"Mr. Giles?"

Spike looked up as the school secretary entered his classroom.

"Class continue reading silently."

The students grumbled but began reading.

Spike walked over to the woman and gave her a brief smile.

"Yes, Mrs. Waters?"

"You have a phone call."

Spike checked his watch, "Can you take a message, I've still got about an hour or so until my planning period."

"No Mr. Giles, they insisted on speaking with you."

Spike sighed and walked toward the door, "Can you watch my class for a moment?"

"Yes, of course."

"Thanks."

Spike walked toward the office wondering who could be calling him. He knew it wasn't Buffy because they had a special code for when she went into labor.

Spike brought the phone to his ear after being told which line his call was on.

"Hello?"

"William."

"Dad? Why are calling me at wor-"

"Will, get to the hospital."

Fear struck his body at his father's words.

"What? Wh- What's happened?"

"It's Buffy."

Spike started breathing rapidly and tears began to form.

"Oh- oh God! What is it? What's wrong with her?!"

People in the office stopped and looked as the once calm man became hysterical.

"William, calm dow-"

"No! Tell me what's wrong!"

"Her blood pressure shot up and she went into a seizure-" Spike hit his knees sobbing. "They're fixing to do an emergency c-section to get the baby. He's- he's in danger as well."

Spike stood up and dropped the phone, running to the door, talking as he ran.

"I'll be right there! I'm on my way, hold on- please God! Please take care of them."

~~~~~~~~

The double doors busted open and Spike ran in, eyes searching wildly.

He spotted Giles and Jenny and ran to them.

"What? What's happening? Where is she?!"

Giles stood up and walked to him, placing his hands on his shoulders.

"She's in surgery. They're trying to get the baby out so they can work on her."

"Why? Why is this happening? Everything was going fine!"

"Son, they don't know. Sometimes there is just complications in pregnancy."

The OR door opened and a man in scrubs walked through, pulling off a face mask.

"Mr. Giles?"

Spike ran to him and grasped his arms in a vice grip.

"Are they alright? Please!"

The doctor pulled Spike's hands away and patted his upper arms.

"The baby is fine. A beautiful little boy."

Spike sighed in a short lived relief.

"Buffy? What about her?"

"She slipped into a coma, Mr. Giles. Her blood pressure was just to high. We're doing all we can to get it lowered."

Spike shook his head in disbelief,

"Coma?"

"Yes sir. I'm sorry."

"But why? What happened?"

"These things just happen to certain people, she could be in a coma for a couple of hours or she could never-"

Spike pushed the doctor away, wildly shaking his head.

"Don't! Don't you fucking say that, you hear me?! Don't! She'll wake up. She will, she- I need to see my son!'

"Sir, he-"

"I want to see my son!"

The doctor sighed but nodded his head. "Follow me."

Spike followed the doctor into the nursery and sobbed as the plastic cradle came into sight.

The doctor nodded to a nurse, who picked up the blue bundle and handed him to Spike.

Spike looked at his son's sleeping face and wept. He cradled him close to his heart and placed a kiss against his soft head.

"I want to see my wife."

"Sir, the baby will have to ride in the-"

"I'll carry my son."

"But Sir-"

"Please."

Spike looked at the nurse with his heart shining in his eyes. She softly nodded before checking the corridor, making sure it was empty. He followed her to a room, and nearly hit the floor at the sight on the other side of the door.

"Oh- oh God."

He walked to the bed and sat down carefully in the chair next to the bed, still cradling the baby to his chest.

He could hardly see her face. She had a tube running down her throat and her arms were covered with blood pressure cuffs.

"Buffy? Buffy, please wake up. Look at our son, Buffy! Wake up!"

His tearful plea's woke the baby and they wailed together.

~~~~~~~~

The nurses had finally pried the baby from his arms, and only because he needed to be monitered and fed.

He sat in the chair and stared at her beautiful face.

"I know I don't deserve anything. Let alone her and him. But please, please Lord, don't take her away from me. Please! I don't want to do this without her. I don't wanna live without her! Please, please don't take her from me! Please."

He was crying to hard to finish and buried his head against her arm.

A lone figure stood in the doorway, crying tears of his own.

He never made his presence known, but whispered one solitary word.

"Amen."