Buffy and Spike walked to the front porch before walking inside. She heard voices in the kitchen and turned to him, “Maybe you should stay in here, just until I warn them?”

“Sure, luv, if you think that’s best.”

“I do. Just for the minute because they’re going to be asking a lot of questions and I want both sides to be prepared that’s all.” She gave him a small smile before walking into the kitchen, “Hey gang.”

“Buffy! Oh my God, Buffy!” Willow got up and walked over throwing her arms around her best friend, “I’ve missed you so much.”

“Yeah, Buff. Where have you been all these years?” Xander smiled and walked up hugging his sister, “Welcome home Buffy.”

“Wow, and here I expected you to hate me and ask me why I stayed away for so long.” She hugged them back, “I’ve really missed you guys.”

“Buffy we could never hate you, we know what you went through and now understand why you wanted to leave it behind.” Willow pulled back and gave her best friend a smile, “Wow you look..very different. I guess that’s what 5 years does to someone.”

“Oh trust me, I’ve dealt with the issues of how I look from these two right here.” She pointed to Joyce and Dawn.

Dawn put her hands up in surrender, “Hey, just stating facts here.”

“Well pray tell little sis, what have you been up to in these past 5 years? Mom here tells me you own your own gallery.”

“I do. And there’s something I have to tell you guys.”

“You’re pregnant? You’re engaged?” Willow screamed but Buffy waved her off, “Oh then I take that as a no then.”

“You guys might want to sit down for this, or you could walk into the other room to find out for yourself.”

Joyce walked over to Buffy, “Is he..” Buffy nodded, “Wow, that I wasn’t expecting. You guys talk and I’ll keep this certain someone company. Dawn come with me please.”

“What? Why?” Joyce shot her a look and then she got it, “Oh right, coming mom.” She hopped off the stool and they both walked into the living room where they saw Will.

“What’s going on Buffy?” Xander moved over to sit at the bench, “You look guilty about something.”
Willow joined her husband and folded her arms.

“Well you know how Will died?” She looked at them and didn’t say anything so she continued, “Well it turns out that he..well..he didn’t.”

“WHAT?” both Willow and Xander screamed out in unison.

“He’s alive?” Xander asked. “What? When did this happen?”

“I found out today, I wasn’t going to tell anyone about it and just keep it to myself but when I saw mom today I just broke down. He’s in the next room and I can completely understand if you guys want to walk out of here right now but he really wants to see you and explain himself.”

“So I take it you two have already talked?” Buffy nodded and Willow stood up, “Well I guess he has some explaining to do.”

Spike turned around and saw Joyce and Dawn walk in, “Long time no see.” He opened his arms and Dawn ran into them hugging him tightly, “Hey Nibblet.”

“Will I’ve missed you.” She pulled back and punched him in the arm, “And that’s for staying away for 5 years. I know you did it for a good reason but still, that punch was also for a good reason.”

Spike chuckled a little, “I know Dawn but I promise to fill you all in about what happened, Buffy only got the headlines.”

“It’s good to have you home, you’ve really been missed around here.” Joyce walked over to the man who she thought of as her own son and hugged him tightly.

“Will?” Xander and Willow stood in the doorway to the living room, “Well you look extremely well for someone who’s supposed to be a decomposed body.”

“Thanks Whelp, that’s appreciated.” He smirked and walked over giving his friend a hug, “It’s good to see you.”

“What about me?” Willow pouted a little and pulled Spike in for a hug, “I can’t believe you’re alive. I mean it’s great and I’d rather you be alive then dead but..” she stopped talking, “You really should stop me when I keep talking.”

“Oh I think it’s adorable.” Xander put his arm around his wife and kissed her temple.

“You two haven’t changed at all. I’m glad to see that you’re finally together, took you long enough.”

“Like you can talk! What about you and Buf-” Willow was cut off by Xander clearing his throat. “What do you say we get dinner started? I’m starving.” He dragged his wife off into the kitchen, “I don’t think mentioning them as a couple is the best thing right now sweetie.”

“Ok, maybe you’re right. It’s just weird seeing them not all coupley. But I’ll keep my mouth shut about the past, it’s obviously a sore subject.”

“Hey, whatcha talking about?” Buffy walked into the kitchen and smiled.

“Nothing at all. Shouldn’t you be out there getting reacquainted?”

“No Xander I shouldn’t be. I’ve seen him already and it’s actually hard being around him,” she said quietly. “It’s just..very different but at the same time nothing has changed at all. He’s the same old Will.”

“Buffy what happened?” Willow asked concerned. “I mean why make us think he’s dead all these years?”

“I’ll let him tell you over dinner, there’s a lot to be explained apparently and I know he’s been holding back from me. And to tell you the truth I’m a little scared to what he’s hiding. He says he’s safe and he’d fine but I’ve always been able to tell when he’s lying to me.”

“What do mean he’s safe?” Xander sighed, “Right, he’ll tell us over dinner. Well let’s get this over and done with.” He picked up some dishes and walked into the dining room and put them on the table, “Dinner is served guys!”

They all made their way into the dining room and took a seat, Spike making sure he was next to Buffy. She looked over and gave him a faint smile before turning back to her dinner.

Spike looked up and saw everyone staring at him, “You want me to start explaining now?”

“Yeah,” they all said at the same time.

“Ok then. Well I was in witness protection. I got in deep at my law firm but don’t worry, I was under cover with the FBI. That’s why I got in deep. One of my colleagues turned out to be a drug dealer and the FBI have been trying to catch him out for a while. I got in it with him to try and help bring him down and it backfired a little. I overheard him telling his men they needed to get rid of me because I couldn’t be trusted. I went straight to the FBI and we came up with a plan to stage my death. And the rest is history.”

“Excuse me, I need some fresh air.” Buffy stood up and walked out through the kitchen and out the side door. She leant against the wall and sunk down, hearing him explain things was a little too much for her to handle right now.

“Leave her, she just needs a breather,” Joyce said as Spike went to get up to go after her. He nodded and just sat down again.

“So Buffy mentioned something about you being safe. Are you really safe now? That’s why you’re back? I mean it’s been 5 years, I can’t believe you’ve been away for that long,” Willow said.

“I had to be in hiding until it blew over. He still has men out there looking for me but they haven’t heard anything in about a year so they said it was safe for me to come out of hiding and contact my loved ones again.”

“Wow, that’s completely insane.” Dawn sat forward and just looked at him, “Are you sure you’re ok? Because I don’t think any of us could handle losing you again if something went wrong.”

“I’ll be fine Nibblet, I’m still being monitored though just incase.”

“It’s just good to have you home Will, that’s one hell of a story but I swear if you hurt my sister again I will have to rip your head off.”

“Trust me I think she’ll do that all on her own, she wasn’t exactly welcoming. But I can’t blame her, she told me how much she went through and I don’t want to blow it this time.”

“This time?” Joyce asked. “Are you two back together already?”

“Wow that didn’t take you long,” Dawn said quietly.

“No we are not back together, Buffy just needs some time. She knows that I’ve never stopped loving her and am willing to give things a real shot this time. So my feelings are out there, I’m just giving her space.”

“Good idea, she really doesn’t look herself. Really withdrawn, I don’t like seeing her like that.” Willow felt bad for Buffy and Xander reached over rubbing her back, “It’s ok sweetie, we’re all worried.”

Spike finished up dinner, “I think I’ll go and see how she is.” He smiled and got up leaving the guys to finish dinner.


Chapter End Notes:
More Spuffy alone time in the next chapter, promise!