Mine


Buffy sat throughout her classes with her friends as the day passed quickly, it was hard to concentrate without thinking about the events of the last few days. She realised that she would never raise that proverbial ‘white flag’, or put up her hands and surrender. She was in love, and nothing would deter her from the course she had set for herself. Even her friends had noticed the change within her, and recognised that she was turning her life around. Even if it was the mysterious Mr Gordo, Tara had yet to break her silence about Buffy’s mystery man, it was a little secret she kept to herself.



Unfortunately Spike was not so lucky. Buffy’s professor had indeed attempted to deliver, her ‘important’ file herself, and ingratiated herself into his lunchtime plan. He politely got himself out of a sticky situation, as insistent as she was, by the arrival of his father. It gave him the excuse he needed to avoid her and her plans, but his instinct told him this wouldn’t be the last attempt by Dru to gain his attention. The barracuda had sunk her teeth in, and it would be hard to extract her. It just wasn’t what he needed right now, a parasite that couldn’t accept that he was already with someone. He would have thought that walking hand in hand with Buffy was a clear indication to the world that he was involved, but Dru had just dismissed the girl as no competition. He’d have to tread carefully with her, she was trouble with a capital T.



Dru hadn’t been his only problem that day, his father had decided that it was time for a little father and son chat, especially as he had gotten himself involved with a ‘young lady’. Pleasantly enough his father enquired about Buffy and her family, how they had met, and what Buffy wanted with her life. This however preceded the verbal assault, which left Spike bewildered and deeply hurt, by his fathers conceived ideas about the couple. The usual argument that she was too young, how could she handle an ‘instant family’, and the “you’re being unreasonable William,” made him so angry he just wanted to lash out at his father. Spike had a little inkling to what Buffy must have gone through with her mother, but like her he was determined to ride this out and be with her. Maybe they should just get their parents together and let them sort out their lives for them, including new partners deemed suitable by each parent. For once Spike wished his mother was here, she’d go in to bat for him, just to annoy her ex-husband.



His day didn’t seem to get any better, anything that could go wrong did go wrong, and he was glad to see the end of the working day. It would seem that he would just have to clear the air with Buffy’s mother once and for all. He didn’t want to go headlong into an all out war with her mother, so it would be better to deal with it sooner than later. Later being tonight.



Going out to his car, he spotted Buffy leaning against it waiting for him. From his side vision, he saw the arrival of a young male student, obviously engaging Buffy in small talk. Just what he needed, more interference from another male, as if Dru hadn’t been enough today, now this. He quickly sped up his step as he saw Buffy’s obvious distress and fear displayed in her body language.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



Buffy day had passed without incident, and her little interlude with Spike, had filled her with such a bright energy that she felt she could take on the world, and that anything was possible. As she leant against his car waiting for him, she looked over her days class work, and contemplated whether to play hooky from assignments tonight, and have a quiet night with Spike and Imogen. Her daydream was shattered by the arrival of her nemesis.


Riley made his way towards the petite blonde, stopping a few feet in front of her, looking her up and down, as if summing her up. This put Buffy more on edge, she’d been able to avoid him these last few months, and she’d rather hoped that he’d dropped of the edge of some cliff, but apparently not.


“What do you want?” Buffy defensively asked her walking nightmare.


“Hey, hello to you too.” Riley replied with his usual macho bravado.


“I said what do you want?” Buffy stood her ground.


“What! Can’t a guy say hello to one of his favourite girls?”


“Look Riley, I don’t know how your sick mind works, but just go away. You’re not welcome okay!”


“Well I suppose not, now that lover boy’s on the scene hey? You know I just love his colour sense, so eighties, or did he just fall over a bottle of peroxide?”


“Look Riley just leave okay, before he comes.”



“Oh, I’m so scared! What is he gonna turn me into a pile of dust or something?” Riley took a step closer to her, “Or do you like the bit of rough and tumble he gives out?”


“Riley, you truly are a Neanderthal!” Buffy took a step sideways to avoid being so close to him, her skin crawled with him being so close to her.


“But you used to like it! What is lover boy a wimp hey, or have you just got him whipped?”


“Like what Riley? The way you treated me like a punching bag that night!”


“You truly are a little ‘ho’! What are you giving it up to any man now? Wasn’t I good enough for you? You little……….”


Buffy opened her mouth, to throw an insult back at him, but never had the opportunity as she heard a large crack of bone hitting bone. Spike struck the boy across the jaw with a closed fist that pounded him to the ground. Buffy was sure she heard Riley’s jaw break. Spike stood over the boy with a menacing look on his face, and stood back as the Riley got back up on his feet, and took a blind swing at him. Spike ducked as he missed the connection, and not missing a beat he swung and hit the boy squarely on the nose, breaking the fragile cartilage, and shattering it to little pieces. The boy yelped in pain, as blood poured from his broken nose, he didn’t even try to get up from the ground.


“You stay away from what’s mine!” Spike warned the boy, “You come within an arm’s length of her, and you will be permanently broken! Do you understand, boy?”


Spike grabbed him by the front of his shirt, and roughly pulled him up to look at the boy he held. Riley moaned in pain, as Spike slightly shook him, as if trying to rouse him. Looking at Buffy, as she stood about 10 feet from the scene, he could see the horror written on her face, and the vein of fear that ran through her. He also noticed for the first time the crowd that had gathered around the car, to watch the spectacle.


“Do I make myself clear?” Spike repeated his warning, “You stay away from her! You stay away from what belongs to me, or I WILL make you sorry!”


Letting him go, Spike turned to the crowd, and asked that someone help ‘this pathetic excuse of a man’ to the university medical centre, to see to the damage he’d inflicted on him. Awkwardly some of the students came forward and helped the injured young man to his feet, slowly moving him away from the battlefield. Spike turned to see a very shell shocked Buffy, he walked to her side and taking her arm led her to the passenger side of the car. He opened the door, and gently prodded her in to sit down. Moving to the other side of the car, he slid in and just sat behind the wheel, staring out the windscreen, not focusing on anything in particular.

“It was him wasn’t it? It was that bastard that hurt you?” Spike’s words resinated in the car, as it broke the silence between the two occupants.

“Yes.” Buffy’s word was so quiet and final.

“I’m sorry Buffy.”


“So am I.”


“For what? I’m the one who hit the bastard!”


“For having to get involved! I was handling it! I could have put him off! But no, you had to go and beat him up!” Buffy crossed her arms in a defensive mood, and turned her body away from him, the tears welled in her eyes and fell down her cheek. Taking her cue he started the car, and drove to the day-care centre, pulling up he got out of the car, slamming the door behind him.

“Will you wait for me?”

His simple request didn’t go on deaf ears, Buffy slowly nodded her head in agreement, not wanting to look at him in her present state. He quickly moved off to collect Imogen, with the heavy burden of fear lying flatly on his chest, creating an immense sense of pain in his heart. He had no doubt that he did the right thing, the bastard deserved every broken bone in his body and more. If anything in Spike’s way of thinking he got off too lightly, he could never stomach a man that hurt a woman, they were the scum of the earth, evil soulless things.

He returned with Imogen, placed her in the back baby seat and returned to the driver’s seat, gunning the engine, he made his way out of the university, and headed home, with two of the most important people in his world. He only hoped that he hadn’t done irrevocable damage to an already fragile beginning, of what he hoped was his future.




~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~



He pulled into his driveway, after a seemingly endless drive home from the university, it mirrored the drive in. Both had sat in silence, Buffy tried to hold her tears back, Spike was unsure of what to say to her. They both got out in the garage, as soon as he’d pulled the car in, Spike retrieved a sleeping Imogen from the back, as Buffy stood silently next to the car.


Taking no chances, Spike turned on the remote on his car keys and shut the garage door, with the baby on one arm, he took Buffy’s hand in the other and led her into his house. Leading her into the lounge room, he motioned her to sit, moving into the study next door. He placed a sleeping Imogen in a bassinet, pulling the blankets around her sleeping form. Brushing the baby’s head, he placed a gentle kiss on her forehead, and let go the fingers that had curled around his own in comfort.


Spike found Buffy sitting on the sofa, just staring at the walls, not looking at anything just staring into space, a glazed look in her eyes. It was as if she wasn’t even in the room with him. He moved to her side, and took a huge risk. He moved close to her side and just enveloped her into his embrace, as she welcomed him, she leaned back into his arms, her head resting on his chest. Slowly he gently rocked her in comfort, and gave her a safe haven from whatever was haunting her mind, he doubted it had anything to do with him, at this point.


Gently he combed her hair through his hands, staring as his fingers separated each strand, hypnotised by his own movements. Buffy slowly moved her head from under his chin, and just looked at him, really stared at the man that lay beside her on the sofa. A soft “Thank you,” passed her lips as she placed one of her hands on his cheeks, and applied a gentle pressure, gravitating his head towards her own, in a soft exchange of kisses, that wasn’t demanding or full of desire.



Just soft touches of reassurance, need and longing for him.



He just as gently returned her kisses, rejoicing in them, as she demonstrated her need for him. He accepted them with joy and grace, he’d never seen this strong sense of emotion from her, it was laced with trust and he hoped love. His worst fear was that she would out rightly reject him, and fear him like she obviously did Riley. He’d never had been one for physical violence, but this time he just couldn’t have helped himself. What had also struck him was the strength of the rage that had come from within him, especially when he felt she was threatened.



The need to mark her as his for the world to see, had come hurling out of him as he warned the punk, to understand that she was ‘his’, and no one else’s. He’d never felt such possessiveness about any other human being before, so much that it scared him to the core. He probably could have done more than a few broken bones, he could have done the boy some fatal harm. It become apparent to him that his feelings for the young woman that he held in his arms were becoming more than just love.




It was becoming an obsession.