Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as always to Carol and dawnofme for their beta work - couldn't do it without you lovely ladies!
Chapter Twenty-Three

Together At Last!

Spike ran along the hallway and in to the kitchen. Buffy was standing with her back to the door, talking to Tara. Before she could react, he grabbed her and swung her off her feet, pulling her back against his chest and burrowing his face in her neck.

“Oh, God. I’ve missed you so much,” he said. His voice had a tremulous edge to it.

He put her back on the ground and then spun her around so that they were facing each other.

“I’ve missed you, t…”

Buffy’s words were lost as Spike kissed her hungrily.

Rich walked in to the kitchen, and he and Tara exchanged amused glances before he coughed loudly.

“Er…get a room, yeah?”

All four of them laughed. Buffy pulled back just enough to be able to look at Spike’s face.

“What’s with the shades? I can’t believe you wore them on TV.”

He let her pull them off. He knew that his eyes were blue, but he did see Rich and Tara tense a little as they were removed.

“Rock star, remember?” Spike smiled. “What are you doing here anyway? I thought I still had a couple more days without you.”

“Rupert came home a little early, and so I thought that I’d surprise you.”

“You did that, pet.” He kissed her again and squeezed her tightly. He felt like he never wanted to let her go again.

When they parted, Buffy turned around and met Rich’s eyes. “I want you to fill me in on all the gossip. What have I missed?”

Rich rocked from one foot to the other, unsure of what to say. He glanced at Spike who was looking at him over the top of Buffy’s head.

“Please don’t say anything,” mouthed Spike. “Not just yet.” His eyes were still blue and Rich could clearly see the pain in them.

Spike held his breath and prayed that Rich would do as he asked. He would tell Buffy, but he wanted to be with her first before he ruined everything by telling what was happening to him. He felt sick at he thought of telling her about having sex with Drusilla. His stomach lurched.

“We can fill yer in on all that later. I reckon Spike wants yer to himself for a bit first.”

“Thank you,” Spike mouthed.

Buffy turned back to Spike. “Is that right? You want me to yourself for a bit? A bit of what I wonder?”

Tara giggled as Spike smirked and took her by the hand and led her from the kitchen. “It’d be easier to show you.”

Rich glanced back at Tara when he heard Buffy and Spike walking up the staircase.

“Do yer think he should ‘ave told her now?”

“No, Rich. Let them have their reunion. I can see why he wants to wait before he tells her.” She looked at Rich seriously. “I haven’t told you this before now, and please don’t let Spike know that I’ve told you.”

“Told me what, Tee?”

“When Drusilla bit him, she also enthralled him and made him have sex with her. When under the influence of a thrall, you feel exactly what the person controlling you wants you to feel. In Spike’s case it was that he loved Drusilla and that he wanted her. Spike is terrified of how Buffy will react to hearing about that. I’m guessing that he’s looking for a bit of comfort from her, before it might be taken away from him if she can’t handle it.”

“Oh, God. If Buffy freaks and rejects Spike, I swear it’ll kill him. Do you think that she will?”

“I have no idea, Rich. I’ve never dealt with anything like this before – the same as you haven’t. What was going on with Spike in the studio? He was flirting with that presenter and then got cross with her when she mentioned Buffy. I don’t think Buffy was too impressed by it until he said that he loved her.”

Rich shook his head. “I don’t know what came over him. He was normal – well more than normal – fooling around and not a bit nervous. Trust me, Tee, he can’t usually string a coherent sentence together when there’s a camera on him.”

Tara smiled at Rich. “I know. I’ve seen him on TV before.”

Whilst they’d been talking, Tara had made some coffee, and now she handed Rich a mug and suggested that they go and sit in the lounge room. They both sat on the couch and Tara leaned against Rich, pulling her feet up to the side of her.

“He wouldn’t normally stay out all night either. Tara, I’m really worried that things are still changing for him. Is that possible? Drusilla told him that she needed to drink his blood three times – what if she lied?”

“I’m sorry, Rich, I honestly don’t know. But from what I’ve seen of him, it is out of character that’s for sure. I’m concerned too. I just wish we could locate that other vampire. It might be able to tell us what is going on.”

“Or, will it just try to finish what its relation started?”

“Oh, please don’t say that, Rich. We’ve got to find a solution.” Tara’s voice broke a little.

“Shh, Tee. Don’t get upset,” said Rich putting his arm around her and pulling her closer.

000000000

Once in the bedroom, Spike led Buffy to the bed. It was ridiculous, but he felt a little nervous. He felt that somehow she would know that his body had been unfaithful to her, even if it was against his will.

Buffy reached up and put her right hand against his cheek. “Are you all right? You look worried.”

Spike leaned into her touch. “I’m all right, now that you’re here,” he said seriously before smiling at her and pulling her close once more. “Do you want me to show you how much I love you?”

“If you don’t, you’ll be in big trouble.”

Spike ran his hands down her back before lifting up the back of her blouse and touching her bare flesh. He quickly closed his eyes as he felt them beginning to change. He willed them to change back, after a few seconds, they obliged.

Buffy’s hands lost no time in finding the waistband of Spike’s jeans. “Come on, then. Show me what you’re made of.” She giggled.

Spike reopened his eyes and smirked at Buffy, tilting his head on one side. He pulled his t-shirt over his head, revealing his taut torso. Then reached out and began to unbutton Buffy’s blouse.

“Gosh, what did you do to your chest?” asked Buffy, touching the mark left by Drusilla’s bite around his nipple.

Spike covered her mouth with his own. “Talk later. I need you now,” he mumbled, his hands deftly unfastening Buffy’s bra. His distraction worked, and they were soon lost in each other.

Spike struggled to keep his eyes blue, having to close them several times as they flashed to amber in response to Buffy’s attentions. The worst moment came as Buffy unwittingly brushed her lips against the bite mark on his neck, which she luckily hadn’t yet noticed. Spike groaned and only just bit back a growl as it sent a shiver through his whole being. He almost climaxed. Then he had to fight the urge to run away when he realised that the reaction was due to something that Drusilla had done to him and not Buffy. For a second he froze, and then he got a grip on his free-falling emotions and concentrated body, mind and soul on Buffy.

He covered her body with kisses. He felt a need to ‘own’ her somehow. As he kissed her neck, he faltered, his lips were almost tingling with the feeling of the blood rushing just beneath the soft, delicate skin. He moaned with desire, his breath tickling Buffy’s neck and making her giggle.

They reached heights never before achieved before that morning. Their pent up desires, after being apart for so long, released in wave after orgasmic wave. Finally, exhausted, they settled back in to each others arms, legs entwined, and fell asleep.

0000000000

A couple of hours later, Spike woke up. He propped his head up on his right hand; elbow bent, and watched Buffy as she slept, just as he did at home. He knew that she’d soon wake. They were so in tune that she never slept for long, once he was awake. He reached out with his left hand and gently brushed a tendril of hair from Buffy’s face. His heart ached. When she woke, he was going to have to tell her what had happened to him. He would tell her the whole truth. He’d promised her when he was seventeen that he’d never lie to her again. He’d learnt that lesson the hard way as he nearly lost her when she’d inevitably found out the truth. The thing that terrified him now though, was the fact that telling her the truth might be the very thing that pushed her away.

Buffy shifted slightly and sighed. Spike leant forwards and placed a tender kiss on her lips. Her eyes opened and his heart melted as she smiled at him.

“God, I love waking up next to you,” she said, returning his kiss.

“Oi,” protested Spike. “That’s my line.”

“Mine now, just like you are. All mine.”

Spike cupped his hand against her cheek. He blinked his eyes to keep the tears he felt from falling.

“Spike, honey. What’s wrong?”

Buffy sat up and stared at him worriedly. She knew by now that Spike wore his emotions close to the surface, but she was certain that the look he was giving her wasn’t just because he’d missed her. Her heart clenched.

“God, Spike. What is it?” she asked again.

Spike closed his eyes tightly as he felt his eyes beginning to change. A solitary tear escaped through the lashes, and Buffy stroked it away with her fingers.

“Please tell me,” she coaxed again. She moved closer to him on the bed and wrapped her arms around him. “You’re trembling. Tell me what’s wrong. You’re scaring me.”

Spike took a deep breath, keeping his eyes closed, he fumbled until he found her hand and clasped it tightly.

In an echo of what he’d said years ago to Rupert, Spike said, “The thing is Buffy…”

tbc


Chapter End Notes:
Please take a mo to review! :)