The front door slammed open and bounced against the wall, and Buffy knew without a doubt that Spike was home. She had grown used to sleeping right through his entrances, but tonight she had been plagued with dreams of her mother, and was perfectly willing to stay up all night to keep from having another.

She expected to hear his boots stomping up the stairs, but all she heard was a loud thump, followed by an explosion of giggles. It was after one, and she knew that both Giles and Jenny were out like lights. She got up, opened her door and peered to the bottom of the steps. What she saw had her flying down the stairs two at a time. Spike lay at the bottom, sprawled out in the foyer, half of his body in the house and the other on the porch.

By the time she reached the halfway mark, she could smell the alcohol waifting off him. She crouched down beside him and tried to roll him over.

"Spike, are you alright?" His eyes were closed and his face wet with tears. Her question started a wave of new giggles.

"No, pet, I am most ceeertainly nooot." He slurred out while reaching a shaky hand up to play with the hair hanging near his face. "I haven't been in a long time." He looked at her then, and must have realized what was happening. He turned his face away and started scrubbing at it, trying to wipe away all traces of his tears. He tried to pull himself up, only to fall right back down, smaking the floor with his head.

"Here, let me help you." Buffy said as she grabbed his arm trying to pull him up, but he jerked his arm away so suddenly that Buffy fell on top of him. She laid there, sprawled on top of him, and looked down into the most beautiful eyes she had ever seen. He looked back at her and the tears began to flow. Buffy wasn't sure what to do, until she felt his arms encircle her back. He pulled her down and buried his face in her hair, sobbing. Since Buffy couldn't put her arms around him, she stroked his arm with one hand and his hair with the other. The pain coming from him was so strong that Buffy began to cry herself, and she was suprised to find that the tears were flowing not from the thought her mother, but the thought of Spike's. She didn't know what happened to the woman, but now she was more determined than ever to find out.

She knew that Spike and Giles didn't get along, in fact half of Sunnydale knew it. She also knew that Spike and Jenny hardly ever spoke. But she could see that both Giles and Jenny loved him, and tried to have something to do with him, but he wouldn't have it. She didn't think he had anything to do with anybody. No one ever called the house for him, and he never brought anyone home. She was beginning to wonder if he had any friends at all.

Spike's sobs were growing louder and Buffy knew that Giles would surely wake up soon. She tried to pull up, but Spike latched onto her tighter than ever.

"Spike, we have to get up." His grip loosened a bit and Buffy pulled back to look at his face, his eyes were wide and he was shaking his head no, "Yes, come on. We have to get upstairs before your dad wakes up."

At the mention Giles, his face instantly hardened and he began pushing her off of him. She clambored to her feet and offered him her hand, which he refused. He got up on shaky legs and stumbled past her to grab onto the railings of the stairs. He began to climb, tripping on one step, and skipping another. Buffy stayed behind him with one hand on the rail, and the other straight out in front of her, pushing him back upright when he toppled backwards. They finally reached the landing and Buffy moved in front of him, keeping one hand on his arm and the other pushing open his door. She was fairly surprised at how clean the room was, and helped him over to a perfectly made bed. She let go off him to pull the covers down, and instantly regretted it when he fell into his desk. She finally got him onto the bed, pulling his shoes off, and dragging him out of the duster. She was give out now, because Spike had been no help at all, and was ready to fall into bed, nightmares be damned.

She thought it was pretty odd that they had never even had a conversation, but they had both put the other to bed, and he had even seen her naked.

She pulled the covers up to his chin, and let out a yelp when two strong arms emerged, and jerked her down onto the bed, wrapping themselves around her. She layed there in astonishment while Spike buried his face in her hair, and started mumbling nonsense.

She thought he was asleep, so she began untangling him from around her so she could go to her own bed. She was halfway off the bed when he said her name, and she turned to see watery blue eyes staring at her.

"Buffy." It was slurred and heavy with drunk, but it sent shivers down her spine.

"What?" She laid back down and looked at his drooping eyelids.

"Don't leave me." The last parted faded into nothing, as his arms tightened around her and he fell into a deep sleep.

She placed her arm over his and laced their fingers, closing her eyes to the feeling of his warm breath on her neck.

"I won't."