The next few weeks passed by with Buffy and Spike attending classes, going to the Bronze, and making love.

They made love nearly every night and it just kept getting better.

They took turns sleeping in each others bedrooms. Giles and Jenny hardly came upstairs, so they weren't worried about getting caught.

~~~

Spike's love continued to grow for Buffy.

She was the light that he thought would never shine again on his dark existence.

He wanted to marry her. He wanted to show her the world.

She had brought William out of him.

He had even started talking to people. He began to remember his up bringing, started opening doors for people, when only a year before he would have slammed them in their face.

She made him want to be a better person.

He had begun to realize what a wonderful person Jenny was. He regretted the way he treated her, wondering why she had put up with him for so long. He had even asked her that. She had just smiled at him, and looked toward Giles' study.

But there was one thing he wouldn't do.

He would not talk to Giles.

He hardly even looked at him. If he did talk to him it was because he absolutely had to.

But he thought about him.

He thought about him all the time, and when he thought of him, he thought of Her.

~~~

They had even started doing things as a family.

Or they tried to at least.

It was hard to be a family, when Jenny and Buffy were the only ones participating. But they went out to dinner every once and a while, and sometimes they stayed in and watched movies.

And tonight was movie night.

~~~

"What about this one?" Jenny asked as she held up the box to a movie. Three groans came from behind her. She turned to look at Spike and Buffy snuggled on the couch, and Giles in a chair. "Fine." With a sigh she began digging through the chest again. She came across a blank tape and sat back on her heels trying to remember what it was.

"Spike?" She looked over at him, as she held up the tape.

"Yeah?"

"Do you know what this is?" She turned the tape over looking for anything that might be written on it.

"Nope, dosen't it say?" She shook her head no, and flipped it again showing him the blank side. "Well pop it in, see what it is."

She turned around on her knees, and put the tape into the VCR. She stood up, grabbed the remote, and sat down on the arm of Giles' chair.

They all stared at the fuzzy screen, and when the image popped up, Jenny and Buffy gasped.

Joyce stood in front of the camera with a smile on her face, and a tiny Buffy on her hip. She was smiling at the person behind the camera, while trying to get Buffy to pay attention to it.

"Buffy, say hi to Jenny." Buffy looked into the camera, and waved her little arm once.

"Jeey!"

"That's mommy's good girl." Joyce gave Buffy a kiss on the head and snuggled her close, looking at the camera with a smile.

Buffy was breathing rapidly and her chin was quivering, and she only said one word before she bolted from the couch and up the stairs.

"Mommy."

~~~

Spike found her on the bedroom floor, clinging to the picture of her mother she kept by the bed.

Her sobs were deafening, and her whole body shook from the force of them.

He picked her up and laid her on the bed, then he climbed on beside her and pulled her to his chest.

She didn't stop crying for nearly two hours, and her fingers held the picture in a vice grip.

She finally settled down and pulled back to look at Spike. He looked back at her with his own tearful eyes.

She laid her aching head on his chest and he scooted down the bed so they could lie down.

She was still softly crying when she started speaking.

"I'm sorry."

Spike stroked her head and then placed a kiss there. "Pet, there's nothing to be sorry for, do you hear?"

She nodded her head.

"I've been doing so good. But seeing her there, talking and smiling, I jus-"

She started crying again and he held her to him, whispering softly in her hair.

"Spike?"

"Yes, my love?"

"Will you tell me a story? I don't care, just take my mind away."

"I'm afraid I don't know any good stories, love."

"Well, sing a song, anything. Please."

He scanned his memory for a song, then pulled her tighter to him and softly began singing in her hair.

"Sometimes many miles may lay between us
But only for the job I choose to do
And one thought helps me through my darkest hour
Each mile brings be closer to you

Please believe you're all I ever wanted
If you should leave I don't know what I'd do
I'd be like a child afraid of darkness
The greatest fear I have is loosing you

Heaven knows I've always had these demons
Watching for a place to take control
Whispering "you'll never be there for me"
Waiting at the end of my road

Please believe you're all I ever wanted
If you should leave I don't know what I'd do
I'd be like a child afraid of darkness
The greatest fear I have is loosing you

Alone I wonder through this world
No meaning in my life
And I found you and finally saw the light

So please believe you're all I ever wanted
If you should leave I don't know what I'd do
I'd be like a child afraid of darkness
The greatest fear I have is loosing you

The greatest fear I have is loosing you"


His deep voice had lulled her to sleep. He pulled the covers up around them, and closed his eyes.

When he fell asleep behind her, he only had one thought on his mind.

No truer words had ever been spoken.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Song is "My Greatest Fear" By Randy Travis