“I didn’t know you knew American Sign Language.” Xander looked across the table at Willow busily conversing with Dargo and Jakob.

“I was tired of French, so I took it as my language requirement this past semester.”

Dargo signed something that caused Willow to smile. She nodded and they both stood up. She turned back to the table. “I mentioned how much I love this music and Dargo asked me to dance.” She looked down at Aria. “If it’s okay with you.”

Aria smiled. “Of course. Besides Dargo knows this forties stuff isn’t really my style.” She nodded at the orchestra on the band stand. “Although I’ve got to say if anything could pull me away from punk, this might be it.”

Jakob leaned back in his chair. “Ro and I danced to it the first time around.”

She touched his hand tenderly. “Tommy Dorsey was the best.”

Willow and Dargo disappeared into the crowd on the dance floor just as Buffy arrived at the table. Empress looked up. Crooning, she wagged her tail.

Buffy smiled at the little demon. “Thanks, Empress.” She gently rubbed the velvet dress. “I feel a little like Cinderella. Thank you so much, Anya.”

“You’re welcome. When you were looking at it the other night, I said it would be perfect for you. It’s good to know I’m right.”

Buffy sat down, carefully smoothing the vintage gown. “I’m still not clear how you arranged this.”

Anya smiled. “My friend Bela owed me a couple of favors and she’s the new supervisor in the store.”

Xander looked up. “What happened to that bitch you were working for?”

“I figured out she was stealing from the shop and alerted the Captain. She got fired and he made Bela the new boss. She was so excited she even loaned Buffy shoes to match.”

Aria reached for her vodka martini and the bracelet on her wrist sparkled. It matched her dress and there was no reason not to wear it anymore. “You do look fabulous. Having your hair up really shows off the neckline. Wait until Spike sees you.”

Buffy looked nervously at Xander to see what he’d make of Aria’s offhand comment. He caught the look and to her surprise, he nodded seriously. “Buffy, I haven’t been Spike’s greatest fan in the past, but I want you to know that I think you should do what you want. If that means dating Spike, than go for it. He’s not so bad lately. And hey, taking a bullet for Aria would give any guy serious cred.”

Anya added, “He did just what the hero in a spy movie would have done, but without getting himself seriously hurt. I think spy agencies should consider hiring vampires. It would certainly cut down on their overhead, personnel costs and tax situation.”

Trying not to cringe at Anya’s idea, Buffy said, “Why Xander, you’re not starting to actually like Spike, are you?”

He grinned a lopsided grin. “He and I did some bonding on this trip.” He made an effort not to draw attention to the smirk on Empress’ face that he could see out of the corner of his eye.

Buffy smiled at her friend. “Thank you Xander, that means a lot.”

“So where is the illustrious hero? He should be here sweeping you off your feet,” Aria said.

“I’m not sure. Between falling asleep on Ro and Jakob’s couch while they took care of Spike’s bullet wound and then letting him catch some zzz’s, I haven’t even talked to him since we got back from the island. I thought I’d see him earlier this evening, but he got called to the bridge. Then I left to pick up this dress from Anya. He still wasn’t back when I finished getting ready but he left me a note that he’d meet us here.”

Aria stared toward the door and a smile crossed her face. “And so he has.”

Buffy turned to look at the door. Spike stood framed in the doorway. He leisurely scanned the crowd searching for her. The dark blue naval uniform played against his pale skin and hair. His sharp cheekbones stood out starkly in the muted light as he moved through the crowd. He caught sight of her. Meeting her eyes, he strode purposely forward.

Pushing her chair back, Buffy stood up. Smoothing down her gown, she met his eyes. Confidently, she lifted her head and walked toward him.

They met at the edge of the dance floor.

Spike smiled softly at the beautiful woman in front of him. “You’re a vision.” He took another admiring look. “That’s a lovely gown.”

“You look mighty dashing yourself.” Mindful of his still healing wound, she ran a hand gently across his jacket and touched an epaulette. “Where did you ever find a World War Two Naval uniform?”

“It’s a loan from Captain Welden.”

“Don’t you have to be in the navy or something to wear this?” She traced the embroidery on his sleeve.

“Funny story. Captain Welden just awarded me an officer’s position for savin’ Aria.”

“Really?”

Spike grinned. “Meet the new First Officer of the Malfeasance.”

She smiled with him. “Okay, but if you say anything about showing a sailor a good time, I’m going to smack you right in your wounded shoulder.”

She dropped her hand, suddenly afraid. “You’re not going to run away to sea are you?”

“Not unless you run with me.” His eyes twinkled. “Although the idea of gettin’ a really proper send off does have appeal.”

Sobering, he added, “I told him that there was this girl in port and I don’t fancy leavin’ her alone. Ever.”

He reached inside his jacket and pulled out a small box. “That dress doesn’t do you justice. Maybe this will help.”

Buffy lifted the top. Nestled inside was a single strand of the Mikimoto pearls. “Spike, these are beautiful. Thank you.”

He placed the pearls around her neck and fastened the clasp. Running a finger gently along the strand he said, “I was right the other night. Even with the pearls, you still eclipse the dress.”

He gently lifted her chin so he could search her eyes. “Buffy, I’m falling in love with you.”

She touched his face, running a finger along his cheekbone to his lips. “That works out perfectly, because I’m falling in love with you, too.”

The orchestra struck up a slow, sweet ballad as the torch singer crooned about finding new love during wartime.

Spike gathered Buffy in his arms and they swayed slowly around the floor.

When the song ended he kissed her.

They reluctantly pulled apart and she stared into Spike’s face. His eyes had darkened to the color of a stormy sea. “Let’s go up on deck. This is our last night on board and I want to see you wearin’ that dress in the moonlight.”

Buffy, still breathless from the kiss, finally found her voice. “It may be our last night on board, but it’s just the beginning.”

Pulling her close, they wove their way through the growing crowd.

At the table, a waiter placed a platter heaped with various varieties of imported wood in front of Empress. The Grundy looked them over, sniffing daintily at the delicacies before choosing a thick piece of Brazilian Satinwood.

Chewing delicately she watched her companions walk out the door.

Savoring the fresh crunchiness of the Satinwood, Empress smiled smugly to herself. She loved it when a plan came together.

The End

Chapter title credits:
Sittin’ on the Dock of the Bay-Otis Redding
Pressure Drop-The Clash
Fantastic Voyage-Coolio
Keepin’ Your Lure in the Water-Randy Travis
Beyond the Sea- Bobby Darin
Cross the Devil’s Sea-Allman Brothers
Float On-Modest Mouse
Barracuda-Heart
If I Had a Boat-Dave Mathews Band
Water Line-Brothers Four
The Devil and the Deep Blue Sea-George Harrison
Row, Row, Row Your Boat-Charles Kelly
Sailing- Christopher Cross
Swallowed by the Sea-Coldplay
Green River
Southern Cross-Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Black Water- Doobie Brothers
Come Sail Away-Styx