Author's Chapter Notes:
I'm so sorry for leaving this story hanging for so long. Those of you who have been reading my other stories know that I decided to take a break with this one until I had finished Healing. Now I have. Of course, I'm not sure I even have any readers left, seeing how it's been more than four months since I updated this. But if you're still with me, please take a moment to let me know if I should continue. Oh, and thank you so much for the nominations!
liesbanner



20



“Seriously, pet, s’not funny.” Spike rolled his eyes when Buffy didn’t seem to agree. Instead she just kept giggling.

“You’re right, sorry.” Buffy finally stopped giggling and gave him a soft smile. After eating lunch together at a small diner, they had decided to take a walk back to Spike’s house, both of them in a mood for some fresh air. Somehow, they had ended up in the bedroom and were now half lying comfortably on the bed, just snuggling and talking. She went on; “But you have to admit; Billy’s got an interesting way of seeing things. In a way, he’s got a point.”

He let out a snort. “Right. Whenever there’s a problem, a divorce is the answer to everything.”

It was now Buffy’s turn to roll her eyes. “That’s not what I meant, and you know it.” She paused for a moment. “Spike, I like you. A lot, actually. I like Billy as well. And this...” She gestured at the two of them on the bed. “...is really nice. But the fact remains; we still haven’t known each other that long. Don’t get me wrong, but there’s always a possibility things won’t work out.”

Spike nodded. “I know.” He was quiet for a moment. “I didn’t plan for this to happen, Buffy. When I left LA, I had my mind set on starting a new life here, just me and Billy. The thought of falling for another woman so soon, or at all...” Seeing how Buffy opened her mouth, he quickly went on; “Well, things don’t always turn out the way you plan, and in this case, I’m glad. What I’m trying to say is...” He looked her deep in the eyes as he continued; “I’m falling for you, Buffy. God help me, but I am. And I wouldn’t want it any other way.”

Buffy found herself melting at his words, feeling it, too. She was falling as well, and hard. A part of her was still surprised by the fact that she already felt so strongly about a man she was just starting to get to know. But for the first time ever, she had decided to just follow her heart, and it felt good. In fact, it felt better than good. It felt great. And to hear that Spike felt the same way, well, it made her feel like the luckiest woman in the world.

Hesitating for a moment, Spike went on, knowing he had to make her see what was on his mind; “Don’t take this the wrong way, luv, but I am a bit older than you. Not by much, but still. The way I feel when I’m with you...” He swallowed, lowering his eyes. “Guess I just need to know if you’re ready for this. Know I don’t have the right to ask you for anything, and seeing how I’m still technically married, you have no reason to...”

He was cut off as Buffy leaned in to brush her lips against his, stopping him in his ramblings. Then she pulled back, looking him straight in the eyes. “Spike, are you ready for this?”

Giving her a startled look, he finally nodded. “Think so.”

“Good.” She was unable to keep the relief out of her voice. “Me, too.” A pause. “I know I’m still young, and I don’t really have much experience. I mean, I’ve been with guys, but I’ve never really lo...” She glanced away, suddenly embarrassed. “I’ve never felt this way before. When you kiss me, I feel like I’m flying. My heart is beating really fast and I’m having a hard time breathing. It’s scary, but at the same time, I don’t want the feeling to go away. Ever.”

Suddenly he felt like crying, wondering what he could possibly have done to deserve her. Buffy could easily just as well have been describing his own feelings, and he found himself wondering when he had last felt that way before he met her. Had he ever had such intense feelings for Drusilla? He thought he might, at least in the beginning, but he wasn’t sure anymore. And it made him both sad and hopeful at the same time.

Maybe there was still a chance for him after all, a chance for both of them. Maybe this time, things would be different. For the first time, he actually allowed himself to start hoping. And it felt good. He reached out a shaky hand towards her face, gently stroking her cheek. “Know what you mean, pet. Promise I’ll do whatever it takes to keep it that way.” His eyes locked on hers, he gently lowered her back on the bed, watching her face for some sign that she wanted him to stop.

It didn’t happen. Instead she just smiled at him; wrapping her arms around his neck and hugging him close for a moment. Closing his eyes in relief, Spike happily leaned in to her embrace. He kissed her hungrily, and she eagerly responded by parting her lips slightly, allowing their tongues to meet. Then he pulled back a little, giving her a questioning look as their eyes met. Without a word, Buffy pulled his black t-shirt over his head.


*~*~*


Meanwhile in LA...

Warren Mears hesitated only for a brief moment before pushing the door open and entering the small hospital room. He had been a medical intern at the hospital for almost a week, and so far, his work had mostly consisted of changing wet sheets and fluffing pillows. It infuriated him, as he considered such a humiliating task to be beneath him. He had always known he was way better than this.

He knew he wasn’t allowed to wander around at this particular part of the hospital by himself; the patients here could be most unpredictable and in some cases even dangerous. But he couldn’t help himself; he was curious. Curious, bored, and right now, feeling quite rebellious. In fact, it gave him a rush, knowing how the stuffy, bitchy nurses would have a fit if they caught him here.

Closing the door quietly behind him, he waited a moment for his eyes to adjust to the darkness in the room. The blinds were down and the lights were off, and he cast a glance at the empty bed. Then he spotted the woman standing by the window, and froze in his tracks. She was standing with her back towards him, and he found himself taking a step back, reaching behind him for the door handle.

Having been convinced that the patients staying at this ward would be too sick, or too out of it, to be able to leave their beds, he had been taken off guard. Maybe he shouldn’t have come here after all. Then again, she had yet to notice him and he could just slip out of the room again like nothing happened. As he moved to do just so, the woman by the window suddenly spoke, causing him to jump.

“The stars are beautiful tonight, don’t you think?” She was still facing away from him, her long, black hair falling in waves down her back.

Frowning, Warren’s eyes moved to the dark blinds, covering both windows in the room. Then he remembered what kind of place this was. “Yeah. Um, you’re absolutely right.”

The woman turned around, and his eyes widened in shock as he got a good look at her face. He had imagined all mental patients to be ugly looking and repulsive, even grotesque. But this woman was neither one of those things. In fact, she was absolutely beautiful. Stunning. And her eyes... Warren swallowed, suddenly feeling an almost desperate urge to move closer. He took another step into the room, his eyes never leaving her face.

She tilted her head to the side, watching him closely for a moment. Then she let out a soft giggle. For some reason, the sound made him think about humming birds. “You are new.” It was a state of fact.

Warren was surprised, not to mention amazed, at how lucid she suddenly seemed. He nervously ran his tongue over his dry lips, his expression one of complete awe. “Yes,” he managed to croak out, then cleared his throat. “Um, my name is Warren. Warren Mears. I – I’m a medical intern.” He regretted the words as soon as they were out of his mouth, knowing that he could easily have lied and claimed to be a doctor. That would have made him seem a lot more important.

“Yes, you are.” She nodded, slowly starting towards him.

Warren neither could, nor wanted to back away. Instead he just stared at her with big eyes. He gulped as she stopped, just a few feet away from him. “What – what’s your name?”

“Hm.” She just looked at him for a moment, then closed the gap between them and put her hand on his cheek. “Sometimes, I can’t remember. They make me forget. Forget who I am. Isn’t that rude?”

“I...” Her hand was cold as ice against his skin, and he found himself shivering. But it wasn’t a total unpleasant feeling. “I guess so. But...” His eyes landed on the name tag on her white nightgown. “Look. It says your name is Drusilla.”

“Drusilla...” Her eyes lit up as she smiled. “Yes. It feels right. I will not forget again.”

“That’s... good.” Warren felt strangely happy about being able to please her. Somewhere at the back of his mind, a little voice was telling him that it was probably time to leave. But he refused to listen. This was by far the most exciting thing that had happened to him since he had started working here at the hospital. And he was eager to keep talking to her. He paused for a moment before he went on; “Um, you said they make you forget. Who are they?”

At first, she didn’t answer. Then she let out a soft whimper, like she was in pain. “He has all of them fooled. My sweet prince has taken my baby. The stars are crying blood, turning the ocean red, but no one will hear them scream.” A single tear rolled down her cheek.

“Sounds... awful.” Warren swallowed, hypnotized by the sight of her tear. “Is – is there anything I can do?”

Drusilla’s smile returned, although this time it didn’t reach her eyes. Warren never noticed. She nodded. “There is.”


TBC


Chapter End Notes:
The chapter's betad by Tammy. Thank you! :)