blow. He grabbed her arm, twisting it. “That would be me, slayer.”

Buffy kicked him, getting her arm free. “Then that means I’ll have to kill you!” she yelled.

She started to go at him with fury. If he never turned William, everything would be all right. Kendra would be alive. She wouldn’t have ended up at Angel’s that day. He wouldn’t have become evil. Jenny might still be alive. William would have lived a nice life back in England. And she wouldn’t have these feelings for Spike. The ones that tore her apart. The ones that made her do things she despised.

She hit him over and over. Then she thrust her fingers into her jacket, bringing out a stake. She started it toward the demon’s chest.

Before she knew what happened, she was on the concrete of the sidewalk. He grabbed her hand, prying the stake out of it. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

“And why not?” she spat.

“Because your precious Spikey will be no more.”

“What do you mean?” She tried to get up, but he pinned her down.

“If one of us, William or myself, dies, so will he. We make up what he is.”

The demon dangled the wooden weapon in her face. “So, you see, you can’t kill me.”

Buffy mustered all her strength and kicked him off her. The stake flew through the air. She rushed to snatch it up.

Anger in her eyes, she faced the demon. He was smirking at her. Not the Spike smirk, this one was absolute wickedness. “What makes you think that I can’t dust you?” she asked.

“Because, slayer, he means something to you. I know. I was there when you shagged yourself to oblivion.” He inched toward her. He leaned into her ear. “William was too. But I was the one who made you scream.”

Buffy swept her leg, knocking him to the ground. She kicked him again. “You disgusting. . .!”

He was amused by her outburst. He got to his feet again, then broke into a run.

Buffy cleared her head, then went to check on the girl. Her pulse was weak, but there. She picked her up and headed to Sunnydale Memorial Hospital.