Author's Chapter Notes:
Awesome banner by nmcil! I do actually have 2, but the other will work better a bit later on.
Her heart was breaking as she cried her eyes out, burying her face helplessly in her hands, her whole body racked with sobs. The man she loved was… She couldn’t even finish the thought, sobbing harshly, bitterly – oblivious to her surroundings. But then, suddenly there was the softest pressure against her back and through her tears, she recognised Spike’s presence as his hand patted her back almost hesitantly. Unable to respond to him, too caught up in her emotions, she sagged slightly towards him, still crying harshly. His arm tightened around her slightly and then he spoke, his voice soft, low – and with no hint of insanity.

“Shhh, it’s okay.”

She raised teary eyes to his, only to find a fully alert Spike regarding her with concern and some anger. He raised a hand to her cheek and frowned.

“He hit you.”

She could only nod in reply, biting her lip to hold back another outburst of sobs.

“He was wrong,” he murmured, fingers stroking over her cheek.

He had never been this clear before and she realised that it was the blood – her blood, Slayer’s blood.

“He had to have smelled Dru,” he mumbled, almost to himself, “There’s no way he couldn’t have known she was here.”

This clarification hurt more than she liked to admit and she couldn’t stop another harsh sob breaking from her, bringing her to hide her face in her hand.

“He was just looking for a fight,” he continued, his hand moving gently over her bowed head, “But he’ll regret it like hell in the morning, I’ll tell you that much.”

She raised her watery gaze to his, sniffing helplessly.

“I’ve never seen him so…”

“I didn’t reckon so,” he said with a wry smile, brushing her hair back from her face, “Always was good at hiding his temper when he needed to.”

She wiped her eyes, still fighting the aching in her heart and the tears it prompted.



After a moment’s silence, Spike spoke up again.

“Are you okay, pet?”

She raised her head and nodded hesitantly.

“I’m just… shocked, I guess.”

He nodded and then turned towards the dead girl, his whole body tensing.

“We really should do something about her.”

Her gaze moved to the girl as well and she grimaced.

“What was Drusilla trying to do?” she whispered and Spike turned back to her, eyes turned sad.

“Helping, or so she thought.”

He shook his head, his gaze falling on the floor, and she reached out to touch his shoulder, drawing his eyes to hers.

“You don’t have to… I’ll – I’ll sort it out.”

“Slayer-“

“No, it’s okay.”

She rose shakily to her feet and approached the girl, trying not to look at the sightless eyes. She was a pretty, young brunette and Buffy couldn’t help wondering if she had a whole family worrying about her right now. She forced the thought away – she couldn’t think about that right now – and crouched down beside the girl, unsure how to continue. She was about to pick the girl up under the arms when Spike appeared at her feet and she jumped in surprise.

“We’ll do it together,” he whispered.

She was too glad to resist and so together, they lifted her and carried her down the stairs and out into the garden.



They lay her down on the grass and she tried to think of what to do. It wasn’t every day she had to deal with corpses, after all. Her expertise was sort of limited to the walking ones. She looked over at Spike and found his troubled gaze fixed on the girl.

“It wasn’t your fault,” she murmured and his head snapped up.

She saw the guilt written there – after all, she had seen it in Angel often enough – but then he covered it quickly. He swallowed hard and nodded jerkily.

“We should bury her, I guess,” she commented lowly, twisting her hands together nervously. Spike nodded and disappeared into the house but before she could move to follow him, he reappeared with a spade and she raised an eyebrow in surprise.

“You’d be surprised what people leave around their houses,” he remarked, moving back to her side.

They stood looking at the body for an uncomfortably long time until she forced herself into motion, taking the spade from Spike and beginning to dig. She dug a shallow hole and together they rolled the body in and she quickly covered it, wanting to gag even as she did.

She quickly fled back into the house, glad that Spike followed her and sank into a chair in the living room, her whole body trembling. Spike pulled a chair out and sat down opposite her, reaching out and taking her hands between his, rubbing them gently.

“I’m cold,” she whined, teeth chattering, her hands shaking in his.

“It’s just shock,” he explained, rubbing her hands a little harder.

“I’ve never…”

She didn’t need to explain: she knew he understood. He simply nodded and continued to rub her hands.



She found herself watching him, watching for the moment when she lost him again to the insanity but suddenly he looked up, bright eyes meeting hers.

“I’m still me,” he murmured, with a tiny smile, “Will be for a while yet.”

“I don’t understand.”

“Slayer blood,” he explained, eyes just flicking to her neck, “More powerful than normal blood.”

“Oh.”

They fell silent, his hands falling still, his eyes darting nervously to hers.

“Slayer, why-“

“Buffy, there you are!”

Both she and Spike jumped at her mother’s voice and bolted upright, turning to the door where she stood.

“Spike,” Joyce repeated in a softer voice, eyes taking in the vampire, obviously trying to figure out if he was sane or not.

“Mrs. Summers,” he answered with a slight nod of greeting and she didn’t miss her mother’s slight smile before she turned to her. Her mother’s knowing gaze ran over her and landed on her neck.

“You’re hurt.”

She had almost forgotten about the wound on her neck and raised her fingers to the mark.

“Oh, it’s nothing,” she lied, eyes flicking to Spike’s, “I had a little accident.”

Her mother didn’t seem quite sure but finally she nodded and moved into the room, producing a bag from behind her back.

“I brought dinner.”



Her mother placed the bag down on the table and began pulling containers of pre-cooked food from it. She glanced at Spike then and smiled gently.

“Would you like some, Spike?”

He looked momentarily surprised but then he gave her a shy smile.

“I’d like that, Mrs. Summers.”

“Joyce, please,” her mother replied, “Mrs. Summers makes me feel so old.”

“Will it make you feel better if I tell you I remember Lincoln being assassinated?” he commented with a shy smile and Joyce laughed, serving out the food. As she handed them their plates of food, Buffy glanced at Spike.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t know you ate normal food.”

“Blood’s not exactly a varied diet,” he explained with a soft smile, “But it’s okay, you weren’t to know.”

This Spike seemed strangely less coarse when he spoke, much more intelligent and refined and it made her think back on Angel’s ‘William was a gentleman’ statement. Except that made her think of Angel which right now was not a good thing. Luckily her mother spoke up, turning to Spike.

“It’s good to see you up and about, Spike. You look much better.”

“You’ve been here before?” he asked in confusion, glancing at Buffy.

“You were a bit out of it last time,” Buffy explained quietly.

“Oh, right.”

“Have you had a chance to ask him what he’d like to do, Buffy?” her mother asked and Spike gave her another confused look.

“Not yet. It’s been a… a busy evening.”



She turned to Spike and they shared a small smile.

“Erm, well the thing is, my mom wants me to come home.”

“Oh,” he spoke up softly, eyes moving from hers.

“But, erm, well… I said I didn’t want to leave you alone.”

“Slayer, really I’m-“

“Don’t even try and tell me you’re fine,” she said firmly, but smiling softly, “And I thought I told you it was Buffy.”

He looked confused for a moment, perhaps not remembering that conversation, but then he gave her a tiny smile and nodded.

“Buffy, right.”

“Anyway,” she continued, “Well, erm… if you want…”

“We’d like you to come and stay with us,” Joyce cut in, giving her a pointed look before turning to smile at Spike.

The vampire was visibly stunned and for a long moment, all he did was look between the two of them in surprise and confusion.

“I couldn’t… I mean, I-“

“You know, us Summers women can be pretty stubborn,” her mother commented with a wide smile and Buffy laughed lightly, “And if we want something done, it tends to happen.”

“I- But-“

He was at a loss for words and with a gentle smile, Buffy reached out and placed a hand over his.

“I’m not sure staying here is good for you. Especially after tonight,” she added in a low voice, hoping her mother wouldn’t ask any questions.

His eyes met hers and then finally, he nodded.

“O-Okay. I mean, that would be… Thank you.”

She smiled widely and squeezed his hand in hers before releasing it and turning back to her dinner.