Buffy jumped as the door to her room flew open and Giles stumbled in with the last of her bags. He set them down near the bed, and dabbed his forehead with a hankerchif as he tried to catch his breath.

"There you are, Buffy. I hope that's the last of them." He said, as he looked out at the stairs with trepidation. Buffy smiled at the look on his face.

"Yeah, that's the last. Thank you for bringing them up for me." She said as she looked at the suitcases scattered across the floor.

"You're quite welcome, my dear." Giles sucked in a breath as he pondered his next words, "Buffy, I just want to tell you that we're here for you." At the mention of her situation, Buffy looked up at the ceiling, trying to hide her emotions. "I don't know first hand what you're going through, but I have lost someone before. Someone who- Someone who should still be here." Buffy looked up sharply as Giles said this, his voice overcome with emotion, the grief laced with anger.

She was shocked to see the hatred on his normaly kind face, and was almost tempted to take a step back. Then suddenly, almost as if he were waking up, he shook his head and looked up at her with dull, hollow eyes.

"Jenny is fixing dinner right now, it will be a while, but it might give you time to get settled." And with that he walked away, softly closing the door behind him.

Buffy sat down on the bed and tried to figure out what just happened. Jenny had told her mother that Giles' first wife had passed away, but she had thought it was of natural causes. But the look on his face, the raw pain and anger, had her thinking that maybe there was more to it.

As she was sitting there, trying to remember anything Jenny might have said about the woman, the front door flew open and was slammed so hard that her door rattled on it's hinges. Thundering footsteps up the stairs and then the door across the hall was given the same treatment as the front. She sat there wide eyed, and was contemplating seeing what the ruckus was, when music was blared so loud she had to cover her ears. She dimly heard someone beating on the door and then the music was lowered a pitch or two.

When Buffy opened her door and peered in the hall, she was met by Giles, who was staring at the door with a weary look on his face.

"What was that?"

Giles turned to face her then, spit out two curt words, and headed down the stairs, leaving Buffy staring at the closed door shaking with the sounds of The Sex Pistols.

"William's home."