It wasn’t her mother that woke her in the end, but the sound of a scream and scrambling next door. In a second, she was on her feet, racing out of the room and throwing the door open to Spike’s. Her mother reached the room only seconds later, but Buffy was too engrossed in the scene before her to acknowledge her.

“Angel, what the hell is going on?!”

Angel was pushing himself to his feet at one end of the room, wiping blood from his lip as Spike huddled in the corner, keening lowly.

“No, no. I won’t do it, you can’t make me. I won’t.”

“I was just trying to help,” he explained.

“How exactly were you planning on doing that?” she asked pointedly and he dipped his head.

“I was just trying to talk to him… then he lashed out at me.”

“No, no. Not the girl, no. I won’t do it. Can’t… can’t hurt… no!”

Spike was clutching his head almost painfully now, keening and blurting out his painful monologue. Suddenly his head whipped up, eyes yellow and fangs elongating as he hissed at Angel across the room.

“You can hurt me as much as you like but I won’t do it,” he growled and jumped to his feet, launching himself at the other vampire wildly. She heard her mother gasp as she leapt forward and intercepted Spike, struggling with him and finally sending him flying into the corner. And almost instantly, he curled up again in a protective ball.

“No, no didn’t mean it. Please… please don’t hurt me.”

Her tortured gaze went from him to Angel and then she turned her back on the older vampire.

“Just get out before you make him worse,” she commented, hearing him disappear behind her.



She took a deep breath and approached Spike warily, more than aware of her mother’s eyes on her.

“William,” she whispered, stopping just short of him, “It’s okay. No-one’s going to hurt you. Not Angel and… and not me. You’re safe here.”

“Never safe. Not safe. Safe as houses. Houses aren’t safe either… sneak in… get an invitation and you’re in.”

He lowered his voice to a mumbling she could hardly hear and she closed her eyes, fighting her emotions once more.

“Buffy,” her mother called out softly and she turned pained eyes on her, “Maybe he should get some proper sleep.”

Her mother’s gaze moved to the large bed and she nodded, turning back to the vampire. She knelt beside him and wrapped a cautious hand around his wrist.

“William, I just want you to move, okay? I’m not going to hurt you.”

Blue eyes rose to hers, holding hers for a short moment before he started his mumbling again, just under his breath. Taking that as encouragement, she wrapped her free arm around him and lifted him to his feet, made easier by the weight he had lost so quickly without blood. She shuffled the few steps to the bed and sat him down. Luckily, her job was then over as he instantly lay down and curled up, head buried in the pillow. She moved towards her mother and together they left the room.



She couldn’t help thinking Angel was somewhat fortunate her mother was with her when they found him downstairs because otherwise she wasn’t sure she would have contained her temper. Which scared her in a way: she had never been so angry at Angel before.

“How is he?” Angel asked as soon as they entered the room.

She went to reply but her mother beat her to it, sending her a look she couldn’t quite understand.

“He’s sleeping now, Angel.”

The vampire looked almost as surprised as she did and she almost laughed when her mother stepped forward.

“It’s nice to meet you properly, Angel,” she commented, “I must say, I was starting to wonder why Buffy wasn’t doing any better in school.”

Angel didn’t seem to know what to say to that and Joyce smiled brightly, moving to sit on a chair, watching the two of them. Angel’s eyes moved to hers but she averted her gaze, unable to bear those sad eyes just now.

“It seems to me that it’s probably best for Spike’s mental health if you stay away, Angel,” Joyce spoke up again, surprising them once more.

“I was only trying to help,” he explained, sounding like a small boy making an excuse.

“I’m sure. But he only seems calm around Buffy so perhaps you should leave it to her.”

She didn’t miss the half-angry look Angel sent her way and she quickly moved towards her mother.



“I just don’t know what can have made him so angry,” she remarked softly and Angel winced, turning to look out of the dark window.

“Sometimes even smell can set you off,” Angel murmured lowly, “If it’s one you recognise and don’t like.”

“Really?” Joyce piped up, voice full of curiosity, “Interesting. But why wouldn’t Spike like the smell of you?”

Angel winced again and Buffy almost felt sorry for him as he glanced at her and her mother.

“We’ve got a long history… and not much of it is good. Especially more recently.”

Well, that was certainly true – Spike had been so angry with his grandsire that he had been prepared to plot against him with the help of the Slayer. She was drawn out of her thoughts as her mother spoke again, turning to her.

“And has he been like that all week?” she asked quietly, “I mean… talking to himself.”

“Yeah, that’s pretty much a constant,” she answered with a twisted smile, “Doesn’t make for great conversation.”

Her mother gave her a soft smile and reached out to brush a hand over her hair.

“That’s why I want you to come home.”

“Mom, I-“

“I mean it, Buffy. I can’t let you stay here. You’re so busy worrying about Spike you’re hardly looking after yourself. I’m surprised Angel hasn’t remarked on the difference in you,” her mother commented, slanting a look at the bemused vampire.

“Mom, I’m fine.”

“Don’t lie to me, Buffy. You’re exhausted, physically and emotionally.”

“Well, it is kinda hard…” she murmured half to herself, “But Mom, I can’t leave him.”

“You don’t have to. He can stay with us.”



Her eyes widened with shock as she stared at her mother and when she glanced at Angel, he was doing the same thing. Her mother looked between the two of them and gave them a slight smile.

“Surely a change of scenery would be better. For everyone.”

It sounded like a great idea – except she wasn’t sure Spike would take to the idea.

“Mrs. Summers, I really don’t think Spike-“

“Considering your effect on Spike, Angel, I don’t think you can have any say in this.”

Buffy didn’t know whether to be astounded or amused by her mother’s cold tone. This was the longest she had ever spent with Angel and she really wasn’t turning into his biggest fan.

“He’s family,” Angel ground out.

“That may be. But Buffy’s my family and as I want her home and she won’t leave Spike, it seems the only solution.”

“Mom, I’m not sure it’s a good idea,” she said, taking pity on Angel and deflecting her mother’s attention from him, “He’s starting to get better here. He even recognised who I was earlier. If we move him, it might start all over again.”

“I understand that, Buffy, but I want you home. Safe.”

She wasn’t sure what the solution to this dilemma was and she bit her lip, trying to consider the possibilities.

“Give me a week,” she suggested to her mother, “We’ll see what he’s like at the end of it.”

“But Buffy-“

“And I’ll come home every day when he’s sleeping and let you know I’m okay.”

Her mother didn’t seem quite convinced but finally, she gave in and with a sigh nodded.

“I’ll bring you some things in the morning,” she said, brushing a hand over Buffy’s hair again.

“Thanks, Mom.”

She leant over and hugged her mother tightly.



“Right, now that’s settled, I really should get home,” Joyce exclaimed, rising to her feet.

“Did you come in the car?”

“Yes.”

“Okay, good,” Buffy sighed in relief, “Just… be careful, Mom.”

“That’s my line,” Joyce quipped and she smiled.

Joyce drew her into another hug, holding her close.

“I love you, Buffy. Never forget that,” she whispered and Buffy hugged her back tighter, breathing in the sweet scent of lavender. She pulled back again and tucked a strand of hair behind Buffy’s ear.

“Promise me you’ll get some sleep.”

“I promise, Mom.”

Her mother nodded and then turned to Angel.

“It was nice to see you again, Angel.”

He nodded awkwardly and then with another glance at her, her mother disappeared, leaving them in tense silence.

It was at least a full minute before either of them spoke, but finally Angel broke the silence.

“I’m sorry, Buffy.”

Her head snapped up and she frowned in confusion.

“About what I said… about you and Spike. I know you’re just helping but I-“

“It’s okay,” she whispered, softening, “I’m sorry for shouting at you.”

“It’s fine. I really did make him worse.”

They were silent for another long pause until she called out to him.

“Angel?”

“Yeah?”

“Come hold me already,” she murmured and in an instant, he was in front of her, wrapping her in his arms.



She didn’t know what was happening in her heart anymore – one minute, she was still as in love with Angel as ever, but then a moment later, something would make her almost want to hate him. She pushed the thoughts away and hugged him tightly, burying her head against him.

“Stay here with me tonight,” she whispered.

“Buffy-“

“I’m not asking you for anything. I just don’t want to be alone… or, you know, alone with the crazy vampire.”

He said nothing but held her tighter, his chin resting on her head.

“I love you, Buffy.”

“I love you.”

She raised her head and met his lips for a soft kiss that ended too soon, both of them too afraid to continue. They went upstairs together and lay down on the bed in the room next to Spike’s, curled up in each other’s arms. Content… for now.