Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as ever to Carol and Dawnofme for their beta work - they make me look good :)
Chapter Twenty-Five

London Town

Rich got to London’s O2 Arena just after the sound-check had been completed. He’d stayed at the house working on some press details whilst Tara contacted the coven to try to get more details of how to locate the other vampire that had arrived in this dimension. She’d opted to stay at the house and not to come to the concert, feeling that she had to find as much out as she could.

He was walking down the corridor in the backstage area when he came across Joey, Pete and Oz huddled together, having what appeared to be a rather heated conversation. As soon as they spotted Rich, they leapt apart guiltily. All three looked at him, and then Pete and Joey walked quickly away. Rich heard Joey hiss at Oz.

“Tell him!”

He walked up to Oz and leant on the wall next to him.

“Tell me what, Oz?” he said calmly.

Oz glanced at him before scowling at his rapidly disappearing band mates. “Why the fuck is it always me?”

Rich tried not to show his shock. Oz never, ever got stressed by anything – the bloke was frustratingly laid back. He wondered what had gotten him wound so tight. Rich kept his mouth shut, taking the question for the rhetorical one that it was.

After a minute or so, Oz sighed. “It’s Spike.”

“Oh, shit. They’ve sussed it out! Bollocks.” Though Rich’s thoughts were in turmoil, his voice didn’t show it. “What about ‘im?”

“We’re worried - the guys and me. Do you know what’s going on with him, Rich?”

“Um…what’s made you worry?” asked Rich, fishing to see how much they knew before spilling the beans.

“It’s his behaviour. He was laughing and joking all through the check. Even Buffy being here shouldn’t be enough to make him able to be like that. And the TV appearance – we couldn’t believe our eyes.”

“So, you’re worried because he’s behaving more confidently than usual? Strange thing to worry about.”

“Don’t try to play me with that diplomatic manager crap,” snapped Oz. “We’re worried that he’s on drugs.”

Rich smiled. Both he and Buffy had thought that Spike was on drugs and now his band mates did.

“It’s not funny, Rich. I was there when he got too attached to the bottom of a bottle when he was a kid, remember? He’s searched for a crutch before, so why not now? It’s not easy for him. Being the front-man means that he gets more press than the rest of us. It could be taking its toll.”

Rich’s mind raced. “He is on drugs.”

“What?” Oz’s eyes were wide. “Oh crap. We’ve got to help him.”

“Take it easy. Not those sorts of drugs. Tara’s got him on a mix of herbs to calm his nerves. I’d say that they work, wouldn’t you?”

“No shit?”

“No shit,” repeated Rich. “She sells lots of it on her website, so Spike thought that he’d give it a try. He asked me not to tell you guys ‘cause he said that he felt like a bleedin’ poofter for needing them.”

Oz laughed. “That sounds like Spike. Well, I hope Tara’s got plenty of it because, man, it is good not to have him a nervous wreck at the check.”

“Make sure yer tell Joey and Pete not to say anything to ‘im, okay? He’ll kill me if he knows that I’ve told yer.” He put a hand on Oz’s shoulder. “Thanks for your concern, mate.”

Oz shrugged, back to his usual laconic self. “Sure.” He ambled down the hallway to his dressing room.

Rich watched him go and let out a huge sigh. “Shit. That was close.” He walked towards the stage area. He hadn’t seen the venue in the flesh as it were. As he got closer, he could hear giggling. He stepped onto the stage to see Spike pushing Buffy around on one of the wheeled boxes that the sound gear was transported in. He was spinning it around as fast as he could with Buffy clinging on for dear life.

“Stop that right now, kiddies!” yelled Rich, startling both of them. “It’ll end in tears – you know that it will.”

“Jeez, Rich. You nearly gave me a heart attack,” complained Spike as he leant on the box, gasping for breath.

“Yeah, well, you’ll give me a soddin’ heart attack if yer break a limb before the bloody show!” joked Rich.

“Sorry, dad,” said Spike solemnly.

“Piss off!”

“And to think that I missed the two of you while I was at home,” said Buffy, still sitting on the box. “Must have been your eloquence!”

Rich and Spike glanced at each other, nodded, and then flew at the box, spinning it even faster. Buffy squealed.

“I’m going to fall off, you assholes!”

They stopped pushing it round. Spike raised an eyebrow at Rich.

“Eloquence, huh?”

The comment earned him a slap on his arm from Buffy.

“You’d better start to get ready for the show,” Rich laughed.

“Yeah, okay. Coming, pet?” He held his hand out to Buffy.

“If I come with you now, you’ll never be ready on time and you know it.”

Spike batted his eyelashes. “What on earth do you mean?”

“You know very well. Go on; get ready for your adoring public.”

Spike pouted.

“Oh, no yer don’t,” said Rich, giving Spike a push. “Sod off and get ready.” He turned to Buffy. “I know that yer can’t resist when he bloody pouts like the girl he is, but stay strong.”

All three of them burst out laughing.

“You’ve got us sussed out right and proper, Rich,” said Spike. He went to Buffy and kissed her hard enough to make her knees weak. “If you’re sure, love?” He cocked his head to one side.

“She’s sure,” said Rich, as the heat between them began to build. “Christ, you’re like a pair of teenagers. Pack it in. Spike, go and get ready – you’ve got work to do.”

Spike grinned and walked away, muttering about pots and black kettles. He could smell what Rich and Tara had been up to before he got here.

Once Spike was out of sight, Buffy turned to Rich.

“I’m really worried about him.”

“The sound-check, right?”

“Yeah, how did you know?”

“The lads made Oz have a word. They thought that he was doing drugs.”

“Shit. What did you tell him?” asked Buffy.

“That Tara had given him an herbal calming remedy.”

“And he bought it?” Buffy snickered.

“Yeah, seemed to,” said Rich, a touch defensively. “It was the best that I could come up with on the spot.”

“No, it’s brilliant.”

“So what was he doing that got everybody so worried about him?”

Buffy’s face clouded. “You should have seen him, Rich. He was totally hyper. He made what he does during the show look like he just stands still. It was like he was playing to the crowd that wasn’t even there. He snatched Joey’s drumsticks at one point, and it took the three of them to pin him down to get them back so they could carry on with the check. And this from the guy who is normally monosyllabic and tinged green before the gig.”

“Shite. I’ll have to ‘ave a word to get him to cool it a bit.”

“I don’t think he could if he tried.” Buffy glanced up at Rich with her eyes glistening with unshed tears. “From how the guys acted, I’d say that he hasn’t behaved like this before, even after being bitten? Is this to do with what’s happened to him? Tara said that his senses were probably heightened. Is he getting worse even without being bitten again?”

“Hey,” said Rich, pulling her into a hug. “Don’t get upset. That’s why Tara stayed at the house tonight. We were thinking the same thing after the TV appearance. She’s trying to find out more.”

“Oh God, Rich. I can’t take this. I’m trying to be strong for Spike’s sake but when I let myself think about it…” She leant her head against Rich’s shoulder. “I can’t lose him, Rich. I love him so much.”

“Shh,” soothed Rich. He could understand what she was feeling. He was afraid of what would happen and he wasn’t Spike's lover. The two of them were practically inseparable. “God, Tee, I ‘ope your coven can trace that other bleedin’ vamp.” “We won’t lose ‘im, Buffy, not while I’ve still got breath in my body.” He kissed the top of her head. “Go and see if he’s nearly ready. I’m guessing a hug off ‘im will cheer yer up more than one off me.”

Buffy squeezed him tightly before letting go. “Thanks, Rich.” She wiped her eyes on her sleeve. “I don’t look like I’ve been crying do I? I don’t want him to worry.”

“No, you look gorgeous. Just don’t make ‘im late on stage, okay?” he said with a chuckle.

“I won’t, Rich, and thanks for all you and Tara are doing for him.” Buffy gave Rich another hug then headed off to find Spike.

Rich sighed deeply. He stared at the empty auditorium. Soon it would be full of fans and the show would start again. He wondered if the band would be able to do the U.S. leg of the tour. Would Spike still be ‘Spike’ by then? He shook his head to dispel the worrying thoughts.

“Tee will find the answer. I know she will.”

00000000000

The concert had been an amazing success and the sex that Buffy and Spike enjoyed afterwards wasn’t bad either! Buffy had been exhausted but well satisfied by the time they’d succumbed to sleep.

Now, they were enjoying breakfast with Tara and Rich.

“So what’s the plan for today?” asked Buffy, amazed that they were up so early.

She’d been awakened by Spike’s fidgeting and then had been rewarded for waking by being given another amazing orgasm. Christ, Spike was insatiable. She grinned as she poured more maple syrup on her pancakes – no need to stint with it; she’d burnt off enough calories last night.

“We’re going to show Tara the sights of good old London Town,” said Spike with a grin. “As long as you don’t mind me wearing this cunning disguise?” He held up the woolly hat that Rich had given him in Cardiff.

“Oh, my God!” shrieked Buffy, snatching it and putting it on his head. “You went out with this on?” She burst out laughing.

Spike told her about the old woman thinking he was a down and out. Soon all four were laughing helplessly.

“So, Spike, as a local, where are you going to take me first?” asked Tara.

Rich, Spike and Buffy all exchanged glances, no one feeling comfortable with her not knowing the truth considering how embroiled she was in Spike’s problem.

“What?” said Tara. “What have I said?”

Rich looked at Spike, who nodded and said, “Tell her, mate. She deserves to know.”

“Tee, um…well, it’s a very long story but Spike is actually as American as you.”

“But…?”

Spike grinned at her, “This is where the whole ‘it’s a long story’ thing kicks in, pet. Better get another coffee - it’ll take a bit of time.”

Between the three of them, they told Tara the whole story of Spike’s eventful past.

“Oh, sweet Goddess,” she said when they finished. “And now this.”

They all sat in silence for a minute before Spike stood up.

“Come on, enough of that. Let’s go and see London. I reckon we should do the open top bus tour first, don’t you, Rich? Then we’ve got to do the Tower.”

“Off with your head!” shouted Rich in a posh accent.

The sombre moment passed and they all were laughing again as they went to get their coats.

0000000000

When Buffy looked back on this day in the future, she thought that it had been just about perfect. Rich and Tara were great company. She was delighted that Rich had found someone that he obviously thought the world of. Spike had been clowning around most of the day, never missing an opportunity to touch Buffy or kiss her. Yes, it had been a great day.

They were all stretched out on the couch and armchairs in the lounge, having a rest before going to the venue for the second show. Spike watched them all dozing and wished that he could join them. He still felt full of energy. It scared him because he knew that it was due to the impending vampirism and nothing else. He watched Buffy as she slept, his heart clenched with the love that he felt for her. He glanced at his watch – now on UK time – and saw that they had an hour before the car was collecting them to go to the O2 Arena. He couldn’t bear to sit there for all that time and so quietly got up and slipped out of the front door, deciding a walk was in order.

He strolled along, hands deep in his pockets, woolly hat pulled down to his eyebrows. He hadn’t put the shades on, figuring that they would draw more attention in conjunction with the hat. He was finding that as long as he didn’t feel stressed that he could change them at will now - another thing that scared him.

Rich had told him about the band thinking that he was on drugs and about the herbal calmer he was supposed to be on. They had talked about whether to tell the band or not, and decided to leave it for now.

Spike caught a movement out of the corner of his eye and turned to see what it was. He saw a man staring at him for a second before averting his eyes.

“Uh oh, been spotted.” He thought it was a fan but wasn’t really feeling in the mood for chatting and signing autographs so he dipped his head and upped his pace until he got home.

Mark breathed a sigh of relief as Spike walked briskly away. He had managed to hide the camera. Ethan would have gone crazy if he had tipped Spike off to being photographed. He made a mental note to be a little more careful.

Tbc


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews feed hungry plot bunnies! :)
Thanks for reading!