Buffy’s body went cold and she started running toward the car screaming his name. “WILL!” The tears started to form and she was screaming hysterically. Suddenly a pair of arms quickly grabbed her and pulled her back from the car.

“Buffy, it’s me luv. Shh.” He hugged her tightly and pulled her against him.

“Will?” She pulled back and looked up to see that he was the one who she was wrapped up in. “Oh my God.” She threw herself at him, wrapping her arms around his neck and jumping up and wrapping her legs around his waist. “I thought you were dead.” She was still crying and trying to calm down but her emotions were running wild.

“Buffy it’s ok. That wasn’t me in my car.” He looked out at the car and heard sirens in the distance, watching the flames wrecking his car.

“I thought you were gone.” She pulled back and started kissing his face before hugging him tightly again still crying.

Spike held tears back of his own, knowing who was in that car.

Buffy pulled back and wiped her eyes, “Will, if that wasn’t you in there who was it?”

“My assistant Michael. I was about to go out when I got a little busy so he offered to go out and get the stuff I wanted for me. You have no idea how close I came to being in that car Buffy.”

She put her hand on his cheek, “I’m so sorry Will. But you have no idea how cold I went after I saw it happen. I just..” She relived it, still thinking it was Will in the car and started crying again. “I don’t know what I would have done if I lost you. I can’t lose you, not again.”

“You won’t Buffy. I promise.” He started looking around and spotted someone looking out of the alleyway. He frowned and the guy just smirked at Spike and nodded his head before turning around and walking away. “Buffy we need to leave, right now.”

She frowned, “Why? What’s wrong?”

He was going to say something but paused, “Nothing, I just want to take you home. You’ve been through enough today.”

“Will, you just lost your assistant and your car just blew up, don’t tell me it’s nothing. It’s a little abnormal for a car to just blow up in the middle of the street.”

“You think I don’t know that?”

Buffy looked at the terror written all over his face and realized something, “It’s not over is it? Somehow they’ve found you and they’re trying to kill you again.”
“I can’t talk about this here, Buffy. Let’s just go home.” Spike went to walk away and Buffy grabbed his hand pulling him back.

“Do you really think it’s a good idea to go back to your apartment right now? What if..” she trailed off knowing Spike would understand.

“What if they’ve found out where I live and plan to blow that up to? Buffy my apartment building has some of the best security guards in New York, I hired them myself for protection. No one is getting in that apartment without being seen.”

Buffy nodded, “Ok. Shouldn’t you talk to the police first Will? They’ll want to know what happened here.”

“Look around Buffy, plenty of witnesses. I just want to get you home safely, they want me they’ll come find me.”

She just frowned again but followed him. She walked over and grabbed the bags that she dropped and they got a cab back to Spike’s apartment.

They walked in and Buffy cringed as Spike slammed the door shut. “I need a drink,” he mumbled. He walked into the kitchen and grabbed a bottle of whiskey pouring himself a glass.

Buffy walked into the kitchen slowly and put a hand on his back, “Will, this isn’t your fault.”

“Of course it’s my fault Buffy. That was supposed to be me in that car and now someone has lost their life because of me.”

“You couldn’t have known that was going to happen. Do you have any idea how damn grateful it wasn’t you in that car? Yes I’m sorry that you lost your friend and I might sound a little selfish here but I’d rather him than the man I love. I don’t ever want to go through what I have experienced twice now, I thought I lost you back there and my whole body just shut down again like it did the first time.”

“I know Buffy but it’s still hard.” He looked to the bench and frowned, “What’s that?”

Buffy looked at the package on the table, “I don’t know, it was outside and addressed to you so I bought it in when we came inside.”

Spike got up off his stool and went to the package. There was no return address so he opened it. He went white as he saw what was inside, photos of him and Buffy together out in Sunnydale and her out shopping today. One had a red X across her face.

“Will what is it?” Buffy walked over and grabbed the photos off him and started looking at them, “Oh my God.” She saw the one with the X on her face, “Guess they’re not only after you now.”

“Buffy, they’ll come after you before they get to me. I think you should go back to LA without me, I’ll deal with this.”

“If you think I’m leaving you, you are deluded. I’m not going anywhere so don’t even try to push me out that door,” she said her voice slightly raised. “We will deal with this together.”

Spike nodded, “Ok. I just don’t want you in any danger Buffy. These guys are dangerous and I just want to protect you.”

“And I want to protect you, I’m not a little girl any more Will. I can take care of myself.”

“I never said you couldn’t. You have no idea what you’re getting yourself into Buffy.”

“And I don’t care because I’m not leaving you no matter how hard you try to push me away.”

“Fine.” He grabbed the photos and chucked them in the trash.

“What are you doing? They are evidence Spike, we’re going straight to the police first thing in the morning and don’t you even try to wiggle your way out of it. We can’t handle this by ourselves.”

“Whatever Buffy.” He quickly downed the rest of his whiskey and walked down the hall to the bathroom and shut the door loudly.

Buffy jumped a little and sat down at the counter picking up the photos and having a look at them. They were being followed in Sunnydale and her eyes widened, “Mom.”