Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as ever to Carol for her beta work:) And to all who are reading and reviewing!!
Chapter Thirty-Six

Home

Spike was close to collapsing by the time they arrived back at the hotel. He was physically and mentally exhausted.

“Let’s get you to bed, okay?” said Buffy as soon as they got in.

Spike nodded gratefully and let Buffy lead him to their apartment.

“We need to talk,” George said to Angel and Brad as the women came down the stairs to greet them. Angel had called them to let them know that Spike was safe.

“Laura, you were right. Nemol had put a collar on him that would probably have killed him, though we’re not exactly sure yet. But without your warning we might not have saved him,” said Angel, giving her a hug, “Thank you.”

Laura blushed and went to hug Brad when Angel let go of her. Brad kissed her hungrily. George averted his eyes with a sigh only to see Moira and Angel doing the same.

“Ahem!” he said loudly.

They all looked at him.

“We really do need to talk. Spike’s got some tough times ahead and you all need to know it.”

“What do you mean?” asked Moira.

“Nemol has been feeding him the blood of the Yenomi and it’s highly addictive, more so than any drug that you humans know. We won’t know how much Spike has had until he can speak again. But to make him so desperate that he was willing to die trying to get it, he must have had an awful lot. Normally a couple of hits a day will get you hooked in a week or so. To get Spike hooked so badly in so short a time means he must have been given it more frequently than that.”

The others stared at him in silence, so George continued.

“I’d suggest that you give it to him as often as he needs it for twenty-four hours so that he can settle in and have a bit of a respite. Then you’ll have to lengthen the periods in between doses and cut down on the amount in each dose. I have to warn you that he won’t like it and most likely will get violent when he realises what you’re doing. You’ll have to restrain him somehow.”

“He’s not going to be chained again,” said Buffy, walking into the foyer, “I promised him.”

George looked at her gravely, “Then that’s a promise that you will break. Those under the addiction of Yenomi blood will literally kill for it. They can’t help themselves.”

“Oh God,” said Buffy, “How much more does he have to go through?”

No one had the answer to that.

“Angel, I suggest that you put some of the blood in the apartment so that he can take it when the cravings come but put the rest under lock and key for when you begin to wean him off it.”

“I will, George,” said Angel, “And thanks for all your help. We couldn’t have done it without you. The coven in England came up blank.”

Little George puffed up with pride, “Least I could do after he saved my life.” He looked at Buffy. “Is it okay if I go to see him? Then I must leave.”

“Yeah, George, he’s pretty tired though. He was asleep before I pulled the covers over him. I’ll show you where he is,” said Buffy as she picked up several bags of blood.

They walked to the apartment and Buffy pointed to the bedroom door.

“Do you have a mug please?” asked George, “I’ll take some blood in with me. He’ll need to be able to get it as soon as the craving takes hold otherwise he’ll become violent.”

Buffy got a blue mug out of a cupboard in the kitchen but before she gave it to him she kissed George’s warty cheek and hugged him.

“Thank you,” she whispered.

George grinned as his warts tingled in the nicest way. “It’s all right,” he mumbled as he went into the bedroom.

“Just in time,” he thought as he saw Spike’s body shaking under the blankets.

“Spike?” he said quietly when he got to the bed.

Spike’s eyes fluttered open and George hated how his face lit up when he saw the mug in his hand. It wasn’t going to be easy.

“Do you want this?”

“Yes,” croaked Spike, nodding his head rapidly. His attention was so focussed on the mug that he hadn’t even realised that he had managed to speak.

George gave it to him and Spike swallowed its contents as quickly as he could, eyes closing as he finished.

“I need to talk to you, Spike. Is that okay?”

Spike opened his eyes again and sat up a bit straighter. He nodded.

“Do you know how often Nemol gave you the blood?”

“Hourly,” replied Spike, his voice still sounding a little odd.

George winced, “God, Nemol’s done a right number on him.” He didn’t envy Spike the next few days.

“Um…do you remember the cream that I asked Nemol to put on you to…er…reverse what he’d done?”

“Yeah,” said Spike, cringing as he remembered the little demon copping a feel. Then cringing even more when he recalled the countless others who’d done that and more to him.

“Well…um…” stuttered George.

Spike looked at him sharply, “What?”

“Er…well…you were in pain and I couldn’t leave you like that…”

“’Preciate that, mate, but I’m getting nervous now. What has that cream done to me?” asked Spike, leaning towards George.

“Um…well…its effects could last up to a week. I’m not really sure in a human.”

“Bloody hell,” said Spike.

“Sorry.”

“But it will wear off, won’t it?”

“Yes, I’m almost certain that it will,” replied George.

“What? Almost? What do you mean almost certain?” cried Spike.

“I mean, I am certain,” said George quickly, “Um…well…I’ve got to go…good luck.” He ran from the bedroom as quickly as his little stumpy legs could take him.

“Christ,” muttered Spike, putting a hand under the sheets and holding himself. “You’d better sodding wake back up,” he growled as he discovered that he couldn’t feel his hand on himself. Where the cream had been rubbed in was completely numb. “Oh shite.” He collapsed back in to the pillows and rolled onto his side. He closed his eyes, praying for oblivion. His prayers were answered as sleep claimed him.

000000000

“Is he okay?” asked Buffy as soon as George reappeared.

“Yes, he’s going to sleep now I think,” replied George, “He can’t have gotten much rest while he was being held. Nemol fed him the blood every hour, Buffy, that’s way more often than it’s normally used. Withdrawal is going to be tough on him. He’s been seriously overdosed on the stuff.”

“He’ll get through it, won’t he George?”

“I’m sure that he will, but he won’t like what you’re doing one little bit. I wasn’t exaggerating that chaining him up will be a necessity.”

“I know,” sighed Buffy, “We’ll do whatever we have to do.”

The pair walked back to the others. George made his goodbyes, refused Angel’s offer of payment and left the hotel.

Moira watched him go, “Well, the first demon that I have met doesn’t seem so bad,” she said with a smile.

“They’re not all like George,” cautioned Angel, “Even other Ruolocs aren’t like George.”

“I’m going back to the apartment,” said Buffy, “I don’t want to leave him alone. Thanks for all that you have done for him.” She hugged each in turn and then walked back to be with Spike.

“I suppose I ought to get back to Rosedene,” said Moira.

“Yeah, we’d better go home too. Work’s going to seem pretty tame after this weekend,” said Brad, prompting a few chuckles.

“Um…Angel…would you like to come back to Rosedene with me? Spike will need to be formally released from the facility. I’ll have to keep the paperwork in order,” asked Moira, her eyes telling him that there was more on offer than paperwork.

“I’ll check with Buffy, but yes, that’s a good idea. Spike’s not going to be any problem while he’s getting all the Yenomi blood that he needs. I’ll follow you in my car.”

“You can travel with me if you want to and get a cab back in the morn…er…later,” said Moira, flushing as she realised she’d almost said what she’d hoped would happen.

Angel grinned at her, “My car has specially treated glass to prevent me from bursting into flames when I drive in daylight.”

“Oh,” said Moira. She knew that he wanted to stay over as much as she wanted him to.

“Come on, Laura, we’ll make a move,” said Brad. He nudged Moira as he walked past her, “Way to go.”

“Brad!” said Moira in embarrassment.

Laura giggled. “Is it okay if we come back to visit?”

“’Course it is, Laura,” said Angel, giving her a hug, “You’re all welcome here anytime.”

Once Brad and Laura had gone, Angel drew Moira into his arms and kissed her passionately.

“Are you sure about this? About us?” asked Angel.

Moira laughed a little nervously, “So long as you don’t tell me about all of your ex’s. I don’t think that I could take that much information.”

“Same for you. I don’t want to know who has held you before me,” said Angel seriously. He kissed her again. “I’ll just make sure that Buffy and Spike are okay and then we can go.”

Angel walked quietly into the apartment. When he didn’t see Buffy in the lounge he went to the bedroom. He tapped lightly on the half open door.

“Buff?” he said softly.

“Come in, Angel.”

He pushed the door fully open to find Buffy sitting on the bed, cradling Spike’s head in her lap, her hand stroking his shoulder. Spike’s arms were around her even as he slept.

“He was having a bad dream. He’s quieter if I hold him,” said Buffy with tears in her eyes.

She ran her hand over his still oiled hair. He’d been too done in to shower when they’d gotten home. She couldn’t wait to wash all trace of his experience from him.

“Um…will you be okay if I go to Rosedene with Moira? There’s paperwork to be done and Spike should be okay until we start reducing the dose tomorrow and…”

“And there’s Moira to spend time with,” interrupted Buffy with a grin. She’d never seen Angel babbling before. He must really like Moira.

If a vampire could blush then Angel would have.

“Yeah, but I can stay if you’re worried?”

“We’ll be okay. To be honest I just want to be alone with him, to hold him. I don’t want to ever let him go again. Go, have fun, I can call you if I need to.”

Angel hesitated as he heard Spike whimper in his sleep.

“Go, Angel. We’ll be okay.”

“Call me if you need me.”

“I will, I promise,” said Buffy, “Go on, go away, shoo!”

Angel smiled at her self-consciously and then walked out of the room, closing the door quietly behind him.

tbc


Chapter End Notes:
This will probably be last posting until Sunday or Monday as going to see our beloved JM at Union Chapel on Friday (my birthday) and then to Collectormania on Sunday. Hope you forgive me!! :)