Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks as always to Carol and dawnofme for their beta work :) Really appreciate it ladies.
Chapter Twenty-Six

Love Bites

Spike stood on the very edge of the stage, the toes of his boots hanging over it. He grinned at the crowd, throwing his arms out and his head back. God, he loved his job. It was the last gig of the UK leg of the tour and the band had gone for broke. The Dingoes were well known for playing long sets, but tonight they had played an extra fifteen minutes, taking it up to two and a half hours. Spike should have been exhausted but he felt as high as a kite.

The final strains of the music faded away and for a second the stage was shrouded in darkness as the lights were switched off. The audience went wild. The lights came back on and the other three members of the band had joined Spike at the front of the stage.

“Well, London, we’ve had a great time!” shouted Spike. “I think that maybe you have, too?”

All four men laughed at the explosion of noise. When it had died down a little, Spike spoke again. “That’s Pete Rafferty, Joey Trader, Oz Osborne,” he pointed to each in turn, “and I’m Spike. We’re The Dingoes, and we’ll see you again soon!”

After soaking up more applause for a moment, the band walked slowly off the stage.

“Man, that was a great gig,” said Oz as they got backstage.

They all agreed that it was probably the best show they’d ever done. They had a few drinks backstage before they all left the venue for the last time. Spike, Buffy, Rich and Tara went to Rupert’s house. The others all decided to go clubbing, to celebrate the end of that part of the tour. They would get a month off before the U.S. leg started.

Spike was still pretty hyped up by the time they got home, but Rich and Tara were beginning to flag.

“I think we need to work off a bit of that energy,” joked Buffy, taking Spike’s hand and leading him upstairs.

“Think you’ve got enough stamina to outlast me, do you?” leered Spike as he went with her.

“We’ll soon find out.” She pulled him into the bedroom, pushing the door closed with her foot.

By the time they got to the bed, they were both naked.

“Oh, Buffy, you’re so bloody beautiful,” murmured Spike as he smothered her with kisses.

Buffy slid down his body until her lips found the tip of his erection. He groaned and raised his hips towards her. She teased him with licks until he was swearing at her.

“For Christ’s sake, Buffy, you’re bleeding killing me. Won’t last another sodding minute if you carry on doing that.”

“What was that you said about stamina?” teased Buffy.

“Cheeky sod,” said Spike, as he grabbed Buffy’s shoulder and, lightning fast, flipped them over so that he was on top of her. “See how you like it, shall we?”

He put his hands on Buffy’s hips to keep her still and went in search of her most sensitive of spots, nibbling and sucking until with a cry Buffy climaxed. She collapsed boneless into the pillows.

“Think we sorted out the stamina issue, eh pet?” chuckled Spike.

He moved up the bed and trailed kisses along her neck. Her pulse throbbed in her neck and he moaned softly as he felt it beat beneath his lips. His eyes changed colour, so he closed them. He willed them to change back, and after a moment, they did. He gasped as he felt a small hand firmly grip his erection.

“Need to do something about this,” said Buffy. She moved to sit astride him, but he stopped her.

“’S all right, love. I’ll do the work.”

She lay back on the bed and smiled lasciviously at him. “Sounds good to me.” She opened her thighs, inviting him in.

He didn’t need asking twice. He wanted to be on top of her. He wanted to be the one in control. He wanted to own her. As he moved inside her, his eyes changed to amber again but this time, he didn’t care. The heightened senses added both to his arousal and his pleasure.

“Christ, Buffy, I love you so much. You’re mine,” he gasped, close to climax.

“I’m yours, Spike. All yours.” Buffy trembled as he licked her neck. “Yours,” she repeated.

Spike thrust one last time and climaxed hard. He growled, startling Buffy with its primitive sound. “Mine,” he whispered. His lips felt the throb of her pulse and he bit into her neck.

“Ow! Shit, that hurts!” Buffy yelled, slapping at Spike’s head.

He came to his senses; he could see the livid bruise that he’d left on her neck. He scooted backwards across the bed in horror.

“Buffy!”

He glanced at her face. She was staring at him, eyes wide with fear, her hand clamped to her neck. Fear – she was looking at him with fear. What had he done? He leapt off the bed, scanning the bedroom wildly.

“Oh, God! No! I didn’t mean to hurt you. It just…just…” He grabbed his jeans from the floor and began to pull them on. “I couldn’t help it, Buffy – I couldn’t stop myself. Oh fuck.” He made for the door.

“Don’t go!” yelled Buffy, scrambling off the bed.

“I can’t stay, Buffy. What if…” He shook his head violently.

“You can stay,” insisted Buffy. “I’m okay. I’m all right, Spike.”

She got between him and the door. “Spike, let’s just talk this through, okay?” She could see the anguish on his face. She knew that he hadn’t been in control and that freaked her out, but she had to ground him and make him talk about it. She took a step towards him.

Spike backed away. “Don’t,” he snapped. “Don’t come near me.”

“Okay, whatever you want. Just sit down, all right?”

Spike realised that his legs were trembling, and he sat on the bottom corner of the bed, as far away from her as he could get.

“Don’t come close,” he said, his voice wavering.

Buffy’s heart felt like it would break to see him like this. “I won’t, but you’re not going to hurt me, so it wouldn’t matter if I did.”

He looked up at Buffy. She was still naked. His eyes changed to yellow as they fell on the bruise that he’d made. “Already have.”

Although she had never let Spike know, she hated it when his eyes were that flat amber colour. As he regarded her, she found that she didn’t want those hateful eyes looking at her nakedness. She glanced around until she saw Spike’s t-shirt on the floor. She scooped it up and put it on, pleased that it was long enough to cover her ass. She sat on the bed near the pillows.

“It surprised me, that’s all,” she said gently.

Spike leapt to his feet. “How can you say that? A bleeding surprise doesn’t leave a sodding great bruise on your neck!”

“Shh, Spike. Calm down.”

“Calm down? Calm fucking down? I just tried to rip your bleeding throat out!” He still wanted to taste her blood - to make her his.

Despite herself Buffy blanched. There was no going away from the fact that although he hadn’t been drunk from a third time, things were still changing for Spike. For the first time, she began to think that they might fail in their quest for a solution. Tears welled in her eyes. Spike cringed when he saw her tears. His eyes finally changed to blue. He put his head in his hands.

“It’s getting worse, Buffy. It’s going to happen.”

“It won’t! Tara’s got everyone looking for that vampire. It’s just a matter of time before it’s found.”

“Time? But have we got enough left? I couldn’t live with myself if I hurt anybody. Hurt anybody else,” he corrected.

Buffy sidled up the bed to get a little closer to Spike. She was pleased that he didn’t move away. “Tell me what you felt when you did it.”

Spike lifted his head to meet her eyes, his own clouded with emotion. “What I was feeling? What the hell does it matter? I hurt you, Buffy.”

“Humour me, okay? We were making love. What made you have to bite?”

Spike buried his head in his hands once more. He was silent for a long time. “It was when you said that you were mine. To make it true I had to taste your blood.” He glanced at her again. “I wasn’t trying to kill you.” He was amazed as he realised that he had only wanted to taste her, not drain her. “I wasn’t.”

“Well, when you growl, you do sound kind of like a lion, and they bite the lioness when they mate,” said Buffy with a slight smile. “Maybe it’s something like that?”

“Oh, God, Buffy. You’re incredible.” He couldn’t help but laugh quietly.

Encouraged by this, Buffy moved closer to him and was dismayed when he stood up and moved away.

“Spike, it’s all right. You didn’t want to kill me so there’s no need to avoid me.”

“I can’t, Buffy,” said Spike bleakly. “I’m too afraid that I’ll do it again. I need to talk to Tara about it. She might have a spell that will protect you all from me.” He walked to the door.

“Spike, look at the time. Let her sleep, she was exhausted. Come back to bed.”

Spike glanced at his watch. It was almost two thirty am. “Okay, I’ll wait until the morning, but I’m going to sleep in the spare room.”

Buffy’s eyes widened. Spike never went into the room that had been James’ if he could help it and now he was saying that he was going to sleep there.

“You stay here, I’ll go,” said Buffy.

“No, Buffy,” said Spike firmly, he reached the door and walked out, closing it behind him.

When the door closed, the tears that had been threatening were unstoppable. Buffy lay back on the bed and silently sobbed. Part of it was shock, but most of it was fear of what the future held for Spike.

Spike leant against the door. His eyes were amber, and his heightened hearing that went alongside it had no difficulty in catching the sound of Buffy crying. He gritted his teeth to stop his own tears. He knew that he’d be unable to stop if he started. He walked across the landing to the spare room - to James’ room, as he still thought of it. He went inside and sat on the bed. After a minute, he knew that he wouldn’t be able to sleep, so he quietly crept downstairs and into the lounge room. He slumped dispiritedly onto the couch.

“Thank God that the UK tour’s over,” he thought in relief. But his stomach clenched as he thought that the U.S. leg might never be done at all. He might be dead by then.

He was startled out of his dark thoughts by a voice suddenly announcing ‘you have mail’. Spike glanced around and saw that Tara had left her computer on. He walked to it and peered at the screen. It was already on the e-mail page. Spike could read the heading on the new message.

WE’VE FOUND IT!

It could only mean one thing. The vampire had been located. He clicked the ‘read’ button.

Hi Tara,

Thank the sweet Goddess for her help. We’ve traced the vampire that crossed over!

The really strange thing is that it’s in America, Sunnydale to be precise. Do you think that it knows of Spike?

Please be very careful when you try to catch it. They may not be of our dimension but they are still in possession of all of their powers.

We don’t know what sex it is, or exactly where in Sunnydale that it is located. I have a horrible feeling that it will find you rather than the other way around.

The coven sends their blessings,

Love,

Jessica


“Sunnydale. The bastard is trying to find me.”

Spike clicked the ‘keep as new’ button. He knew what he had to do. He pulled on his leather duster over his bare chest and shoved his sockless feet into his boots. He checked that he had his cell phone and his wallet, and then he walked to the front door. He paused, turned around and searched for a piece of paper and a pen. Luckily he found them near the computer.

He wrote. “I’m sorry. I just have to be alone for a while. I’ll be back tomorrow.”

He put the note in the kitchen, near to the kettle. He walked back to the door and this time he went through it.


Tbc


Chapter End Notes:
Reviews keep me and my plot bunnies happy! :)