Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for long delay on the update but you all know real life can get in the way and the muse not brewing also thanks chocoholicgirl03 as always you rock
Spike went back to the factory to check on Dru. He really wasn't in the mood to deal with her and her ramblings, her dolls, and her visions. As much as he loved her, she could be tiresome. That and she knew Angel was in town. He growled deeply. He did not like the fact she had played him to get closer to Angel. But he knew he had to deal with her. If he didn't take care of her, who would. It sure as hell wouldn't be Angel. To make matters worse, he was frustrated with the feelings he had for the Slayer. Feelings that didn't involve killing her. There was just something about her. Something so vibrant and alive. It was obvious she enjoyed her work as the Slayer, but she wasn't letting it define her. She had friends, a lot of them, and a mum who'd tear into anyone or anything that'd dare hurt her baby girl. Yes, Buffy Summers was something else indeed. Shaking thoughts of her from his head before Dru could pick up on them and make a huge deal out of it, he entered the factory. "Dru, pet, where are you?"

Dru giggled, slipping up behind him. "Miss Edith and I are playing Hide and Seek. You've interrupted the game and made the pixies stop singing to me...." She pouted faintly, shooing him away. "Go, shoo, I'm busy....."

Spike rolled his eyes, stomping off. Fine! If she didn't want him around that was just fine with him! He wandered the city, surprised when he looked up and found himself at Buffy's house. Listening carefully he could tell that the Slayer was asleep upstairs. He could hear her slow, regular heart beat and breathing. Hesitating, he shifted, unsure whether he should stay or go. At the moment, all he wanted and needed was someone to talk to about all this.

Hesitantly he made his way up the back steps, tapping lightly on the back door, spotting Joyce looking through a magazine at the kitchen table.

Looking up Joyce smiled, opening the door. "Spike. How nice to see you again. I'm afraid Buffy's asleep. She's pretty worn out from everything that's going on.... I'll tell her you came by....."

Spike nodded. "I know. Thanks...."

Looking him over Joyce smiled. "Come on in. Sit down. How about another cup of cocoa. You look like you could use someone to talk to."

Smiling slightly he nodded. "Thank you Mrs. Summers....” he sat at the table, doing his best not to do anything to scare her. He liked her. And she was important to the Slayer. Reason enough to be on his best behavior.

Joyce laughed, getting out a pan to heat the milk in. "Oh, please, no, call me Joyce. It seems odd, you calling me Mrs. Summers. For one, I'm divorced from Buffy's father. And two," She smiled at him over her shoulder. "I'm certain you're quite a bit older than me...."

Spike stared at her for a moment before laughing warmly. How long had it been since he'd laughed like that? Too long he decided. "Well, you do have a point...."

Setting a steaming mug of cocoa topped with a generous layer of miniature marshmallows she smiled. "From now on, it's Joyce. And you're welcome here any time. Whether Buffy's here or not. I'm sure it's been an..... unusual night for you too."

Sipping the rich cocoa he nodded. "Unusual doesn't even scratch th' surface Joyce. Not even close....."

Laying a hand over one of his cool one she nodded. "Then why don't you tell me about it. I may not be able to help, but I'll try. And if nothing else, you'll feel better not having it all bottled up inside anymore."

Spike smiled at her. A real, genuine smile. It had been so long since he'd had anyone care about him so much and take such an interest in his thoughts and feelings.

Spike sat at the kitchen table, watching Joyce as she moved around the kitchen. Call it old fashioned or whatever, but there was a part of him that really liked to see a woman in the kitchen who enjoyed being there. "Joyce, you sure you don't mind me bein' here while th' Slayer's sleeping? I don't want her to be upset that you let me in here while she couldn't protect you. Not that I would do anything to you. You're alright by me." He smiled slightly

Setting a steaming mug of cocoa in front of him, she lightly laid a hand over his. "Of course not. Buffy even said that she feels that she could trust you when you say your not going do something. So, how old are you? Not vampire years but human years. Did you leave any family when you were turned?" Joyce asked, watching him sip his cocoa. "You don't have to tell me if you're not comfortable talking about it. It's just I've never had cocoa with a vampire before, that I know of." She laughed slightly, as there was a knock on the front door. "Hold that thought Spike, and let me get that."

Spike nodded, watching her. "Jus' be careful. Don't want any nasties gettin' to you....."

Joyce went to get the door and was surprise that it was Buffy's watcher. "Rupert is everything okay?" Joyce asked, worried.

"O-of course Ms. Summers..... I am sorry to come this late in the evening, but I wanted to make sure you were really all right with all that you have learned these last couple of days....." Rupert stammered, blushing slightly as he cleaned his glasses.

Smiling, Joyce shrugged slightly. "As well as can be expected I suppose. There's really nothing I can do to change anything so I figured I might as well get used to it and do what I can to help. Oh please forgive me, come in Rupert, Spike and I were just getting to know each other over some cocoa. Would you like some?" She asked.

"W-What?! " Giles stammered.

Spike nodded to the Watcher, carefully holding his mug. "Watcher. Joyce, you got some more of those little marshmallows?"

Nodding she smiled. "Of course, I'll get them for you. Would you prefer tea, Rupert? I can brew some?"

Watching the two with his jaw almost on the floor, Giles followed them into the kitchen.

Spike snorted. "Knock it off Watcher. Stop you're worrying. I wouldn't do a thing t' hurt Joyce. The Slayer dust me in a second if I even thought of nipping at her. ‘'Sides, she makes a helluva cup of cocoa!" He smiled at Joyce, happily slurping his cocoa.

"Yes, yes, quite....." Giles murmured, taking a seat beside Joyce at the table, watching Spike's every move.

"Rupert, it's fine. He's been a perfect gentleman. We've been having a very nice talk. He wants to protect Buffy as much as you and I do." Joyce murmured softly.

"I find that a bit hard to believe, considering Spike is known as the Slayer of Slayers." Giles growled.

Spike shrugged. "Dunno what you expect me t' say. Yeah. I've killed Slayers. Got no intention of killin' this one, or lettin' anything else kill her. Sure as hell not gonna let Angel get too close to her. He's th' one you should be worrying about Watcher. That soul of his, it's just barely hangin' on by a thread. Won't take much for him t' lose it. When that happens, no one's safe. You know that better than anyone Watcher."

Rupert sighed deeply. "You do have a point. And seeing as how Mrs. Summers is unharmed..."

"More than unharmed. You two boys stop your posturing and get along or you're both out of here. Now, Rupert, cocoa or tea?" Joyce asked in her most no nonsense tone.


Chapter End Notes:
please feed the muse and review