Chapter Thirteen:

Buffy heard a sickening crack and looked on in horror as Angel stumbled back a few steps and blood began pouring from his nose. He seemed stunned by the professor’s sudden act of violence. Spike just stood there looking deceptively calm, fists clenched in front of him, waiting for Angel to retaliate. He didn’t have to wait long before Angel raised his blood-spattered face and reared back his fist. Spike didn’t hesitate, one swift punch to the stomach, one swift punch to the jaw, and Angel was laid out on the floor. Faith had been watching the scene unfold from the other end of the bar, fascination plastered on her countenance.

“Holy shit! That was awesome! Your new name is Professor Badass!”

Spike gave one last look at Angel’s prone body and glanced back at Faith. “Thanks… I think." Turning towards a group of male students loitering near the door, “Mates, would you mind dragging this git out of here and shoving him in a cab?” The students stood there blinking in shock. “Oh for god’s sake! Get over it! School’s out for the bloody summer!” At that, the students jumped to attention and scrambled over to Angel’s bulky frame. He regained consciousness as they pulled him off the floor but still seemed rather disoriented. “Might want to tell that cab to swing by the ER. Thanks, mates.” Spike leaned back against the bar and tilted his head towards Buffy. “You all right, pet.”

Buffy’s mouth opened and closed. Spike turned to fully face her and reached out one hand, placing it over her own on the bar. “Luv, you okay?”

“Huh…yeah…huh? I mean, yeah…yeah, I’m…okay…you totally kicked the crap out of him! I mean…”

Spike chuckled, “S’all right, pet. He had it coming.”

“Yeah, he kinda did.” Buffy shook her head. “I just…I just can’t believe what a bad judge of character I am.”

Spike squeezed her hand. “Don’t be so hard on yourself, luv. I’m sure you were just blinded by his massive forehead.”

“Oh! Shut it, you! Seriously, I thought he was this really nice albeit somewhat boring guy…and I thought you were a total asshole. It turns out I was completely wrong on both counts.”

“Not completely wrong, pet.” He smiled. “I can be a bit of an asshole sometimes, and I think it’s safe to say Captain Forehead is just as boring as ever.”

Laughing softly, Buffy asked, “So is school really out for the bloody summer?”

“I have meetings through Thursday, then I’m done until August. Well, with the exception of a few functions throughout the summer that I’ve committed myself to.”

“So, what are your plans for your time off?”

“Mmmm…don’t know. Probably visit my father in London for a couple of weeks. Mostly, I write during the summers,” Spike smirked, “ though I plan on spending my fair share of time with a cute little blonde I met, if she’ll have me.”

Buffy ducked her head and blushed. “Soooo, you’re a writer?”

“Yeah, actually—”

“Yo, B, you’re gonna have to mack on Sexy another time. I need you to deliver some drinks for me.”

Buffy rolled her eyes, “Sorry, guess we’ll have to continue this later.”

“Speaking of that, do you want to swing by my place when you get off work tonight? I don’t have anything lined up at school until noon tomorrow. Maybe we can watch a movie. I make a mean bowl of microwave popcorn.”

“Yeah, that sounds great, I’d love to.”

“Great,” Spike maintained eye contact as he lifted her hand to his lips and placed a small kiss on her knuckles, “I’ll see you then.”

Buffy stared at Spike’s back as he exited the pub. He kissed me. So, it was just on my hand, but…he…kissed me!

“Go ahead, squeal, I know you want to.”

Buffy glared at Faith. “I so do not.” Yeeeeeah!

~BSBSBSBSBSBSBSBSBS~


Spike glanced at the clock for the tenth time in the last half hour. It was after 2am, so he knew that the bar was closed and Buffy would be arriving soon. He had taken a short nap earlier to recover from the lack of sleep the previous night. He had an ulterior motive for inviting Buffy over so late. He was hoping that he could persuade her to spend another night in his bed. Maybe she’ll let me hold her tonight. She did crawl all over me when we were sleeping. God, she felt so good. Drusilla was never one for cuddling. I was with her for so long, I guess I didn’t realize what I was missing out on. Buffy. That’s what I was missing. Granted, she was around ten years old when Dru and I started dating. Hmm. The sound of the intercom buzzing broke through his reverie. With a puzzled expression, he walked over to it and pressed the button, “Yes?”

“Buzz me in!”

“All right, luv, but why aren’t you using your keys.”

“Oh! That’s gonna take some getting used to.”

Spike buzzed the building door open and waited in the living room for Buffy to come up. A short time later, she entered the flat, knocking on the door as she pushed it open. “Knock, knock.”

“Hey there, luv. Come take a seat. I imagine you’ve been on your feet all night.”

Buffy entered the living room and took a seat on the couch next to Spike. She took in his relaxed, faded jeans and ripped black band t-shirt. “So, tonight you’re Uncle Punk Spike.”

“How’s that?” Spiked look at her with a curious expression.

“Well, the shirt is pure punk but the jeans and lack of eyeliner scream Uncle Spike to me.”

“I see. Well, I like to think of this look as Lounging About the House Spike.”

Buffy nodded, “I can see that.”

“So, pet,” He gestured towards a shelf on the wall with the television, “why don’t you take a look at my DVD collection and tell me if anything tickles your fancy.”

Buffy got up and walked over to the shelf. She immediately noticed that Spike had very eclectic taste. There were classic films, blockbusters, thrillers, documentaries, British comedies, and oddly a couple seasons of Knight Rider. Buffy decided not to question it. She studied the films for a moment longer before plucking a DVD from the shelf. She handed it to Spike.

Spike glanced at the film in his hand before looking up at Buffy with a surprised expression. “Fight Club, luv?”

Buffy gave him a cheeky grin, “Well, I figured we should keep to the theme of the evening.”

Spike rolled his eyes, “Very funny, pet. Just let me know if you have any more blokes you want me to beat on.” He stood up and walked over to the DVD player and inserted the disc. “I’m going to pop some popcorn, luv, be back in a sec.” While Spike was milling about in the kitchen, Buffy took the opportunity to get a closer look at the paintings on his walls. They were all abstract, painted in primarily red, gray, and black. The more Buffy stared at the one next to the television, the more details she picked out in it. It looked like a woman stepping into a pool of blood. Buffy squinted her eyes. Or maybe it’s just a blob next to a blob.

Spike walked back in the room holding a large bowl of popcorn. He observed Buffy examining one of his paintings. He sat the bowl on the coffee table and walked over to stand by her side. “What are you thinking, luv?”

“Oh!” Buffy had been so lost in the artwork that she was startled by Spike’s voice. “I really like this painting, Spike, I was wondering if you knew the artist.”

Spike hesitated, “I do.”

“Oh, well, I’d love to have a piece, maybe you could introduce….” She trailed off as she noted Spike’s uncomfortable expression. “You know what, nevermind, I’m sure these paintings cost more money than I make in a year.”

“It’s…it’s not that, luv. These were actually given to me. I just…the artist’s name is Drusilla Rayne. She and I had a very long, very tempestuous relationship.” He put his hand on the back of his neck. “I really try not to seek the woman out these days, though I always seem to come running when she calls upon me.

“Oh, I see.” Buffy looked down, feeling unreasonably jealous of this Drusilla Rayne. She was clearly a talented artist and was undoubtedly older and more sophisticated than Buffy. And Spike had just indicated that he would go to her if she asked him to. Buffy knew it wasn’t fair of her to expect to take the place as the center of Spike’s world. Though Angel slept with her the night he met her, Spike had yet to even put any moves on her. He was older than her, more intelligent than her, and established in his career. Really, she didn’t have anything to offer him at all. When did I let myself get so wrapped up in this guy. She knew if she didn’t push these thoughts from her head, she wasn’t going to enjoy the rest of the night. So, she tugged Spike over to the couch and pulled him down with her. “Hey, you said something about being a writer earlier.”

“Ah, yes,” Spike was relieved by the change in subject, “I have several books of poetry published, quite popular in the UK. That’s actually where the bulk of my income comes from.”

“That explains how you’re able to afford this place.”

“Well, partially, my family is actually fairly well off. I had a trust fund that opened up when I turned 21.”

“Hey!” Buffy exclaimed snapping her fingers. “Why didn’t my parents have a trust fund for me! I know they have the money.” She paused and thought for a moment. “I guess I know that they would help me out if I ever asked them to, but I’ve really been trying to make it on my own since I moved to the city.”

“That’s a good policy, luv. Builds character.”

“Know what else builds character?”

“What’s that, luv?”

“Eating popcorn and watching Fight Club.”

Spike chuckled, “That sounds like a hint if I ever heard one.” He picked up the remote and pressed play. Sitting the bowl of popcorn in his lap, he settled back on the couch and allowed himself to be drawn into the movie.

Over the next couple of hours, Buffy managed to move close enough to Spike that she was pressed up against his side. The popcorn was long gone and Buffy’s yawns were getting louder and louder. As the credits rolled, she stretched, “Mmmm…it’s so late. I better get home to bed.”

Spike glanced at her furtively, “You know, you’re welcome to stay here…I mean you seemed to sleep really well last night…and it’s already so late...”

Buffy smiled, “Well….if you wouldn’t mind. I really did sleep well. I’d been having nightmares at my place, but not a one here.”

Spike let out a breath he didn’t realize he’d been holding, “Great, that’s great. So, I’ll...uh...just get a blanket and crash out here.”

“Or…” Buffy bit her lip shyly, “we could share the bed. I mean, it’s really big. I don’t mind if you don’t mind. Is that okay?”

“Yes!” Spike’s voice broke. “I mean yes, I don’t mind sharing.”

The pair took turns in the bathroom getting ready for bed. Spike was kind enough to pull out a spare toothbrush for Buffy. He really rather liked the look of it in his holder. Buffy slipped on an over-size t-shirt Spike lent her, and Spike put on the pajama pants that Buffy had worn the night before, figuring she wouldn’t much appreciate him sleeping in his preferred state. They lay down together, and with one last smile at the beautiful girl in his bed, Spike turned out the lamp and plunged the room into darkness.


Chapter End Notes:
So, Spike and Buffy are still dancing around one another, but I bet one of them will break soon. I'll try to keep with the frequent updates if you want them!