Chapter One
For Sale

The loud bagging of a hammer moved in time with the second hand on her watch, as she peered at it once again. She was going to be late again. Snyder was going to kill her for sure this time, this would be the third time this month that she was late, and she’d get a detention for sure.

“Come on Mom, I’m late again, Snyder’s gonna love this!” Dawn yelled towards her mother, as she made her way to the front door, “Can’t I just stake him and be done with it already!”

“Okay, okay, just wait a minute!” Joyce voice was strained at hearing her daughter’s demands, as she scramble around her looking for her keys, “I cannot find my keys, where are they?”

“They’re on the coffee table mom!” Buffy said with a laugh as she bounded down the stairs, “Where you always leave them!”

Joyce walked to the table, pick up her keys and motioned to her two daughter’s to vacate the house, with a sweeping of her hands, “Let’s go!”

The hammering that could be heard earlier became more acute as the front door opened, and the family left the house. It became apparent as the girls walked toward the Jeep, that a ‘FOR SALE’ sign was being erected on the neighbours’ front lawn. Sitting there as bold as brass telling the world that the old Coopers’ place had finally gone up for sale, after years of neglect by the previous owners. The gardens resembled a forest more than flowerbeds and lawns, the trees hadn’t been trimmed in years, and the house looked like it was about to cave in.

“So Old Man Coopers’ finally hit the bucket!” Dawn stating the obvious for all.

“Dawn, don’t speak about the dead like that!” her mother responded harshly.

“Buuttt Mommmm!”

“Dawn it isn’t proper to speak of the dead like that, even if he was a pain in the backside,” Joyce commented with a smirk on her face, both of her two girls breaking out in laughter at their mothers little outburst.

“Well let’s just hope that who ever buys the place isn’t as creepy as Old Man Cooper was,” Buffy looked at the old house hoping against hope that the new owners wouldn’t be a weird as Old Man Cooper had been.

The drive to Sunnydale High went quickly and without much comment from any of the passengers in the car. Dawn was too interested in the homework that she hadn’t done the night before, and Buffy with the make up she had yet to apply before she got to class.

“Well Miss I hope that you put as much effort in your studies as you do your make up!”

Joyce reprimanding her daughter for her lack of interest in her schooling, as she pulled into the school drive. This had become a major issue in the Summers’ household this last term. Buffy’s grades had been falling and Joyce was beginning to wounder why, there was no apparent reason, but she wondered if it has something to do with that dreadful man Riley. Her boyfriend in college, Riley had just dumped her on her 18th birthday, and Joyce still had yet to prize it out of Buffy why they had split.

She still couldn’t believe that her eldest had turned 18, and Dawn was about to turn 15, since they were such contradictions of each other. Buffy was wild and impulsive, but had a responsible attitude, and Dawn was serious and studious, with her face forever in a book, or doing her homework. They were like chalk and cheese, she wondered sometimes how they ever could be related to each other.

Joyce let out a long sigh, as she watched her eldest finish applying her make up, and pulled out of the curve to continue on their journey onto Sunnydale campus to drop off Buffy for her day’s classes.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



‘Ugh, psychology again’, Buffy wondered to herself as she made her way down to her class, ‘Why do we have to do something that I swear I’ll never use in my lifetime?’ As she turned the corner she was approaching, she collided with another human being that happened to be the male that filled some of her waking thoughts, and her sleep with nightmares. Riley.

“Oh my god, I am so sorry, here let me help you,” Riley said to Buffy, as she picked up the books that had been knocked out her hands, and had gone flying across the hallway.

“Its okay, I I I I don’t need anyyyyyy help thank you,” she stuttered as she stumbled to pick up her books, and tried to find her composure that she seemed to have lost.

“But Buff, I can help?” Riley tried to help pick up her books that still remained on the floor.

“I don’t need or want your type of help,” Buffy finished retrieving her books, looking at Riley with a sense of disgusted on her face.

“Hey Buffy, what offence did I commit to deserve this type of treatment?”

“I would have thought the fact that you’re still breathing was an offence,” Buffy retorted to his stupid statement, he knew what he had done to her.

“So what, one day you breathe hot then cold," Riley snorted out, “What are you dead, or something?”

“Only where you’re concerned.”

“What did I do to you?”

Buffy hesitated with the attention that they seemed to be drawing in, from the crowd around them. She contemplated it for about 0.25 seconds and thought ‘why not?’ and finally did something she should have done ages ago.


“Riley, you say that I blow hot and cold, but at least I know what ‘yes’ and ‘no’ means.
Not ‘yes’ means ‘no’, and ‘stop’ means rip my blouse off,” Buffy said it in a calm and loud voice, and with what little nerve she had left she turned and walked away from the little scene.

She’d done it, she’d showed him that Buffy Summers’ was one not to be played with, used or abused. She promised herself from that day on that no man would ever walk over her again.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Three Weeks Later

A solitary figure moved in front of the house with a very tightly bundled bit of woollen cloth, pulled close to his chest. He gently bobbed the bundle up and down in his hands, slowly and rhythmically, keeping it close to him at all times. He pulled it even closer to his body as he bent down, pulled out a large envelope in his hands, and removed the “SOLD” sticker. He looked at the sticker for a little while, as if mesmerised by it. It’s definitive meaning, which meant more to him than anyone could ever conceive.

What it would mean to him and the little bundle he held in his arms.

It was so final, but also a new beginning. Like shutting an old door, and opening a new one.

“Well Little Bit welcome to our new home,” the figure removed the back of the sticker and balanced the bundle on one knee as he placed it on the FOR SALE sign.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Unbeknownst to the man he was being watched by a single female next door, looking out the window of her bedroom on the second floor. Watching the solitary figure with the bundle in his hands, she noticed the striking platinum blonde hair and most importantly she thought, ‘oh my god what a hottie!! ’. However, the bundle began to squirm and cry out, she couldn’t help but notice the baby within his arms, trying to get out of its restraint in the blanket it was wrapped in. She watched as the stranger tried to sooth the baby, with a voice that she couldn’t hear, but only could imagine, as the baby settled to his rhythm of speech, she wondered what lullaby he appeared to be singing to the infant.
.
“Please, please, please be the new owner, and please not be married, or let the kid be your brother,” Buffy whispered to herself, as she continued to watch the two as they turned and began to walk in the direction of the Summers’ house, and move to the sidewalk.

Buffy continued to watch the man and child walk down the street, looking at him as closely as she could. She noticed the hard clean line of his dominate cheekbones, and square jaw, but was continually drawn back to that hair. It was short and slicked back to the sides, but what most attention grabbing was its colour. It’s platinum blond, almost white in colour, absolutely contrasted by the black jeans and long black leather jacket he wore. The combination was so lethal it should be illegal, Buffy contemplated too herself, he was so alluring to her at that moment in time. With this thought she caught herself short, catching herself off guard, she couldn’t believe that she had just thought, what she’d thought. Trying to remember the promise she had made to herself concerning men, or any man in fact.

“Oh my god, just what I need a Billy Idol wanna be!” she spoke aloud to herself. Chiding herself for even thinking bad thoughts, especially after what Riley had done to her. She was so off men. But she couldn’t help herself but be drawn to this man, to a place she feared would bring her to a dark place again. A place she felt would only bring her weakness, when she craved only strength to free herself from the darkness that Riley had brought into her life.

She had decided that she would never allow a man to create such havoc in her life again. Especially after the night that Riley had decided that he’d waited enough time for Buffy too come her senses and give him what he wanted. Which in this case had been his demand to take their relationship further. Something that Buffy herself had not been ready to do, it had not been the right moment for her and she hadn’t felt it was the right time in their relationship yet.

But Riley had decided for them both, that it had been indeed the right time, much to Buffy’s cries of ‘no’ and ‘please stop’. He simply decided to ignore her, and in the end only created a nightmare for Buffy. One that seemed to haunt her at night in her dreams and created chaos in her attempts to move forward with her life.

And she wanted her life back again…