Author's Chapter Notes:
As you will read, my vision of The Council is way diff than the show's, but hey, that's what fanfic is for.
Into the Breach

The group continued to stare at the small neighborhood church. Spike's mouth had yet to close. Giles looked at the Vampire. "A necessary evil," Rupert laughed quietly to himself at the oddity of directing that particular statement towards this particular being.

He opened his door and walked around the car to help gather everyone for the interesting trip to their destination.

"Buffy," Spike whispered. She was just about to hop out and stopped to look back at him.

"I'm just wondering, how much about us those Watchers should know," Spike said motioning to the church.

Buffy thought about it, watching her friends gather in front of the building. "Nothing. Not yet." She looked again at her love. "I don't think they knew a thing about the prophecy, or they would have tried to stop it, and I don't want to get into that with them. Not now."

Spike nodded, covered his head with the blanket, and ran to the church behind his Slayer.
The crowd gathered in front of the church's entrance. Spike pressed himself as close to the building as possible without actually touching the outer walls, taking what little shade there was in the mid-afternoon.

Buffy walked up to Giles and looked over the group. "Don't say anything about Spike and me. OK?" Everyone nodded.

Giles stood in front of the group and tried to explain quickly. "Each of you must place a hand on the door and allow me to bless you with this." He held up a small vial of what was obviously holy water. Dawn, Buffy and Spike all let their eyes widen. "This building is a church, but once the blessing takes place, when you walk through, you will be in the entryway of the Council's Headquarters."

Buffy looked back over her shoulder to Spike, who nodded. She looked back to Giles. "Let's do it."

They each laid a hand on the door. Giles took a moment on each while wiping their brows with a small cloth, and recited a few words in Latin too quietly for even a Vampire's ear to understand. When he got to Spike, he stopped. "It's thrice blessed."

"If you're trying to talk me outta this, you're gonna have to do a better job 'en that." Spike clenched his fists as his brow hissed while Giles blessed the Vampire.

The trained Watcher stepped back and added. "Spike, we of the Council invite you." Then Giles opened the doors of the house of worship. They saw the neatly lined pews and a few parishioners, whose heads never turned to see the newcomers.

Giles walked in first and disappeared through an invisible barrier. "Cool!" Dawn exclaimed, and followed.

Willow and Tara shrugged and stepped through. Then Xander and Anya. Buffy looked over at Spike, his forehead now healing. She placed a hand on the burns and caressed him softly. "You ready for this?"

He looked at her hand and took it from his face, lacing his fingers through hers. "Are you?" She shook her head no, and the couple walked through the barrier.

The moment they crossed the threshold, the shapes and colors that made up the church entrance melted together then reformed. They were standing in the lobby of a building.

The doors they had come through were mirrors from the inside. All showed a reflection but Spike.

A slightly overweight man with dirty blond hair, dressed in a green and black uniform stating 'Security' on the silver circular badge with a cross etched in its center, sat behind the large desk directly in front of them. The man looked from the newly arrived group to the mirrors behind them, then back again.

A moment of realization hit him. "Vampire!" and a stake was quickly drawn.

His training had told him that in case a Vampire ever came in, a stake in the heart would dispatch the vermin. In the Council's history, this had never happened before. The man stood there screaming "Vampire!" over and over again, forgetting it was his job to get rid of the peroxide blond standing within the group.

In a few seconds, a group of ten or so men came from a hallway to their left. All were dressed like the man behind the desk, who was still repeating himself. The Scoobies were surrounded.

Giles stepped forward and addressed the guards. "I am Rupert Giles and this," he said, gently coaxing Buffy from her protective spot in front of Spike, "is Miss Buffy Summers."

The guards lowered their weapons in awe. Buffy noted her apparent status in this place. She decided her course of action.

She turned back to Spike and motioned for him to step forward. He did so tentatively but stayed behind Buffy. "This is Spike, AKA 'William the Bloody.' You will in no way harm him. The Council wanted everyone here that I consider vital to my long life. He is one."

She stared down the guards as a voice came from the hall that they had.

"Miss Summers, you have our word. Nothing will happen to the Vampire in these walls."

They all looked to see two men. One was Quentin. The other was a young skinny brunette.

"Mr. Travers." Buffy nodded in greeting. "You wanna tell the guys in green to back off?"

Quentin motioned, and the guards headed back the way they came in. Quentin walked towards the group huddled together. "Although, I am a bit surprised," he stated eyeing the Vampire who stood behind the Slayer for protection. An odd sight indeed. "We wish you to be comfortable while you stay here. If the Vampire is, as you say, 'vital' then he should be here." He finished with obvious distaste.

The younger man hung back and studied the Slayer. She truly was beautiful. Her picture, as they say, did not do her justice. She seemed so small and yet had so much power.

Spike watched the man looking over his love. Suddenly ripping the man's head from his neck seemed like a wonderful idea. A low growl rumbled in his chest. Buffy looked back and noted the direction of his stare. When she looked at the younger man, a new Watcher she supposed, she found the man's eyes glued to her chest. She reached behind her and grasped Spike's cool hand to reassure him.

Giles and Quentin greeted each other with all the politeness the moment required, then the Head of the Council of Watchers turned to Buffy, who quickly released Spike's hand. "I am very glad you could see fit to visit us here." He motioned around the lobby. "I am sure we can provide some interesting new techniques for your training, and we will finally have some information that may lengthen the lives of Slayers to come." Though that was in no way his intention.

The young man stepped up beside his mentor and quietly cleared his throat. "Ah, yes." The older man laid a hand on the younger's shoulder. "Randall Thornton will be seeing to your needs, Miss Summers." A small chuckle came from the Vampire as he muttered "Go Randy" under his breath. If there is something you require, please tell him. He will also be keeping a record of our findings during your visit."

He began walking down the hallway, on the right, opposite to the one the soldiers had come, and motioned for them to follow. Randall walked behind Quentin closely, looking back often at the Slayer.

"I'm sure your witches will enjoy our 'Spell Casters' library," Quentin stated.
Willow answered uncomfortably, "I don't practice anymore." The older man did no more than nod. "But Tara does." He nodded again.

Quentin continued talking as he led the group past doors and halls. "And there are many children here." He looked back to Dawn. "Many will be excited to meet the sister of the Slayer." He turned down another hallway.

Buffy whispered to Giles, "How big is this place?"

Giles looked down to her. "I have yet to see all of it." Buffy shook her head quickly. It had to be huge.

The rest followed quietly taking in the decor. It was simple. The walls and ceiling were a soft cream color. Mirrors were strewn on the walls every ten feet or so. A simple red carpet covered hardwood floors the length of every hall they passed or walked along. There were portraits of women hanging on the walls between the mirrors. Some ladies were bejeweled, some were in rags. All ethnicities were represented. The clothing styles varied to show time and origin.

Spike came to a stop in front of one. Buffy, Giles and Willow stopped behind him. He looked up at the well-painted portrait of an Oriental girl. Her long black hair was braided and hung over one shoulder. "What is it, Spike?" Buffy asked.

Spike raised a finger and pointed. "Her. She's the first one." He looked at Buffy, then to his feet. "I killed her. She was the first of the two I killed." They read the short inscription on the bronze plate: "Slayer 1898- 1900." There was no name.

The rest of them had stopped and walked back. Dawn grasped his hand. "Past. Remember, Spike. It's the past."

For the first time in more than a century, Spike felt guilt for his past, and it wrenched him.

Buffy clasped his other hand and looked into his blue orbs. "Past."
Spike looked into her hazel eyes. His only reassurances in this world were these people. The Summers girls.

"Past," he said. Then stared at Mr. Travers, who was eyeing the small group, uncomfortable with the affection the Slayer gave this beast. "Well, on with it." Spike pointed down the hall, and Quentin started out with the group in tow.

Randall waited for them to pass. He had noticed the apparent affection for the Vampire, and a well of jealousy opened for a woman he had yet to even speak to.

After two more turns, and a good 100 portraits, their guide came to a stop in front of a large sliding metal door. "These are the living quarters for the residents in training here and any family they have been approved to bring."

He slid the door open and before them was a large community gathering area. There were chairs and couches strewn all over the commons. There were groups of teens, small children, families, and friends in all directions. Behind the residents were rows of doors a good twenty stories up. It was an apartment building, but not outside. All was contained.

In a moment, Buffy understood why all of the people trained to know all there is to know about the demon world were clueless. They were sheltered from the truth. If the only way in and out was the church entrance, she guessed these people didn't get out much.

Quentin walked past the people staring at the newcomers. Tara and Willow held hands and followed him slowly. Dawn looked over at the crowd of teens looking at her.

Amongst them was a young man who stood and smiled at her. His hair was only a shade or two darker than hers. She smiled back.

Spike watched the young man, and, with the same protective instinct he always had for the girl, he pulled her gently in the direction of the building. Giles, Buffy, Anya and Xander walked slowly through the crowd of eyes studying them.

They were led to an elevator and stepped in. The elevator was also mirrored, and Dawn was fascinated with looking from the mirror where her hand held nothing, then to her hand holding Spike's. "That is weird." Looking up to Spike she asked, "How do you get used to it?"

He shrugged in answer.

"Well, it would bug me."

Randall listened to the jibes. Maybe he had gotten the wrong impression about the Slayer and the Vampire. Possibly it was the teen he had interest in. If so, not only was the Vampire disgusting, but the Slayer might be open to...well, he wasn't sure. Five minutes of the lovely blonde's time would be a blessing.

The lift came to a stop, and they walked along the balcony. They were easily seen by everyone below as they walked along to their quarters. Quentin stopped in front of one door. "All of your belongings will be brought in shortly. Please settle yourselves in and get some rest. If you would like something to eat, the ice boxes are stocked with an assortment of food."

He pulled several key cards from his pocket. "This room has been selected for the ex-demon and her husband." He handed Anya a key and kept walking as the two entered their residence for the stay. "This one is for the ladies." He handed Willow a key and walked to the next door.

"Can I access the Internet from here?" Willow asked timidly.

Randall hung behind to answer "There is a phone line, but if you wish for a more efficient connection, it can be arranged."

"Thank you." Willow smiled at him and used the key. He nodded and arrived to the rest of the group just as Dawn and Buffy were handed their key. Buffy looked back to Spike and entered with Dawn.

Quentin turned back to Giles and Spike. "I was unsure if you wanted to stay here while the Slayer did." He spoke to Giles, who had every intention of staying here, as much as he loathed the idea. "But I would request you do so until he," Quentin motioned towards Spike, "has left."

Spike chuckled. Even with the chip these people didn't trust him. He looked down at the people staring up at him. They were looking at him as though they knew what he was.

Some of the children were pointing up at the ceiling, so Spike looked up. "Soddin' Hell."

The mirrored ceiling showed nothing standing in his place as he looked up at it.

Giles heard the Vampire and looked up as well. Then he looked back to Quentin. "I was planning on staying. We can share a flat as well." Quentin handed him the last of the key cards and left them to settle in.

A few minutes passed. A gentle knocking came through the wood door. Buffy hopped up, hoping it would be Spike. "Hey," she said, smiling as she opened the door, then saw Randall carrying two suitcases. Three more were sitting by his feet. "I believe these are yours."

Her smile faded, but only slightly as she picked up three of the bags by their handles. She took one suitcase from Randall, who apparently had never seen a Slayer before. His mouth was ajar in wonderment at her strength.

"Well, are you going to bring that one in?" Dawn asked from the couch against the wall, her feet propped on the coffee table. Randall didn't know what she was talking about for a moment, then remembered the weight in his hand and walked in. The suitcase was handed to the Slayer, who went back to her room.

"Is there anything else you require?" he asked.

Dawn popped up. "Cable would be nice." She had already tested the TV.

He looked at the young brunette. "I'm sorry. Television is strictly censored here."

"Figures." She stood up and went down the short hall to her room. Buffy came out of hers, directly across from her sister's.

He was taken aback again. What was it? He couldn't tell. She mesmerized him.

Buffy walked up to him. "Randall?"

"Yes," he said softly.

"Do you like having eyes?"

He was brought out of his trance. "Wha-what?"

Looking him in the eye so there would be no misunderstanding as to her meaning she continued. "If you like your eyes where they are, you're gonna have to learn to keep them off my chest. Got it?"

Randall was lost. Had he been..? No...Unseemly... "I do apologize, Miss Summers." And with that, the man practically ran from the room.

Spike sauntered through the open door. He had heard the young man's voice and stayed out of sight. He smiled as he walked in, shutting the door. "Where's the Nibblet?"

"In her room."

The Vampire smiled and pulled her close. He brought his lips to hers and kissed her slowly. She pulled him closer, and her soft growl filled his mouth. "Cor. Did I tell you I love it when you do that?"

"A few hundred times." She pulled him back to her.

"See. That's why we shoulda told them," Dawn whined. "You do know what this is like for me, don't you? When I found out mom and dad had sex, you know?" She visibly shook herself.

Buffy's nose scrunched up.

Spike looked at Buffy's face, knowing whatever mood had been there was lost. "Hey, Dawn, why don't you go make friends?"

Dawn stared at the couple. 'Ok, maybe they deserve a little time alone.' She stood up and walked towards the door. "There was that cute guy down there anyway."

"Wait!" Both blondes yelped just as Dawn closed the door.

Buffy rolled her eyes. The couple let go of each other. "Oh well, from what I've seen of the guys brought up here, he won't even be able to make conversation."

"S'not conversation you need to worry about," Spike pointed out, and they headed out of the door.

~~`~~

Quentin sat at his desk. The wall behind him was filled with small screens, generally not used and usually hidden behind a false wall. On it he watched the ex-demon and the brunette she had married in their bedroom 'breaking in' their temporary bed. The redhead and her lover were unpacking and arranging items they had brought, stopping only briefly for kisses here and there.

Rupert Giles sat at the dining table, using it as a desk, and was looking through his demonology books, making notes every so often.

He switched the monitor to the Slayer's quarters. There in the middle of the living room were the Vampire and the Slayer. They were looking at each other and talking. Then the two left.


Chapter End Notes:
Evil, bad, norty voyeristic Quentin.