She felt grown-up, sophisticated, with the secret supply of something-and-coke that Spike had been sending her way. It hadn’t been hard to convince him into buying her another one after the first. She was on her third now and despite a little giddiness, she just felt… happy. She wanted to dance the night away, she wanted to-

“Hi.”

She was snapped out of her daze by the low voice and she looked up quickly, finding herself face-to-face with a guy with dark hair, warm eyes and the cutest smile she had seen all night.

“Hi,” she answered.

“I’m Todd,” he announced, “I haven’t seen you in here before…”

“Buffy,” she supplied with a smile, “I haven’t been in for a while. You from Sunnydale?”

“No. Just staying with my cousin.”

She nodded and smiled warmly as he glanced back towards a group of college guys and then turned to her again.

“So, how about I get you a drink?”

“I’d like that,” she murmured with a coy smile and she followed him to the bar.



Todd, it turned out, was a law student and avid lacrosse player. And he was very cute too, she thought to herself as they danced together later. Gentlemanly, too, which never hurt. They danced close together, his arm wrapped loosely around her waist. Todd leant forward and she breathed in the scent of his musky cologne as he bent his mouth to her ear.

“You must be the prettiest girl in here.”

She giggled and he pulled back, giving her a hungry look.

“Why don’t we-“

“There you are!”

She could barely catch up with what was happening: one minute she was dancing with Todd, the next she was being steered away from him at a surprisingly quick pace. She just managed to give him a wave and came to an abrupt halt a few steps later.

“Spike, what are you doing?”

“It’s time you got home.”

“But I was having fun.”

“Yeah, I noticed.”

Even though she argued with him, and was pouting like a spoilt child, she didn’t stop him when he guided her through the crowds and towards the door.

“Do we have to go home?” she whined.

“Unless you want to be in trouble, yeah.”

She pouted but let him lead her out into the dark street.



“This is where I first met you,” she pointed out cheerfully as he finally released her and shrugged his shirt back into place.

“So it is,” he answered with a smile.

“You thought you were so big and bad.”

“I am big and bad,” he replied with a cocked eyebrow and she couldn’t help but giggle.

“Okay, if you say so,” she say in a sing-song voice, grabbing his arm and dragging him into step beside her.

“Slayer, you drunk?”

“Of course not!” she protested somewhat loudly, “I’m just… tipsy. It feels good.”

Just as she spoke, she stumbled and he quickly reached out and grabbed her around the waist, steadying her.

“Okay, Miss Tipsy. Definitely time you were tucked up in bed.”

“Bed is good.”

“You better pray you don’t have a hangover tomorrow.”

“But I’m not drunk!” she protested, hiccupping a moment later.

“Whatever you say, love,” he murmured, smiling warmly as he tightened his grip around her waist and set her in motion again.



They were about halfway home when the dizziness started to set in, but she didn’t let on to Spike, only holding onto him tighter to steady herself. She closed her eyes but that just made it worse so she opened them again.

“Thank you for tonight,” she spoke up, hoping to distract herself.

“Thanks for inviting me, pet.”

“It’s not like I’d leave my best, best… vampire… at home,” she got out, frowning as she struggled to get the words out.

“Thanks, love.”

She smiled widely, head falling back as she looked up at him. Dizziness hit again though and she righted herself.

“I don’t think I should have got you those drinks,” Spike murmured, watching her with amusement.

“Sure you did have to. They were yummy,” she slurred, “It was fun being all grown-up.”

He chuckled lowly and shook his head as they moved on.

“I totally think it made me more sophisticated,” she commented, nodding, “Todd thought so too.”

“Was that Whitebread’s name?” Spike scoffed, “Figures. Yeah, he thought something alright.”

Hardly listening to him, she carried on.

“He was a bit of a meathead, wasn’t he?” she remarked with a giggle.

“Just a bit.”

“Well, it was fun. At least it’s nice to know someone still wants me.”



With that thought, her cheer was gone, replaced with depression.

“Come on, love,” Spike coaxed, “Let’s get you home before your mum sends out a search party.”

She sighed but tightened her grip on him, leaning against him more as they made their way back through town.

“You know, you’re a much better kisser than Angel,” she blurted out after a moment’s silence.

“What?!”

He came to a momentary standstill but she barely noticed it, suddenly frowning.

“Hmm… or maybe I just dreamt that.”

She shrugged, missing the look he gave her as he caught her around the waist again.

“I’m sure you are though,” she said firmly, “Angel’s just a… a…”

“Ponce?”

“Yeah, he’s totally a ponce…. What’s a ponce?”

He laughed and shook his head, finally conducting her up the front steps of her house and guiding her through the front door. She was already heading for the stairs on her own accord but he caught her, guiding her instead into the kitchen. He forced her to sit and she struggled to focus bleary eyes on him.



“Here,” he said, holding a glass of water out to her a moment later.

“I’m not thirsty.”

“Probably not… but this might help you feel better in the morning.”

She frowned but when he pushed the glass into her hand, she took it and took a few small sips.

“Drink it all,” he ordered softly and she scrunched her nose up at him before downing the rest in one long gulp. She wiped her mouth and held the glass out to him pointedly as he smiled.

“Didn’t mean all in one go, but suit yourself.”

“Can I go to bed now?”

“Come on then,” he said, helping her to her feet and following her, turning off the lights behind him. She climbed the stairs slowly – her head spinning – and went into her bedroom, her eyes glad for the darkness. She sat down on her bed and slipped her jacket off tiredly before bending to undo the straps of her heels. She struggled with them for several minutes before Spike came and knelt beside her, undoing them in quick movements.

“Thanks,” she whispered with a wry smile, righting herself – and being overcome with a dizziness that had her reaching out for the nearest thing to hold onto: him. She gripped his arm tightly and she saw him frown with concern.

“You alright, love?”

“Just a bit dizzy,” she explained, holding one hand to her head.

“Okay, come on, lie down,” he coaxed softly, guiding her to lie out on the bed as he sat on the edge.



“Better?” he asked quietly and just for a moment, she saw a flash of kisses behind her eyes.

“Hmm? Yeah, a little bit.”

“You gonna be able to sleep okay?” he queried, one hand brushing her hair back from her face.

“Hopefully.”

He smiled and leant forward to press a kiss to her cheek.

“Night, love.”

She caught him just before he pulled back, wrapping both arms around him and burying her head against his shoulder. After a few seconds, she felt him wrap one arm around her hesitantly and she squeezed him tightly, breathing in his unique scent.

“You smell good,” she murmured, her voice muffled by his shoulder.

He chuckled and pulled back, squeezing her shoulder gently.

“Night, Buffy.”

“Night, Spike,” she answered sleepily, eyes already fluttering shut.

He crept silently out of her room, shutting the door behind him and she closed her eyes with a smile, sleep beckoning to her.