Author's Chapter Notes:
I love irony. That's all I'm saying.
Reunion

Buffy sat between her sister and her lover. The plane was about to take off from the New York airport, and she stared out the window, watching the darkness pass by quickly. That now-familiar knot in her stomach tightened as they left the ground.

Spike let her squeeze his hand as her anxiety built then started to diminish. "It's alright, pet. Fairly sure we won't be diving into the ocean." She looked at him and tried her hardest to fake a smile. It didn't work. Spike put an arm around the Slayer's shoulders.

"C'mon. We're fine. Never met someone who hates flyin' as much as you."

Dawn looked back from her window seat. "This is so cool." Then she saw her sister's face.

"Don't worry. This is the last one, then we're there." She held Buffy's other hand.

They were on their second night of travel due to one delay and a Vampire who had a little trouble flying when the sun was shining.

As with the previous two flights that had taken them to New York, when the pilot's voice announced the distance to travel and the height of the plane, Buffy's grasp on Spike eased.

The flight itself was not the problem; it was the taking off and landing parts. Once they were in the air or back on the ground, she was fine. Buffy looked at the aisle across from her. There sitting in a row were Xander, Anya, Willow and Tara.

It had been interesting to see how quickly the group arranged the trip. Anya put a notice in the Sunnydale paper that the shop would be closed due to a family emergency, but that 'all your shopping needs can be handled by visiting their new and improved website'.

Xander's almost perfect work record had allowed him to save up exactly five weeks of vacation. His boss had been none too happy with such short notice, but Xander had easily found someone willing to act as the foreman for a month.

For Willow and Tara, time off wasn't too much of a problem. Willow's parents, although absent, had been paying most of her living expenses since she entered collage. Neither girl worked at the moment.

The in-flight movie just had to include Chevy Chase. "I'd rather watch 'Interview with a Vampire'," Dawn proclaimed with sarcasm.

The stewardess hit on Spike at least ten times, not that Buffy was counting, while offering the group beverages. Halfway through the flight, everyone was asleep but Spike and Buffy. They were trying to figure out how to convince The Council that Spike was good and should not be staked. "They already know I'm chipped, luv," Spike shrugged.

"Yeah, well I still don't think they are going to be all that happy that they paid a Vamp's way to come to Vampire Slayer Central." Buffy sipped her water. "Maybe with Giles's help..."

"Rupert can tell them, but I don't think it'll make a bit o' difference." Spike looked at the small blonde. "It's your word that they'll need. Not his or mine."

Buffy nodded in agreement. Spike took the blanket from the overhead compartment and laid it over the Slayer. "Now get some sleep. Everything will be fine."

Buffy yawned. " 'K." She leaned on his shoulder and was asleep minutes later.

Spike watched her sleep. The rise and fall of her chest, the slowing of her heartbeat, her eyes moving back and forth quickly behind closed lids. She was fully asleep. With a sigh he laid his head on her hair and drifted off.

~~`~~

Spike walked through the forest. The sun shone down on him and warmed his skin. The odd part was that it didn't seem to cause flames to form on his flesh. Still, he tried to keep to the shadows created by the foliage.

"Where the hell am I?" he asked no one. Trudging forward along a narrow dirt path, he called for anyone.

Birds chirped and the smell of wildflowers surrounded him. The light winds blew the leaves and brush, making a crackling sound. Spike took in the daytime that he had only experienced once in his undead life. He walked slowly, trying to find someone.

"Hey! Where the bloody hell am I?" His duster billowed in the breeze as he moved forward. "Anyone here?" A growl came from behind him, and he quickly turned.

There, standing not a foot from him, was a woman. Not just a woman, a Vampire. Her auburn hair was in disarray. Her pale skin seemed to glow with a familiar hum. She was wrapped from head to toe in skins of beasts that in no way could be considered earthly.

"I have been looking for you," she said in a low hiss.

Spike's stance was a familiar one. Nonchalant. "You have, have you?"

"You are the one we have looked for. The one who was lost."

"Not lost. In fact, I believe I have already been found, pet." He felt his pocket for the smokes he had brought on the flight, but they weren't there. 'Oh, yeah. Dawn took 'em after I set off that soddin' alarm on the last plane.'

"The change has begun." She swayed slightly and drew her hand to her heart. "Soon you will be with us again."

~~`~~

Spike jolted awake and shook the dream from his head. The sun was beginning to peek from the horizon. "Buffy, I gotta get below." He shook her slightly until she began to rouse.

"Huh?"

"I gotta get out of the light. Sun's comin'." Spike stood up.

Buffy looked around. There wasn't a clock, but it felt like two, maybe three in the morning. Not dawn. A faint orange was glowing through some of the open binds of the passenger’s windows. "I must have slept longer than I thought."

Spike shook his head and bent down to plant a soft kiss on her forehead. "No, luv, it's the time difference. Mornin' here."

She gave herself a mental duh. "Where are you going to go?"

"Luggage compartment under the plane. I'll find you or Giles once the plane is around some decent shade." He squeezed her hand. "No worries. Not the first time I've had to stow away on a plane."

She watched him disappear behind the curtains of first class. A couple of hours later she woke to the sun beating through the window and Dawn screaming, "Spike!! Oh, my God, we forgot about the windows!"

Buffy grabbed her younger sister's shoulders. "It's ok, Dawnie. He had to go below to get out of the sun. It's ok." Dawn calmed down just as the stewardess came to check on the commotion.

"Is everything ok?"

Buffy looked at the young woman. "Fine. She just forgot where she was is all."

The stewardess looked at the now-vacant seat. "Where is the gentleman who was sitting here?"

"Bathroom," Dawn lied quickly.

The woman nodded and set out back to her work station to prepare for landing.

Once the plane landed and the circulation returned to Dawn's hand from her sister‘s grip during landing, they departed the plane. The stewardess stood there to thank the passengers for flying with them, and she was also hoping to find out just how attached the blonde man with the penetrating blue eyes was to the blonde woman he sat with.

He never came out.

~~`~~

"Where was Giles going to meet us?" Willow asked as they stood at their gate.

Tara looked around for the familiar patriarch of the small family. "He said he'd meet us here, but maybe he's at the baggage terminal." She started out with Willow following.

"We'll go look," the blonde threw back as the couple walked away.

Buffy, Xander, Anya and Dawn stood by the chairs looking at the crowd of faces. None was Giles's.

~~`~~

Giles was in line outside of the airport in the van The Council had loaned him to pick up the slayer and her party. The darkened windows were a blessing, although The Council had very few vehicles that did not have tinted windows.

The retired Watcher looked on as the plane landed and taxied down the pavement of the landing area to a stop. The retractable bridge connected with the plane so that the passengers could depart the plane. He kept watching as the luggage was put none too carefully into the carts hitched to a small vehicle.

When the young man walked back to the driver's seat, a bleached blonde, black clad figure leapt from the plane's open compartment, careful to stay under the plane that provided ample shade from a deadly sun, and hid himself inside the cart, pulling several large bags over him. Giles shook his head and chuckled softly to himself. "And yet, she still had them pay for a ticket."

He was finally able to pull ahead and parked his automobile.

~~`~~

Willow and Tara walked back to the waiting group, still with no Giles. "Are you sure you told him the right time, Buffy?" The redhead asked.

"9:45. I even remembered to convert the time. Well, Spike did it, but I know I told him..."

She stopped talking when she saw the man who was more of a father to her than her own had been. "Giles!" She ran to him, Dawn close behind. The Slayer threw her arms around him and squeezed.

"W-well...I do say, Buffy. I see your strength hasn't lessened," He said, slightly embarrassed and trying to breathe.

"Oops. Sorry, Giles," she said, releasing her grip on the man, and took a step back.
He smiled down at her. "It's quite all-oomph."

The young brunette held him tight, but without the force of a superhero. "We missed you sooo much, Giles."

He returned the hug, patting Dawn's back. Buffy watched the two with a sad smile. They really had missed him.

Xander and Anya walked hand in hand to the gathering, Willow and Tara stood next to Buffy, watching as Dawn released Giles and stood clasping her hands.

"G-man," Xander said as he held out his hand. Giles looked a bit confused at the young man's hand. Then he took it and hugged Anya, congratulating them on their wedding. Tara and Willow both took turns hugging and greeting him.

The group headed to the luggage pick-up and waited for their bags to begin to flow in from the small door covered with curtains.

~~`~~

Spike crawled unceremoniously from the cart when it stopped. He checked to be sure the man's back was turned as he slipped in through the employee entrance. He was careful to keep out of sight. Airports were nowhere to be out of place anymore. Excuses that you 'got lost' or were 'looking for a restroom' just wouldn't work in this day and age.

After trying what had to be the twentieth door looking for a way either out of the building, or into the waiting areas, he finally found one. There, all waiting by a luggage terminal, were the Scoobies, including the Watcher. Their backs were to him.

He walked up slowly behind the teenager and stood quietly for a moment. "Well, if we’re just gonna' stand here and wait, can I 'ave my cigarettes back, Bit?"

Dawn squealed, happy to see that Spike was, in fact, not dust, and handed the Vampire his smokes. "Next time, no smoking in the bathroom." She grinned with her chastisement.

Spike gave her his infamous 'yeah, right' look, and pocketed the cigarettes. "So, Watcher, you got any idea why we're really here?"
Buffy stood by Spike and looked at Giles for an answer. "As far as I know, they are being upfront. They wish to measure Buffy's strength and growth compared to their notes from their visit to Sunnydale."

Spike believed that was all Giles knew, but he in no way trusted The Council's motives.

Neither did Buffy or the rest of the group, but whatever it was, it was important enough that they were willing to do whatever they had to do to get Buffy here.

The bags started flowing through the small door, and Xander proceeded to haul the bags to the cart he grabbed from against the wall. Spike stepped up and helped. Giles watched in wonder as the two seemingly young men filled the cart. Buffy watched Giles' surprised face and smiled.

Although the rest of the group had watched the slow transformation of the Vampire's status from unwilling ally to friend, Giles had only seen him help from a direct request, never purely because he should help. "It's ok, Giles. You can close your mouth," Buffy stated in a whisper.

Giles, having been unaware he was staring, promptly closed his mouth.

The cart was quickly filled to the top with suitcases and bags. Xander tried to pull the overflowing carriage to no avail. "Ok, I know you had to pack the weapons, but how many pairs of shoes have you got in here, Buffy?" Xander said, straining.

"No weapons, Xander...and I don't think twelve pairs of shoes is unreasonable for a month."

"I brought fifteen. Oh, and my costumes," Anya chimed in to defend her friend.

"Costumes?" Dawn asked.

"You're too young," Willow spoke to Dawn, while giving Anya the evil eye.

Xander dropped the handle and gave up. Spike snickered a little and patted Xander on the back once before pulling the cart easily towards the exit.

The overhang shaded the area enough for Spike to help load the maroon van. The group settled in their seats, Dawn next to Giles in front, Buffy, Xander and Spike in the middle row, and the three remaining ladies in the back.

The van bounded through the lines to exit the lot and entered the busy streets of England. Spike was glad to see that not only were the windows tinted, which helped a little, but that Rupert had also set a large blanket on the back seat.

The Vampire wrapped himself in it for protection with just his face peeking out so that he could converse.

Giles drove smoothly down the streets that led into London's center. "So, Buffy, tell me. If Spike was stowing away, why did you have The Council pay for a ticket?"

"Only hid for a few hours, once the sun was showin'," Spike explained.

"I see."

Buffy watched as everyone drove on the wrong side of the road. Funny, that's what mom said she always did. "Maybe I should get my license here," she giggled. "I'd fit right in." A few chuckles were heard from her friends.

She shrugged the idea off and continued watching the buildings and homes go by. "Where are we going first, Giles?"

"Offices of The Council of Watchers."

They drove on through London. When they finally pulled to a stop, they were in front of a small church. They all peered through the window to see a lavish, yet small, steeple with a cross firmly planted at its top.

"Bloody Hell."


Chapter End Notes:
I want to give an extra shout out to cordykitten and Pet for reminding me to mark Akoshta as finished, cuz I spazzed and completely forgot.