Author's Chapter Notes:
Wow....I thought moving across the country would cause the most chaos in my life. Life has just been crazy and insanely busy. I'm really hoping I'm on a path for things to stabilize a bit soon. I want to thank all of my readers who have stuck by me despite all my major life changes causing disruptions in my writing every which way. And thank you to my new readers as well. I hope you'll check out some of my other works.
Chapter Ten:

“Spike, man…you in there…” There was a light rapping on the bathroom wall that became more of a sharp knocking after a moment.

Spike furrowed his brow and shook his head, a bit disoriented at being roused just as he’d been feeling the first tugs of slumber overcome his weary mind and body. Granted, it was probably for the best considering he was standing on a wet and potentially slippery shower floor. He blinked a couple of times trying to determine what had pulled him back to awareness. He heard a throat clear nearby.

“Spike…I think we should talk. I’m giving you a few seconds to respond before I give Willow a ring and call a powwow in the middle of your living room.” The voice continued, “You see, you might have noticed there’s something a bit off in there…ya know, something that seems a bit different than normal. I’ll give you a hint, it’s black and blue and starts with ‘B’ and ends with ‘uffy.’

Spike blinked a couple of times before his eyes opened wide. Throwing open the shower curtain and narrowly keeping himself from slipping and falling on his face, he yelled, “No!” then a bit softer, “No…no, don’t call anyone.”

The man across from him raised a skeptical eyebrow. “Fine…for now…just…just put on a towel or something and we can talk.” Xander blindly felt around for a towel on the rack, as he covered his eyes so as not to have any more of an up close and personal view of his friend’s nakedness than he had already been privy to. Once he felt one in his grip, he tossed it in Spike’s direction. “I’ll be in the kitchen. Just meet me in there and tell me who I need to kill.”

A few minutes later, more appropriately dressed in ripped jeans and a Sex Pistols t-shirt, Spike joined his anxious friend in the kitchen. Seeing that Xander was leaning against a counter tapping away with nervous fingers, he opted to stay standing as well and leaned against an adjacent counter.

Xander wasted no time in getting to the point. “What the hell is going on?! One of our best friends is passed out on your couch looking like she’s been hit by a semi. I know she crashes here occasionally, but she doesn’t usually look like a thoroughly pummeled piñata!”

Spike popped his neck and rubbed a hand tiredly over his face. “We’ve had a bit of a stressful 24 hours...mostly her, of course. Look, Xan, I want to tell you what’s going on…I just don’t think it’s my place.” He sighed deeply, “What’s important is that she’s safe now. She’ll talk to the gang when and if she feels up to it.” He met his friend’s eyes, “Look, I’d be really grateful if you wouldn’t say anything to anyone. I think it would overwhelm her right now…”

Xander gave him an incredulous look and scoffed, “Yeah, but Willow—”

Willow is a wonderful girl and loves Buffy dearly, but once Willow hears about this, you know she won’t be able to resist informing the rest of the crew. She means well, but…really you don’t even know what’s going on. Please, just keep this to yourself. I’ll have to tell Buffy that you saw her. Wouldn’t feel comfortable keeping that from her. But let’s give her a chance to decide what to do with that information.” Spike cocked his head imploringly at his fidgeting friend.

Xander stared at the floor shaking his head, “Doesn’t take a genius to figure out that someone did that to her. You’re lucky I know you well enough to know that you’re not responsible…” he tilted his head up with a look of intensity on his face “….so who is?”

“Look…I don’t have all the answers yet myself, mate. And I’m sure you know I’d be the first to bring out the battle axe if I did.” Spike pushed away from the counter. “I think you should go before she wakes. I’m hoping she’ll feel a bit more forthcoming after she’s gotten some more rest even if the quality is rubbish, but having additional company in the apartment probably isn’t going to help that along. Don’t need her shutting down anymore than she already has.”

Xander clenched his fists. “She should go to the hospital, Spike! She’s wrecked and who the hell knows what else happ—”

“She’s already been, Xander,” Spike snapped without thinking, “I’m not a bloody idiot. She’s been to the hospital, and…” he breathed out, “and we’re working on the rest.”

“God…” Xander just continued shaking his head trying to process the situation. “I’ll go…I’ll go, but you have to keep me informed of what’s going on…and I’m not going to keep this from the rest of the gang forever. They love her. They have a right to know she’s hurt.”

“Fine, I can’t argue with that, mate.” Spike bit his lip in thought, “Just make sure you keep it from Faith for as long as possible…I want to be the one to talk to her about it.”

The brunet looked confused, “Why…Faith?”

Spike gave him a pointed look and spoke evenly, “Just take my word for it. I want to be the one to chat with that bird regarding Buffy.”

“Okay, man,” Xander responded with a sigh, “I’m out for now. Just call—”

“Hey,” Spike interrupted, raising an eyebrow, “What are you doing here in the first place?”

“Don’t you remember, man? You, Oz, and I were supposed to celebrate the completion of your test with a few beers down at The Bronze.” A sudden look of understanding passed over Xander’s face. “Your test. You missed your test.”

Spike shrugged, “More important things, mate…”

Xander nodded and gave his friend a pat on the shoulder, “Just keep me informed.”

As he listened to the sound of his friend quietly letting himself out of the apartment, Spike sighed and closed his eyes, resting his lean frame against the counter once again.

He snorted softly. And this is why you don’t let your mates have keys to your place.


Chapter End Notes:
Still with me?