Author's Chapter Notes:
Well that's it - the last chapter! Thanks as always to two remarkable women - Carol (seapea) and dawnofme - for their excellent beta work :)
The lyrics in this chapter are from Dream Catch Me by Newton Faulkner.

Chapter Thirty-Eight

All’s Well That Ends Well

Two months later…

Spike took his guitar from the roadie and walked towards the front of the stage. He stared out at the sea of faces before him for a moment, and then put the strap over his shoulder, settled the guitar in position and gave it a strum. He grinned as the crowd cheered loudly.

“Well, Sunnydale,” he said into the microphone, “this is it. The last song of the last concert date of our tour.”

Loud groans replaced the cheers. Spike held his hands up.

“I know, I know. I don’t want it to end either, but we’re due in the studio to work on our next album, and you just know that we’ll be back on the road to promote that.”

He glanced to the left of the stage. His heart leapt as it always did when he saw Buffy. She was standing there watching him and she smiled as their eyes met. God, he loved her so much it was almost a physical pain. Next to her were Rich and Tara, who had their arms around each other. Rich wasn’t quite as tall as Tara but they still made a striking couple. Spike swore that he could see the diamond on her left ring finger glinting, even from where he stood. They were rock solid together and due to marry in just a few weeks. After the experiences of the past few weeks, they saw no reason to wait. Who knew what fate might throw at you next?

Spike’s eyes fell on James. They’d just about gotten over the strangeness of his arrival and James seemed happy to be here. Spike nodded at him and received a wink in reply.

He wondered if Angel had made it home safe but quickly pushed that thought away as an image of Angel kissing Buffy flashed through his mind. He shuddered slightly, it didn’t matter that it wasn’t his own Buffy; it still gave him the creeps. He turned his attention back to his job.

“So,” said Spike, “seeing how this is our hometown, I reckon you deserve to hear something that no one outside of the band has heard yet. This is a new song that I’ve just finished writing. It will be on the album, and I’m hoping it will be the first single taken from it. I hope you like it.”

Spike looked down at his guitar. He noticed that the spotlight he was in had highlighted the faint scars on the back of hands. A reminder – as if he could forget – of the night when it all had finally come to a head.

Two months earlier…

The dust was still swirling around the basement, as all five stared at each other in total bewilderment. Spike struggled to his feet and tried to walk towards the sandy haired man, only to be brought up short by the chains on his ankles.

“James?” said Spike in awe. “Is that really you?”

“Already said that’s my name,” said James, backing up. “The question I want you to answer is – how the hell do you know it?” He glanced around wildly. “And where, exactly, am I?”

Spike looked back at the others, who had stood up and were at his shoulders. He took Buffy’s hand in his. Rich was pale with shock and trembling. Spike could feel his own hands shaking. He turned to face James.

“Well, the quick answer is that you’re in the basement of Tara’s house in Sunnydale, California,” said Spike, gesturing to Tara with his free hand.

“Okay,” said James dubiously. He let his gaze fall on each of them in turn. “I’ve got some more questions.” He held himself rigid as if he expected them to attack him.

“Ask them, then,” said Spike. “’Cause I’ve got a few of my own, too.”

“Right.” James seemed at a bit of a loss as to what to say first. “Firstly, why are you chained to a pillar?” He pointed at Spike. “And why is he looking at me like he’s seen a bleeding ghost?”

A snort of hysterical laughter escaped from Rich. “That’s ‘cause that’s what you sodding are, isn’t it?” he said quietly.

“What? So I’m dead?” sneered James. “Don’t feel dead. In fact, the way my bloody head is throbbing, makes me think that death wouldn’t be such a bad thing.”

“Don’t fucking say that!” snarled Rich, making all of them start.

Tara glanced at Rich with concern. “Why don’t we all go upstairs and we’ll talk in more comfort?”

“Good idea, Tara,” said Buffy.

Tara couldn’t understand why Spike and Rich – especially Rich – were acting as if they knew James. He obviously didn’t know them. She unlocked the shackles on Spike’s ankles and they all filed slowly up the narrow steps. Soon, they were sitting on the chairs in the lounge room holding the mugs of tea or coffee that Tara had made.

James had chosen an armchair a little apart from the others and was looking around the room. The cosy setting made him feel even less at ease. He had absolutely no idea of what had happened to him. The two men kept staring at him with an intensity that he found unnerving. The girls were just looking at him curiously.

There was a moment’s uncomfortable silence before James cleared his throat.

“Will you tell me how you know my name?” he asked.

Rich and Spike exchanged looks. “Don’t take this the wrong way, mate, but before we answer that can you tell us where you were before you came to be in the basement?” said Spike.

He and Buffy were snuggled together in an armchair, allowing Rich and Tara to have the couch to themselves.

James rubbed his right hand over his dirty face, smearing it even more. “I was just walking down the street. Then there was this bright light and I was falling – but how could I be if I was on the sidewalk?” He shook his head at the memory. “Then I woke up down there.” He stood up. “Why am I even sitting here? I don’t owe you any explanation.” James shrugged and smiled wryly. “Okay, maybe I do, for turning up so unexpected like, but – still, I reckon I’ll just be off.”

He walked to the door. Buffy had been trying to think where she might have seen him before. It clicked into place when she saw that smile. She’d seen the photograph just about every day.

She quickly got up and stood between him and the door. “Please don’t go. I really do think that we have to talk. They’re just a bit shocked. They think that you’re James Norman. If you are, then Spike’s your cousin.” She pointed at him. “And Rich was your best friend before you die – er – disappeared.

James stared at the petite blonde. “Look, you’re not wrong about the name, but I’m sorry, I’ve never seen either of them before.”

“Maybe you’ll recognise their names?” insisted Buffy. “Spike’s name is Norman too – well it was Pratt – but that’s a whole other story.”

“Don’t blame him for changing it,” said James with a hint of a smile.

Buffy grinned at him. “Rich’s full name is Richard Bayliss.”

That got James’ attention. He whipped around to look at Rich. “No, it can’t be…it couldn’t…”

“What isn’t?” prompted Tara, feeling Rich tense up beside her.

James shook his head, and waved his hand in a dismissive gesture. “No, sorry. My mistake. It’s impossible.”

Rich got to his feet. “Look, mate, trust me when I say that right now just about anything is bloody possible. Just say what you were going to say – no matter how daft it sounds.”

James took a step backwards, his brain added reeling to the throbbing it was already doing. He took a deep breath. So what did it matter if these people thought that he was bonkers? He could be out of the door in seconds and they’d never have to see him again.

“Right. Rich was my best friend when I was little.” He paused when everyone gasped. He looked each in the eye before continuing. “But when I moved out here from England with my parents, we lost touch. Then I heard that he’d died; leukaemia or something. Strange that you have the same name – it’s not that common.

“I’m dead!” squeaked Rich.

James looked at him as if he was crazy and began to back out of the room. These people were strange and he was going to get out of there as quickly as possible.

Spike could tell exactly what James was thinking. “Just let me ask you one thing and then if you want to you can leave. Okay?”

“Don’t worry; I’m going to bleeding leave whatever you say.” Despite his thoughts, James nodded.

“Have you ever seen a vampire?” asked Spike, staring intently at James.

“Shit! What do I say? If I tell them yes, they’ll think I’m insane. No one ever fucking believes me. And I’m not going back to hospital for anybody.” James shook his head rapidly. “’Course not, how could I have? Not sodding real, are they? Can I go now? I need to get home.”

“Why did you ask him that?” whispered Buffy.

“’Cause he can’t be the James that me and Rich knew. I just thought that somehow he must have come from Angel’s dimension,” replied Spike, eyes still on James. “If he’d seen a vampire then that would kind of prove it. It’s okay, James, you can leave. Don’t want your family worrying about you. But if things aren’t as they should be, come back here, okay?”

James hesitated; the intense blue eyes of Spike reminded him of his own. “Um…I don’t have anyone who’d worry about me,” he said without self-pity. It was simply a statement of fact.

“You don’t? What happened to your parents?” asked Spike, curious to know. In this reality, James had died with his parents and Spike’s mom in that car wreck.

James looked down for a moment. “Do I tell the truth or the ‘official’ version?” “They were murdered by a gang on PCP,” he said. “Play safe – ‘official’ version it is.” “I came home and interrupted them. I tried to fight them but they were too strong.” His voice caught and he swallowed hard before looking up and meeting Spike’s stare. “I was lucky to survive myself because one bi…er…stabbed my neck and left me lying in a pool of blood.”

Spike’s eyes widened as he heard James’ explanation of the tragedy of his parents’ deaths. “Don’t you mean that you were bitten? And I bet you have a scar like this on your neck.”

Spike stepped closer to James and tilted his head to show the scars where Dru had sunk her fangs into him. James gasped and reached out to touch the scar before he pulled down the collar of his jacket to show his own.

“Vampires,” said Spike softly. “They were vampires, James. Why didn’t you say? How old were you when this happened?”

James was surprised to find his eyes filled with tears. This guy believed him. Really believed him and had the scars to prove it.

“I was seventeen,” replied James.

No one in the room was surprised at the age. Like Tara had said when this was all starting – the dimension would be similar but not the same. But pivotal things probably happened along the same timeline.

“James, why don’t you sit down again?” suggested Tara.

James blinked rapidly and walked on unsteady legs back to the chair.

“What happened to you afterwards?” asked Buffy.

James hesitated before he began to speak. “Um…well, they all left when they heard the sirens. By then I was pretty much out of it. Then when I was in the hospital, a cop came in and asked me what had happened.” He dropped his gaze to his hands and smiled bitterly. “That’s when I made the mistake of telling them the truth.”

“Oh, James,” said Buffy.

James met her eyes. “Yeah, then I really stuffed up by telling it again, repeatedly. They acted like they believed me just long enough to find out that I had no living relatives and then admitted me to a mental institution as soon as the paperwork was processed.”

He grimaced as he saw the sympathy in their eyes. It was always the bloody same when people found out what had happened. Lots of sympathy and then lots of avoiding him afterwards.

“It wasn’t so bad,” he lied. “Was only for a year.”

Spike looked at him in horror. The poor bastard. “What did you do when you…er…”

“When they let me out?” said James. “I got out on my eighteenth birthday – they couldn’t make me stay after that unless I was formally re-committed. By then I’d learned my lesson and told them what they wanted to hear. I made my way back to Sunnydale and tried to find a place to live. I’ve done okay. I tried to go back to school to graduate but couldn’t earn enough to do it and pay for somewhere to live.”

“What about your parent’s house?” asked Tara quietly.

James laughed softly. “Ah, there’s the rub. Found out that my inheritance had been used to pay for my ‘treatment’. I’d signed the papers – I saw my signature, but I can’t remember when I did it. I reckon it was in the first couple of months that I was in there. They kept me pretty much out of it on drugs.” He rubbed his hands across his face again. “Good of ‘em, eh?”

He lifted his eyes and stared at them. He couldn’t believe that he’d told these strangers the truth. He never told anyone the truth, never opened up. Once bitten – twice shy and all that. He looked at the scar on Spike’s neck and felt an affinity to him.

“So what happened to you?” James asked Spike.

“This is where it gets a bit complicated, mate,” said Spike. “’Cause vampires don’t exist here –”

“I thought you fucking believed me!” James yelled and leapt to his feet, startling them all.

He bolted for the door. James was through it and running down the hall to the front door before anyone had time to react. They heard it slam shut as Rich got to his feet to follow him.

Tara grabbed Rich’s hand. “Let him go,” she said.

“I can’t,” said Rich, his eyes welling up. “I can’t lose him, Tee.”

Tara stood and wrapped her arms around him. “He’s not yours to lose, Rich. He’s not your James.”

“I know.” Rich’s voice broke. “But he looks just like him and –”

“Shh, baby,” soothed Tara. “He’ll come back. He hasn’t anywhere else to go. He doesn’t belong here.”

Spike buried his head in his hands as Tara spoke. His head was spinning with it all. He leant his head against Buffy’s shoulder. “What are we going to do?” he whispered. “Oh, Buffy, will we ever be back to normal?”

“Well, you’re back to normal and that’s what matters to me,” replied Buffy.

She cupped his chin in her hand and brought his face up to meet hers. She pulled him towards her and kissed him. Spike sighed and deepened the kiss, throwing his arms around her and clinging to her.

“God, I love you so much. You know that, don’t you?” he said.

Buffy pulled back far enough to give him a sharp look. “Do you really need to ask me that, you dope?”

Spike grinned and resumed the kissing and for a moment or two nothing but the two of them seemed to exist.

Tara had gotten Rich back on the couch and they were doing pretty much the same thing!

0000000

James didn’t stop running until he was half way to the shabby one-room apartment that he called home.

“Stupid idiot,” he chided himself. “What the hell were you thinking? Have you never learned anything?”

He stomped along the sidewalk, muttering to himself. He rummaged in his jeans pocket and took out his door key. James put it in the lock and turned it. The lock opened but the door didn’t budge.

“What now?”

He pushed at the door, but still it didn’t move. In his frustration he kicked at it.

“Stupid thing!”

James stepped away from it when a light went on inside. There was a sound of a bolt being drawn back and the door was flung open.

“Do you know what freaking time it is?” yelled a short, bald headed man. “What do you want?”

James stood there with his mouth open. He only managed to force words out as the man began to close the door again. James stepped forward and put his foot in the doorway to prevent it from being able to shut completely.

“I – I want to know what you’re doing in my home?” he rasped.

“It’s my place, you retard, lived here for five years. Get out of here before I call the cops.” The man shoved James in the stomach and slammed the door when James staggered back.

James walked out onto the street and sat on the edge of the curb, head hanging low. He was close to tears. The man’s words had stung. He’d suffered a lot of ridicule when he’d first gotten out of the institution – none of his friends had wanted anything to do with him. That was when the last vestiges of the happy-go-lucky boy that he’d been before the death of his parents had finally died, to be replaced by wary caution.

“What do I do now? I don’t understand what’s going on. Have I really lost my mind?” he mumbled. “Shit, I’m even talking to myself now – a sure sign that I’m cracking up.”

Unconsciously he fingered the scar on his neck. Spike. Rich. The two girls whose names he hadn’t been told. Maybe if there were answers to what had happened to him tonight, then they would be able to give them to him. James stood up, brushed the seat of his grubby jeans and walked slowly back to Tara’s small house.

0000000

“James is here,” said Spike, easing Buffy off his lap and walking to the door, arriving at it just as a quiet rap sounded on it.

Spike opened it and smiled at James. “Come on in.”

James nodded briefly and stepped past Spike and into the house.

“We’re all still in the lounge room,” said Spike, and he followed James into the room.

James didn’t look at anyone, just paid serious attention to his shoes as he returned to the chair he’d vacated about an hour earlier.

Buffy, Tara, Spike and Rich all glanced at each other. They couldn’t fail to notice that James was trembling. They all could understand how he felt – his world had literally been changed. Tara squeezed Rich’s hand and stood up.

“I think we’d all do better with a hot drink,” she said. “What would you like, James? Tea or coffee? I might even have some hot chocolate.”

James met her eye for a second. “Um…chocolate, please.” The way his heart was racing, he didn’t think that introducing caffeine would be a good thing right now.

Once they were all holding a mug filled with their choice of drink, Spike began to talk.

“Right, let’s start with properly introducing ourselves. I’m Spike Norman; I’m the lead singer of a band called The Dingoes.”

He pointed at Rich who, despite being warned by Tara whispering in his ear not to stare, was doing just that. He just couldn’t take his eyes from this version of his old best friend.

“That’s Rich Bayliss; he’s the band’s manager. The girls are Buffy Summers…” Spike gave Buffy a squeeze.

“I – I think that there was a Buffy in my year at school,” said James hesitantly. “Hung out with an older guy, if I’m remembering right. Was that you?”

He ducked his head and took a sip of his chocolate as the four of them all looked sharply at each other. “What did I say?”

“You’re remembering right,” said Buffy, realising that he was talking of the other Buffy and Angel but wanting to put him more at ease.

“And last, but by no means least, is Tara Maclay, Rich’s fiancée,” said Spike.

“Well, you all know who I am, and all my bleeding history,” said James. “I thought you believed me. I thought you’d been bitten too.”

He cringed at the whining note in his voice. But he’d been alone for so long, he craved to feel connected to someone – to feel that he could be totally honest with someone.

“I do believe you and I was bitten,” replied Spike, leaning forward in his chair and running his left hand through his hair. The left hand that bore only faint burn marks on it. He had healed as the spell had come into force. “The real test is whether you’ll believe what we tell you from now on.”

By the time that Spike had finished telling James what had happened over the past few weeks, it was almost dawn. Between them, Tara, Rich, Spike and Buffy, told James everything from all angles.

“I’m so sorry, James, that my spell has somehow involved you,” said Tara. “I’ll e-mail the coven right now and see if we can work out a way to get you home.”

James had relaxed more as the night had worn on, and he smiled at Tara. “Do you think that I’ll be upsetting the balance of the parallel universe if I just stayed here? I don’t mean here – with you – I mean here as in this dimension?” He fiddled nervously with his fingers. “It’s just that…um…a place without vampires sounds like a good place to stay. I can find somewhere to live and –”

“No you will not!” said Rich quickly.

James’ face fell. “Oh, okay…um…see what you can do, Tara.”

“No, mate,” said Rich. “I meant that you don’t need to find somewhere to live. I don’t need my apartment anymore – you’re welcome to live there.”

“And where, pray tell, do you think that you are going to live, Rich?” teased Tara with a wink to an embarrassed James.

“Um…here with you,” replied Rich, grabbing her and tickling her until she squealed for mercy. “Don’t tell me that you don’t want me after all.”

Spike coughed loudly as Tara responded with a kiss. “Save it for the bedroom – poor James isn’t used to you two mauling each other all the time!”

“Pot. Kettle. Black!” retorted Rich, throwing a cushion at Spike. “Sound familiar?”

They all laughed and James had to swallow hard to keep his emotions in check – the playful bantering reminding him of how he’d been with his friends before his parents’ death.

“I think that we all really ought to get some sleep,” suggested Buffy.

Tara’s house had only two bedrooms and so she brought down some blankets for James to use on the couch. She sat down next to him. “I’ll have to get the coven to make sure that you staying here won’t upset the natural balance of things, but it doesn’t mean that I don’t want you to stay, okay?”

“Thanks, Tara. I understand. I’d hate to think that my being here would make someone go through what Spike has had to endure.”

“Sleep well, James,” she said, kissing his cheek as she stood.

“Good night, Tara,” he replied.

Two months later…

Spike played the intro to the song he had only just completed. His gaze fell to Buffy once more. He smiled at her before turning back to the microphone and beginning to sing.

“Every time I close my eyes

It’s you and I know now

Who I am…”

The crowded auditorium fell silent as the audience was entranced by Spike’s voice and the lyrics he was singing.

“Dream catch me, yeah.

Dream catch me when I fall

Or I won’t come back at all.

You do so much

That you don’t know

It’s true

And I know now

Who I am.”

Spike remembered that at the end, he’d wanted the change to be completed, but having spoken to Tara about it, he knew that it had been the demon that had wanted it – not him. For the first time in a good while, Spike finally felt that he knew who he was again.

The other band members gathered round when he’d finished the song. Pete and Joey grabbed Spike and raised him up onto their shoulders. The crowd was going wild. Hometowns always had the best vibe but Spike felt as high as a kite. He’d come within a hair’s breath of never completing this tour.

He made his way to his dressing room, rubbing the sweat from his face with the towel a roadie had handed him. Buffy and he would leave for their own home in an hour or so. He just had to sign a couple of autographs for the fans who’d gotten backstage passes. He’d been a little ‘busy’ with Buffy before the gig. Spike opened the door and walked in, sighing with disappointment when he saw that Buffy wasn’t already there.

He sat at the dressing table and stared at his reflection in the mirror. He touched it with his fingers.

“Nice to have you back,” he said as he grinned at himself. “You handsome devil!”

Thank God things were back to normal. He winced as he recalled the furore over the ‘gay’ photographs in the papers – not least the bollocking he got from Rupert and Joyce for, a) not letting them know about returning to the U.S., b) not getting in touch when the photos hit the papers, c) drinking again and…

To Spike’s relief his thoughts were interrupted by a knock on the door and Xander asking if he could come in. Spike slicked his slightly curly hair back from his forehead with his fingers and turned towards the door.

“Yeah, come in, Xan.”

“Got a couple of girls here that are anxious to meet you – poor misguided souls,” joked Xander as he ushered in a pair of blushing girls.

“Sod off,” said Spike, without malice. “Okay, so which one of you is Dawn?” asked Spike. “Your dad told me all about you.” He grinned.

“God, I hope not!” said the taller of the girls. “That’d be way too embarrassing.”

“Don’t worry, love. He stopped short of showing me your baby pics.”

Xander leant on a wall and marvelled at how Spike could get the fans feeling so at ease. He was a good guy – one of a kind. Xander opened the door when someone tapped on it. He smiled when he saw that it was James. Rich had a rule that no band member was ever left alone with any fans just in case one was malicious and went to the press with a bunch of lies. Now that James was here, Xander could get back to overseeing packing all the stage equipment away for the last time.

“James! Be a buddy and stay with Spike for a while,” said Xander, ducking out before James could reply.

“Uh…okay,” replied James to Xander’s rapidly disappearing back.

He turned his attention into the room and his heart lurched as his eyes fell on the most gorgeous girl that he’d ever seen. She boldly met his eye and smiled. James was lost. He never had a chance. Spike grinned when he saw how pole-axed James was.

When the girls went home fifteen minutes later, James had Dawn’s cell phone number in his pocket and a tentative date set for the following Saturday.

Spike nudged James as they walked out of the building to where the cars were parked. “Dunno how impressed I am that you pinched what her dad had said was my number one fan.”

James pushed him back. “Come on, there isn’t a girl on the planet that doesn’t know that you only have eyes for Buffy. Dawn’s smart enough not to waste emotion on something that she can’t have.”

“Whereas you…?”

“She can have as many times as she wants!”

Spike put his arm round James. He’d really changed in the past month. The wary look in his eyes had been replaced with a twinkle that more than reminded Spike of the ‘other’ James. They’d all been delighted when the coven had found no reason for him not to stay here.

“Speaking of Buffy,” said Spike. “Where is she?”

“That’s what I came to tell you – she went home a while ago.”

“Is she okay? Not ill or anything?” asked Spike anxiously.

“She’s fine – just said she didn’t want to hang around.”

“Oh, all right. Talk to you tomorrow then, yeah?”

“You bet.”

James walked to his motorbike, slipped on the helmet and leather jacket that he’d left on its seat and roared out of the secured parking lot. Spike climbed wearily into the car that was booked to take him home. He let his eyes close on the short journey and, like the song, all he could see was Buffy. He tugged at the crotch of his jeans as he began to harden at the thought of what he intended to do when he got home.

Spike could hardly get in the house and up the stairs quick enough. He came to a standstill as he stepped in the bedroom. Candles adorned every surface and lying on the silky sheets of their ridiculously large bed was Buffy. A very naked Buffy. His breath caught in his throat.

“Christ,” he whispered.

He walked towards the bed, shedding clothes as he went, making her giggle as he tried to take his jeans off before removing his boots. He managed to stay on his feet and soon was as naked as she was and obviously pleased to see her. Spike crawled up the bed towards her. Buffy placed a foot on his chest.

“Oh, no you don’t,” she said firmly. “Shower first!”

“But –”

“No buts! No Buffy until you’re smelling a little sweeter!”

Spike grumbled as he padded off to the bathroom.

He stared balefully at his reflection. “Bossy bint,” he muttered and then grinned as his eyes flashed yellow.

He could see why the others had backed off – they did look bloody strange. His still heightened senses picked up Buffy saying that she wished he’d hurry up. The eyes, the senses – he could smell Buffy’s arousal from here – the hearing and the strength had all stayed. None of them were sure why. But he could control when he used them and Tara had done a spell to make sure that no remnant of the demon remained. It hadn’t, thankfully. He missed being able to growl though – that had been fun!

“Come on, Spike.”

He heard Buffy’s whisper and it prompted him to get the quickest shower on record. A rather floral smelling Spike walked out of the ensuite, having picked up Buffy’s shower gel by mistake.

This time Buffy’s foot rubbed somewhere totally different and he groaned as he struggled to control himself. God, she always got him so excited. He grabbed the offending foot and proceeded to lick and nibble his way up her body. He laughed out loud as his attentions between her thighs made her climax.

“And that’s just for starters.”

“It better be,” said Buffy, when she could get enough breath to speak.

“Oh, it is,” said Spike, finally reaching her lips, having teased at her nipples on the way. He mashed his mouth on hers and kissed her.

They didn’t emerge from the bedroom for hours…

The End.


Chapter End Notes:
Thank you all for reading and commenting along the way. I have a feeling that I shall be back, continuing to follow the lives of Spike, Buffy, Rich, Tara and James.