Author's Chapter Notes:
This is for Katriina riutta, who asked me so nicely for more!!
Chapter 3


“There you go, who’s a nice clean boy now, hmm?” Spike picked up Billy from the changing mat and rested on his head on his shoulder. Billy’s eyelids began to droop as Spike crooned softly to him while he carried him upstairs. He kissed his son softly on the forehead and lay him down in his cot.

“Night-night son, sweet dreams” Spike put the nite-lite on and left the nursery door ajar and went back downstairs. Buffy came bounding in the back door, but Spike put his fingers to his lips.

“Oh…he’s in bed already?” Buffy said disappointedly.

“He couldn’t keep awake, I’ve just put him down, he’s fast asleep”

Buffy put a folder on the kitchen counter

“I’m sorry, but it took longer at Willow’s than I thought. Tea?” Buffy grabbed the kettle and filled it from the tap.

“Not for me, thanks” Spike moved off into the lounge. Buffy bit her bottom lip. Things were still strained between them.

She went into the lounge carrying her herbal tea and the folder.

“Wesley faxed over the prophecy they’ve got from the Ars Demonicus – there a lot missing though”

“I see” Spike said disinterestedly, he was reading the TV listings magazine. Buffy was exasperated by his behaviour and she said,

“Well you don’t seem awfully bothered!”

“I’ve decided not to fret about it, pet”

“Well bully for you, excuse me if *I* happen to care!!” she could feel the tears stinging the back of her eyes.

Spike put the listings mag down and beckoned her over. Eagerly she went to him, straddled his thighs and sat on his lap.

“I couldn’t bear it if………I just want you and Billy safe, and I’ll do ANYTHING to make that happen” the tears began to fall and Spike gently moved the hair out of her eyes and cupped her face in his hands.

“I know pet…and I’m sorry………it’s just…well…it’s HIM, AGAIN isn’t it, hmm? Any bleedin’ fly in the ointment as regards us or what we do always seems to come down to him and his bleedin’ cronies and stuff…come on now sweets, don’t cry” He gave her a soft kiss and Buffy wound her arms around his neck and began to kiss him with mounting passion.

She could feel what she was doing to him and she wiggled her bottom against his hardness. Spike’s hands moved from her face, and he quickly snaked one on her back and one under her bottom to support her while he stood up

“BUFFY – BUF- ah Buffy, there you are, Willow said to come and give you…oh er sorry!” Xander came bounding through the front door without so much as a ‘bye-your leave’

“Bloody hell whelp – heard of knocking?” Spike turned to Xander angrily, his fists clenched as they dropped to the sofa cushions.

“Xand, shush, you’ll wake Billy!” Buffy clambered off Spike’s lap and took the sheets of paper he was holding out to her.

“Well, is that it whelp?” Spike demanded

“Er, yup. Oh no, um, Willow said to be sure to phone her in the morning”

“Will do” Buffy said, glancing up from looking over the new papers.

“”Well, I’ll be-“

“Yes Whelp, don’t let us keep you, bye!” Spike stood and went over to the front door holding it open.

Xander gave Buffy a quick smile, which fell from his face as he turned and left. As the door was closing he heard Buffy say,

“Really Spike, do you HAVE to be so rude to him?”

o0OO0o


Spike, Buffy, Willow, Xander and Giles were sitting around the table at the Magic box. There were books open on the table, and a notepad with writing on next to Buffy. William was in his playpen, all his toys however, were not. They were all out on the shop floor where he’d tossed them, and now not having anything more to throw, he began to get cranky.

“MA!”

“Shush Billy, you be a good boy for mommy” Buffy said absent mindedly.

“Da! Dad, Dad, Dad-dee!” William shouted

“Whassup son – oh….look at you!” Spike got up and went over to the playpen where he began to throw all of Billy’s toys back into the pen

“It’s all just, well stupid really, isn’t it?” Willow said, absently doodling on her notebook.

“What is?” Giles asked

Willow sat up straight and said,

“This Sanshu thing, I mean, why can’t there be two vampires with souls? – It’s not as if it’s doing any harm is it?”

Everybody nodded, Willow carried on….

“I mean, it’s not as if you can go round blessing vampires to make them good, or, or, or, it’s not as if the Hellmouth is going to explode if everything stays the same…”

“What’s your point, Red?” Spike asked, and then added,

“Not that I don’t agree with you…”

“I don’t know really, I just think it’s…well silly! Two vamps with souls, why does it affect the cosmos and all that’s in it?

“There you go son….now don’t you go throwing them – hey Billy – no…Billy – BILLY!”

One word from his dad, and Billy did as he wanted, and began to throw all his toys out of the playpen again.

“Why you little-“ Spike began

“SPIKE!...Just….just take him home now, will you, please?” Buffy closed her eyes and rubbed her temples, she was getting a headache.

Spike looked at his wife and nodded, glancing outside he could see that the sun was well low in the sky now, safe enough for him to leave.

“Dad..DAD-DEE!!!! William began to beat a tattoo on the playpen with Mr Ted, then he stuck the teddy in his mouth and tried to pull the leg off!

Spike grinned at his son’s antics, scooped him up out of the playpen and said;

“Come on then Billy-boy, let’s get you home eh? I bet you’re hungry, well daddy’s going to cook you some pasta, hmm? Would you like that eh? Would you like some pasta?” Spike kissed his son’s cheek. Billy pulled the teddy bear’s leg out of his mouth and said,

“Dada!” Billy said beaming. Spike’s heart melted and he kissed his son’s cheek again, then blowing a raspberry on it making his son giggle.

Addressing the others seriously Spike said,

“Something isn’t right here, something is way off, and I wish I knew what, BUT I’ll tell you something I DO know, I’m not leaving this earth, this plain or this time – I’ve got too much at stake, if you’ll pardon the pun, but I’m not leaving my Buffy or my son, for ANYTHING!”


ooOOoo


“Are they fighting each other yet?” The demon, who called himself ‘Steve’ cloaked in a pleasing human form turned on his seat to face his blonde companion.

Harmony shifted on her barstool and said,

“Well, they always fight, I mean they always have – they fight over everything, especially Dru, coz like, she was Spike’s girlfriend, but Angel was with her first, then Spike came along and was all like soulful, well not soulful, being a vamp an ‘ all, but-“

“HARM-ony!” The demon stopped her prattling with a tight little squeeze on her forearm.

“Ow! Harmony frowned and rubbed her arm Don’t be so rough! I bruise easily!” Still frowning she sucked on the straws of her cocktail, draining it noisily.

“Okay, look I’m sorry – I need something to tell the boss…like are they taking this ‘Sanshu’ thing seriously?”

Harmony put the martini glass down and nodded towards it

“I’ll have another…”

“Harmony…” Steve began

“Look, Steve…what’s the rush, hmm?” She turned to face him fully, putting her hand on his cheek. She continued,

“We have all night – we can have a few more drinks here, then I thought we could maybe go on to a club…pick ourselves somebody to eat…go back to my place…” Steve removed her hand from his face and said,

“Please Harmony, give me something to tell the boss”

“Then can we do as I suggested?”

“Yeah, sure anything you say!” – Wondering how she’d take it when he showed her his real form and wanted to put his reproductive organ where her ear was………

“Good….make this one a large one!”