Author's Chapter Notes:
I know, you are all shocked as hell that I am posting a chapter, right? I told you I wouldn't leave a WIP...just annoy the hell out of you for taking so long to post. So sorry for the insane delay. Hope you like. As always, thanks for the reviews from the last chapter and a great big pile of awesome to my beta, Lauriel! *HUGGLES*
Amazingly calm, despite the shocking news cast from the night before, Buffy leaned casually against the kitchen counter and savored each spoonful of vanilla yogurt she was putting in her mouth while gazing happily out the window just over the sink. While yogurt was her favorite choice for breakfast, it wasn’t the reason her face was lit up with a smile. The sole reason for the blinding glow of happiness was currently leaning against the railing on her back porch.

Buffy ogled Spike as he indulged in his morning smoke, clad in a form fitting black T-shirt and a pair of faded, way beyond well worn jeans that hugged the tight curve of his delicious backside. It surprised Buffy that this habit wasn’t a turn off like she had expected. In fact, it was quite the opposite. There was something innately sensual about the way Spike smelled; a tantalizing blend of purely male scent, leather and cigarette smoke. For the first time in her life, the smoky aroma pleased her rather than turned her off. Of course, the innately sexual way he held the slender cigarette, fondled it between his forefinger and thumb, gently rested it between his sensual lips and sucked on it softly could possibly be part of the attraction. There was no denying that the man had a talent for taking non-sexual actions and turning them into something that could bring a woman to her knees with desire.

Buffy sighed in appreciation as the early morning light filtered through the smattering of trees to play delicately on his tousled locks, softening the harsh platinum strands into a buttery hue. He seemed oblivious to the enthralled eyes drinking in the sight of him from just beyond the blinds in the kitchen window as he stubbed out the ember tip of his cigarette in the ashtray Buffy had kindly procured and stretched languidly. Her heart skipped a beat, her mouth dried instantly as his shirt eased upward and presented her with a tasty view of his pale, smooth back and insanely sexy indentations just above his hip bones.

Mouth agape, Buffy mindlessly let the yogurt container and spoon clatter into the stainless steel sink with a thud as she licked her lips in appreciation for the man in her line of sight. She’d never ogled someone with the intensity she seemed to muster up for Spike. Sure, there’d been the occasional admiring stare from behind a well placed book or clothing rack as she checked out an attractive male in the area, but nothing as downright obvious as what she was currently indulging in. Lost in a very perverse thought about a certain celebrity’s delectable rear end, which she had already declared to be the finest derrière in the world, Buffy squeaked in surprise when she noticed that the object of her fantasy was now facing directly toward the kitchen window with a very proud smirk plastered across his face. Blushing profusely, she set about cleaning up the small mess she’d made and ignored Spike’s obvious humor in finding her ogling him.

Buffy’s blush deepened when, out of the corner of the corner of her eye she saw Spike whip off his shirt and teasingly scratch the rather sexy patch of hair that trailed down from his navel to disappear into the waistband of his jeans. He was obviously trying to get a rise out of her since he knew she had a severe attraction to that particular location of his body, as she had proven the night before with a very thorough exploration of that area with her tongue. Buffy tried her best to appear nonchalant and not encourage his actions since there was definitely not enough time to indulge in anything sexual before work; she dutifully continued to clean up the already spotless kitchen by sticking the spoon into the dishwasher and tossing the empty yogurt container into the garbage. Coyly glancing out the window, she was rewarded with the view of Spike flicking open the button on his jeans as he sauntered towards the back door with a leering grin. Thankfully, the ringing of her cell phone drew her attentions elsewhere. She so could not afford to be late this morning, too! No matter how tempting the offer.

Turning her back on him, Buffy flicked open her cell phone and answered as calmly as one could with a pair of skilled hands roaming up the outside of their thighs, causing a deep burn to build in her nether regions. Her legs weakened, her resolve began to crumble as he slipped a hand between her trembling thighs and tickled his fingers along the bare skin. His lips feasted along the exposed skin along the nape of her neck, teeth nipping the sensitive skin as his fingers inched upward toward the more delicate area underneath the proper rose colored skirt she had chosen for the day. Just as one nimble digit began to swirl around the sensitive nub that lay tucked away beneath the lacy lavender thong, Buffy stifled a moan and mustered up enough nerve to pull away from Spike.

Swatting at Spike’s hands as he grabbed for her, Buffy skirted across the kitchen with a mischievous grin and half way paid attention to the voice on the other end of the phone. Catching the tail end of what Robin was saying, Buffy held up her hand indicating for Spike to stop and walked towards the living room on shaky legs.

“I’m sorry, Robin.” Buffy apologized with an amazingly calm voice as she walked into the living room. “What did you just say?” As she listened to her principal repeat his statement, Buffy sank onto the edge of the sofa feeling as though the air had been sucked from her lungs.

Spike leaned against the doorframe of the kitchen entryway and felt his stomach lurch at the sight of the paled expression on Buffy’s face. It was obvious from her body language that whatever her boss was conveying over the phone was anything but positive news. Catching her eye, he mouthed, ‘What’s wrong?’ Only to be brushed aside with a flick of Buffy’s hand. Realizing that the moment for a bit of morning delight had seriously passed, Spike slipped his shirt back on and took a seat on one of the stairs in the foyer.

“Of course, Robin, I understand your concern. Uh-huh, sure…it’s not a problem. I’m due for a vacation, I guess. My schedule is fairly light this week so it shouldn’t be anything that one of the other counselors couldn’t cover. Um, I’ll give you a call this weekend to see about next week’s schedule. Thanks, Robin.” With a grim expression Buffy closed the cell phone and looked at Spike. “We’ve been made.”

Spike pulled himself off the stairs and headed toward where Buffy was sitting on the sofa. “What do you mean, pet? What’s happened?”

“Robin went in to work early, thank heavens for small miracles because he’s usually pulling up when I am since he drops Nikki at school on his way in. Anyway, when he got there he was instantly swarmed by a herd of reporters in the parking lot.” Buffy sighed and allowed Spike to pull her off the arm of the sofa into a comforting embrace. “We don’t have much time. Sunnydale is super small, they’ll figure out where I live soon enough. What am I going to do?”

“I think you mean, what are we going to do, love. I’m in this just as deep as you are, yeah?” Spike looked down into her luminous eyes and frowned at the worry and sadness there; emotions that he helped put there. Feeling courageous, he brushed a tear away from her cheek and asked, “You against a road trip?”

Less than fifteen minutes later they were packed and ready to go. Well, rather Spike was ready to go since he only had a small bag of clothes and such in the first place. On the other hand, Buffy felt harried and unprepared even though Spike promised her that anything she needed once they got to Los Angeles would be provided without hesitation. Trusting Spike’s word that everything was going to be all right, Buffy locked the front door and hurried down the walkway to the rental car he was waiting next to. Allowing Spike to be a gentleman and open the passenger door, Buffy slipped inside with a heavy heart and couldn’t help but wonder what this meant for life as she knew it.


Chapter End Notes:
I know I have no right to beg for reviews....but, pretty please? LOL