Author's Chapter Notes:
Hey everyone! *waves* Well, first of all, thanks for popping in for a read. I am so very sorry its taken this long. There really isnt any other excuse besides RL really has been a bitch to me. Although, things are looking up a bit as far as my marriage goes. Hubby is being much better and a lot less like an asshole. Sadly, as far as caring for my mother goes, she passed away a couple of weeks ago. While I miss her terribly, I know she's better off. So, maybe less marriage drama and a boatload of sudden off work/free time I might be able to get some writing done. Secondly, I want to thank each and everyone of you who have stuck with me. I truly appreciate it. **Before I go, I would like to send uber thanks to DragonFlyLady for fixing my mistakes and also, Msspikester, who mentioned how much she liked this story although she had forgotten the name of it and hadn't read in a while, which got muse all eager to write!* *
Not even halfway through the two hour drive from Sunnydale to Los Angeles had passed and the newly wedded couple had already run out of things to talk about. While they had not the slightest of problems in communicating their desires to one another, it seemed that talking about their personal lives was a bit of a task. The first twenty minutes or so had been filled with a discussion of the morning’s events and how they had narrowly avoided the news crew that had pulled onto Buffy’s street as they had rounded the corner. Idle chitchat had taken over since then, including mundane topics such as breakfast foods and weather.

“Is there anyone you need to contact, pet, someone other than your friends, that is, to let them know that you’ll be out of town for a few days?” Spike probed as he slyly watched his bride out of the corner of his eye. So far, Buffy had cleverly avoided any conversations regarding her family and Spike was growing more and more curious by the moment. Surely there was an overbearing mother in law or overprotective father in law just waiting in the wings for their chance to impose their opinions into Buffy and Spike’s fledgling marriage.

Fidgeting with her hands, Buffy cringed inwardly at Spike’s inquiry. Deep down she was aware that she would have to spill the beans on her family’s drama, but really didn’t want to get into the gory details at that very second. Given her reluctance on the matter, Buffy decided to give Spike the same story she gave everyone else that she didn’t know very well and hoped it didn’t come back to bite her in the ass. “Well, my mom passed away seven years ago while I was in college from a brain aneurysm and my dad was never really part of the picture. I haven’t seen or spoken to him since I was really little. So, other than an aunt in Illinois that I haven’t seen since my very awkward preteen years I don’t have anyone other than my friends…and well, you, I guess.”

“Only child, eh? Must’ve been nice. “Spike replied with a hint of sarcasm. “My older sister annoyed the bleeding hell out of me on a daily basis. Luckily for you, most of my family still lives overseas so I don’t imagine you’ll be forced to see them too often.”

“Oh, that’s right! I forgot you have a sister. Um, Drusilla, right? Go me with the stalker fan girl information.” Buffy giggled and was rewarded with an amused smile from Spike.

“Well, love, your fan girl stalking means I don’t have to worry about you forgetting the details, yeah?” Spike winked at Buffy and returned back to focusing on the road, all the while never letting on how pleased he was that she finally shared a bit of her personal life with him. The remainder of the trip was spent with idle chitchat, which both parties enjoyed for separate reasons.

Just over an hour later they rounded the corner onto the palm tree lined street where Spike’s house was tucked away behind lavish security gates at the end of the cul de sac. After slowly driving down the winding road, they neared his home and immediately spotted the flock of paparazzi herded at his driveway. “Bloody hell!” Spike exclaimed as he immediately ducked the car into a neighboring driveway hidden from the reports view by several towering plants. “Figured the hounds would show up eventually, just wasn’t quite figuring on it being so soon.” Reaching into the console of the rental car Spike pulled out his cell phone and scrolled through the numbers. “Time for the backup plan.”

Buffy half listened to Spike’s phone call to his agent/uncle Rupert while she craned her neck in attempts to spy on the mass of gossip reports and still couldn’t believe that they had camped out to get a glimpse of her. Buffy Summers, lowly small town guidance counselor was about to be the center of attention and envied by millions of girls. The very notion both excited and scared her.

Lost in her daydream, Buffy didn’t hear Spike end the conversation and put the car into reverse. When he whipped the sleek black rental car back out onto the road she glanced at him questioningly. “I take it we aren’t going to your place?”

“No, sorry, but I think it’s for the best that we head to my uncle’s place for the time being and figure out what the next course of action is. We’ll get to my house soon enough. I can’t wait to show you around your new home.” Spike glanced over at Buffy in time to see the expression on her face and regretted that it wasn’t one of happiness or excitement. “What is it, love?”

“Spike, how are we going to do this? I have a job in Sunnydale, a job I love actually. And my house, my mother left me that house! I don’t want to leave it. “Buffy twisted her hands nervously and chewed on her bottom lip in an attempt to keep from crying. How on earth had she gotten herself into such a mess? “And my friends! Spike, they’re the only family I have left. I can’t leave Sunnydale!”

It wasn’t that Spike hadn’t given any thought to their special predicament, it was just that he really never thought that Buffy wouldn’t jump at the chance to move to Malibu once she got used to the idea. “We’ll figure it out, Buffy. I didn’t mean to upset you, I just thought that maybe one day you might consider moving in with me, but we can cross that bridge when we get there. We’re just dating right now, yeah?”

“Dating, yes…just dating is good.” Buffy breathed and focused on quelling the panic attack bubbling just beneath the surface. Forcing out a slight smile to reassure Spike, she took his offered hand, leaned her head back against the seat and let the sight of passing palm trees and crashing waves lull her into a state of peace as they drove up the coast to his uncle’s estate.

After another hour or so in the car, Buffy was sure enough lulled into a state of peace as she had fallen asleep sometime during the jaunt up the coast just north of Santa Barbara. She awoke about halfway down the cobblestone driveway that was lined on both sides with acres of lush green grass and immaculately designed gardens. Spike pulled the car around the circular parking area and unfolded his long legs from the car, waving off the servant while doing so. “How many times am I going to have to tell you that you don’t have to assist me, Jonathan?” he said with a good-natured chuckle while motioning to the other side of the car. “However, I’m sure my guest will get a kick out of it.”

Buffy chastised herself for not being more elegant and lacking the cool demeanor that she should have possessed, but she really couldn’t help the astonished gaze and slack jawed expression as she exited the car. She smoothed down the front of her very modest tan skirt, and by modest she meant budget priced, and slowly made her way to the rear of the car where Spike was waiting with a bemused expression. “This is your uncle’s house? Wow.”

“Well, to be honest, it’s his wife’s house. Her father gave it to them as a wedding present. “Spike explained as he escorted her to the front door. “But I try not to remind him of that too often. Old bloke really has no sense of humor when it comes to being called a kept man.”

“So I take it you tease him as much as you tease me?” Buffy asked with a knowing smirk.

“I only tease because I care, love. Plus, it’s not like the old man hasn’t got his own money. He’s got two other houses. My uncle just a bit stuffy when it comes to the matter of money, aren’t you Rupes?” Spike noticed his uncle had opened the door despite the houseful of servants that undoubtedly were being paid to do such a menial task, which meant that Rupert Giles was in a hurry to get down to the matter at hand.

“Clearly, “Rupert responded with only the slightest hint of a smile tugging on the corners of his mouth. No matter how many times his deceased sister’s son aggravated him Rupert found it next to impossible to stay mad at the young lad. Breaking out of his customary stuffy ways, as his nephew so eloquently put it; Rupert gave Spike a warm hug and motioned the both of them into the massive house. “Miss Summers, I presume?”

“Yes, sir,” She replied, accepting his hand to shake. “Your home is absolutely breathtaking.”

“Thank you, my wife will be thrilled to hear that. Please, come into the living room while we wait for lunch which should be served shortly. Would either of you like a drink?” Rupert ushered them both into the lavishly decorated living area, complete with massive floor to ceiling windows lined across the backside to show a gorgeous view of a pool and another garden.

“No thank you, but I could use a trip to the restroom to freshen up.” Buffy headed in the direction of the bathroom, while Spike sank down onto a supple leather couch and stretched his legs out in front of him.

“She is quite a beautiful, Spike,” Rupert stated, while pouring himself a single shot of bourbon. “While I don’t normally believe in getting down to business while there are guests, I figure we don’t have much time to get a press release hammered out before the vultures realize that you aren’t at home or at Miss Summers’ house. So, care to fill me in?”

“Honestly, Rupert, this is probably something you will want to do in complete privacy. If Anya’s around I would suggest having her take Buffy outside to eat while you and I take care of matters in your office.” Spike replied with complete honesty as he got off the couch and decided to take part in the bourbon as well.

“That bad then?” Rupert replied sarcastically as he leaned over to pick up a nearby phone and punched in a three digit extension. “Anya, dear, would you be kind as to take Spike’s guest out to the patio for lunch? He and I have a great deal of work to do and figure it would be quite the bore for you ladies.” He muttered a few more words just low enough for Spike not to pick up on them from across the room, most likely terms of endearment seeing as how the two still acted like newlyweds after nearly five years of marriage. “Anya is on her way down with the twins, the nanny is off this morning for an appointment and she can’t get them to go down for their nap. Hopefully they will behave long enough to have lunch. Quite the handfuls, they are.”

In the marble and glass bathroom down the hall, Buffy took several deep breaths in a failed attempt to soothe her nerves. Just meeting Spike’s uncle had sent them into a frazzled mess and now her heart was hammering away in her chest and her face was flushed a very unbecoming bright red. She splashed some cold water onto her face and patted her cheeks dry with a fluffy crème colored hand towel just as someone knocked softly on the door. Figuring Spike wouldn’t be so reserved, she cracked the door and peeked out to find a petite blonde in a maid’s uniform on the other side. “Yes?”

“Sorry to disturb you Miss, but Mrs. Giles’ would like to invite you to join her on the patio for lunch while Mr. Giles and Mr. Thorne are in a meeting.” The maid motioned for Buffy to follow and led her down the hallway in the opposite direction of the living room and through a pair of double glass doors that opened onto the patio where she was greeted by a petite blonde woman with dressed impeccably in a rose hued sheath dress who was clearly several decades younger than her husband, which shocked Buffy even though it shouldn’t have being Hollywood and all.

“Buffy? Hi, I’m Anya, Rupert’s wife.” Anya shook Buffy’s hand and motioned for her to take a seat at the wrought iron and glass table that appeared to be set for a seven course meal instead of a simple lunch on the patio. “I apologize for the change in plans, but Rupert was chomping to get down to business with Spike. Apparently the two of you have really got the gossip columnists stirred up.”

“That would be putting it mildly.” Buffy replied grimly as she wondered what all she was allowed to spill during lunch. Deciding to play it by ear, she said, “It’s all new to me. I still can’t believe anyone would want to know about my life, even with someone like Spike hanging around.”

“Hmm…hanging around is not how I would phrase what Spike’s doing. I’ve never seen him this wound up over anything or anyone.” Anya eyeballed the flustered blonde across from her and took a sip of water before saying, “But, that’s neither here nor there. I’ve been asked not to discuss anything until after their super secret meeting; although I am very interested, but I can wait, I guess.” Anya smiled as Buffy sighed with visible relief and turned her attention to the two girls playing across the yard. “I hope you don’t mind, but the nanny is off until after lunch so the girls will be dining with us.”

“I don’t mind at all, I love children.” Buffy assured her host with a gracious smile and sighed wistfully at the sight of the two little girls tearing across the yard to come to their mother’s call.

“It can be tiring having twins, especially three year olds, but children really do add something special to your life. Buffy, I’d like you to meet Christina and Emmanuella.” Buffy’s heart swooned as the two towheaded girls snuggled against their mother before climbing into their chairs. Anya motioned for them to put their napkins in their laps and said to Buffy,” Do you have any?”

“Oh, um, no I don’t.” Buffy stammered as a server placed a plate of roasted chicken and vegetables in front of her. Realizing that Spike’s aunt was merely fishing for information, she added, “Although, I hope to have several someday.”

“That’s good to hear. We could use a few more children in the family.” Anya replied with a wink and satisfied smile before leaning over to cut up the chicken for her daughters while ignoring the slight choking sound coming from a startled Buffy.

Inside Rupert’s office on the second floor, a room tastefully decorated for a man, in mahogany and brown leather, Spike was beginning to lose his bravado and felt like sinking into the overstuffed chair thanks to the glare coming from his
uncle. “Listen, Rupert, it’s not as bad as you think.”

“Really?” Rupert replied dryly. “Then please explain to me what the situation is, William. Because from where I’m sitting I see another one of you colossal mistakes made clearly because you are unable to think with anything above your belt on most days.”

“Of course you would think that.” Spike spat, “You’ve never believed I could do anything other than screw up. You’re as bad as the rest of the family in that matter, everyone except mum that is. No one gave my father a chance since he didn’t come from your section of society and you’ve never truly gave me one either. Admit it.”

Rupert glared at his nephew and had to admit that, to a degree he’d always treated him like a child that needed to be guided through every section of life. William had moved to the states when he was eight to live with him after his parents, Rupert’s sister and brother, had died in a car crash just outside of London. While Rupert loved the boy like he was one of his own, he had to be honest with himself and realize he had always assumed the worst when it came to his nephew’s actions. “Alright then, fill me in on what’s going on with Miss Summers. Why was it so important to track her down and why on earth you’ve been shacked up with her for days and missing work?”

Realizing that he may in fact have chosen a particularly bad time to question his uncle’s love for him, Spike mustered up the courage to quickly blurt out what had happened in Las Vegas. “So, I guess congrats are in order, yeah? What with the marriage and all?”

“I knew it!” Rupert exploded, “I knew you had gone and done something completely juvenile yet again! Well, I hope you bloody well know what you’re doing, young man. Do you even know what type of woman you married? Bleeding hell, she’s probably just after your money. Did you even have the forethought to get her to sign a prenuptial agreement?”

“She’s not like that, Rupert! Buffy’s an angel, a sweet and caring young woman that you should be grateful I married instead of some piece of trash like the first girl I pranced through here with,” Spike insisted vehemently, “And no, we didn’t sign any bleeding agreement. Are you daft? We got married in Vegas. Like we had the time to do anything like that! She’s a bloody revelation, I tell you! I love her!”

“Love her?” Rupert scoffed, “Please, William, you’ve known her for barely a week. I can promise you that whatever you are feeling has to do more with your penis and less to do with your heart. And as for her being a ‘bloody revelation’ let me tell you just how sweet and innocent your precious wife is.” Reaching into his briefcase, Rupert pulled out a file folder crammed full of paper and tossed it across the desk to his nephew. “Go ahead, read up.”


Chapter End Notes:
I hope you liked it. Thanks for reading.