Buffy was still standing at the top of the stairs when Jenny called for dinner. She crossed the hall to the bathroom, turned on the water and washed her hands. She looked up into the mirror as she was rinsing her hands and frowned at her reflection. She didn't know the girl staring back at her, she didn't recognize the dark circles under her eyes, or the sparce face that was once beautifully made up. She splashed the mirror with water, and idly thought that the distorted image looked more familiar.

The music was still at full blast when she passed by the closed door and made her way down the stairs, passing Giles at the bottom, making his way up. She walked into the dining room where Jenny was placing food on the table.

"Is there anything I can help with?" Buffy asked as she tried to push away memories of asking her mother the same question.

"No, baby girl, I've got it. But thank you." Jenny gave her a tender smile as she headed back to the kitchen. "You just sit down, the boys will come in a minute."

Boys. Giles and William. The little boy with a mop top of curls, bow tie, and coke bottle glasses? He didn't seem like the type to listen to Anarchy in the U.K. But the bleached Adonis that just glided into the room definitely did.

Buffy sat with an open mouth as she took in the sight before her, who was this and where did they bury William? Where was the bow tie and huge glasses? The creature walking silkily to the chair across from her was breathtaking. Cheekbones that begged for kisses, eyes so blue they were almost violet, and touseled bleached curls made for one fine package.

He hadn't even looked up as he entered the room, as he was so intent on ignoring the world around him. But when he finally looked up and saw the petite blonde sitting at the table, he stopped in his tracks. Buffy locked eyes with him, and dragged in a rough breath at what she saw. But sut as soon as she saw it, he closed his eyes and when he opened them, she looked into ice.

He jerked his chair out from under the table and plopped down in his seat. Buffy saw the look Giles was giving him, livid that he hadn't breathed a word to the new addition in the house.

"William, don't you know how to introduce yourself?" Giles bit out through tight lips. Jenny took her place beside him and laid a comforting hand on his arm. Giles seemed to calm a bit at her touch, but never let his gaze fall from his son.

Finally blue eyes snapped up to her face, "The name is Spike." He said with a forceful ring, and looked over to his father as he said his nick name, clearly annoyed with the use of his christian name.

"I'm Buffy." She finally managed to squeak out, putting an end to the stare down between the men. Spike let out a snort at that, and she could hear him repeat the name to himself as he let out a snarky chuckle. Buffy bristled at this, ready to ask him how Spike was so much better, when she heard Giles let out a ragged sigh. Glancing at the older man she could she the apology on his face, and decided to let it slide, she was a guest after all.

Dinner managed to go on without anymore explosions, but also without any conversation. Giles seemed to be miles away, Jenny stared at him between the occasional bite, and Spike was intent on driving them mad by scraping his fork across his plate. As much as she tried not to, she couldn't help thinking of Her. Dinner with her, talking to her, sharing a pint of Cherry Garcia while watching Cat On A Hot Tin Roof, remembering what she said everytime they watched it, "Paul Newman is so handsome, you know when I first met your father, that's what he looked like." The dreamy smile that turned wistful and bitter at the thought of her ex-husband.

She could feel the tears coming, so she closed her eyes and tried to stop them. Her throat burned and ached, and the tears escaped despite her efforts. She pushed away from the table catching everyone's attention, and when she looked at Spike, she saw it again, that look in his eyes, the one she knew, the one she felt everyday.

Sorrow.