As the car wound its way along her driveway and her home came into view Buffy let out a breath she had not known she was holding.

‘Home sweet home’

She remembered the day her parents told her they were moving to England.

God had it been 12 years already.

She reacted like the typical 15 year old girl from LA she was. Moving to a small country town in England’s north was not her idea of fun. She protested, she pouted, she stomped, she even went on a hunger strike, that lasted all of 35 minutes, until her mother pulled her own form of bribery; choc-fudge-mint ice cream, from the freezer.


As the car rolled to a stop, she looked up at the window where she knew he would be sitting ever so patiently waiting for her arrival.

It had been ten days since she saw him last and that was eleven days too long for her. She missed him so much that it caused an actual physical ache in her heart.

Rick, her driver opened the car door tipping his hat in respect as she climbed from the car.

‘Welcome home Miss Buffy’

She gave him a soft smile. ‘It’s good to be home Rick.’

He nodded his response then hurried to the boot of the car and gathered her bags. He followed her along the path and then up the stone stairs that led to the huge double oak doors that framed the entrance to her home.

As she reached the top the doors swung open, Andrew her ever-faithful confidant, and servant greeted her. With his smile, she became lost in more memories.

The Wells family had been working for the Summers’ for as long as Buffy could remember. Her childhood was full of memories of playing with Andrew in the back yard and swimming pool.

When she was at the tender age of six, she stole her first secret kiss from him in the garden. Andrew wiped her lips from his mouth burst into tears and ran away from her. When he was 13, over a bowl of ice cream he confided in her that he was gay.

When her parents Hank and Joyce died in an accident, Andrew’s parents George and Alice stayed on, they were the only other parental figures the girls knew.

When Buffy turned legal age, Alice and George retired. It was then Andrew stepped in to take their place in the Summers home.

‘Glad to have you back’

Andrew offered as she walked back into her home.

‘Master James is in his room, I’ll let him know of your arrival.’

Buffy gave him a beaming smile that let him know that she was thankful and glad to be home.

Lost in the nostalgia that this day seemed to be dishing out to her Buffy was caught unawares by the familiar sound of heals clicking on the marbled floors. She looked towards the sound and saw her sister coming from the main dining hall.

Buffy wrapped her sister up in a tight embrace ‘Dawn honey what are you doing here?’

‘Can’t a girl come and visit her sister?’

Buffy looked at Dawn with a stern motherly look and simply said,

‘No.’ after a beat she added ‘what’s wrong?’

Before Dawn could fill elder sister in on her latest heartbreak, Buffy had pulled from her sister as she heard the sweetest sound ever.

‘Mommy! Mommy! Mommy!’

She looked up towards the stairs to see a small blonde ball of love and energy come barreling towards her. Scooping him up into her arms, she held on tightly to the four-year-old boy that held her heart. She covered him in kisses as he giggled.

‘I missed you so much sweetie’

‘I missed you too mommy’ he giggled again as he was covered in sloppy mommy kisses.

‘Hey Buffy’ came another familiar voice.

Buffy looked up and saw her best friend Willow standing there with a huge smile plastered on her lips. her long red hair was balled in a messy bun on the top of her head, a few pens poked out of the top.

She was wearing a long dress that brushed the floor as she walked. To Buffy, she looked like a child of mother earth. Natural in her beauty she exhumed a peaceful and harmonious air about her.

Buffy's attention then fell to the man standing next to her; he was a living contradiction to the woman beside him. He had a black patch over his left eye; there was visible scaring surrounding the patch.

He was wearing a beaten leather jacket teamed with leather pants and a T-Shirt. He screamed danger, but Buffy knew other wise.

Buffy looked over to Dawn and then down to James.

‘Honey mommy needs to talk to Aunt Willow and Uncle Xander, can you go with Aunty Dawn and show her your new fire truck.’

The little boy turned on his brightest smile, nodded and then skipped off to his playroom, his aunty hot on his heels.

When James and Dawn were out of sight Buffy turned to her friends. Her heart ached with guilt when she looked at Xander. She really wished she could undo so many things in her life. What happened with Xander was one of them.

He raised his patched eye at her ‘did you get it?’

Buffy offered him a cheeky smile ‘What do you reckon?’ she pulled a small velvet bag from her person and tossed it to him.



Spike woke with a searing pain in his chest. He gave a groan of discomfort and winced as he tried to sit up. Giving up he rolled over and covered his head with the blankets.

The familiar sound of someone in his room made him pull them back down and reluctantly face the day.

Rupert Giles, his butler set down Spikes tray and then opened the curtains. Giles was the closest thing to a father figure that William ever had.

His mother Anne never remarried when his father died. He was a mere babe, too young to remember him at all.

William always thought that Rupert and his mother harbored feelings for each other, but never reacted on them. It wasn’t until his mother died of lung cancer when he was 19 did he learn the truth.

They had been having an affair since he was small boy. Giles thought that William would hate him for keeping this secret. However, William wrapped the man in a warm embrace

‘You made her happy that’s all I care about’. In that moment an unbreakable bond was formed.



‘How long have I been out?’ Spike asked groggily as he brushed the remnants of sleep from his eyes.

‘Two days’ was all the old man said as he handed Spike a glass of juice and pain killers. Taking the pre-offered pills Spike swallowed them down.

Slowly he climbed from the warmth and comfort of his over sized bed.
He padded his way across the polished floor to a full-length mirror; he stared intently at the reflection.

There glaring back at him was the pale face of a stranger. His left shoulder wore a bullet wound just above his heart.

‘The doctor said you were lucky. Any lower and you would have been dead.’

Giles commented as Spike peeled back the gauze to inspect the damage.

Lightly fingering the stitches, he said dryly ‘Nah I’m just lucky she’s a bad shot.’

When Giles looked at Spike over his round wire rimmed glasses, Spike answered the unasked question.
‘Buffy’

Knowing that Spike would not elaborate on what he just said or on what happened while he was away, he simply let the subject drop.

After Giles helped Spike to pull on his silk robe, he announced ‘the girls are here to see you’

Spike nodded to let the old man know he heard. Then followed Giles to the kitchen where his guests were waiting for him.

‘Mornin’ Spike acknowledged the girls with a smile and a nod ‘Glinda, Anya.’

The girls looked up from their breakfast to see Spike stride into the kitchen; he was wearing a pair of long black silk pajama pants, sans shirt and matching robe, the robe danced about his feet as he walked, a grin played at the corner of his mouth.

Tara offered him a warm smile and set about making herself and Spike a cup of tea; Anya continued to eat her eggs.

When all were seated at the table, Anya looked at Spike. After her initial reaction of panic to the news of Spike being hurt, she had the last two days to calm her nerves. Now seeing him sitting here as if nothing happened pissed her off.

‘So are you going tell us what happened or are we going play a game of 20 questions?’

Anya was brash, rude abrupt, very blonde sometimes, extremely intelligent. She was the smart one always working out problems.

Spike glared at her ‘got shot’ was all he said then stuffed a piece of French toast into his mouth.

‘Buffy’.

Giles said from behind the kitchen bench, answering the question that was on all their lips.

Anya and Tara shared a look. They knew part of the history between Spike and Buffy; none of it had a happy ending. Wherever Buffy was involved, it always meant a cranky Spike, which always equaled trouble.

‘So did you get the Gem or not?’ Tara gently probed.

Now Tara she was sweet, caring, and gay and all the Tara things like the sister he never had. She gave him hope in love and life.

‘Stupid bitch shot me before I got the chance’

Without looking up from her plate, Anya snapped ‘Well we need to get it.’

‘I know that Anya’ Spike bickered back, stabbing the eggs on his plate violently; taking his frustration out on his breakfast.

‘What are you going to do about it?’ Anya demanded.

‘Don’t rightly know, now do I? You want me to walk up to her and say give me the Gem of the Amara’ irritation evident in his voice.

When he heard a not so subtle cough, He turned to look at his best friend.

Tara raised a brow at him in the same way his mother did when as a child he was lacking in manners. ‘Please’ he added rather sarcastically

‘There is a Black and White charity ball this coming Saturday that you are invited to William. Perhaps Miss Summers is attending?’ Giles offered.

Spike raised his scared brow at Giles a sly smile forming on his lips as a plan hatched in his mischievous mind.