It was Friday already, five days since their near escape with Xander and Willow and they had both been more on edge since then, alert to any possibility of being caught. Spending the day in Spike’s arms used to be a relaxing time for her, but now it was fraught with tension, and nothing they could do could take it away. It seemed nearly being caught had made them even more aware of just how risky this was.

She hated the way it plagued their time together though, hated the way she could see Spike listening just as intently as she when there was any sort of noise from outside. When she caught him – and herself - doing it for the fifth time, she got annoyed.

“This is ridiculous!” she exclaimed, startling him with her outburst and the fact that she grabbed his arm.

“Buffy?”

She pushed herself up onto her elbow and brought her lips to his, kissing him hungrily, hoping to distract them both. He stiffened in surprise for just a second before he let out a half-growl and tugged her against him, one hand at the back of her neck as he kissed her back sensuously.

She let herself relax into his embrace, let him work his very own magic that quickly had her forgetting about anything but the taste of him, the feel of his hard body under hers. She parted from him a long time later, gasping for breath as he tilted her chin back, his mouth playing over her neck. She could feel him forcing himself to calm down, his kisses turning soft, grazing.

“What was that about?” he murmured against her neck as she sagged against him, closing her eyes with a hum of pleasure as his lips moved over her skin.

“Tired of being afraid,” she answered absently, moaning lowly at his caresses, “Tired of worrying.”

He pulled back, cradling her face in his hands as he looked at her, smiling slightly.

“I know, love.”



She forced herself to relax and he followed her example. They stopped listening out for potential danger and muscles began to relax. She curled up against him and let herself enjoy the feel of his hand brushing over the small of her back.

“Spike… things are going to be okay, aren’t they?”

“Yeah,” he answered lowly, pressing a kiss to her forehead, “Not gonna let anyone take you away from me.”

She smiled and curled up against him even more, eyes closing lazily as she rested her head in the curve of his shoulder, breathing in the smoky, musky scent of Spike.

“You smell good,” she murmured sleepily and he chuckled.

“Déjà vu.”

“Huh?” she asked, frowning in confusion.

“You don’t remember?”

“Remember what?”

He chuckled again and she raised her head, confused as he smiled at her warmly.

“A certain someone here got a bit drunk… said quite a few interesting things, as it happens.”

She was starting to understand now and she blushed helplessly as he laughed and continued.

“Something about how I was a better kisser than the poof in your dreams… and that I smelt good.”

“I don’t remember that,” she admitted with a grimace.

“Lightweight,” he teased, “Was right amusing though.”

She blushed and buried her head against him as he chuckled and pulled her close, rubbing his hands over her arms.



For the first time that week, they fell asleep together, wrapped up in each other’s arms. What they didn’t remember though was that Joyce was finishing work early that day.

“Buffy Anne Summers!”

The voice cut through her pleasant dream and she started awake.

“Is it time for school?” she murmured lazily, turning her gaze to her mother.

A second later, she realised exactly where she was and she bolted up, waking Spike with her sudden movement. Wide eyes flew between the bewildered vampire and her shocked mother and she stalled, heart hammering in her chest. Joyce looked between them several times, her expression unreadable, and then she turned her attention to Buffy.

“I want you both downstairs in five minutes with an explanation.”

Without another word, she left the room, leaving them in stunned silence. She turned to Spike, biting her lip as he sat up, running a hand through his hair nervously. He glanced at her and his expression softened, one hand stroking her arm.

“Calm down,” he whispered, pressing his hand against her collarbone, “Your heart’s gonna burst.”

“Spike, she… God, what are we going to tell her?!” she asked in a panic.

He paused for a moment, twisting her hair absently between his fingers before meeting her worried gaze with a calm one.

“The truth.”



She couldn’t get her heart rate to slow down as she descended the stairs with Spike close behind, a hand just at her back. Her throat suddenly felt very dry and she could feel the sweat beading on her palms. Her mother was waiting in the kitchen, leaning against the counter, staring into space. She quickly turned to them as they came in though and Buffy had to avert her eyes, unable to meet her mother’s gaze.

They moved to sit opposite her mother on the other side of the counter and her heart just kept pounding away, as if she were about to undergo interrogation. But then, knowing her mother, it was always possible. Spike slid his hand into hers and she squeezed it tightly, wishing she could have his calm at this point.
She finally raised her eyes warily to her mother but Joyce’s expression was carefully guarded and she had no idea what was going through her mind.

“Now,” Joyce started softly, “I want an explanation of what I just walked in on. I know you’re close… but sharing a bed is another matter altogether.”

Her voice got stuck in her throat and she looked to Spike for help. He held her gaze for a long moment and then turned to her mother, steady as anything.

“I’m in love with your daughter, Joyce.”

Her world froze up for a moment and all she could do was stare at him, stunned by his words. She realised he was continuing and she forced herself to listen, watching him with wide eyes.

“Haven’t had a chance to tell her that yet,” he added with a wry smile, eyes just flicking to hers, “But I am.”

Joyce turned her gaze on her then but she could say nothing, eyes still fixed on Spike in wonder. He loved her. Was in love with her. It was too much to comprehend – how could he love her? She, who had proven how weak she was, who had hurt him, who could never match what he had with Dru.



“Buffy?” her mother called, snapping her back to reality, “Are you okay?”

She nodded and swallowed hard.

“I’m… I… Me and Spike are together.”

“I did sort of gather that,” her mother answered with a slight smile, gaze flicking to Spike and back again, before she turned serious.

“I have to admit, I saw this coming. And I’m happy for you, both of you.”

Her eyes went wide with surprise at her mother’s admission. Joyce then turned to Spike, her expression softening.

“There is one thing though. You know how much I care about you, Spike, but I… well, I’m afraid I can’t have you living under my roof if you and Buffy are… involved.”

“I understand,” he replied with a short nod, “I’ll start looking for somewhere to stay.”

Joyce nodded and then broke into a warm smile, directed at the two of them.

“Even though I worry… I’m glad you have each other,” she said genuinely, “You’ve both been happier lately and I guess now I know why.”

“You mean, no lecture?” Buffy spoke up.

“No, no lecture,” her mother replied with a soft smile, “You’re my daughter and I want you to be happy. And I don’t think you could have found a better man to make you happy.”

She sent a warm smile in Spike’s direction and he smiled back gently.

“No more sneaking around though,” she warned and they both nodded quickly.



She left them with a smile and as soon as she was gone, Spike turned to her with the shyest look she had seen on him in a while. He squeezed her hand in his and she raised wide eyes to his.

“Did you… did you mean it?” she got out.

He nodded and leant forward, cupping her cheek in his hand.

“I love you, Buffy. I think I fell in love with you the minute I realised who it was looking after me.”

Her breath caught at his soft words but she smiled, leaning into his touch. He stroked a thumb over her cheek and she smiled again.

“You realise you’ve just made it about ten times harder to resist you?” she whispered, leaning into him.

He smiled, brushing his lips over hers, teasing her.

“Sorry.”

She smiled too and pressed her lips harder against his, sinking towards him as he kissed her gently. And she was certain she could feel it now: could feel the love he poured into his kiss.