Author's Chapter Notes:
I really wish that if you're reading, please just take two seconds to let me know. I know a lot of people don't realize just how much a simple comment mean to the authors. Right now, I feel like only five people out there still enjoy this story. To iamghost, cordykitten, Lacey Marsters, spuffy and Pam S - thank you so much for caring enough to leave me a review for the last chapter! *hugs*
liesbanner



28



Buffy couldn’t help but giggle when she checked the phone and realized it had been Spike who called when she was in the bathtub, just like she had suspected. He really was predictable. Quickly dialing his number, she smiled as she waited for him to pick up.

However, her smile faded and turned into a pout when it didn’t happen. Was it possible that he had already gone to bed? But if that was the case, surely the ringing of the phone would wake him up, especially since he should expect her to call him back. Suddenly, she got the strangest feeling that something was seriously wrong. Although she quickly dismissed the thought, telling herself she was being ridiculous.

Lost in her thoughts, Buffy let out a startled shriek when there was a sudden knock on the door. She frowned, wondering who could possibly be coming at this hour. After all, it was almost midnight. Her heart was starting to beat faster. She had seen enough horror movies to know that nothing good would ever come from opening the door this late at night.

Maybe there had been an accident. Oh God, what if something had happened to Spike? Horrifying images started playing up in her mind. But when the door bell rang a moment later, she snapped out of it and rushed to open the door before Billy would wake up. A young man she had never seen before was standing in front of her, a polite smile on his face.

He must have seen the confusion on her face, because he immediately spoke up; “Hi, sorry to bother you.” Letting out a nervous laugh, he went on; “It’s just that my car broke down, and I wonder if I could just come in and borrow your phone?”

“Um...” Buffy hesitated, looking over his shoulder and spotting a large, black van, parked on the street outside. The uneasy feeling was back. Didn’t everybody have cell phones these days? She forced a smile. “No offense, but it’s really late and I have a kid who’s asleep upstairs. Besides, I doubt you’ll find a mechanic who’s working this late.”

“Oh, I know.” The man paused for a moment, and he suddenly seemed at a loss for what to do next. Casting a look over his shoulder, he then turned back to Buffy. “I was just gonna call my dad and ask him to come pick us up. My girlfriend’s waiting in the car.”

“I see.” Buffy sighed. “Look, I don’t mean to be rude, but...” She was cut off as the side door of the van opened and a dark-haired woman stepped out. There was something about her that seemed a bit off, but Buffy couldn’t quite put her finger on it at first. Then it hit her. She was wearing a jacket that looked to be about three sizes too large, and something that looked like a white nightgown. Also, she was barefoot.

Buffy’s eyes widened in alarm as the woman walked up on the porch, coming to stop next to the man. “Wait a minute... What’s going on?”

The man ignored Buffy and turned to the other woman. “Um, Drusilla, I thought you were supposed to wait in the car.” He glanced at Buffy, somewhat nervously.

It took a moment for his words to sink in, mostly because Buffy refused to believe it at first. Then she stared at the woman in shock as realization was finally starting to hit her. “Did he just call you...?”

The woman – Drusilla – gave the man a look of disapproval, then turned to watch Buffy with interest. “I got tired of waiting.” She tilted her head to the side. “Such a pretty girl. Don’t you agree, puppy?”

Warren swallowed. “Sure.”

“You’re Billy’s mother?” Buffy felt like her head was spinning. “But you’re supposed to be...” Her voice trailed off as a thought occurred to her. “Does Spike know you’re here? Where is he?”

“How would I know?” A cold smile was starting to spread on Drusilla’s face. “Aren’t you going to invite us in?”

Buffy stared at her in disbelief, then let out a snort. “Okay, I’m gonna list the reasons that’s not gonna happen. One...” She grabbed the door handle in a tight grip, intending to close the door in Drusilla’s face, but the man reacted fast and slipped his foot in between, making it impossible for her to close. Before her mind had registered what was happening, he grabbed her by the arm and pushed her inside.

“What the hell are you’re doing, you freak?! Let go of me!” At this moment, Buffy was more angry than afraid. “Get out of here, both of you, or I’ll call the cops! You can’t just barge in like this...”

“Be quiet, or he will hurt you.” Drusilla gave Buffy a warning look as she stepped through the door, closing it quietly behind her. “I have no interest in you. I’m here for my boy.”

“What?” Buffy shook her head in exasperation. “You’re crazy, you know that? Seriously, if you don’t leave right now, I will call...”

“You will do no such thing.” Drusilla then let out a pleased squeal as Warren quickly stepped behind Buffy, picked up the cordless phone from the table and let it slip down in the pocket of his jacket. She giggled madly, clapping her hands together.

“Want me to lock her up somewhere?” Warren looked around the room, his eyes landing on the closet next to the front door. “Keep her from intervening while you get the boy.”

“Oh, don’t even think about it!” Buffy glared at him, furiously. Then she looked at Drusilla. “You’re not getting anywhere near Billy, or I swear to God...” She gasped in pain and shock as Warren slapped her right across the face.

“Just shut up, bitch, or I’ll gag you!” He let out an annoyed sigh. “Get the kid, Dru. Really wanna get out of here.”

“Yes.” Drusilla’s face lit up, and her eyes darted around the room. She gave Buffy an expectant look. “Where is my son?”

Finding herself trapped in the corner, Buffy was starting to panic. This woman might be crazy, but Buffy didn’t for a moment doubt that she was serious. She had come here to get Billy, and it was obvious that she wouldn’t willingly leave without him.

It was all starting to make sense to her now, although the realization made her skin crawl. Drusilla had found out where Billy was, and more importantly, she had somehow managed to leave the hospital. With a sinking feeling in the pit of her stomach, Buffy realized that she was the only one standing between the boy and this disturbed woman, who happened to be his mother.

She didn’t even wanna think about what would happen to Billy if Drusilla managed to get her hands on him. Remembering all too well what Spike had told her about his wife and how she had hurt Billy in the past, not to mention the fact that Billy was clearly terrified of her, almost made her weep in despair. Right now, the situation seemed hopeless.

Buffy swallowed, hard. “He’s not here,” she lied. “He’s spending the night at a friend’s house.”

Drusilla’s eyes narrowed, but before she got the chance to say anything, Warren spoke up; “The bitch is lying. Kid’s upstairs sleeping. She said so when I first got here.” Buffy silently cursed herself for her stupidity.

“Is that right?” Drusilla looked pleased. Then her eyes turned cold as ice. “Watch her.” She started for the stairs.

“Billy!” Buffy shouted the boy’s name at the top of her lungs, praying that he would hear. “Lock your door and don’t...!” She was cut off as Warren clapped his hand over her mouth.

“Thought I told you to shut up!” He glared at her as Drusilla disappeared up the stairs. “She’s gonna get her son, and then we’ll be out of here. Don’t make it any harder than it has to be.”


*~*~*


Ignoring all speed limits, Spike stepped on the gas, one single thought in mind. He had to get back to Sunnydale. If Drusilla would hurt Billy again, he would never forgive himself. He cursed loudly when he realized he had left his cell phone back at the motel – now he had no way of contacting Buffy and warn her about the danger.

Speaking of Buffy, Spike was afraid for her as well. There was no way of knowing what Dru might do to her, considering how Buffy would be the one thing standing in her way. Maybe he should just stop somewhere and find a phone. But then he would lose precious time, and right now, time was a luxury he couldn’t afford.

Then again, if he would call the police, there was a chance they might get to his house in time to stop Drusilla. Quickly going through his options, he then made up his mind. He would stop at the next open diner or gas station, make the call and pray it wouldn’t be too late.


*~*~*


Leaving the spot on top of the stairs where he had been hiding for the last couple of minutes, watching the two intruders – one of them being the one person he feared more than anything – in horror, Billy quickly rushed back into his room before his mother would see him.

He had woken up at the sound of the door bell, quietly leaving his bed to see what was happening. When he had first spotted his mother downstairs, he had almost been convinced that it was just a bad dream. Surely, she wasn’t really here. But when Buffy called out for him, he quickly decided that he wasn’t willing to take the chance to stay and find out.

Now he locked his door, his heart beating wildly in his chest, and ran over to the window. If he could get out that way, he might be able to get some help. His dad was not home, and it was clear to him that the man downstairs wouldn’t allow Buffy to help him. Right now, he was on his own.


TBC


Chapter End Notes:
Thanks to Tammy for betaing!