She was just as nervous as Spike when they finally heard from Giles and his shaman friend but when it was confirmed that anchoring the soul to the host was easily done, she felt a rush of pure hope. This could really happen and then… then Spike would be truly hers.

He was nervous though as they made their way over to Giles’ for the spell – not because he had doubts, as he assured her, but simply because he was always hesitant when magic was involved. He explained that a spell gone wrong had once taken away his sight for a week and since then, he had stayed as far away from magic as possible, distrusting it and the people who practised it.

Giles’ shaman friend, however, was nothing but reliable – and surprisingly pleasant, she learned with surprise as they were introduced. He was polite and gave Spike a winning smile as he took his hand.

“All will be well, vampire.”

“Just make sure of it,” Spike answered, “No cock-ups.”

The shaman shook his head and repeated his reassurances, before disappearing into another room to prepare for the spell.

“It’s not going to be painful, is it?” Buffy asked nervously, hand clutched tightly in Spike’s.

“Not at all,” Giles reassured them, smiling warmly and easing some of the fear she felt. It was a fear tinged with such agonising hope that the two seemed the same and when the shaman returned, declaring himself ready, she hugged Spike tightly. He hugged her back just as hard but finally pulled away, brushing a kiss to her hand and rising to his feet, jaw set in determination.

“Let’s do this.”



The spell itself was somewhat of an anti-climax after all the build up: a few chanted words, some incense and a hand on Spike’s chest and the shaman declared himself finished.

“That’s it?!” Buffy burst out in bewilderment.

“The spell is done,” the shaman repeated, “His soul is secure.”

“Are you sure?” she asked, “Maybe you should check it.”

The shaman gave her a small smile and then turned to shake Giles’ hand.

“It was good to see you, Rupert.”

Her Watcher nodded and shook the shaman’s hand – and then he was gone. She turned to Spike and gave him an uncertain look as he held his hand to his chest.

“Do you feel any different?”

“Not really,” he remarked, shaking his head slightly.

Giles laughed at them both and moved to sit on the sofa.

“The spell is done. He is an extremely gifted shaman and this was nothing for him.”

“Is there any way to check?”

At the exact same moment, Spike looked at her as she looked at him and she averted her eyes with a blush. Of course, there was a very good way to check, but now it all seemed real and really quite scary.

“Buffy, the spell was a success. Now go,” Giles commanded with a soft smile, “Go and leave me in peace.”

She regarded her Watcher for a long moment before throwing herself at him and hugging him fiercely.

“Thank you so much,” she whispered.

“Ribs… Buffy.”

“Oh, sorry!” she got out, releasing him with a sheepish smile and stepping back into Spike, her skin prickling as his hand came to rest on the small of her back.



“We should get going. Leave the old man in peace,” Spike teased and Giles gave him a pointed look.

“Old?!”

“Fair point. Still a young’un, Rupes.”

Giles rolled his eyes but smiled, removing his glasses and polishing them swiftly before replacing them.

“Perhaps you may now find the opportunity to tell your friends about what has happened,” Giles suggested.

“You mean, like, tell them tell them?”

“That would be the general idea. I’m sure they would like to know.”

“But what if they’re all judgey and stuff?”

“I very much doubt that,” Giles said with a laugh, “They wish to see you happy just as much as anyone else.”

“Not with a vampire they don’t!” she exclaimed.

“I think you’d be surprised.”

With a frown, she gave in, leaning back into Spike, turning her head to meet his eyes.

“Guess it would be nice not to be sneaking around all the time, huh?”

“Has its benefits,” he replied with a smirk, leaning down to kiss her quickly.

“Please,” Giles protested, “Not in my living room. When I’m in it.”

She forced herself away from Spike and gave her Watcher a wide grin.

“Okay, okay. We’re going.”

They moved to the door, hand-in-hand, but she paused at the door, turning back to Giles.

“Thank you,” she said again, “Really.”

“It was nothing.”

She smiled and with a small tug from Spike, they left the house.



When they reached the street, she gave into her impulse and wrapped an arm around his waist. He smiled down at her and slung his arm over her shoulders.

“Are you happy?” he asked.

“I get to have you,” she whispered shyly, “Of course I’m happy.”

He drew her closer, his nose nuzzling the side of her head.

“Would it be very wrong if I took you to mine right now?”

She laughed and leant into his caress.

“Eager much.”

“You have no idea,” he murmured huskily, turning her to face him, his eyes dark with passion.

“Maybe we should wait,” she got out, unsure where the idea came from.

He raised an eyebrow and she grew nervous under his bright gaze. He drew her close then, looping his arms around her.

“We’ve got all the time in the world now.”

“Not if the Scoobies throw a fit.”

“You’re really worried about what they might say,” he commented softly, surprise colouring his words.

“They’re my friends, Spike. And they… well, let’s just say they weren’t too happy before… with Angel.”

“And you don’t think they might just be convinced to change their ideas about vampires?” he remarked, eyes fixed on hers, “Vampires with souls at least?”

“I guess you did win Giles round,” she said with a smile, leaning into him and wrapping her arms around his waist.

“I’m very charming when I choose to be.”

“Yes, you are,” she replied with a laugh, leaning up to kiss him, feeling more light-hearted than ever.