She wasn’t sure where the time went but the days just seemed to fly by. It was already over a week since she had said her goodbyes to Angel and the pain was starting to fade. She was relaxing again, letting herself enjoy everything she had: her friends, her family, even her calling. On occasion she would find herself thinking about Angel, about where he might be. There were even moments when she regretted not asking him where he was going. But then she would force the thought of him aside, or someone or something would distract her and she would be her old self again: that young girl who trusted, who loved easily, who was devoted to her friends, who embraced her duty and, most importantly, was happy. She had missed her through the long days of her misery.

Now, she was starting afresh. And if there was one person around her who knew about starting afresh, it was Spike. After his near breakdown of the previous week, she had been worried about him but had quickly come to see the change in him. Where before he had been confused, he now threw himself into the role of demon-fighter, revelling in the fight and even in the saving. He had surprised her really, with his sudden enthusiasm – had surprised all of them. She had thought it a ruse at first, an illusion to hide what he was really feeling, but the longer it continued, the more she realised that this was for real: this was the Spike he wanted to be.




“You had way too much fun back there,” she commented with a laugh as they left the graveyard.

“Come on, Slayer, you had fun too, don’t lie to me.”

She rolled her eyes, but couldn’t help but smile at him.

“What’s next?” he asked eagerly and she laughed out loud, “What?”

“Calm down.”

“The night’s only just beginning,” he remarked, bouncing on his toes.

“And that’s probably going to be all the action we get. It’s summer and trust me, summer is dead time.”

He scoffed, shoving his hands in his pockets and… was he actually pouting?

“Lame.”

She raised an eyebrow at the unusual Americanism and he gave her a sheepish smile.

“Fine, bloody stupid.”

She smiled and shook her head, tuning into her surroundings. Spike suddenly hooked an arm around hers and forced her into a quicker pace.

“Come on, Slayer, let’s find some action.”

“Spike, you’re crazy.”

“Been there, done that,” he answered absentmindedly, bright eyes scanning the night. She drew him forcefully to a stop and smiled when he frowned at her.

“I’ve got a better idea.”

“What’s that then?” he asked huskily, cocking an eyebrow, and she couldn’t hide the blush it brought to her cheeks.

“I’m thinking… night off… some Bronze… maybe a movie,” she replied.

“Lame,” he murmured under his breath and she punched him on the arm, causing him to smile.

“Oh come on then,” he sighed and with a delighted squeal, she looped her arm through his and turned him in the direction of the Bronze.



The Bronze was unfortunately dead – and not even in the kind of way that would have made Spike’s evening – and after a few bored minutes, they left, without even stopping for a drink.

“Man, when did the Bronze get boring?”

“What do you mean ‘get’?” Spike scoffed, pulling out a cigarette and balancing it between his lips as he searched out his lighter.

“Fair point. But it’s the only decent place in Sunnydale.”

“Well, actually, there’s a few good demon bars… don’t reckon you’d be too welcome there though, love.”

“Well neither would you now,” she pointed out and saw him frown.

“Never gonna get to play a decent game of poker again.”

“Aww, poor Big Bad,” she teased, smiling widely, “Are the other demons not playing nice with you?”

He narrowed his eyes at her and let out a warning growl that just made her smile grow.

“Warning you, Slayer.”

“Oh, I’m so afraid.”

“Ah, you forget though, Slayer… I know your weakness,” he drawled, stopping and turning to face her.

“Oh yeah, and what’s that?” she retorted, hands on hips.

Instead of answering, his hands dived out and his fingers dug in just below her ribs, causing her to squeal in a definitely un-Slayer-like manner.

“Spike! No!”



She managed to break free of him and with a little laugh, dodged out of his way, retreating to a safe distance.

“That’s cheating!”

“All’s fair in love and war,” he answered, eyes shining as he smirked.

“Hmphh,” she sulked, crossing her arms across her chest and keeping at least a metre between them as he fell into step beside her again.

“You’re a poor loser.”

“Am not!”

He just laughed and reached out to loop one arm around her shoulders, pulling her close.

“Stop sulking and I’ll let you choose what film we watch.”

She tilted her head to meet his gaze, considered for a moment, and then smiled widely. He laughed and propelled her into motion again.

“Come on then, let’s get home so you can torture me with some awful girly film.”

She laughed lightly and linked her arm around him, grinning at him as he tried to pretend to be annoyed and failed miserably.



Once she had perhaps all of the cushions from her bed and a throw and everything to make her more than comfortable, she turned to the DVD collection, skimming over them, her tongue just peeking out of the corner of her mouth as she ran her finger down the pile.

Nope; Too long; Not happy enough; Too much Sandra Bullock.

Finally, she came to a DVD she hadn’t watched in months and she paused. Yeah, it was brilliant and yeah, she’d definitely be crying by the end. Or hell, even by the beginning… but it had to be done. She turned and held it aloft, waving it at a nonchalant Spike. He was slouched on the sofa, already looking more than comfortable, a bottle of beer in one hand. He tilted his head to get a better look at the cover and then his eyes went wide, a look of panic crossing his face.

“Na-uh. No way, Slayer.”

“You said I could choose.”

“I’m not watching that,” he protested, but something in the way he spoke had her second-guessing, wondering just why he was so fervently against watching this particular film.

“Please,” she pleaded, giving him full-on puppy-dog eyes.

“Slayer,” he growled.

“Pleeeease.”

“Buffy,” he pleaded back, his expression softening into desperation.

“Please?” she whispered and he sank his head back against the cushions, closing his eyes.

“Kill me now.”



With a wide smile, she slipped the DVD into the player and quickly threw herself into the spot next to Spike, arranging cushions to make herself perfectly comfortable. And then the film was starting and she couldn’t help herself. As soon as she heard that music, she was off, biting her lip to fight back the sobs that were threatening to overwhelm her.

“He just… he loves her so much,” she choked out, eyes fixed on the screen.

“Yeah,” Spike replied, his voice unusually gruff.

She glanced at him and then did a double-take.

“Spike,” she murmured, trying not to smile.

He turned to look at her and quickly looked away again, wiping his sleeve not so discreetly over his eyes.

“What? I’m fine. Watch the film.”

“Spike,” she repeated again, unable to stop her smile, “Are you crying?”

He looked absolutely offended by the idea and scoffed at her.

“Of course I’m bloody not!” he answered, clearing his throat and sniffing, “Must be getting ill.”

“You’re a vampire, you don’t get ill.”

“It’s just the light. Shut up and watch the film,” he got out testily, but there was no real venom in his voice.

She smiled and scooted over, moving to lay her head against his shoulder.

“It’s okay. This film gets everyone going.”

“Don’t know what you’re talking about,” he sniffed, his voice muffled in her hair.

“You know you’re a really bad liar.”

“Shut up,” he murmured.



By the end of the film, she had tears streaking down her cheeks and onto Spike’s shirt.

“I swear the music just makes it worse,” she choked out.

“Mm-huh,” he murmured in reply, clearing his throat again and making several suspicious noises behind her head. She sat up and smiled affectionately as he dabbed a hand to his eye.

“I had something in my eye,” he got out defensively.

“Sure ya did.”

He scowled at her but she just smiled triumphantly.

“But tell me ‘Love Story’ isn’t the best film in the world?!”

He shook his head, wiping his sleeve against his eyes again.

“You tell anyone, you’re dead, Slayer.”

She just smiled and reached out to brush a hand over his cheek, wiping away the moisture.

“You’re such a big softie,” she teased quietly.

He scowled and half-heartedly pushed her away but with a smile, she returned to her position curled up beside him.

She smiled and reached out to wipe his cheek again, surprised when he closed his eyes with her touch, completely relaxed. He was such a tactile person, she mused, studying his face even as he wrapped his hand around hers, eyes still closed. She indulged in a few more brushes over his cheek, surprised by just how soft his skin was. His eyes opened lazily and met hers – and they both froze.



She hadn’t realised just how intimate this position was until that precise moment and she could practically feel the blood rushing to her cheeks. She could feel his hand, cool in hers; could feel his breath against her face; could feel a burning at every point where their bodies were touching. She inhaled sharply and she saw his eyes darken, darting to her lips. Suddenly dry, she wet them, eyes locked on his, trapped in this crazy moment. He tilted his head, moving a fraction closer – and then in the next moment, he was gone, jumping to his feet in a blur.

“I’m just gonna go to the bathroom,” he hurried out and before she could make any sort of reply, he was gone and she was watching the door with wide eyes, wondering what on earth had just happened here. Something huge, that’s for sure. She knew she wasn’t imagining it – they had been seconds away from kissing. And she wasn’t sure how she felt about that. She wasn’t entirely sure how it had come to that either. One minute, they had been laughing and joking and then… that electrifying moment that still had her heart racing. Sure, a lot of their interaction lately had bordered on flirtatious but it wasn’t a conscious action. At least she didn’t think it was. Spike had become one of her best friends and, yeah, he was hot but that didn’t mean… well, this was just crazy.

Long minutes later, she heard his footsteps on the stairs and she sat up quickly, turning her eyes to the door. He paused in the doorway, eyes meeting hers nervously and she quickly broke the silence.

“Wanna watch something else?” she got out, forcing cheerfulness to cover her confusion.

“Yeah, alright,” he murmured, returning to his spot beside her – but leaving far more space between them than there had been before.

“Something to make you feel manly again?” she teased, hoping to brush over this weirdness as she got to her feet.

“I’m plenty manly, thanks ever so, love,” he retorted with a smirk and she smiled, shaking her head and kneeling down by the DVDs again. With her back to him, her smile grew, relief spreading through her as they seemed to return to the same sort of playfulness they had shared up until that weird moment.