Winter Break had arrived, and Buffy and Spike had spent the first few days of their short freedom lounging in bed and making love.

It was as if they couldn't get enough of each other.

They were addicted, one body continuosly craved the other.

~

Buffy watched from Spike's bed as he wandered around the room getting ready to leave.

She had a permanent pout in place, and had been trying to lure him back into the bed since the moment he left it.

Today he had designated "His day", which in reality was the day he was going to pick up Buffy's christmas gift. She wanted to accompany him everywhere he went, so he had to put his foot down this time. And if his professor hadn't canceled a class one Thursday, he doubted he would even have her anything.

"Spike."

She let the sheet slide down past her breasts, and arranged herself sexily against the pillows.

"Nope."

She kicked her legs in frustration, not minding dropping her sexy pose, since he wasn't going to look at her.

"Fine."

She rolled over turning her back against him, and covered her head with the sheet.

He smiled at her sulking form and walked over to the bed, leaning over to place a kiss against what he thought was her lips.

"I'll be back soon, sweet love."

"Don't call me that!"

He shook his head, and walked out the door wearing a smile.

Buffy's head popped up right before the door closed and she caught sight of his bare arms. She looked over to where the duster lay on his chair, and scrambled out of bed, grabbing the jacket while running to the door.

"Spike! You forgot your coa-"

She looked down when a worn out journal fell to the floor.


~~~~

Spike hurried into the jewelry shop, cursing himself for forgetting his coat.

But he was so excited to get Buffy's gift, he didn't care about chill.

The older gentleman looked up from the piece he was repairing and smiled at the shivering young man.

"Good morning, William. You're here awful early."

"Morning Mr. Oliver."

Spike gave him a hopeful look and the old man smiled and stood up, waving a hand for Spike to join him.

"Come on my boy. It's back here."

A smile shot across Spike's face and he hurridly joined him at the back counter.

Mr. Oliver pulled a black velvet box from a drawer beneath the glass case and opened it, sitting it on top of the counter for Spike's inspection.

Nestled inside the black velvelt lining, the small ring sparkled. A small square diamond was flanked on each side by a smaller square garnet, Buffy's birthstone.

Spike had came into the store looking for her a gift, and when he had saw the tiny ring he knew he had found it. The old man had pulled it out with a smile, telling him that it was an estate piece.

He told Spike the history of the ring, of how it was given to a woman by her husband, who was later killed in World War II. She had worn the ring until her death, but had stated in her will for the ring to be passed on. But soon money had become tight for the family, so they had to pawn it, along with several other items.

Spike picked the ring up and held it, thinking that he could actually feel the love radiating from it. He remembered what Buffy had said about things happening for a reason, and looked up at the jeweler, who smiled at him with knowing eyes.

The ring had been cleaned , and it shined in the early morning sun.

"Good Luck, son."

Spike smiled at Mr. Oliver and said goodbye, pocketing the ring in his shirt pocket.

He walked out the door with a smile and headed home to Buffy.

~~~~~

Buffy sat in shock as she read entry after entry.

A tear fell onto the journal, and blurred the ink against the page.

The tears had been constant since she had first opened the journal, reading the first entry writen by a thirteen year old Spike.

The pages were cluttered and stained with tears and alcohol. Their wasn't a seperate entry on each page, he just picked up on whatever line he ended at.

She wondered how he had the same book after eight years, but each entry had a date.

The first was September 8, 1996.

Everything was written on the eight of the month, and everything ended suddenly, like he was to drunk to finish his sentence.

Now she knew.

Her head snapped up when the door opened, and Spike walked in with a rose in his hand and smile on his face.

Until he saw what she was reading.

He froze in his tracks, the rose falling to the floor along with his smile.

His body began shaking, his fists clenching and unclenching at his sides, and she could see his eyes getting wet as they narrowed.

But what scared her the most, was the venom in his voice.

"What have you done?"