“Spike!” she called out, pounding her fist against the door, “Hurry up! I haven’t even done my hair yet!”

She heard him chuckle from within the bathroom and she frowned, knocking on the door again.

“Pleeease?! Come on, it’s not even like you need a mirror!”

There was a long silence but then the door swung open. She forced her wide eyes from his bare chest, certain she was blushing, and gave him a wide smile.

“Thank you!”

“You owe me, Slayer.”

“Yeah, yeah, move it,” she teased, nudging him out of the way and moving into the bathroom, “Some of us need much longer to make ourselves sexy.”

“What can I say?” he drawled, “Some of us are just born with it.”

She turned to gape at him but he was already gone, the door of the spare room closing behind him. She laughed slightly and shook her head, closing the bathroom door. His confidence was definitely returning in leaps and bounds now. Not that he was all wrong about that sexy thing, she mused to herself. There was something inherently sexy about him: maybe it was a bad boy thing. Shaking her head, she laughed and turned to the mirror and inspected herself before turning on the shower.



An hour later she was ready to go and she skipped down the stairs in her new heels and an almost completely new outfit. She felt good for the first time in a long time and she was determined to have a good time tonight – Angel be damned. Although, she thought wickedly, she guessed he already was. She giggled to herself and went into the living room, giving a little twirl for her mother and Spike.

“’Bout time,” Spike murmured, but she saw him suppressing a smile and she poked her tongue out at him.

“I wanted to look my best.”

“You look lovely, honey,” her mother said.

“Thanks.”

“Not too bad, Slayer.”

“You’re too kind,” she commented sarcastically and he grinned, getting to his feet.

“Right, shall we get this show on the road?”

He held out his arm and with a smile, she laced her arm through his.

“Back before one.”

“Yes, Mom.”

“And have a good time.”

“We will,” she replied with a wide smile, guiding Spike towards the door.

“And make sure she behaves herself, Spike.”

“Hey!” she protested as the vampire chuckled and her mother smiled brightly.

“Will do, Joyce.”

“You’re so mean to me,” she grumbled, giving her mother an absentminded wave as they left the house.

“You love it.”

“Humph,” she moaned, but was unable to stop a smile from crossing her face.



As always, the Bronze was packed when they got there and they squeezed through the throng carefully, searching for her friends among the crowd.

“There they are!” she shouted over the music, grabbing Spike’s hand and pulling him behind her as she elbowed her way past several couples making out. Willow and Oz had secured a table and she reached it with a sigh of relief.

“It’s crazy in here!” she called.

“There’s quite a few college people in tonight,” Willow replied, greeting her with a wide smile. Oz gave them both a curt nod and they settled onto two stools opposite the couple.

“Where’s Xander and Queen C?” Buffy asked.

“Bar.”

“Tempting,” she murmured, looking over towards the crowded bar, “But not that tempting.”

“I’ll go,” Spike offered, getting to his feet, “What do you want?”

“Oh! Thanks. Erm, just a soda for me, I guess.”

“Too right,” he teased, smiling, “Or your mum’ll have my guts for garters.”

She laughed and he disappeared into the crowd. She scooted closer to Willow and gave her a hug in greeting.

“How are you doing?” Willow asked, a worried look crossing her face, “You look better.”

“Yeah, I’m okay. I haven’t heard anything from Angel in days.”

“You don’t think he’s gone?”

“No. He said he’d come tell me and, well, I don’t think he was lying.”

Thankfully, she was distracted from that thought by the return of Xander and Cordelia and she greeted them both warmly.



Dancing later among the crowd of people, she felt better than ever, moving her body to the beat of the music. She smiled widely at Willow who was dancing with her and let her gaze wander over the crowd. There were quite a few cute guys here and several caught her eye and smiled. It was tempting to find the nearest guy and delete the memory of Angel’s kisses. But she knew deep-down, that she wasn’t ready for that yet.

Her eyes darted to the table they had left and she smiled when she spotted Spike and Oz sat at the table, in companionable silence by the looks of it. She had been surprised by her friends’ seemingly easy acceptance of Spike but it seemed anyone who was good enough to be her friend was good enough for them. She was just glad to see him out, socialising with people that weren’t her and her mother. She feared that, after all he had experienced, days spent cooped up with only her and her mother for company must be ultimately boring for someone who had met hundreds of new, exciting people. He never complained though – but then, how could he with the way her mother doted on him as if he were her own son. She smiled and turned to Willow.

“I’m going to go sit down for a bit. You want me to send Oz over?”

“Sure.”

She pushed her way back to the table and sat down, smiling once again at the two quiet men.

“Willow wants some company,” she remarked with a smile and with his own smile, Oz nodded and slid from his stool, making his way over to his girlfriend.



She shifted closer and nudged Spike with her shoulder.

“How you doing?”

“I’m fine, love. Don’t you worry ‘bout me.”

“You having fun at least?” she asked with a smile, nudging him again.

“Need a few more drinks before it can be fun,” he murmured, looking at his half-empty glass.

She laughed and snatched the glass away from him, holding it up and sniffing it.

“What are you drinking anyway? It smells horrible.”

“Whiskey,” he replied, watching her with an amused smile.

“Can I try some?”

“You trying to get your mum to kill me?” he retorted, cocking an eyebrow.

“Come on, I won’t tell her if you don’t.”

He laughed and shook his head.

“Go on then. Don’t blame me if you don’t like it.”

She regarded the brown liquid for a long moment before raising the glass to her lips and downing what was left. Instantly, she coughed as the liquid seared a path down her throat.

“Err, that’s horrible.”

Spike laughed and took the glass from her, slapping her lightly on the back as she continued to cough.

“Lightweight.”

She made a disgusted sound again, wrinkling up her nose.

“Is all alcohol as nasty as that?”

“It’s just strong,” he explained, “Expensive too. You owe me a drink.”

She rolled her eyes but smiled widely and nodded to the bar.

“Come on then, grumpy.”

He scowled at her but got to his feet and followed her to the bar.



“You know,” she started as they waited at the bar, sending him a coy smile, “If you get me a proper drink, I’ll love you forever.”

He raised an eyebrow and looked down at her suspiciously.

“And what you trying to get drunk for then?” he asked pointedly, his gaze softening into concern, “Doesn’t help, you know.”

“I’m not going to get drunk,” she protested, “I just want to relax and have a good time.”

He was silent, obviously mulling it over and she placed her hand on his arm, giving him her best pleading smile.

“Go on. Please. Just a small one.”

She could see him faltering – who knew Spike was such a softie? – and she turned on the puppy dog eyes, pleading him silently. He finally gave a sigh and rolled his eyes.

“Your mum finds out, it’s all your fault, okay?”

She smiled widely, bouncing slightly with excitement, and turned back to the bar.

“Now, what can I have that’s yummy?”

Spike rolled his eyes but smiled down at her affectionately as he finally got the barman’s attention and ordered their drinks.