Author's Chapter Notes:
First off let me say I had no intention of updating until Monday. I had decided on a romance/ James Marsters movie weekend. In other words anything from Never Been Kissed (no James) to Haunted Hill (2 minutes of James).

This month, it’s kind of an anniversary for me. See, a year ago I left my schmuck of a husband. I could go into detail but I wont. He was quite plainly not kind and fighting demons that despite numerous rehab stints, he could not beat.

I have 3 amazing kids that I could not allow to be subjected to this so, marriage was no longer an option. All I can honestly say is that I gave him every chance to better himself and supported all he could do from rehab and meetings to medication. Unfortunately for my family, my ex-husband was more dedicated to his demons.

*please do not send notes telling me how wrong I was for this or how strong I was. This is simply background*

Tonight I’m watching P.S. I love You. Of course my reason for obtaining it is, James. Even with dark hair he’s super sexy and too adorable for words. And after crying through the whole movie, some happy cry and some sad I realize that we all chase this impossible love. Women, and men alike. The idea might be different. Guys want a chick who maybe understands their need to play Quake 3 until bed and women want a guy who will watch the kids till she’s done with work, but we all want that dream. To find that fantasy mate. Who takes our shit and still looks into our eyes and sees someone amazing.

I know, I’m being corny and possibly mopey but the damn movie did it. So… here’s to my idea of an impossible love story.

I wrote this series while still married and full of hope of a happy ending. An extra chapter. For all who are reading I appreciate you taking the time. To all who are also reviewing, you’ve really helped me get through a difficult anniversary and I cant tell you how much that means.
Revision of the Rules

Willow was emptying the last of her bags while Tara arranged her clothing in the drawers of their shared dresser. "My disks?"

Tara stopped moving the clothing. "What, sweetie?"

Willow took the last of her belongings from the large suitcase. "My disks, they aren't here." She went through her drawers, then the small desk in the shared bedroom. "I know I packed them."

Tara followed Willow out the door and into the living area. "You're sure?"

Willow continued looking around the apartment. "I'm positive. I made sure to bring a few blank ones in case we needed to keep any records." She continued going through the apartment. She checked under furniture, in the small kitchenette. The plastic case that held her programs, saved information and the blank disks was no where in sight.

Tara tried to help. A terrible thought crossed her mind. "Do you think the Council went through our stuff?" She looked back at her lover, whose face twisted with worry. "I mean, I think I have all my spell books, but they're probably basic compared to what they have in their libraries."

Willow thought. It made sense. "Most of those disks are encrypted. I'm pretty sure they won't be able to crack them."

"Did you bring any of the 'Akoshta' information with you?" Tara asked, now very worried.

Willow shook her head. "No, I really didn't see a reason to. Plus, why chance it? You know?"

She was still pacing through the few rooms in their temporary home. "I just...they shouldn't take my things."

Tara held one of Willow's hands. "I know, baby." She looked out through the only window in their home. "Maybe we should go out there. We might find out if looking through luggage is a normal practice for newcomers." Willow nodded and the two walked out and onto the balcony just in time to stop Spike and Buffy before the lift's doors shut.

They jogged across the balcony and entered the small area with their friends. "Are you guys missing anything from your luggage?" Willow asked when the doors closed.

The two blondes looked at each other, then back to the redhead. "Vampire," Spike answered. "Travel light." Willow remembered Spike's one black case and nodded. She waited for Buffy to answer.

"I haven't unpacked. Why?" Buffy asked concerned

"All of the disks I brought are missing."

The doors opened and they filed out, Spike motioning 'ladies first.' "Well, Red, is there anything we need to be afraid they'll find?"

The group headed for a vacant area with four plush chairs and a couch. "No, most of it is research from school last year. I wanted to get a heads up on a few classes for next year and was planning on reviewing some stuff. Some are blank, and a few have demon research notes on them. Nothing dangerous, but still, it's the principle." She crossed her arms and pouted a little.

Spike sat on a chair across from Buffy. Willow and Tara took the couch adjacent to both. They looked around the large gathering area. The walls here were the same nondescript color of cream the rest of the building's walls had been. One large difference was the green carpeting.

Small groups were still gathered in corners and at tables. Games of chess were played at tables set up for that purpose. There were several doors that lead to other recreational areas, all with signs above them. One read Cricket, another read Fencing. Three others read Tennis, Rugby, and Football.

Buffy stopped at football and looked over to Spike. "I thought rugby was your football?"

Spike smiled. "Football is soccer, luv."

"Oh. Duh." Buffy looked over the large area for her sister. She found the girl talking with a young man about her age among a group of teens. In all reality, it looked more like Dawn was talking, and the boy was too scared to move or talk. She watched as her sister crossed her arms, and then walked towards the familiar faces.

The teen took a seat next to Spike and began berating the minds of all men involved in the Council. "I thought Wesley was bad. Can't these guys talk to any girl they aren't related to?" She looked around. "Where's Giles?"

Spike pointed towards the upper levels of the building within a building. "Didn't take him long to get all set up with books. He's up there reading."
Dawn slumped back. "What about Xander and Anya?"

Spike and Buffy shared a knowing glance. They hadn't bothered anyone on their way down, but Spike shared with Buffy what he had heard coming from behind the door of the newly married couple. "They're busy, Bit."


Dawn looked at him in confusion, then understood, and smiled.

"Dawn?" a young girl asked in a French accent from behind the couch. The group turned to see a raven haired teen. She was a few inches shorter than Dawn and seemed nervous.

Dawn smiled to the girl. "Yeah?"

The girl took time to look at each of the faces, but seemed to study Spike. "Some of us were going to go play cricket. We have a scheduled time every Sunday." Her feet shuffled a bit more. "I...we were wondering if you'd like to join us?" The girl motioned to the same group Dawn had just walked from.

"I've never played cricket," Dawn answered truthfully.

The girl looked back at the group who were all watching her. "We could show you. It's really fun, and maybe you could, um...tell us...you know, some stories?" She looked back at the group again, then to Dawn and her family.

Dawn looked to Buffy for permission. After a quick nod from her sister, she hopped up.

"OK, but I'm really not all that into sports. It'll probably be more missing than hitting. OK with you?" The girl nodded and smiled at her victory. The dark haired girl led Dawn back to the group. They soon disappeared past the doors marked Cricket.

~~`~~

Quentin sat in his office, enjoying the show the newlyweds were putting on for him. The screen flickered with the naked bodies of two lovers. "Creative," he spoke quietly to himself as he watched them switch positions yet again.

A knocking came from his door, and he pressed the small button hidden under the arm of his desk's chair. The false wall slowly descended, covering the screens as they faded.

"Come in."

Randall walked through and took the now familiar chair in front of the desk. "They are settled. The girl has joined Michelle for cricket. The Vampire, the Slayer, and the Witches are gathered in the main recreations area. I believe that Mr. Giles is still in his room, as are the ex-demon and her mate."

"Very well. And the disks?"

Randall shifted nervously in his seat. "Most are blank, or have information of no use to us, but there are a few that are encrypted. I am not sure our computer experts will be able to crack them. They were already complaining. I think the redhead must be some kind of computer genius. Even Fredrick said he's never seen anything like it."

Quentin sighed. He may have to rely on the cameras to read the information directly from her laptop while she was in her room. It was not what he wanted but apparently his only option. "Tell Fredrick to work through the night. If he has nothing by morning, we will return them."

Randall nodded. He brought out a notebook filled with instructions and notes. He flipped through them quickly and jotted a few words down.

Quentin stood and walked towards his door. Randall followed him out and to the living area. After entering, the commons became quiet, as it had before. Quentin smiled to the room and walked to the Slayer. "Miss Summers."

The small gathering looked up at the aging man. "Yes, Mr. Travers?"

"I wanted to tell you your schedule."

Buffy's brow rose. 'This should be good,' she thought.

"While here you may patrol, but your days will be filled. We will need to start immediately." He sat beside the young woman and continued. "I believe we will start with stamina. Possibly some strength evaluations." Quentin's gaze settled on the Vampire. "If you are willing, Mr.-"

"Spike," the peroxide blonde cut him off.

"Spike, then. We have never had an opportunity to evaluate a Vampire. Not a willing one, anyway." Quentin clasped his hands over his knees. "Would you be willing to allow us to, while we do so with Miss Summers?"

Spike quickly opened his mouth to protest. But then the idea of Buffy being gone all day, alone with these ponces, made him change his mind. "Sure. I'll do my part for the team."

"Very well." Quentin began to stand. He looked back at the two women sitting on the couch. "Do not forget, we have a wide selection in our libraries. Demons, spell casting, and I understand from Randall you wish to be able to use the Internet?" he asked Willow, who nodded, wondering if he would admit they had her property.

"It will take some time to install the new connection, but we have several in the libraries' communal den. They may suit your needs until then." He walked away and out into the Watchers' main building.

A few minutes passed. More than a few voices could be heard gossiping about the new arrivals and their Vampire. They sat uncomfortably, knowing all eyes were on them. Giles strode in and stopped at the gathered Scoobies.

"Hey, Giles," Buffy greeted him.

He stood by her chair. "I gather you are settling in?"

Buffy shrugged. "I feel like were on display, but yeah, I guess."

Giles set a hand on her shoulder and looked over his adopted family. "It will take a time. Most here have never seen the Slayer, and none of them have seen a Vampire here."

He looked over at Willow. "May I borrow your satchel, Willow? I left my larger case at my flat, and I would like to get a few books to look over." Willow took her satchel off and retrieved a few items from it before handing it to Rupert. "Thank you." They watched Giles as he walked out.

The murmuring started up again. The conversations were all about her, Spike, even the idea of a witch and an ex-demon in their midst was too much not to talk about it. "This is getting ridiculous," Buffy said as she stood and looked back again over the small crowds of people. All turned away as she scanned the room.

She cleared her throat. "Excuse me. Could I have your attention?!"

Willow became frantic. "Buff, what are you doing?"

Buffy looked to her best friend. "If they want something to talk about, it might as well be facts and not stories they have heard." Buffy looked back at the crowd, whose full attention she did have now.

"Hello," she began. "My name is Buffy Summers. Is there anyone here who doesn't know who I am?" No one answered. "Is there anyone here who has not heard of William the Bloody, or Spike?" A few hands went up. "He is a very powerful Vampire, he has killed two Slayers, and has been..." she wanted to choose her words carefully, "given a chance to fight the same evil he caused. In no way will he harm a human being."

She scanned the room, hoping her words sunk in. "I know that all of this goes against what you all have been told. It does not change the old rules; there are just a few revisions. Are there any questions, because lemme tell you, gossiping, it's rude."

The room remained silent. Spike stood up and walked to Buffy's side. "I think what she's tryin' to say is, if you aren't willing to ask whatever questions you have, we'd appreciate you stop talkin' about us all."

The people in the room looked at each other, wondering if anyone would ask anything. A timid hand rose from the back. Buffy motioned to the person who slowly walked forward.

The woman who stepped up was in her early 30's. "Please, miss, we aren't trying to be rude by any means. It's just that, you are the Slayer. How could you befriend one of those?" She pointed to Spike. Spike took a step back; the mental slap had hurt more than he'd expected.

Willow and Tara looked uncomfortably at each other, not sure if this was the best way to approach the situation.

Buffy was angered but tried to hold it at bay. These people had never heard or seen anything but the evil in a demon. All demons. Just as Giles had. She wanted to approach the subject and be as honest as possible. "I can tell you what I have seen." She took a breath. "I have met two Vampires in my six years of Slaying that I found myself laying my own life on the line for. One was Angel," a few gasps were heard, "formerly Angelus. He was given a soul and it changed him. He now works in LA with the help of humans to fight Evil."

She took Spike's hand and pulled him back up beside her. "This is Spike. You may also know of him as William the Bloody, as I said before. Several years ago he was implanted with a chip by a secret government project called the Initiative. This chip will not allow him to harm any living being. He has been fighting at my side, and has risked his life for mine, my friends and family for more than three years now."

She let go of Spike's hand. "Other than these two exceptions, I will dust any Vamp that's thrown at me. Any other questions?" Another hand was raised, and a young blond man stepped forward. "Is it true you died...twice?" To this Buffy simply nodded. Another hand raised, then another, and another. It seemed the tension had been broken, and people took turns asking about demons, witches, Vampires, and the people who fought beside the Slayer.

Buffy explained how the original group of Willow, Xander, and then Cordelia formed.
How Oz joined shortly after. The school's demise. That Angel and Cordelia were in LA now. How the Initiative had plans to use demons. That Spike was chipped and how he slowly integrated into the Scoobies. Oz left and found a way to control the wolf.

She told of the Key, leaving out who it was, and Glory. What it was like to come back from death.

More than two hours passed during the question and answer period. Slowly the people went back to their own business, having been placated with details on rumors heard for years. Dawn had returned about halfway through, and joined her sister while answering a few questions of her own on what it's like to have a Slayer for a sister. Her answer was simple. "It's like knowing that no matter what, you'll be safe."

When Giles came in, he noticed the small gathering had grown. It now included a few Watchers in training, some of the youngsters, even a few small children.

Overhead a bell rang. The people aware of its meaning bid the group good- bye and headed towards the lift. Buffy, Spike, Willow and Tara just sat and watched as everyone scrambled to the elevator. Giles strode to them. "It's the evening bell. Time to head up to the rooms."

"Are you serious?" Buffy asked.

"Quite. The schedule here is strict."

Buffy's shoulders slumped. "I thought I was going to be able to patrol?"

Spike stood up. "I wanted to have a look around, as well. Haven't been back in years."

"Where is that Randall guy?" Buffy looked around the now empty area. Then she stood and headed for the large metal door.

"Buffy!" Giles warned just as the door started closing. Spike watched as she quickened her pace to beat the closing door and took off after her. Both slipped between the crack just before the hatch sealed itself.

Giles shook his head. "This is not going to go well," he sighed and turned to the young women. "Come on, Dawn, I'll see you to your room." He walked with Tara and Willow to the lift, and wished them good night as they entered their apartment. He made sure Dawn was able to enter hers, then headed for his own.

Spike and Buffy stood just outside the large sliding door. "Luv, how're we gonna get back in?"

Buffy stared at the silvery reflection in the door. "We'll have to find someone, I guess."

"Quite the planner."

"You came, too. So don't get all cocky."

Spike raised an eyebrow. "With that restriction, I might as well go back up with Rupert."

To that, she turned and headed down the hall. Spike shook his head and followed. She came to a stop when the hallway came to a T junction. "Do you remember where we came in at?"

Spike peered to the left, then the right. "We go left here, but, Buffy, exactly how are going to get out?"

"Damn," Buffy whispered. "Maybe the mirror doors? We need someone to show us the way out."

"Randall?" Spike asked. Buffy took off to the right with Spike close behind. They wandered the maze of hallways. There were still portraits of women lining the walls with mirrors thrown in intermittently.

The two seemed to walk for miles, trying to find someone, anyone who could show them the exit and how to use it. There was no one. All of the halls looked the same. The only markers on their journey were the faces that watched them from the frames.

Spike looked every so often, wondering if he would come across his second Slayer, or possibly the one that got away. Suddenly the pictures changed. "Buffy." He stopped and pointed.

"Oh, wow." The two gazed at the portrait of a man. He was fairly thin, a moustache above his lip, and spectacles resting on his nose. They read the plate identifying the man.

"George Carlton, Watcher 1847-1901"

"Hmph." Buffy stepped back and headed back in the direction they had come.

He stood looking for a moment, and it hit him. They had a name, and a heck of a lot longer 'activation' period. When she was gone...she would be no more than a year under a portrait.

He ran to catch up with her. "Buggers! The lot of them."

She was silent so he continued. "

Nothing more than a title and a picture. It's soddin' stupid you ask me." She kept walking, head down. "You'll have something that no other Slayer had, though." She looked up expectantly. "A past."

She stopped and looked at him curiously. "What do you mean?"

He stepped up to her and wrapped his arms around her. "Buffy, you have family, and friends who know. None of those others had anything more than what their upbringing and Watcher gave them. You have love from people who shouldn't give it to you. Rupert...me."

A smile slowly took over the frown, and she leaned up to kiss him. He happily accepted the gesture, but soon the unrequited passion of both took over. "Buffy..."

Again that growl welled up inside her. He pulled her closer and her arms slid under his duster, up the back of his shirt. Her nails raked his back on the way down to the waist of his pants.

Spike let his hand wander under her shirt, letting himself feel the hot skin. Skin he burned to kiss, touch. Suddenly Buffy pulled away from him. Dazed, he swayed as they both held each other up. She was blushing slightly. "Forgot where we were," Buffy explained.

Spike, who was almost able to stand without help, looked at her hungrily. "We need to find a way outta here."

The couple hesitantly continued down the halls filled with Watchers' faces. It was as much of a maze as the others had been. Spike held an arm out and halted their movement.

"What?" she whispered.

"People up ahead." Spike nodded his head in the direction the noise he heard was coming from.

Buffy was confused. "We're looking for people, remember? Getting out? Alone time, kill the bad Vamps. It was the plan, right?"

Spike held a finger to his lips, and walked slowly and as quietly as he could. He turned a corner and continued. The door from which the noise was coming from was slightly ajar.

He motioned to the Slayer, and she walked up beside him to peer in. There amongst several computers, papers, and books was the small plastic red case Willow used to store her disks. The two watched as an old overweight man typed in something.

"Fredrick, you have to crack it by morning," a familiar voice called from out of line of sight. "He needs whatever you can find. We need to know if she knows." Randall's voice called out. "All of those Diaries, all the information she had could clue her into something that he had no intention of her finding out." The voice got closer to the door.

The two blondes scrambled back down the hall a bit and hid around a nearby corner.

"Exactly what am I looking for here?" Fredrick asked.

"You aren't looking for anything but a way to crack that code. If you do, you alert me, and I will get him. Understand?"

"Yes, sir."

They heard the door close and footsteps coming closer. There was no way out.

Randall came around the corner and headed down towards the living quarters. As he disappeared down another hall, the Vampire and the Slayer dropped from the ceiling. They had used their own strength to hold themselves up between the walls. "I really hate him now," Spike growled.

"C'mon" They followed Randall silently through the twists and turns of the Council's headquarters. It was a much shorter walk when you had someone leading the way. Soon they recognized their surroundings as very close to the living quarters. "Randall," she called.

The young man turned and was shocked to see the two behind him. The Vampire seemed angry. What if they had been following him? No, he would have been able to tell with all of his training. "Miss Summers, Spike. Why are you out here? Didn't you hear the evening bell?"

Buffy looked to Spike, then to Randall with confusion plastered on her face like a Doublemeat smile. "We heard a bell, but I didn't know we'd get locked out. I just wanted to get some patrolling in." She crossed her arms as though agitated.

Randall looked again at the Vampire. "With him?"

"I patrol with 'er. 'Ave for months now." Spike stood by Buffy to let the man know that was that.

Randall lifted a card from his back pocket, laid it flat against the sliding door. The door
opened. "I'm afraid that you can't leave the building, not until Quentin gives you the necessary information." He pocketed the card and walked through the door. The brunette turned and waited for the two blondes to follow.

Reluctantly they did. "I'm sure Mr. Travers was planning on telling you all about the exits and entrances, but he's been very busy lately with...a special project."

Buffy nodded slowly. "I see. Well, too many nights not patrolling makes me antsy."

Spike cut in. "Yeah, me, too. Very antsy without a regular 'patrollin'." The hidden meaning was lost on Randall.

"Well," Randall said as he walked to the lift with the couple following, "I'll remind Mr. Travers in the morning. I'm sure he'll tell you what you need," he stated to Buffy.

The lift stopped on the third floor and Randall stepped out. "See you in the morning," he said, looking at Buffy's forehead, then turned and walked down the balcony. The doors shut and the lift continued to the sixteenth floor, where their rooms were.

Buffy stopped at her apartment. The door was unlocked, and she and Spike started to enter. "Nope," she said, planting her hand on his chest.

He cocked his head to the side, but understood. "Shouldn't we talk about what we just saw?"

"In the morning, with everyone. We'll meet here. OK?

"Ok, but can't we at least...?" She shook her head slowly. "Low profile?"

"We have to," she said and planted a short kiss on his lips. "I love you, though. Don't forget."

"I'll remember all night." He smiled evilly, then winked and walked to the door to the apartment Giles and he shared after Buffy shut hers.

He opened the door mumbling about impossible Slayers and patrolling. Giles stared at him curiously as the Vampire went into the bathroom.

Without a second thought, Giles went back to his work. He currently was looking for references to the original form of Vampires. The Demons 'true' face. He had been inspired after hearing about Angel's trip to Pylea.


Chapter End Notes:
I'm just gonna leave it be and hide in a corner till I get noise on that one. But Quentin is still evil. *kisses*