Author's Chapter Notes:
Don't panic at the title! There is a character death - maybe not the one you're hoping for...


Thanks to Carol and dawnofme for their beta work :)
Drusilla

Drusilla lay back on her bed and stretched catlike, a smile playing on her lips.

“You won’t escape me, my pretty one,” she whispered.

The smile faded as she looked around her. Sometimes she almost forgot that she was being held prisoner by her sire. A scowl marred her features before she vamped out and hissed in anger at the thought.

“How dare he?” she said, climbing off the small, narrow bed and pacing around her cell.

For a time, she ranted and raved at her captivity, before remembering that it wouldn’t be for much longer.

“Ha! Angel will be the one in here then,” thought Drusilla. “When my Spike sees what he’s been doing while he’s been away from me.”

She sat back on the bed, tears clouding her eyes, as she recalled the day that she saw her lover of over a century dusted in front of her.

“No,” she whispered. “Naughty pixies, don’t want to see it again.”

She curled up into a ball on the bed, burying her face in her hands. The images played through her head as clear as if she were watching a video of it.

0000000000

Prague; the oldest part of the town. They were fleeing through the streets from a mob of people baying for their blood.

Drusilla shuddered as she recalled exactly why they were being chased. All her fault. Spike had told her not to hunt in that part of town, but she hadn’t listened. She’d slipped out while he was sleeping and fed off two children before he had found her. Their bodies were discarded like waste paper on the ground.

“Shit, Dru. What have you done?” he’d yelled, grabbing her hand and leading her away. “We’ve got to get out of here.”

They had almost made it. Then, as they rounded a corner, they nearly ran into a crowd of people. This was the reason that Spike had ordered no hunting. Prague might not be the home of the current Slayer, but the people here were hunters themselves. Each night they patrolled, seeking out and killing the demons that plagued the oldest streets.

Spike and Dru wheeled round as quickly as they could. Spike was aware that magics had been used; otherwise he would have heard or scented the crowd before even getting to the corner. In doubling back they ended up caught between two patrols. A crossbow bolt hit Dru in her arm and she squealed. Spike looked around frantically, and then he looked up and smirked.

“Here, Dru, climb up there. Get to the roof.”

He pulled the bolt from her arm, mashed a quick kiss on her lips, and lifted her up so that she could reach the wide, stone windowsills of the buildings.

“I’m scared, Spike,” Dru had said.

“It’ll be all right, princess, but get a bleeding move on.”

He wanted her out of range of the crossbows before he followed. He vamped out his features and faced the nearest group of people. He snarled and growled, like the demon he was. To his satisfaction, the crowd backed away a little. As he suspected, not all had seen a vampire close up. He glanced up and saw that Dru was almost to the roof. Her long flowing dress was billowing in the wind. He caught a glimpse of her bare arse and grinned. He leapt up and began to climb, moving from windowsill to windowsill with ease.

“Hurry,” shouted Dru, looking down at him from above.

He smiled up at her - another few feet and they’d be safe. He hadn’t wanted to come to bloody Prague in the first place and he’d be glad to leave. He felt a thump in his back; it knocked the unneeded breath out of his lungs. He just had time to glance at the wooden bolt sticking out of his chest before collapsing into dust, blown in all directions by the gusting wind.

“No!” Dru’s scream was drowned out by the raucous cheering of the mob below.

0000000000

“No!” screamed Dru, brought back to the present, tears falling like a waterfall down her face.

“Spike,” she sobbed. “I’m sorry, so sorry.”

She cried and muttered her apologies for hours, unaware of Angel opening the cell door and leaving her some blood on the small table near to her bed. It was the cell’s only other furniture. Angel put a hand soothingly on his Childe’s shoulder, but she didn’t react. He walked out of the cell, locked the door securely and went away, shaking his head. He just didn’t know what to do with her. She seemed to be getting worse, not better.

Angel had found Dru, nine years ago, after searching for her for six months, the distress of his Childe reaching him from Europe. She’d been a mess, clothes torn and dirty, hair a tangled mess; a far cry from the fastidious creature he’d known. She’d told him of Spike’s demise, but he’d already guessed as much. Nothing but the loss of her Childe and lover could have caused Dru such pain. They’d made their way across Europe and back to Sunnydale. Angel hadn’t been sure that the Slayer would appreciate Dru’s arrival, but he had a duty to care for her. Even his soul called for him to help her - she was his creation after all. The Slayer had made him promise to make sure that Dru wouldn’t hunt in her town.

Angel loved the Slayer all the more for that, knowing that her agreement was a measure of her love for him. The arrangement had worked well for years, right up until a few weeks ago. Since her return to Angel’s care, Dru had been almost silent, totally submissive and obedient. She had been more than happy not to leave the old manor house that he had found as his lair. Then something had changed. Dru had changed. She’d started to sneak out at night. She began ranting about the pixies, the stars and dimensions. Then worryingly, she began to talk about Spike - something that she hadn’t ever done since he’d found her. When she’d started to mutter about spells and finding him again, Angel had taken the decision to lock her up. He hoped that she would get better, and once more realise that Spike was gone for good, but she seemed to get worse.

000000000000

Dru opened her eyes as the smell of the blood finally worked its way into her consciousness. She was calm and smiled as she reached out to pick up the mug. Angel would be proud of her when she brought Spike back with her. She drank the blood slowly, savouring the taste, even though it was only pig’s blood. Her mouth watered at the memory of the sweet taste of her new Spike’s blood. Today she’d get to taste it once more. She was cross that she’d missed him the last time. She would punish him, just a little, just enough to make it fun. She was inexperienced at crossing through different dimensions and had locked onto where she’d expected him to be, rather than focussing on him. She giggled at how Angel had locked her up to keep her from doing anything. Little did he know, that she’d already found out enough for what she wanted to do. As long as she travelled when Angel was sleeping, her secret was safe.

She lay down on the bed, positioning herself on her back, with her arms crossed on her chest. She mumbled the incantation that would transport her to the other dimension. With a crackle and hiss of static electricity, she disappeared.

tbc


Chapter End Notes:
Please leave a review! It keeps me posting quickly! :) It was a short chapter so will update asap - especially if lots of reviews appear!! LOL