The sun beaming through the window woke Spike. Still groggy, he was about to push Empress over a bit when he realized it wasn’t the Grundy nestled against his side;it was Buffy.

Tilting his head slightly, he saw Empress spread across the foot of the bed on Buffy’s side. Her position had caused the Slayer to roll into the middle. Without their furry barrier, he’d moved closer to her heat. Inhaling her scent, Spike closed his eyes again.

“Don’t go back to sleep.”

Startled, he tensed. Empress knew she was supposed to stay between them. He tried to relax.

“You’re awake.” Bloody hell, could that pronouncement have sounded any more daft?

“Unless I’ve learned to carry on a lucid conversation in my sleep, I’d say the answer would be yes.” Still sleepy, her voice sounded amused.

Spike waited. After all, she hadn’t moved. Yet.

Buffy cleared her throat. “It looks like Empress moved sometime last night and we rolled to the center.” Well, Ms. Obvious, could that have been any more lame? She forged on. “I guess even asleep opposites attract. Must be our magnetic personalities.”

Emboldened by her little joke, he cautiously tested the waters. “We haven’t been opposites for a good long while, pet.”

Buffy tilted her head to look up at him. “That’s true.”

In for a penny…. Spike locked eyes with her. “Buffy, I think something’s happenin’ here.”

“Yeah, we have a Grundy that totally misbehaves.”

“I don’t mean that.”

“I know.” She rolled onto her back and sighed, staring up at the ceiling. “It’s hard to tell how much of what’s going on is our heads being messed with due to our circumstances. I’m really confused and some time apart would be a good idea right about now.”

I’m going for a walk up on deck. It’s been three days since I’ve been awake early and this California girl misses the sun.” Throwing off the covers, she sat up, giving him a glimpse of the confusion playing across her face.

Spike knew some of it was mirrored in his own aspect. Even though he thought he knew what he wanted, what she said rang true enough to find him agreeing with her. He slid out of the covers and stood up.

“I think you’re right. We’ve been spendin’ too much time in each other’s pockets. We could use a break to gain some perspective. I’ll catch up with you later tonight.”

“What about dinner?”

“Why don’t you have dinner with Red? I’ll check in with Harris later, in case you need me. Otherwise, Empress and I’ll see you at the Grundy trials.” He started for his dressing area.

“That’s a good idea. I’ll see you tonight then.” Buffy closed her own door.

Empress’ ears pricked. Her companions hadn’t slammed any doors. That was a good sign. She rolled over. Breeding companions was hard work and she needed more sleep.

*****

Willow leaned back in her desk chair and surveyed her best friend. Buffy’s silence after blurting out the conversation between her and Spike was making it difficult to ascertain what was going on in her head.

“And?”

“And I think he might be interested and I think I might be interested right back but I’m so confused.”

Willow prompted her friend again. “Why?”

“Because I don’t know if my sudden feelings or his for that matter, are a result of our ‘Big Brother’ sitch or really real.”

Willow watched Buffy lean forward, twisting a lock of hair around her finger. Eyes solemn, she stared bleakly at the floor.

While training the Grundy, Willow had worked closely with Buffy and Spike and she’d noticed their obvious attraction to each other. Unbeknownst to either one, these ‘sudden feelings’ had actually been simmering for awhile now and it was just too bad the couple had reached this crossroad while on the ship, making things so muddled.

Listening to the conversational replay, she read between the lines. Spike, even though nervous himself, had made the first overture but had quickly stepped back, afraid that a confused Buffy would stubbornly decide everything was a ship induced mirage and shut down completely. Looking at her friend that wasn’t such impossibility either. Buffy was confused, flummoxed by her emergent feelings in such an alien situation.

She wracked her brain, thinking of a way to keep her best friend from dismissing her true feelings about Spike and cheating them both out of a chance at the happiness they deserved.

“Buffy, let’s start at the beginning. How did you think of Spike before we left Sunnydale?”

“He’s a really close friend and at home we patrol together as partners almost every night,” she answered promptly.

Willow realized this was going to have to be one baby step at a time. She tried again. “I don’t mean patrolling or even really activities. I’m talking about what comes to mind when you think about Spike, the guy.”

“Oh. I’m not sure. It’s hard to explain. You know even when he’s not with me, he’s still with me.”

“What do you mean?” Willow waited patiently, giving her a chance to think it through. Words had never been Buffy’s strong suit.

Staring at one of the stains on the wall, Buffy tried to arrange her thoughts coherently. “Well, it’s like this. When something happens and I’m by myself I think, ‘oh, Spike would have liked that, or ‘oh Spike would have absolutely hated that’.

Or when I say something snarky and I’m waiting to hear his snarky reply. Or someone cracks a joke and even though I’m laughing I’m waiting for Spike to laugh, too. You know, he has an amazing laugh, although a lot of the time it’s directed at the most inappropriate stuff,” she added wryly.

Willow watched Buffy as they talked. Discussing Spike created a transformation in her entire demeanor. She’d stopped twisting her hair. and her face lit up.

Oh Goddess, she’s got it bad. Hiding her amusement at how thick her best friend could be sometimes, she persevered. “Let’s talk about the forced behavior from the cruise. Is there anything you two have been forced to do that was contrary to your usual relationship and might have made you feel differently about Spike at the time?”

Buffy wracked her brain for examples. “Hmmm. Well, we had this hand holding thing going on, although it really didn’t seem forced. I’m not sure that’s the right word. Anyway I remember I wished he hadn’t had to let go.” She lowered her voice. “You know, I never noticed before this cruise what nice hands Spike has. He’s got those long thin fingers that are so sexy on guys.”

Willow bit back a smile at Buffy’s description of Spike’s hands. “Any thing else you can think of that you guys did that was different?”

She brightened again. “Last night he played Sir Galahad, rescuing me from Zahn. It’s a side of Spike I don’t see too often. He tries to be all cool punk rock guy all the time, but sometimes there are these little flashes of a guy that’s a lot different then that. You know, like how he is with Empress when he thinks you and I aren’t watching. But you know what the coolest part of that whole sitch was?”

Buffy waited until Willow shook her head before continuing. “Besides the whole jealous vibe that I swear was really real, I knew he could actually do it. Protect me, I mean. That is, if I really needed protecting of course. Which I don’t. Ever. I mean, Slayer here. But it’s still nice to know he could seriously do it, it’s not just lip service. I guess I’d have to say I saw his strength used in a different way than usual.” She smiled that dreamy smile that Willow was already beginning to think of as the ‘Spike’ smile.

“Barring anything too TMI, are there any changes that you’ve noticed on a more personal level since you guys have been sharing space together?”

“Well, there’s one thing that’s changed. I keep noticing what a hottie he is. He sleeps in this little pair of baggy gym shorts and Oh My God. Although, now that I stop and think about that too, I knew he was cute before now. I just hadn’t had a chance to be up close and personal with a less-clothes-wearing Spike.”

Openly grinning now, Willow leaned back in her chair.

Buffy shrugged and her lips twisted. “Okay, you don’t have to hit me over the head with one of those big psychological breakthrough convos, I’m so getting it now. The more I talk about this, the more I realize nothing has been forced on either of us. I must have been thinking this stuff for awhile deep inside my head. It just hadn’t had a chance to pop out and let me on the clue train.” Relieved, she smiled happily at her friend. “This crummy demon boat doesn’t have anything to do with my real feelings at all.”

“I don’t think so either.” Willow replied. “Especially since I’ve noticed something between the two of you for at least the past two weeks.”

“Really?” Buffy’s eyes twinkled. “Hey Willow, news flash, I’ve fallen for Spike.”

“Yeah. I got the memo, although it turned out to be a three page essay with incorrect punctuation. But for what it’s worth, I wouldn’t be doing this entire Freud thing with you if I didn’t think you two would be really good together.”

“Wait a minute.”

“What’s the matter? I thought we’ve both decided this is a good thing.”

“What if he decides he isn’t falling for me, too?”

“Buffy, have you actually seen Spike lately? Trust me, that’s a given. He just needs a little time to process, too.” Willow watched her friend brighten again. Well that wasn’t too bad. Spike will be thrilled that I didn’t send her back broken.

“Now that we’ve got your love life settled, can we have dinner?” She patted her stomach lightly. “I’m starved after all this heavy conversation.”

“I’m hungry, too. Let’s go back to my cabin and I can have food brought to us. We can look through my clothes and find you something to wear to the Grundy trials. That way we can stand together without anyone paying any attention.”

“That’s a good idea. It’ll help maintain your cover if we’re not seen eating together anywhere. We won’t have to worry about being overheard when I fill you in on what Anya found out during her ‘covert op’ as she and Xander are calling it. Go on back and I’ll meet you in a few minutes.”

An hour later Willow pushed aside an empty plate that had until recently held an enormous slice of Mississippi Mud Cake. She moaned appreciatively. “That had to be the best dessert I’ve ever had.”

“I had that last night. It’s the only mud I’ve been around lately that didn’t wind up all over my clothes.” She stacked her empty dishes on the room service cart. “Fill me in on what Anya discovered.”

Willow dutifully reiterated the conversation the ex-vengeance demon had had with Savana, winding up with Anya’s deductions concerning Zahn’s knowledge of the bracelet.

Once she’d finished, Buffy leaned back in her chair. “He knew someone was bringing the bracelet to Aria onboard and somehow I showed up on radar. That’s why the Kiefer Sutherland impression in the bar last night. Spike said he was checking me out.”

Her eyes widened. “Willow! I just remembered that when I met him I was wearing the bracelet. He ran his hand down my arm and across the bracelet! He knows I’ve got it.”

Willow thought about the implications. “He doesn’t know who you really are, so you’re still one step ahead. Besides, it’s not like he would try to take it during the cruise. What would he do with it? There’s nowhere to hide. We’d just find him and take it back.”

“Good point. He’s not going to make a move yet. He won’t be going anywhere until we dock in L.A. in three days. What’s Anya’s next move?”

“She’s going to see Savana again tonight and try to get her to spill on where the other Hothis are onboard.”

“That’s a good idea, if she’ll do it.”

“Anya seems to have forged a friendship with her, so maybe.”

“We need to give Aria a heads up about Zahn. She’s already pretty squicked by him, but she needs to avoid him completely. Maybe we’ll run into her at the Grundy trials and we can slip her a note.” Buffy looked up at the large wall clock. “We should get moving. Empress will be so disappointed if we’re late.”

*****

“Lo Harris. I’ll have a Dewar’s and Empress will have a Pepsi poured into a saucer.”

“You’re giving Empress a Pepsi?” Xander squeaked. So much for bartenders staying calm and neutral in any given situation. He’d certainly ruined that old adage after hearing Spike’s insano request.

“Won’t Buffy be fit to be tied? Won’t Empress have an actual fit? That’s a serious amount of caffeine to give a Grundy, especially her.” He looked at the little demon Spike had lifted onto the bar stool next to his. Her fur was mussed and a flowered hair band and matching bow were crooked, giving her a cockeyed appearance.

Staring at Xander, Empress placed both front paws on the bar and snorted loudly.

Xander swallowed, automatically reaching for a saucer and the Pepsi dispenser.

“It’s fine, she’ll use the extra energy tonight.”

“That’s right. Tonight are the Grundy field trials up on deck. That’s all anyone in here can talk about. In fact, several of my regulars have signed up their Grundies. There’s going to be a huge crowd.” Xander watched the demon lap her Pepsi and an idea occurred to him.

“Empress, with all the training and patrolling you do at home, you’ll blow those prissy little purses right out of the water.”

Empress looked up and winked at Xander before diving back into her nearly completed drink.

Xander grinned. It was amazing how fast a saucer full of soda could disappear with a forked tongue. Of course this was Empress- she could make a pillar candle disappear so fast Anya and Giles didn’t even have time to figure out it’s missing.

He glanced around the bar and lowered his voice. “You know Spike, she’s going to kick serious ass.” At the vampires’ nod, he continued. “It would certainly be a shame to let a golden opportunity like this pass by without something to show for it.”

Spike cocked an eyebrow. Xander was leaning on the bar staring at Empress with a gleam in his eye. “Why Harris, I do believe your new mates have corrupted you. Since when did you think about fleecing anyone?”

“They’re demons. Who better to take advantage of?” Xander looked around. No one was listening that he could see. He lowered his voice. “I can’t kill them, but this would be nearly as good.”

“So you think some of your co workers might care to place a small wager on the side?”

“I’ve watched them drop an entire night’s wages on cockroach races in the kitchen. If you’ll front for me, I’ll split the take with you.”

Spike thought about it for almost two seconds. He could use the extra dosh to buy his girls something nice in the ship’s store. “What’s the plan?”

Xander reached in his front pocket and pulled out a thick wad of bills. “Here’s my tip money from the last couple nights. We’ll use this for the stake.”

Spike took the offered bills and stuffed them in his blue jean jacket. “Set me up with another couple drinks for ambiance. I’ll sit here and prepare for our little farce while you locate some marks. I mean blokes.”

He turned to the Grundy licking the now empty saucer. “Luv, you need to appear exhausted and very prissy when the punters show up, okay?”

Empress placed a paw on Spike’s knee and turned her head sideways.

“Fine. You do this for Xander and we’ll buy you a big piece of that fancy wood in the shop.”

Empress shook her head.

“Two pieces?”

She tapped his knee and snorted.

“Alright. Three pieces, but not until after the trials and you don’t let on to anyone, especially the Slayer, what’s goin’ on. Is it a deal?”

Empress wagged her tail.

Xander breathed a sigh of relief. “Thanks Empress. Spike’s right about this. It’s not a Slayer thing, it’s a Buffy thing. She just doesn’t get gambling. Willow either.”

Xander placed three empty glasses in front of Spike and an actual Scotch. He cleared away the empty saucer while Spike straightened the crooked hair bow and ran Xander’s comb through the Grundy’s thick fur. Empress jumped into his lap and settled down. Laying her head on the bar, she closed her eyes half way and sighed, immediately resembling any one of the multitude of bored, pampered Grundies they’d witnessed on board.

Spike smirked. “Daddy’s little girl is ready.” He handed Xander back his comb. “Go dig up some of your more well-heeled coworkers.”

“Be right back.” Xander headed into the backroom while Spike downed the shot and channeled his inner Oscar Wilde. He glanced down at Empress and chuckled. She oozed laziness and overindulgence. Perfect.

Hearing his chuckle, she winked at him. Xander strode back behind the bar with several demons on his heels. Empress sighed loudly as Spike raised a dissipated hand. “Barkeep, another round.”

A lone demon at a front table chugged the remainder of his beer and stood up. A swirling tattoo peeked from beneath his long sleeved uniform as he pushed through the crowd beginning to filter into the bar for the evening. He had overheard astounding information. The Slayer, hated killer of his kind, was onboard the Malfeasance.