Buffy shot up when her cell phone rang.

She had been lying in bed thinking of Spike and crying, and when her phone rang she nearly fell off the bed.

She knocked everything off the bedside table blindly searching for the phone. She finally saw the lit up keypad and grabbed it just as it quit ringing.

"No!"

Her fingers were trembling so hard she pressed the wrong button twice before the missed call list popped up.

She started crying again when she read the lone name on the list.

Spike

~~~

She held the phone shakily to her ear, and only heard one soft ring before it was answered.

"Buffy?"

She couldn't stop the torrent of tears at the sound of his voice.

"Spike?"

"Oh, Buffy. It's- I-"

She could hear his tears falling, and then she heard him begin to hiccup.

"Spike-"

She was cut off before she could finish her sentence.

"Buffy, I'm comin' to see you. Just- just hold on, I'm on the way! I'll be righ- Wait. Where are you?"

She tried to stop the anger from rising within her. Tried to tell herself that this was his way of dealing.

And also, one of the reasons she had to leave.

He hadn't changed, and it made her think that maybe he really didn't want her.

Maybe he just used her.

She was there, right across the hall from him.

Convenient.

She barely kept her anger hidden.

"You're drunk."

She could practically hear him shaking his head.

"No! No, I'm not. I'm- maybe just a little."

"Is this what you've been doing since I've been gone? Don't you even realize that this is why I left? Because you would rather drink yourself into your own little painless world for awhile, instead facing your problems."

"No, Buffy I- that's why I called! I had to tell you-"

"Your drunk. Anything you want to say to me, can be said when you're sober."

"But-"

"No Spike! Do you even know what time it is?"

His voice grew small and was coated in tears.

"I-I'm sorry. I just wanted to hear your voice."

Her heart melted and the anger left her body.

"I know. I'm sorry too, it's just- you don't even understand."

"I will Buffy! I promise, just tell me!"

She let out a sigh, scrubbing her hand across her wet face.

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it."

"But I do! I think about you all the time, your always here, everything I do! I miss you, Buffy."

She dropped back to the bed, and pictured him laying beside her.

"I miss you too, so much."

"Then let me come, Buffy! Please let me come and get you! I can't do it without you!"

"Yes you can. You have to."

She heard his sigh of defeat, and screwed her eyes shut with his next words.

"I love you, baby."

"I love you too."

"Do you think about me?"

She let out a small laugh, "Every second."

She heard something slosh, and knew he was taking another drink.

"Spike."

He let out a disgusted sound before he answered.

"Yeah, sweet love?"

Some of her anger faded at her pet name, but most of it stayed still.

"Call me when you find yourself somwhere beside's the bottom of a bottle."

He could hear her soft sobs before she disconnected. He looked at the bottle in his hand and let it drop to the floor.

He watched it spill into the carpeting, while memories of his mother entwined with memories of Buffy.

And he knew that even though one battle had ended, another was still going strong.