The next few weeks past with Buffy hardly ever seeing Spike.

He was in and out at all hours, and the few times that she did see him he hardly even acknowledged her. So she spent her time registering for school and trying to squeeze college money out of her father. He finally broke down and offered to pay for all of it just to get her to leave him alone. She should have been happy to get the cheapskate to finally do something for his only child, but a part of her just wanted to burn the money. Her mother worked her fingers off, and scrimped and saved to get them what little bit of things they had, while her father lived the high life.

Now that her schooling was taken care of and she was waiting for it to begin, she had nothing to do. She usually just stayed in her room, and occassionally joined Jenny on a trip to the grocery store.

But she mainly stayed upstairs thinking of her mother, and oddly enough, Spike.

She found out that he was twenty years old, and attended UC Sunnydale. She had tried to pry more information out of Jenny, but something always came up and left her questions unanswered.

Since it was summer, Giles was always home, but he stayed in his study. Buffy was beginning to think she had actually seen more of Spike, than of his father.

~~~

Buffy stood beside Jenny and accepted the plate she handed her to dry. "Jenny?"

"Yes, Buffy?" Another plate.

"What happened to Spike's mother?" The dull thud of the pan hitting the sink as Jenny dropped it, almost made Buffy loose hold on her plate as well.

"Why? What do you mean?" She asked as she picked up the pan and began to scrub it.

Buffy looked at the plate she was drying, "Nothing, I just was curious." She looked over at her aunt, who was staring out the window.

Jenny looked over at Buffy before turning to look at the closed door of Giles' study, "She's dead, she died when he was 13."

"Oh, is that why they moved here from England?" Buffy asked as she reached for another plate.

"No. Rupert was in New York then." Buffy looked confused by this, she thought she heard Spike say he moved straight to Sunnydale from England.

"But, I thou-" Buffy's question was cut short, when Jenny turned to face her.

"They weren't together when she was- when she died." Jenny finished with another glance at the study. She finished rinsing the final dish and sat it on the strainer. "I've got some laundry to do." And with that she was gone.

Buffy thought about what Jenny said while she put away the remaining dish. When she was what?

~~~~~~


Spike winced as he sat on the rough bench, pulling a battered notebook out of one pocket of his duster and a bottle of whiskey out of the other. He flipped the book open and scanned for a blank page, he passed his other entries, feeling his heart get heavier with everyone. This was the only time he allowed himself to think about her, the only time he talked to her.

So he pulled the cap off his whiskey, took a long drink, and started writing.

*Hello mum....*