Chapter Nine

Found


The relationship between neighbours became excruciatingly strained over the next few days, both avoided the other, especially the older adults. Joyce kept all the blinds down on the Benson side of the house, and the front and back doors were now kept firmly locked. The tree at the other side of the house was trimmed back, to avoid it being an escape route for the elder daughter. Joyce came home early every night and always knew the whereabouts of her girls.


Her mother’s actions were driving Buffy mad, the house had turned into a prison for her, and Joyce seemed to think that by keeping her daughter close, that she could keep her away from her seemly new fixation, Spike. What Joyce hadn’t counted on was the young woman’s determination to see him, especially when he had made his feelings to Buffy adequately clear, and he wasn’t about to give her up. Her mother had made her own feelings about the situation quite clear a few days after the night her daughter had sneaked out.


“Buffy he’s too old for you!”



“Buffy you’re too young!”



“Buffy he’s a single father!”



“Buffy be reasonable!”



Joyce tried in vain to deter her daughter from pursuing her man, they argued and disagreed upon every point that her mother tried to raise, their age, his fatherhood, and her ability to reason as an adult. The clincher came when in frustration and anger, Joyce screamed what seemed her final insult to her daughter.



“Buffy, you’re too young to know what real love is!” Joyce immediately regretted her statement, as her daughter grabbed her bag and ran out the front door. The look on her face had said it all, her anguish and disbelief were written all over it, tears ran down her cheeks. Joyce had unwittingly destroyed any joy that Buffy felt, about her ability in trying to free herself from her self imposed prison, and the delight she took in that liberty.



Slamming the front door, Buffy walked down the path of her front yard, looking longingly over to the house on the left, she tried to see if anyone was watching, hoping to see a glimpse of him, even if only for a minute. As if on cue the garage door motor started as it pulled up the roller door, the vintage car pulled out, the owner and daughter of the house, sat inside. The car backed out, and shook on its chasse as the driver hit the brakes in reaction to seeing her.



“Get in.” The command was simple and straight to the point, Buffy did as he asked, climbing into the front passenger seat. She dropped her bag on her feet and did up her seatbelt. Pulling out of the driveway, neither said a word to each other, Spike directed the car in the direction of the university. The feeling of awkwardness showered over Buffy and made her silent, unable to speak to him. She knew if she said something that she’d probably make a fool of herself, and spill all her family frustrations out on him. Her feelings for him were just too new, she didn’t want to spoil, or risk any of it by telling him the truth about how her mother felt. If he knew what they truly were, she knew that she’d probably never see him again. She’d be dumb if she thought that he didn’t think her mother was upset, the blinds and ‘non talking’ were enough to show him, that some hostility was being flung his way.



The ride to the university was too quiet, both just a little scared and unsure what to say to the other. The car drove into the university, around a few of the internal roads and bends, pulling up to the day-care centre inside one of the administration buildings, not quite sure what to make of it, she kept silent. Spike took Imogen from the back on the passenger side, out of the baby seat, and just before closing the back passenger door, he looked at the young woman in the front. “Wait here, okay. I’ll just be a little while”.



Watching him disappear into the building with his daughter, Buffy contemplated whether to flee the car and the conversation she knew was coming. She was unsure what to say to him, wondering if she should tell him the objections her mother had about them, and if so, how he would react to them. She was just too frightened that it would scare him off, and destroy this fragile new relationship between them. Buffy felt just as fragile, she truly wanted this, she had realised that when she had kept quiet during him blurting out his need for her. She needed and wanted him just as much, and she refused to risk breaking anything that was developing between them. So she would keep her mouth shut, and not tell him anything, her feelings were just too new, she wanted to breathe again, and just be ‘alive’ for want of a better explanation for herself.


So she sat and waited for him.


Time seemed to crawl as she waited for him to return. With a strong resolve, she continued to play out what she would say to him in her mind, over and over, as she reassured herself that all would be well. Nothing would stop her from getting what she wanted, not her mother, not anything, she’d made her choice, and she was going to fight for it with all her being. She’d felt so empty lately, she burned for release, she hated what she had become over the last 12 months, and now she felt more alive in her life than she had ever before.



She realised that she craved not only freedom for herself, but she craved Spike like she needed to breathe. All she saw was him, he filled her thoughts, and he’d broken the divide within her, giving her reason to return to herself. She knew that she’d fight for him, even against her mother if she had to, she would totally embrace him, his life and his family. Even she knew that it would probably have a cost attached to it, she just knew that she wanted to embrace everything that was him.


Spike approached his car, looking at the young woman sitting in the front seat, so lost in thought. He watched as the gambit of thoughts, played themselves out on her face, determination dominated them, with a hint of sadness thrown in on the side. He’d avoided her these last few days, trying to give her space to contemplate what he’d said to her, hoping to give her time to digest it. He hoped that a little time and space might let her find the same want and need within her that he had. Or maybe to decide that the intensity he felt towards her was just too much for her to handle, and it wasn’t want she wanted.



He knew that he wasn’t Joyce’s favourite person at the moment, especially with her blunt refusal to speak to him, the drawn shades on his side of the house were a dead give away. What discussion had gone on between mother and daughter played on his mind. He knew deep down inside that she would have reservations about them, but he would face them as they came, what mostly worried him was what affect they had on Buffy. He didn’t want to lose her at any point, but he knew that if her mother’s approval meant as much to her, he would respect that and back off.



If she wanted him as much as he did her, then he would stand by her, together they would try to overcome any reservations that Joyce had about them. Spike knew that Joyce wouldn’t be the only parent with reservations, his father was sure to put his ‘two pence’ in. He knew that he could handle his father, and any qualms he may have, he hoped that his father would support him getting on with his life, even if it was so soon after the loss of his wife. The other half of this equation also had some difficulties to overcome, in Buffy’s case the bastard that had done her so much damage.



Getting back into the drivers side of the car, Spike started the engine and drove away from the spot they were parked in. Heading over to the other side of the campus, he parked in the employees’ car park, pulled in a space, and killed the engine. Turning to look at Buffy, he brushed her hair out of her face, lent over and kissed her gently on the mouth. Drawn into the kiss, she pulled herself closer to him, deepening their kissing, gently tasting his closed mouth with her tongue, tempting him to open to her, joining her in this moment between them.



Forgetting everything but them, he relented to her need for him, and united with her fully in their kiss. It was bittersweet, both could feel each other’s fear, and dread. One knew the other was holding something back, yet neither could suppress the craving to be with the other. Breaking the kiss, Spike was the first to lift his head away from hers, not letting her go, he went back to just entangling his fingers back in her hair.



“You have classes?” Spike asked of her.


“Huh?”


“Classes, you know big hall, seats, teachers, books?”


“Huh? Ummm, yeah I suppose I do. But?”


“But? Later Luv, later. Cannot have you missing classes, what would your mum say?”


“Doesn’t matter what she says!”


“Yeah luv, it does. She’s your mum.”


“No it doesn’t. It doesn’t matter what she says, ok! It just doesn’t!” Buffy pushed him away, and got out of the car. It would appear that Spike had hit a nerve.


“Are we talking about the same thing, Buffy?” Spike was starting to get the clear picture from Buffy.


“Yeah………me going to classes, and what mom would say if she didn’t think I was going!” Buffy replied, unable to look at him in the eye.


“Buffy………please!” Spike walked around from his side of the car, and pulled her into his arms, despite of where they were and the attention they were causing, he kissed her again, just lightly across the lips in a sign of reassurance. “I’m not letting you go okay. Ever!”


“Look mom’s just a bit worried about me………..um you…………..ummmmmmmm you and me.” Buffy’s worried look said it all.



“Are you worried?”


“A little. She’s just……..you know………being a mom.”



‘I can understand that, I think I’d have my own worries if it was Imogen. But it’s not Buffy, it’s you, and I’m biased cause it’s you that I want. So as a parent I can understand her, but as the man who wants her daughter……….I’ll just have to try and sweet talk her around!” Spike tried to smile at the girl in his arms, but it was just so hard, he felt her internal conflict buzz inside her head, and they just didn’t need this external interference, “Do you want me to go talk to her sweetheart?”


“Oh god no!” came out just a little too quickly for Spike’s liking, “I’ll talk to her, explain to her, tell her, make her understand! Please just let me do it!”



“But…..”



“No buts, I need her to understand.” Buffy’s hand came out to touch his cheek, “Make her understand that ‘I need you to breathe, to move and to just be.’”



Hearing his own words from the other night just sent him into a tail spin, throwing any concerns he had out the window, as she blew him into another realm. The conviction in her voice was just so compelling, that he wished that they were somewhere else, somewhere private. The need to kiss her senseless, was just so overwhelming, he let himself become enveloped in that need, leaned back into her and proceeded to do just that. He gently pushed her against the side of the car, pressed himself closer to her, tightening his hold on her, and they coupled and entwined in their kiss.



The sound of a car horn made them aware of their surroundings, letting her go, but still holding her hand, he gestured that she walk with him towards the building her classes were to be held for the day. Together they made their way across the lawns of the university, Buffy stopping occasionally to say ‘hello’ to fellow students. Most people noticed the couple walking down the path, some even pointed at them, remembering the episode in the hall a few weeks ago, some laughed and smiled.



The biggest shock came when a professor of Buffy’s stopped and spoke with Spike, making pleasantries with him, as she preened herself openly in front of Buffy. She eyed Buffy off suspiciously, as if to say ‘well little girl you aren’t competition for me’. Buffy just wanted to cut off her head, then and there and stomp on it, till it was in little pieces. Never had she felt such jealousy towards another female. What made it worse was it was one of her teachers. She hoped that this didn’t spell trouble, Buffy couldn’t concentrate on what they were saying, it was hard enough to curtail her jealousy, without even trying to keep up with them.



“Well Dru, I think that you’d better just send me the file.”



“No, I’ll bring it to your office today. Why not lunch time, maybe we could catch us some lunch, while we're at it?” The invitation slid of the woman’s tongue.
“No, just send it through to either my office or on my email will be fine.” Spike dismissed the woman, making his way past her, and continuing down the path with Buffy.


Out of hearing from her teacher, Buffy let it out, “That tramp!”



“Buffy!” Spike could feel her negativity before, but didn’t expect this outburst.



“She was coming on to you!”



“Yeah, and…………..”


“How dare she, I mean couldn’t she see you are with me! I mean like you would ever go out with that! The fact that you know her, that’s enough……………..hang on………how do you know her???”



“Hmm I meet her at some seedy bar on the other side of town!” Buffy hit him on the side of the arm, “Come on, haven’t you guessed??”



“What, that you work here? Like hello, employee day-care and car park! I’m just not sure what you do?” Buffy felt a little embarrassed to be so involved with someone, and not know what they did for a job. It made her realise that despite knowing a lot about the man, she knew very little of him other than what he’d let her see. It scared and elated her at the same time.



“Financial Advisor to the University.”



“Financial what to the University?”



“I advise and overlook the university spending habits, make sure its sound.”



“Oh you’re the penny pincher!” With that Buffy scooted across the lawn and into a hidden gazebo behind a shaded area, which the gardeners used for breaks, giving them some privacy from students and anyone else. Spike followed close behind her, pursuing after her making sure no one noticed or followed them to the secluded spot.



“So you’re the money man hey?” Buffy avoided his attempts to catch her, as he came into the gazebo.



“Yep, gotta make sure that the books balance!” Spike finally trapped her in a corner, placing both his hands on either side of her, playfully blocking any way of escape.



“Sounds pretty interesting to me. So do you enjoy your work?”




“On the odd occasion. It does have its fringe benefits.”


“Such as?”



“Close contact with the Student Body.” Buffy pushed herself against him, laying her hands on his arms, and her head against his chest, “Close enough for you?”



“Are you trying to corrupt the administration of this university, Miss Summers?” Spike wrapped his arms around Buffy, kissing her bare neck, lapping his tongue on her skin tasting its salty texture, and inhaling the smell of her perfume.


“Never. Just helping in anyway I can, Mr Benson.”


“So are you offering to help me with some research Miss Summers?”


“Of course Mr Benson. What research would that entail?”


“Well a certain student body would help me a lot, Miss Summers.”


“Please Mr Benson feel free to go over my resume, as much as you like,” the interplay between the two was burning him to the core with desire. He could feel her begin to shake a little, as he ran his hand from her shoulder tip to her elbow and hand, just brushing the surface with the tips of his fingers. Grasping her hand, he gently pulled it up to his mouth, turning it palm up, softly placing his lips over the centre, just touching it, as he darted his tongue out, drawing small slow circles with it. He watched her eyes darken and change as they screamed with her need. Her breath caught in her throat as she tried to suck in air, drugging her with a desire she wanted to fulfil.



He moved her hand to his cheek, engaging her lips and tongue with his own. They swirled them around each other, deep in a duel of passion as they explored each other. Even though they had before, each time was like its own revelation, it unleashed new feelings in each, as they surrendered to each other. Caught up in the need and heat of desire they felt for each other, Spike moved his hand to her waist, playing with the edge of the shirt she wore, he could feel her hesitation as a slight shudder rippled through her body.



“Trust me.” His words were so soft that she nearly didn’t hear him. He slowly pulled her shirt up a little, and allowed his hand to move excruciatingly slowly up her back. Not wanting to scare her, he laid his hand below her bra, proceeding no further. He continued to kiss her with such fever, that her fear was somewhat forgotten in the heat of the moment. Taking her acceptance of his actions, he moved his hand onto her lingerie, letting his hand trace the garment, skimming his hand over the lace cup, to the clasp, and back to the edge of the cup, slowly and repeatedly. He gently teased her, not full grasping her in his hand, just barely touching her, until she whispered so quietly, she was just audible. “I trust you”.



With these two words, he unhooked her clasp and gently grasped her breast in his hand, feeling the surface of her skin, taking in the shape of her. Encasing it he gently squeezed the mound between his hand, gliding her peaked nipple between his fingers. He increased his pressure, as she gently pulled at his hair that now lay entwined between her fingers, her sharp intake of breath signalled her pleasure. He just watched the play of emotion over her face, as she struggled with the newfound pleasure she was experiencing at the hands of this man.



It was becoming too much for her, she could feel the old fears returning and stifling these new feelings. She put her hand over his own and removed it, before the fear claimed the passion that she was experiencing. It had been enough to come this far today, and she just hoped that he would continue to understand her fears, and be the reason she overcame them.


“I’m sorry” was all she could muster herself to say.


“It’s alright sweetheart. One day at a time.” Spike was a little disappointed that she was so afraid of what was happening, but with a little support and love, she would become what he wanted her to be.


His.