She woke and let out a moan at the pains shooting through her neck and back. Sleeping on a cold floor, propped against an even colder wall was definitely not a good idea. She opened her eyes lazily and her gaze fell to the sleeping vampire beside her, her hand reaching out and running gently over his tangled hair. He was sleeping peacefully still, his mouth moving silently, curled up into a ball. She noticed then that his hand was still clasping hers and she smiled gently, withdrawing it with a little squeeze.

Much as she hated to leave him, she had a few tasks to do and she hoped to get them done and return before he woke up. A look at the curtained window told her that it was almost night and she was glad there could be no repeat of this morning’s stunt. She got to her feet carefully, trying her best not to disturb the vampire and crept out of the dark room. Just as she was shutting the door behind her, a figure appeared from the shadows, making her jump.

“Geez, Angel! You really need to get a bell.”

He gave her a sad half smile and she returned her own wry one as she smoothed down her hair and clothes, rolling her neck to try and work out the ache.

“Please tell me this place has a bathroom,” she murmured, raising her eyes to the silent vampire.

“It’s just along the hall there.”

“Great. I’m just going to freshen up but then I really need to talk to you. Meet you downstairs?”

“Sure,” he answered softly, turning and making his way along the corridor. She could see by his bowed head that something was bothering him but decided to leave finding out what it was until after she’d had a wash.



She cleaned her face and neck with an old cloth she found in the bathroom and, not feeling much more refreshed, made her way downstairs. She found Angel in the large front room once more, sitting in the dark, lost in thought. He looked up when she came in though and smiled sadly. She moved a chair and sat beside him, somehow needing the reassurance of his closeness. She took his hand, wrapping her fingers around his as she gave him a shy smile.

“Are you okay?” he asked, “You still look tired.”

“I didn’t sleep too well,” she explained, “Spike kept having nightmares.”

He nodded and looked away.

“That’s something that never really stops,” he murmured and she squeezed his hand. She had almost forgotten about him, about what he might be suffering with his soul restored – too caught up in Spike’s more obvious torment.

“What about suicide attempts?” she quipped and his eyes flew to hers in shock.

“He…”

“Tried to get himself a suntan earlier,” she murmured, making light of it even though the memory made her shudder. Angel frowned and looked to the floor, his grip tightening on her hand ever so slightly. She squeezed his hand back and couldn’t help noticing how different his hand felt from Spike’s – colder, somehow, and so much larger, bulkier. Shaking that thought away, she sighed, running a hand through her dirty hair.

“I don’t know what to do,” she whispered helplessly.

Angel turned to her and reached out to pull her into his embrace, folding his arms around her.

“I don’t know how to make things better.”



He was silent for a long moment, holding her close, his hand running over her arm.

“It takes time, Buffy,” he murmured eventually, his hand tracing over her hair, “He’ll get better. But it won’t happen overnight.”

“I know. It’s just… he’s in so much pain…”

They sat in silence for a moment and she buried her head against him, seeking comfort in his embrace. She remembered then her other tasks and she spoke up quietly.

“I don’t suppose you have any bandages or anything I can put on his hands? They’re badly burnt.”

“I’ll find something.”

She nodded and let herself relax against him, closing her eyes and relishing the feel of his strong arms around her.

“Buffy, I…” he trailed off and she frowned, sensing that whatever he was about to say had something to do with his mood.

“What is it?” she asked softly, sitting up and meeting his eyes, “Are you okay?”

“I- I’m fine. But I…” he trailed off, looked around the room and then turned his attention back to her, “I don’t think I can stay here.”

“Oh.”

“I’ll still help you, with Spike… but I… there’s too much bad history here. I need to get away from it.”

“I- I understand,” she whispered, reaching out to touch his face, “I really do.”

He gave her a wry smile and pressed her hand to his cheek.

“Where will you go?”

“I’ll find somewhere.”

“But you’ll stay close?”

“Of course,” he answered after a moment’s hesitation.



After Angel had ripped up some bed linen to serve as makeshift bandages, they headed to Spike’s room together.

“Angel, why do you think he doesn’t like being called Spike?” she asked curiously, turning to the vampire at her side as they ascended the stairs. He was silent for a moment and then fixed those dark eyes on her.

“I guess the name Spike doesn’t exactly have good memories for him. He got that name from killing and maiming…”

“So William’s, like, safe?”

“I guess so. Definitely less painful than Spike.”

She was silent, pensive, as they finished climbing the steps and finally blurted out the question these thoughts brought forth.

“You never asked to be called by your human name,” she whispered and Angel came to a halt, a brief flash of pain crossing his face before he began to move again.

“There aren’t any good memories there for me.”

“But with Spike-“

“Spike and I are very different people,” he interrupted, “Different vampires and even more different humans.”

She frowned in confusion – after all, she didn’t really know much about either of their lives.

“William was a gentleman,” he murmured, with something like envy.

Before she could question him though, they had reached Spike’s room and she got the feeling he wasn’t going to share anymore.

“Maybe you should stay by the door,” she suggested, “In case he reacts badly to you again.”

Angel nodded and she opened the door, surprised to find Spike awake and halfway alert.



With a glance at Angel, she made her way over to the other vampire and warily lowered herself to the floor beside him. He was unusually silent and was staring in front of him unnervingly.

“Sp- William,” she whispered, catching herself just in time, “I need to fix your hands.”

He made no sign that he understood or was even listening but when she reached for his hand, he jerked away.

“I just want to make them feel better,” she murmured softly, reaching for his hand again.

She caught his wrist in a firm grip before he could pull away again.

“I won’t hurt you,” she whispered soothingly, brushing her free hand over his hair. He slanted a look at her, eyes confused and pained, but she felt him relax ever so slightly. Encouraged, she took one of the makeshift bandages and began to wrap his hand. She knew all he really needed was the vampire healing to set in but if he wasn’t feeding, it was going to take longer and although the bandages didn’t really help, they might stop the burns from getting any worse.

If she had looked up at Angel, she would have seen his eyes burn yellow, his expression tainted with anger and jealousy – but she was so caught up in her task that she didn’t even notice when he left the doorway and disappeared into the darkness. She simply carried on, wrapping Spike’s damaged hands and soothing him with a gentle, wordless murmuring.