Chapter 5:


“Well I’m off…” Melanie announced loudly as she got up off the couch. She shot Buffy a sympathetic look and whispered, “Good luck Buffy…you’re going to need it.”

“Mel—” Spike started, trying to stop her.

“I’ll see you guys tomorrow.” Melanie said, determined to get away from them. With her hand resting on the doorknob she continued, “Or you know...in a few days or something…I’ll be careful. Bye.”

And with that the blonde duo were left alone.

Spike sighed as he stared at the door, “That girl is going to be the death of me.”

“A mini Dawn she is.” Buffy mumbled as she looked down at her lap.

Spike glanced back at Buffy sitting alone and uncomfortable on his couch. He noted the clean bandages and medicine lying on the couch next to her. “You need help with that.”

Buffy looked up at Spike then looked down at her bandage wraps and shook her head, “It’s fine…I—“

“Let me help you.” Spike said harshly.

Buffy met his hard stare, “Fine.”

Spike sat down on the other side of the couch with a sigh, “You always do this…” he muttered to himself, “…so I don’t know why I’m surprised every time you do this…it just makes me…” he let out another frustrated sigh.

As he kept up his complaining, Buffy watched with interest while he dressed her wounds.

“…however I guess it’s my own fault for caring about a bloody Slayer...life of the Chosen One…one being the key word there…it will never change.” Spike rolled his eyes as he fixed a piece of tape to her stomach.

“Sorry I didn’t meet up to your expectations.”

“That’s not an expectation…just stating fact.”

Buffy shifted and got to her feet, “Well if all I do is make things hard for you and aggravate you, then maybe I should go back to Europe.”

Spike narrowed his eyes at her, “And do what…forget that this whole thing with the other Slayers didn’t happen?”

“Of course not…I’ll take care of it…I’ll just do it back in England.”

“Back safe and secure right?”

“What are you getting at?” Buffy asked.

“I’m getting at that your running away…the problem is here and you’re running away from it. Doesn’t seem like the Buffy I know. She wouldn’t be calling the shots from thousands of miles away…she’d in the thick of it…in the fire.”

“Well excuse me if I want to do things my way…isn’t that the Buffy you know? The stubborn Slayer that doesn’t take shit from others.”

“Ya, but there’s a big difference… she never avoided a problem like this…one that was this personal. If she did, Angelus would be roaming around town with Glory doing high fives.”

Buffy paused for a brief moment, “What do you suppose I do?”

“I don’t know...not at the moment.”

“Great…that’s a wonderful plan of action.” Buffy mumbled sarcastically and rolled her eyes.

“This is not my fight Buffy…it’s yours…”

“You’re not going to help? At least if I go to England Willow—“

“I’ll help you…don’t be daft, you know I’ll help you…I’ll give you as much muscle as you need but I’m not going to do it all for you.”

“So you want me to struggle?”

Spike chuckled and shook his head, “You sound like you never done that before…”

“Not of late.”

Spike lifted his hand and pointed at her, “And that’s the point I’m trying to get you to admit to yourself. You’re disconnected from being the Slayer…when was the last time you went on patrol alone?”

“The other night….”

“The night you got beat up? Not counting that…you were lured in by another Slayer…you were expecting a team of Slayers helping. I’m talking alone… no other girls…no Willow…no resources…just you and a stake.”

“It’s been a while…I’ll admit it. I’m trying to create an army of Slayers here.”

“An army…an army of drafted Slayers…girls that don’t have a choice…”

“I didn’t have a choice…”

“But the difference between you and them is the universe…the Powers that Be chose you…for them, YOU…Buffy Summers chose them.”