In the end, Spike bowed out of Bronzing the next night and she didn’t know whether to be relieved or disappointed. She had one of her favourite outfits planned and everything – although, judging by the way he looked at her when she came to say her goodbyes to him and her mother, it was probably a good thing they weren’t going to be spending the evening together. It was hard enough staying on her side of the room as it was, and with him looking at her with sinfully dark eyes it suddenly became a painful endeavour.

She forced herself out of the house quickly and closed her eyes, taking a deep breath to calm her racing heart before she set off for the Bronze. She was determined to enjoy herself, even if she did start to wish Spike had come with her as she got closer to the club. She could have fun without him though – after all, Bronzing was what her and her friends did best. It seemed like forever since she had been at the Bronze with them – and tonight was extra special because the Dingoes were playing and they had important groupie duties to do. She could totally spend a night without Spike.



She missed Spike and it was absolutely ridiculous. It had been less than an hour but if she had to see Xander and Cordelia kissing or Willow swooning over Oz any more, she was going to combust. She was feeling distinctly like the fifth wheel and it was no fun at all. At least she would have someone to talk to if Spike had come.

Instead, she was stuck at the table with her friends, staring into space as they enjoyed themselves around her. It was too much to bear and she got up from the table, not bothering to make her excuses – no-one was paying her any attention anyway. She was halfway to the door when she collided with someone and she looked up quickly.

“I’m sorry, I-“

“Hey! Buffy, right?”

She smiled slightly and nodded - she had only collided with that college guy, Todd.

“Todd, yeah?”

“Yeah.”

There was a moment’s pause but then he smiled.

“You weren’t leaving?”

“Was thinking about it,” she answered with a shrug.

“Now that’d be a shame. Let me at least get you one drink.”

She hesitated for a moment but her slightly-dented ego couldn’t help but enjoy the attention.

“Sure,” she finally said, smiling as he took her hand with a grin and began to weave his way through the crowd, drawing her with him.



“So, that’s what college is really like?” she asked with a flirtatious smile, “Pulling pranks? It’s looking a lot more interesting.”

He laughed and she smiled widely, genuinely enjoying talking to him.

“You have to know when to let yourself go a bit,” he said with a smile, “Work hard, play hard, you know.”

“I’m more of the work a bit, play a bit more kinda gal,” she remarked and he laughed again.

“Wouldn’t want to stretch yourself,” he teased, leaning against the bar beside them.

“No, sirree.”

He smiled warmly and she smiled back, taking a sip of her drink.

“You wanna dance?” Todd asked as a faster song started up.

“Definitely,” she replied, placing her hand in his outstretched one and letting him lead her onto the dancefloor. For a guy, he was a reasonably good dancer and they moved together, his hands just resting on her waist. She closed her eyes and raised her arms, losing herself in the music, a small smile playing about her lips.

“You look like you’re enjoying yourself,” Todd murmured, his mouth close to her ear.

She opened her eyes and smiled coyly, looking up at him from under her eyelashes as she draped her arms over his shoulders.

“I am.”

“Well, that’s good,” he answered, moving a step closer, “I really hope your brother doesn’t interrupt again.”

“My- Oh, he’s not my brother,” she explained, continuing quickly at his suspicious look, “He’s just a friend. Gets a bit over-protective sometimes.”

“Do you need protecting, Buffy?” he asked huskily, moving closer.

“Not right now,” she murmured back, her eyes drifting to his lips.



His kiss came as a surprise but she relaxed into it after a few seconds, tightening her arms around his neck. This was what seventeen-year-old girls were supposed to do, wasn’t it? He pulled back though and smiled uncertainly.

“I hope that was okay.”

“Definitely okay,” she replied, wondering when her inner coquette had decided to come out and play. But God damn it, she was fed up and she was lonely and a few kisses with a cute guy was nothing to be ashamed of. So he wasn’t the guy she wanted to be kissing – that was life. Spike wanted her to find someone ‘real’… well, here was someone very ‘real’.

A voice told her to stop before she did something she regretted, but she ignored it and drew Todd towards her again, kissing him. He wrapped his arms around her tighter, drawing her against him, one hand settling on her lower back. And it felt good – it felt good to be held and kissed and know that it wasn’t going to bring about the end of the world. They broke apart to catch their breaths and he smiled warmly, running a hand down her back.

“You know, you’re a pretty amazing girl, Buffy Summers.”

She smiled, warmed by the compliment, and leant forward to kiss him again, winding her arms around him. She was young and she was going to enjoy her youth, instead of sitting around waiting for spinsterhood to set in, damn it. She deepened their kiss and he returned it eagerly, holding her tight against him. He pulled back again, breathing heavily, eyes dark with desire as they looked down at her.

“My car’s just outside… if you want…”

She hesitated for a split second but then she gave him a shy smile and placed her hand in his. He stared at her for a long moment, eyes dark and hungry, and then he turned, guiding her out of the club.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


It was late, or maybe it was early, when she got home, opening the door and sneaking in quietly. Her stomach was queasy as she shut the door behind her, resting her head against it for a moment.

“Buffy?”

Her whole body tensed up at Spike’s quiet voice and it took a few seconds for her to gain the courage to turn to him, still resting against the door.

“Good night?” he asked lowly, every line in his body speaking his worry, even if he wouldn’t.

“Great,” she answered dismissively, “Bed-time now.”

She smiled and moved for the stairs but he moved forward as well, bringing her to a halt in his steps.

“I just wanted-“

He stopped dead, eyes widening and nostrils flaring and her stomach sunk. The one person she really didn’t want knowing about this – and she had forgotten about his vampire sense of smell. He was agonisingly silent, eyes flying over her, unbelieving, and all she could do was stand there, hating herself as he visibly struggled with himself.

“What have you done?” he finally whispered, every word tinged with pain, shock, horror.

Feeling like so much trash already, she took a deep breath and averted her eyes, going on the defensive.

“It’s none of your business,” she got out, her voice nowhere near as confident as she would have liked.



She heard him move and then he was right in front of her, one hand gripping her arm almost painfully tight.

“Buffy,” he repeated through gritted teeth, shaking her slightly, “Look at me.”

She forced her eyes to his, trying hard to maintain a blank expression. She saw him soften and worried eyes flicked over her.

“Did he hurt you?” he murmured.

“No, he didn’t hurt me!” she exclaimed, fighting to keep her voice low, shaking his hand off, “I’m fine.”

She was close to breaking but she would not let him see what she had done, how stupid she had been. She saw him clench his jaw and his eyes turned cold as he cut off his emotions.

“Well, that’s alright then, isn’t it? I hope you had a lovely evening.”

He paused, taking a deep breath, his anger visibly close to the surface.

“And I hope you were careful,” he bit out.

She reacted before she could even think, her hand flashing out and slapping him across the cheek. She regretted it the same moment but she saw his jaw clench again, steeling himself.

“He gonna come back for seconds, Buffy? Or did you scare another one off?”

His words, an attempt to make her hurt because she had so obviously hurt him, hit their mark. She faltered for a moment and he saw it, eyes flooding with regret as he stepped forward and reached for her.

“Buffy…”



“Don’t,” she snapped, closer to tears than she wanted him to know, “Leave me alone.”

He forced himself to a halt but she saw his eyes studying every line of her face and she looked away quickly.

“What have you done?” he said again, horrified.

“I made a mistake, okay!” she shouted helplessly, dropping to the stairs and burying her head in her hands.

They both heard the sound of the door a moment later and she tensed, keeping her head bowed as she listened to the sound of her mother’s footsteps moving along the corridor and stopping at the head of the stairs.

“Buffy? Spike?” she called out worriedly, “What’s going on?”

She raised her head slowly to meet Spike’s gaze and she sighed.

“Its nothing, Mom. I just… I got into a fight with Willow,” she lied.

“Oh. Well, I’m sure you’ll work things out in the morning. Now, I think it’s time to go to bed.”

She turned and gave her a mother a weak smile as she nodded.

“I know.”

Her mother looked between them in concern one last time and then nodded and turned, heading back into her bedroom.



The silence lasted minutes longer until she finally pushed herself to her feet.

“Buffy,” Spike said softly, taking a step towards her, one hand hovering near her arm.

She raised her eyes to his and bit her lip, forcing the tears back.

“I’m going to bed,” she whispered, her voice shaking.

“Buffy, please.”

“I-I can’t do this now, Spike. Not now,” she murmured, eyes pleading him to just leave her be. He finally conceded, taking a step back, his hand falling to his side. She gave him a wobbly smile and turned, making her way up the stairs and slipping into her darkened room.

Without changing, she curled up on her bed, biting her lip so hard it bled as she fought against the tears that were so close to breaking out. She heard Spike climb the stairs and held her breath as he paused at the top, but a moment later she heard his door close behind him and she let out the breath, her whole body trembling. She turned and buried her head in her pillow, finally letting the tears flow.