Buffy stopped several feet past the trail head and wiped the sweat dripping down her face with the tail of her white shirt. She’d opted to wear pedal pushers and tennis shoes so she could manage the trail easily. With her blonde hair tied back in a pony tail, she looked younger, softer, like any teen from the post war years out walking her pet.

But Buffy wasn’t a normal teenager and Empress was no pampered pet.

The Slayer reached down and removed the leash and fluffy bow from Empress while whispering a command in her ear. The Grundy immediately unhinged her mouth and dropped Buffy’s favorite knife and a wooden stake at her feet.

She slipped the stake into the band of her slacks beneath the shirt and dropped the knife in the front pocket of her pants. She motioned the Grundy forward.

Leaving the marked path, they quietly stepped into the thick tropical foliage. Allowing a wide berth, they circled around, silently following the perimeter walls. Unable to turn on a flashlight, she depended on the rising moon’s light and Empress’ superior night vision to guide them both.

Reaching the midpoint of the ruined structure’s outer wall, she heard a slight rustling in the thick underbrush on her left and raised an eyebrow at the Grundy. Empress sniffed the air and wagged her tail once. Buffy waited.

Spike parted the underbrush and slipped out. He crooked his finger and they followed into the tree line, stopping behind a grove of coconut palms.

“We’re far enough away now.”

“What have you found out?”

Spike patted his pocket out of habit and scowled. At Buffy’s look, he shrugged. “They’re all in there. Hisself came in a bit ago with Aria, the two vamps and a fat Blaylock demon armed with a revolver. The steward and the rest have knives. I counted nine in all.”

Leaning over a bare patch of sand, he quickly sketched the layout. Buffy looked it over and nodded, satisfied.

“What’s the plan, Slayer?”

“I’m going in first to draw Zahn’s attention. He’s expecting me.”

“Aria’s buttoned up tight. He’s goin’ to want the bracelet before he’ll free her.”

“I know. I might even give it to him if I have to, in order to get her out of harm’s way. It’s not like he’s going to be allowed to keep it more than a few minutes. That’s where you come in Spike. I want you to protect Aria, no matter what. She’s an innocent and the most important thing in that room besides the bracelet.”

“Protect the girl. Got it.”

Buffy looked at Empress. “Once Aria’s freed, I’m going to need a diversion. You know what to do.”

The Grundy growled and her teeth shone brightly in the moonlight.

“Give me five minutes first.”

“Five minutes.” Spike leaped, soundlessly landing on the perimeter wall. Gliding to a side window, he waited in the shadows. Empress slid silently into the thick foliage that grew along the bottom of the wall and headed toward the back door.

Buffy strode through the front door.

“Hello Zahn.”

Still standing in the middle of the altar, Zahn dipped his head. “Hello Buffy. Or would you rather be called Slayer? On the Malfeasance I always preferred being called by my title.”

Wrinkling her nose, she glanced pointedly at the debris littered around the altar room. “I would have thought you’d invite me somewhere a little nicer. After all, we did share a moment once. This place looks like you forgot to pay the housekeeper.”

His eyes bored into her. “This place was once considered holy by the Hothis. I thought it fitting that it be used again by our people.”

Buffy raised an eyebrow. “So where are the rest of them? They prefer Indiana over you?”

Ignoring her question, he lowered his arms, again resembling the sardonic officer she’d met on the ship.

Glancing over her clothes, he said, “I liked what you wore the other night much better. Not only do these hide your considerable talents, it looks disconcertingly like you’re on the way to a sock hop.”

Crossing his arms, he nodded at Aria hanging from the wall. “Rather bad taste dressing for a party considering Aria’s precarious situation, don’t you think?”

“Why?” Buffy moved closer to the altar. “I thought this was the perfect outfit to massacre a bunch of demon cultists in a dilapidated church. Or do you think I should have worn a dress?”

“I’ve a different opinion on who will be massacred of course. Although I do love fencing with you Slayer, you’ll have to excuse my lack of witty repartee. At the moment, my mind is focused on one thing only. Where’s the bracelet?”

Buffy tugged her sleeve up, displaying the bracelet clasped to her wrist. “Aria for the bracelet. I believe that was the deal in that really clichéd note.”

“Roc, the moment the Slayer leaves the bracelet on the rock next to her and moves away, you may release Ms. Demaris.”

Buffy placed the bracelet on the rock and stepped a few feet away, keeping her eyes trained on Zahn. “Your turn.”

He stepped down from the altar. “Move farther away. I’ve heard stories about a Slayer’s speed.”

Holding her hands in the air, Buffy moved across the room. Zahn waited until she stopped near the door. Two of his men moved to stand next to her.

“Roc, you may release her.”

The steward pulled out a knife. He slit both the rope that bound Aria to the wall and the plastic zipties that held her wrists together. She fell to the floor.

Buffy called over to her. “Aria, go out the back way and wait there.”

At that instant a fireball arced through the air from an open window. It landed squarely on the chest of the vampire standing behind Zahn. The vampire burst into dust.

Zahn dove for the bracelet.

Roc pushed Aria toward the wall again.

Spike dove through the window and landed next to Aria. Styre raised the gun. Aiming it at Aria, he squeezed the trigger.

Spike jumped in front of Aria and the bullet slammed into his shoulder. Morphing into game face, he growled and leaped at Styre, knocking the revolver out of his hand. It clattered to the floor as he and the Blaylock grappled with each other.

Buffy started for Zahn and the bracelet, but the two followers standing next to her turned and attacked. Pulling out her knife, she deflected the thrust from one of the demons’ own knives.

Empress raced through the back door, shooting another fireball. It landed in front of a demon running to help Styre. That delayed the demon long enough for Empress to reach him. Lifting his arm, he tried to drive his knife into her back. She leaped out of the way. Growling, she circled around him. Trying to follow, he stumbled over some debris, affording her the opportunity to drive forward. She bit his leg, nearly severing it. Screaming, he collapsed to the ground. The Grundy bit his neck, finishing the job.

Spike finally got a grip on the Blaylock and twisted his neck. Styre crumpled to the ground.

Buffy kicked the knife away from the vampire on her right. Spinning around she knocked the demon on her left into the wall. Unconscious, it slid to the ground. Turning back to the vampire, she drove her stake into his heart. It burst into dust.

Growling, Empress advanced on the last two demons. They ran out the back door. She shot two fireballs through the door, hitting them both. They fell to the ground.

Spike walked back to Aria and helped her up. “Pet, are you alright?”

Still shaken, she nodded. “Thank you. You saved my life.” She touched his shoulder. It was bleeding profusely. “That looks pretty bad.”

Spike looked down. “I’ll be fine. Vampire, remember?” He suddenly smirked. “In fact I’d have to say it’s definitely not a grave situation.”

When she finally smiled at the weak joke, he patted her shoulder. “That’s a girl. See, everythin’ will be fine. The Slayer’s on it.” He called over to Buffy. “Slayer, I’ve got Aria here and she’s alright.”

“Good.” Walking over, she looked around for the Grundy. “Empress? Walk Aria down to Xander. Anyone from this group gets in your way, kill them. Aria, please tell Xander that I said for everybody to go back to the ship. We’ll be along later after we find Zahn.”

The Grundy stepped to Aria’s side.

Aria grimaced. “Buffy, Zahn’s completely insane. He thinks he’s some sort of Messiah. He plans to open a portal with the bracelet and suck the entire planet through to Samshara.”

“Guys like him aren’t truly crazy, just really evil with a generous side of stupid. But don’t worry, I’ll stop him.”

Aria nodded weakly and turned for the door, Empress beside her.

Spike scented the air. “They left through here. Probably headin’ for their boat.”

“Let’s go.” She started for the door. “What is it with demons wanting to suck the planet into other dimensions? Is there some demonic law against going through a portal without dragging everybody else along? I mean, been there, done this already.”

Walking beside her, Spike shrugged. “It’s on every evil wanker’s to do list that I’ve ever met. Find a portal to somewhere no one wants to go. Check. Open it. Check. Suck the world through it. Check.” He muttered, “At least Angelus used a big stone statue instead of some poncy bracelet. It had a lot more panache.”

Buffy ignored the mention of her ex, although she did sort of agree with Spike’s assessment. The bracelet seemed almost like a toy compared to Acathla.

She reached out and fingered his silk shirt. The red stain was growing wider across his shoulder. “I told you guns were bad news.”

His lips quirked. “And at this particular moment, I’m not inclined to disagree.”

“Should I do this solo or do you think you can rise to the occasion?”

The vampire smirked. “Always. And If I can’t, I’ll slide over to it.”

At her arched eyebrow, he shrugged. “You know I’m fine, Slayer. I’m losing blood, but nothin’ a few cups from our fridge won’t fix. Let’s get that bracelet back. I don’t fancy visitin’ this Samshara with billions of other people. I’m fairly sure a crowd that size would spoil the ambiance.”

He looked down ruefully at the vintage silk. “Besides that demon ruined Rupert’s shirt. The least I can do is kill Zahn.”

“Oh hell, Giles loaned you that shirt?”

At his nod, she grimaced. “Now we’ve got to kill Zahn, or there’ll be no pleasing him. You’ll never hear the end of it.”

Following clearly visible tracks, they turned downhill into the trees. “By the way, I like the natty fedora. Very ‘Ward Cleaver’. When I saw it, I almost expected to hear you calling ‘Beaver- You and Wally get down here right now and kill these demons and don’t forget to clean up afterwards.’ ”

“I liked June. She was a hottie. I’d do her.” He smirked at the Slayer’s raised eyebrow. “I like a woman that wears high heels and pearls while she’s cleanin’.”

Her eyebrow went higher and he quickly changed the subject. “I used the hat to hide my hair in the moonlight. You know, I had to borrow everythin’ for this decade. I didn’t have anythin’ of my own this time.”

Buffy grinned. “Translation-they didn’t wear jeans.”

“The fedora actually belongs to Clem, it’s a Borsalino.” He grumbled. “I’m probably goin’ to have to pay to have it reblocked now.”

“It’s Clem’s? Really? What’s he do with his ears?”

They came to a clearing on the beach. Zahn stood in the middle wearing the bracelet and chanting in a monotone voice. His arm high in the air, the bracelet glowed brightly.

Roc stepped forward, blocking their way. “You’re too late. The portal will open any moment. Then we’ll all experience the wonders of Samshara.”

“Sorry, Roc, but I’ve had enough vacations for awhile. Besides I didn’t pack any clothes for other dimensions. Spike, this is your fight. I’m going to stop our travel agent.”

Spike changed to game face. “It’s over Roc.”

The demon lifted his knife. “I don’t think so vampire.”

Running, Buffy reached Zahn. He had stopped chanting. Sweating profusely, his eyes were dilated. He shot her a brilliant smile. “Buffy. It’s going to be so beautiful there. You’ll love it. Just wait and see.”

“Sorry, Zahn, but the portal stays closed. I like the earth where it is. It fits perfectly in that slot between Mars and Venus.” She inched closer. “Besides, what would we do with the moon?”

An odd crackling noise filled the air as a bright light appeared, changing the night sky into day. “Sorry Slayer, time’s up. I win. You’ve no chance now.”

“I learned long ago that there’s always a chance.” She threw her serrated knife, slicing neatly through Zahn’s wrist just above the bracelet. The severed hand dropped to the ground and the bracelet immediately dulled. The noise abruptly stopped and the bright light winked out, turning the sky dark again.

Clutching his arm to his chest, Zahn screamed at her. “You bitch. Don’t you realize that I’m the true Hothis Messiah? This was my destiny. I’ve been waiting a lifetime to go to Samshara.”

“Maybe I can help with that life part.” She reached out and snapped his neck. “Okay, you’re free to go there. I just hope they like megalomaniacs, or you’re seriously screwed.”

Looking around for Spike, she noticed Roc lying dead on the ground, his knife sticking out of his chest. “Spike?”

“I’m here, Slayer. Anya will be glad to hear we paid those gits back for the demon bird.”

Buffy slipped the bracelet into her pocket. “Come on Spike, I think you need a little tender loving care.”

He ran his tongue across his teeth. “Are you applying for the job?”

“With Dargo on the mend, I think Ro would love the chance to fuss over somebody else.” She headed toward Zahn’s stolen boat.

Spike fell in step with her. “Where are we goin’?”

“There’s no sense in letting everyone on the other side of the island see you bleeding all over Giles’ shirt. Besides, my own clothes? Seriously in need of Tide with bleach.”