Joyce was in the kitchen preparing lunch for her and Dawn when she heard a knock at the door. She wiped her hands and walked to the door opening it only to get a shock. “Buffy?”

“Hey mom,” Buffy said quietly and wiped her eyes. She just stood there and Joyce opened her arms and Buffy walked into them hugging her mother tightly. She started weeping, “I’m so sorry mom.”

“Shh Buffy it’s ok sweetie.” Joyce soothed her daughter, rubbing circles on her back and just hugging her, her own tears springing to her eyes.

Dawn came running down the stairs, “Mom who’s that?” She saw the woman look up and her eyes went huge, “Buffy?”

“Hey Dawnie.” Buffy gave her sister a little smile.

“Hey Dawnie? That’s all you’ve got after 5 years of not talking? You’re gonna have to do better than that sis.” Dawn went back upstairs and slammed the door to her room.

“Guess I deserved that, she’s right. 5 years of not talking or visiting and I just show up on your doorstep.”

“Buffy it’s still your home too, it always has been.” Joyce pulled her daughter in for a hug again, “I’ve missed you so much, I’ve been so worried about you these past few years. I had no idea what you were doing or where you were.”

“I’m sorry mom.” Buffy pulled back, “You’re beautiful, you haven’t aged a day.”

Joyce laughed a little, “Flattering, thank you.” She grabbed Buffy’s hand and they made their way into the kitchen, “Let me fix you something to eat Buffy, it looks like you haven’t eaten in a long time. You’re far too thin.”

Buffy sat down at the counter, happy that she was back home. “A sandwich would be great.” She eyed her mother, “Mom, I have to tell you something.”

Joyce looked up and saw the hurt across Buffy’s face, “Buffy what is it? Are you ok?” she asked worried.

“I’m fine mom. It’s Will.”

She thought she’d bring him up eventually, “Five years today, I haven’t forgotten. He was like a son to me, I know how much you two loved each other.”

“He’s alive mom.”

Joyce almost dropped the knife in her hand, “I’m sorry, did you just say William’s alive?”

Buffy shook her head. “I did.” She started relaying the entire morning she had, running into Will at the cemetery and him telling her where he was.

“Wow.” Joyce sat down at the counter trying to find the right words, “He’s been alive this entire time and in witness protection? Why come out now and risk the chance of exposure?”

“I don’t know mom. And honestly I kind of didn’t stick around to find that part out, I just told him he was still dead to me and I didn’t ever want to see him again.”

“Oh Buffy honey I’m sorry.” Joyce put her hand on Buffy’s back, “Maybe you should let him explain. I know it’s hard but like you said he had his reasons for leaving everyone behind.”

“I don’t know if I can see him again. He’s still the same, apart from the fact he calls himself Spike now. Some part of me just wishes this was a dream, that I’m going to wake up and not have to deal with it.”

“But it’s not a dream and you’re going to have to deal with it sooner or later Buffy. I just can’t get over the shock that he’s been alive all these years.”

“Now you know how I feel. My head is still spinning and trying to take in everything he told me.” She turned her head to look at her mother, “Mom..” she started to say.

“You can stay for as long as you want Buffy, your room is still the same. What about work?”

“I’ll call them and tell them I need some time off. They’ll understand, after all I am the boss so I have people to take care of the gallery for me.”

Joyce nodded, “Ok. Well why don’t you get settled and I’ll bring you up some lunch when it’s ready?”

“Ok mom. Thanks.” She gave her mother a kiss on the cheek before heading upstairs. She stood outside Dawn’s room and knocked on the door. “Dawnie, can I come in?”

“Go away Buffy, I have nothing to say to you.” Dawn sat on her bed hugging her pillow closely to her chest.

“Please let me in, I have things I need to tell you.” Buffy tried the doorknob and it wasn’t locked. She opened it a little way and peered in, “Is it safe to come in?”

“Fine, come in. Say what you have to say.” Dawn stared out the window not once glancing Buffy’s way.

“I’ve missed you.” Buffy sat on the edge of her bed and Dawn didn’t say anything, “Will’s alive.”

That got her attention and she turned to Buffy, “What?”

“Will’s alive.” Buffy told Dawn everything she told her mother, “So, what do you think?”

“What do I think? I think I need to kick his ass, that’s what I think.”

Buffy laughed a little and moved up the bed hugging her sister, “I really have missed you Dawn, I’m sorry for not keeping in touch.”

Dawn hugged her sister back and put her head on her shoulder, “I’ve missed you too, I should kick your ass for leaving me too you know. I haven’t had my big sister around.”

“Even at 21 you still miss your sister?” Buffy pulled back and tucked some of Dawn’s hair behind her ear.

“21, 41, 71, I’ll always miss you no matter how old I am.” She got a good look at her sister and frowned, “You’re brunette, and very, very skinny.”

“So I’ve been told a lot lately. I’m staying here for a while, catch up with my family. Speaking of family, where’s Xander?”

“He’s with Willow. They got married and have a little girl, they’re doing really well.”

“Wow really? I’m an Aunt?” Buffy asked. Dawn nodded and Buffy smiled. “Well then I’ll have to do some sucking up I guess.”

“Buffy, what are you going to do about Will?” Dawn asked concerned.

“I have no idea Dawnie. I haven’t given it much thought to be honest, I’m just still trying to take in that he’s alive. Not to mention he’s looking as good as ever.”

Dawn smiled, “You still love him Buffy, you should go and find him and talk things out.” There was a knock at the door and Joyce came in with a tray of sandwiches for the girls, “I’m glad I have both of my girls under the same roof again, I’ve missed this.”

“Me too mom.” Buffy smiled warmly and grabbed a sandwich, “So how can I get in touch with Xander?”

“Oh, I hope you don’t mind but I kind of invited him and Willow over for dinner tonight.”

“Mom it’s fine, I was just telling Dawn that I wanted to go and see him and Wills. I can’t believe they’re married and have a little girl.”

“Oh don’t worry, I was the same way. I was surprised that Willow took to him and agreed to marry Xander.” Dawn giggled, “But if you saw them together you’d know how much they’re meant to be. Kind of like another couple I know.”

“Dawnie, Buffy doesn’t need that right now.”

“Mom it’s fine. She’s actually convinced me to go and track him down, maybe talk things out.”

“I did?” Dawn sat up and smiled, pleased with herself.

“Ok honey, but if you need anything you know where I am ok?” Joyce kissed both her daughters on the forehead and went back downstairs.

“So, fill me in on all I’ve missed about you Dawnie.” Buffy got comfy on the bed next to Dawn and grabbed another sandwich off the tray.

Dawn started filling Buffy in about her life at college, the boy she had a crush on. They spent the rest of the afternoon together just enjoying being around each other again.


Chapter End Notes:
Promise in the next chapter it will have more Buffy/Spike interactions.