A/N:
For now, all these chapters are going up beta-free so bear with me. Love you guys. I'm taking you to the end. :)

Chapter 19

“He just gave me this,” Xander pulled out a white envelope from the pocket of his shirt. “Snyder said it had nothing to do with him, it came from the top, from Mr. Fancypants Summers himself.”

Buffy shifted uncomfortably in her seat next to Xander on the sofa. She read the short, brutal letter, cringing, “Increase efficiency…cut corporate fat—God Xander, I’m so sorry that you got fired.”

“And then to make my shitty life complete, I go to Anya for some comfort and for some sexual healing and she kicks me out,” Xander covered his face and burst into tears, shocking and taking Buffy by surprise.

“Oh…uh, there, there,” She patted him gently on the arm. “Um, you need a Kleenex?”

Xander nodded and blew his nose loudly before resting his head on Buffy’s shoulder. “You don’t understand how bad this is, for Anya to kick me out…she’s pissed, hell, she’s beyond pissed.”

“I’m sure she’ll calm down and besides you’ll get another job.” Buffy squirmed, Xander’s head weighing heavily against her. “Everything will be--.”

“Hey, Harris hands off my girl. Don’t make me kick your mopey ass.”

“William.” Buffy sighed in relief when he came down the basement stairs.

“You miss me, love?” William winked at Buffy.

“My hands weren’t near her, I swear. I was just borrowing her shoulder so I could cry on it,” Xander explained sitting up.

“Her shoulder is off limits to you too. Here you are. Your mum is letting you borrow her entire collection of weepy songs.” William handed Xander the box of albums. “But return ‘em by next week or she’ll come hunting for me.”

“Only the sweet sounds of country crooning can soothe my pain in a time like this,” Xander announced dramatically with a sniffle, holding the box to his chest and heading towards his bedroom. “If you need me, I’ll be laying on my bed, alone, staring at the ceiling, alone, and listening to Dolly.”

“Alone?”

“Yeah.” Xander wiped his eyes, not finding William very funny. He walked into his room, shutting the door behind him.
***

“William, have you seen my shirt?” Buffy searched through the stacks of their folded clothes, finding nothing.

“Here.”

“Thank you.” She accepted the crumbled ball of fabric. “I can change out here, right? Xander shouldn’t be popping in for any reason?”

“I don’t think so.” When William finished setting up their bed, he sat on the edge. “I guess I’m going to talk to him.” He scratched the back of his head and sighed. “I owe him; the least I can do is get him drunk enough to pass out. If not, I fear he’ll just be up all night sniveling.”

“I feel so bad…do you think Anya will really dump him?”

“I don’t know.” William watched Buffy gracefully shift her balance from leg to leg as she slid out of her jeans. “The bird’s awfully involved with her money and now that Xander’s not going to be bringing any in…”

“Well that’s just stupid,” Buffy pulled off her sweatshirt and unhooked the clasp on her bra. “Not everything’s about money.”

“Is that so?”

“Yeah, it’s not. Not for me anyway, not anymore. Money doesn’t make my world go ‘round.” Buffy pulled her hair out from underneath the collar of her t-shirt as she walked closer to William. “Hey you, wipe that smirk off your face.”

“So what is everything about now? Now that you’re reformed? What makes your world go ‘round?”

“Well I’m not going to say it’s you.”

“No?”

“Nope.” She smiled and climbed into his lap, wrapping her legs causally around him. She tucked her head under his chin and hugged him tightly. “Don’t stay up too late with Xander, our appointment’s tomorrow.”

“You’re changing the subject.”

“I am. But only for your sake, so your ego won’t get inflated anymore than it already is.”

“How thoughtful of you, kitten.”

“I know.” She laughed lightly before holding and bringing his face close for a number of kisses. “I’m always thinking about you, baby.”

William reclined them back into a laying position, kissing Buffy deeply and sliding his hands under Buffy’s shirt, “Buffy, we shouldn’t. I need to…”

“Xander.” She nodded, taking his hands from her breasts and guiding them around her back. “Just stay with me till I fall asleep. Hold me.”

He inhaled sharply, overcome by emotion, the need in her voice and her warmth of her body radiating against him. “I think I can do that.”
***

“I left a few messages, at least sixty but probably closer to seventy, give or take a few.” Xander shrugged and popped open another beer can. “I filled up her answering machine but I’m still calling about every twenty minutes.”

“You’re practically stalking her, mate. She’s probably hiding from you.”

“What do you suggest that I do? Write Anya a fucking poem?”

“Hey now,” William glared at Xander’s laughter. “You’d better watch it, Harris or I’m outta here and I’m taking the booze with me. I’d rather be sleeping anyway.”

“With your sweetie pie Buffy… you know, you and Buffy make me wanna puke. I mean, you guys are fucking inseparable. You live together, you work together and…”

“And you’re jealous aren’t you?

“No—well…yes! You bastard! You’re like halfway to marital bliss and you’re getting a visit from Mr. Stork—I don’t want that…but…shit, I don’t know.” Xander pouted and he tried to ignore William’s proud smirk. “All I know is that I hate you guys.”
***

Awww. Aren’t they cute?

Buffy wrinkled her nose and dodged the empty beer cans that were scattered on the floor.

“Wake up,” She spoke softly while nudging William’s stomach with her barefoot. “William.” He was sprawled out on the floor still asleep. Xander was in a similar state on his bed, snoring loudly and clutching a pillow to his chest.

“We need to go soon.” Buffy dropped to her knees and ran her fingers through William’s hair.

“Hmmm…Buffy.”

Works every time, she smiled at the thought and she continued to stroke the side of his face. “Hey baby, how are you feeling?”

“I’ll let you know once I start moving around.” He groaned and rearranged his arms under his head. “What time is it, love?”

“A little after noon, I let you sleep for as long as I could.”

“Doctor’s appointment, yeah… I think I drank too much Buffy. I remember talking about weddings and…and that’s about it.”

“Weddings? What kind of man-talk is that?”

“Manly man-talk that you wouldn’t understand.”

“Oh, so who’s wedding were you planning or is that part foggy too?”

“Um,” William avoided her eyes. “That I can’t remember. How much time do we have?”

“Now who’s changing the subject?” Buffy laughed, seeing his guilty expression. “If we drive quickly, you definitely have twenty minutes.”
***

“You think you got enough brochures there, William?”

“No.” William carefully stacked the large pile and nervously looked around the waiting room. “You think I could take more stuff for my headache yet? It’s killing me.”

“You shouldn’t, it hasn’t been long enough. You shouldn’t drink so much--.”

“Yeah, yeah.” William shifted to the edge of his seat and searched the table for more information. “I hope we don’t have to wait much longer. I hate waiting. Do you think the doc will give us more pamphlets? I want everything available. I haven’t got a clue about any of this baby stuff.”

“William, settle down. You’re making me nervous.”

“Oh, I’m sorry, love.” He sighed and wrapped an arm around Buffy. She rested her head on his shoulder.

“I called Mom while you were in the shower. She named off all these tests that I’d have to go through and then she started telling me all of her best pregnancy stories about swelling feet, back pain and about puking in planters…”

“Planters, eh?”

“I don’t want to throw up all the time. I don’t want to get fat.”

“You won’t be fat, princess, you’ll be pregnant. You’ll have that beautiful mother-to-be glow that people about. But the part about tossing your cookies, I doubt that that is avoidable--.”

“Hell, didn’t I glow enough before? I used to spend a small fortune on makeup, William.”

“Is that a trick question? Because I don’t think my head can handle one of those right now--.”

“Lucille? Lucille Vanderlow?”

“Come on Richie, it’s showtime.” Buffy grabbed William’s hand and they followed the nurse out of the waiting room.
***

William’s head pounded and he couldn’t pay attention to anything that the doctor was saying.

She’s seven weeks pregnant.

As soon as William heard the number it was all he could think about.

We talked and she said if the baby were Angel’s she’d be about six weeks pregnant, so her being seven must mean… Sure I didn’t demand to know her entire sexual history but if there was a chance of the baby having different father…she didn’t tell me.

I need to get out of here. I need to think.

“Um, excuse me is there a bathroom nearby?”
***

Buffy frowned, “What time is it?”

“He’s been gone for twenty minutes, Lucille. Don’t worry he’s probably just waiting in the lobby. Besides a lot of guys would rather not stick around for the pelvic and physical exams.” The doctor laughed and gave Buffy a reassuring pat on the knee before scribbling out Buffy’s prescription for prenatal vitamins. “So how long have you and Richie been married?”

“Not long.”

“Oh a whirlwind romance?”

“I guess you can call it that. Can I ask you a question?”

“Sure that’s what I’m here for Lucille.”

Buffy cleared her throat and thought of the best way to word her question. “Before I meet…Richie, I slept with another guy, just once and it happened while I was on the pill.”

“Did you use a condom?”

“No. But when Richie and I got together I forgot to take the pill for awhile, maybe even over a week.”

“So you have doubts if the baby is Richie’s?”

“Yes. Is there anyway of knowing for sure before the baby’s born?”

“Well I’m guessing you didn’t have your period between both encounters, so you can’t be one hundred percent positive of who the father is without paternity testing. We’ll be able to make a better guess after your ultrasound but still nothing can be guaranteed. We can look into having the paternity tested by amnio or after your baby is born. Have you asked your husband how he feels about the possibility of him not being the father?”

“He says he won’t have a problem with raising the baby either way.” Buffy said quietly.

“Lucille, you should also remember that only eight out of one hundred women get pregnant while taking birth control pills and with consistent and correct use of the pill that number of pregnant women declines even more.”

“So the baby could definitely be William’s and I’m just losing my mind for no reason?” Buffy thought out loud, forgetting about the doctor for a moment.

“William?”

“Oh, I meant Richie, it’s his middle name, and he goes by both names. Speaking of Richie, I think I need to find him now.”
***

Buffy found William sitting in a corner. His notebook was in his lap and he looked deep in thought, biting on the cap of his pen.

Does he go anywhere without that notebook? Buffy wondered as she made her way across the waiting room.

“William, I’m done. We can go home now.”

“Ok,” He gathered his things, quickly and followed Buffy out of the doctor’s office and to the car. “How’d everything go?”

“Good, thanks for asking.”

“You still want to go out for dinner?”

“No.”

William ran to the passenger side and opened the door for Buffy. “No? You sure?”

“Positive.” Without looking at him, she got in and buckled her seatbelt. “I just want to go home, William.”

“Ok, we’ll do whatever you want, Buffy.” William got behind the wheel, knowing it would be a long and quiet ride back to Xander’s basement.

“Why did you leave?”

Or maybe the ride won’t be so quiet after all. William took a deep breath, “You’re seven weeks pregnant Buffy.”

“So?”

“So? You said it yourself that if you were six weeks along the baby would probably be the poof’s and now that your seven weeks…”

“Did you pay attention to the doctor, William?”

“I tried to but--.”

“William, the baby can only be yours or Angel’s. There isn’t another ‘could be’ daddy out there somewhere. My last period ended seven weeks ago and that is considered when my pregnancy started.”

“I can still be the father?”

“William, is that what made you upset?”

“Of course that’s what made me upset. I want to be the father of your baby Buffy. Haven’t I made that clear? Just the possibility of the baby being Angel’s makes me insanely jealous because he doesn’t deserve the honor just like he didn’t deserve you.”

“You’ve made it very clear, William.” Buffy unhooked her seatbelt and scooted to the middle seat. “Very, very clear and I couldn’t love you more for it.”

“You’re not mad at me anymore?”

“No, besides soon after you left came the blood tests.”

“I’m happy to miss that. Are you sure you still don’t want to go out tonight? We have the night off from work, we should take advantage of it.”

“Nope, I just want a quiet night in the basement. It looks like it’s going to rain anyway. It’s nice snuggling weather.”

“Snuggling we can do but quiet? Remember Harris is still down there.”

“Well then maybe it will just have to be your job to get him out of there because Xander’s definitely not going to have his drinking buddy with him tonight.”

“Oooh really?”

“Really. You’re mine tonight William.”

“Aren’t I always? Yours, Buffy?”
***

“You order the food and I’ll see what Xander’s up to.” William squeezed Buffy’s hand before letting go and heading to Xander’s bedroom.

That ended nicely, I’m so glad we didn’t fight. Buffy sat on the sofa with the phonebook and cell in her lap. With a smile on her face, she searched for the number for her favorite take-out pizza place.

I know I saw coupons around here somewhere… Buffy scanned the room before remembering that she had put them into her purse.

“Crap.” Buffy mumbled under her breath. “William?”

“Yeah, love?”

“I forgot that I had a prescription to drop off.”

“We can go later.” William appeared in the living room. “Or I’ll go.”

“How’s Xander?” Buffy whispered before getting to her feet.

“I’m trying to talk him into giving Anya a surprise visit.” William winked, “So far, so good, with a little more prodding he’ll be good to go.”

“Why don’t you just continue with Xander and I’ll go to Walgreens. I can drop of the prescription and pick up something for dinner.”

“You sure? It sounds like it’s raining out there.”

“It won’t take me too long and Walgreens is just down the street. You can set the table while I’m gone. Keys please.”

“That sounds like a date.” William dropped the car keys in Buffy’s outreached hand. “Be careful, pet.”

“I’m always careful,” Buffy smiled before kissing William goodbye.
***

Buffy twisted the key in the ignition one more time, the motor turned over but it wouldn’t kick into life.

“Stupid car.” She pushed off the radio and pulled out her cell phone, not willing to get out into the rain again.

“Anya?”

“No, Xander I’m sorry it’s just Buffy. Can I talk to William?”

“Yeah, wait a sec.”

Buffy turned on the windshield wipers and stared as the rain continued to fall. “Buffy? Is something wrong?”

“I can’t get Mom’s car to start. You were right; it’s raining a lot out here. I’m thinking something got flooded.”

“Ok, I’ll check on the car and if we can get it to start, I’ll drive you where ever you need to go, alright? I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“Ok. Love you, William.”

“Love you too.”
***

“It’s bloody pouring.” William turned up is collar and stepped out of the house. Because of the rain, it was darker than usual for that time of night. He squinted ahead and a strange van caught his attention.

“Firm but Fair Collection and Eviction Agency?” He read the printing on the vehicle, wondering why it was pulled up close to Buffy’s parking place.

Maybe someone’s helping her with the car—

William froze in shock hearing Buffy’s muffled cries and watching as a man tried to drag her out of the car and into the van. “No, no.” William whispered helplessly before running towards the van. “No! Stop! Buffy!”
***

“Will, you’re not making any sense. You need to clam down.”

“He took her! The guy that was in the trunk, her ex, he took her. What as his name Rodney? Rory?” William paced the living room as angry, scared tears fell down his face. His brain was working against him, sending William a variety of thoughts and memories of the day he kidnapped her, of the intoxicated insanity of their first night together, and of the relaxed pleasure of their recent days. William couldn’t focus on any one thought. He couldn’t sit still. “If he hurts her… if he touches her I’ll kill him!”

“Hey, whoa there cowboy. You need to find the guy first before you can kill him. You also need a car or someway to get where ever he has taken her.”

“I’ll ride a bloody tricycle if I have to.”

Xander rubbed his chin, “We can’t call the police… Damn, this could be difficult, man. Maybe you’ll find resources you never knew you had. On the other hand, maybe not. Maybe the woman you love and your unborn child will die a slow, miserable death at the hands on some guy, leaving you to feel guilty for the rest of your life.”

“Xander! You’re not helping! Not in the slightest!”

“Just telling you straight, Will.”

“Well you can just shut your bloody trap if you’re going to be spouting shit like that… Let me think, what would Buffy do? She was—is always better at this stuff.”

“You said that you read the side of the van. Can you remember what it said?”

“Sure I remember but what good would the name on the van be? What kind of idiot would kidnap Buffy in a company van and then take her back to the family business?”

“Maybe the same guy who found himself tied up in a trunk of a car driven by bounty hunters?”

“Give me that phonebook.”
***

“Thank you. No message. I’ll call later.” Riley replaced the receiver. “Your father’s not in his office and Giles isn’t answering his phone either.”

A few feet few in a large warehouse, Buffy sat at a wooden table. She was tied to a ratty lounge chair and thick tape had been strapped across her mouth. A tennis sweatband was stretched over her forehead.

“Oh well, we’ll call them again later.” Riley pulled up a chair and sat across from Buffy, who was openly glaring at him. “I’m sorry it had to come to this, Buffy but you need help. You’ve been brainwashed by a criminal mastermind. Hopefully it’s not too late for you.” He have her a reassuring smile before stroking her face. “Watch it, jerking like that will make you fall back. I won’t hurt you, you’ve been hurt enough already.”

Buffy closed her eyes, exhausted. Being kidnapped wasn’t too distressing for her. She was more worried about William. She hoped he’d be smart and that he’d stay away.

Buffy was almost asleep before the doorbell rang.
***