Author's Chapter Notes:
I am so sorry that it has taken me so long to update. I truly thought I would never be one of the people who starts a story then lets it go. I don't want to be that way. Today is the first time I've logged on in months. I've been having some difficult life issues. I still am, and most likely still will continue to be having them. They put a halt to my writing and that in turn made me feel bad about being around here at all, so I just sort of disappeared. I can't apologize enough to my readers for that. I feel awful. Like I said, things are still difficult for me and still affecting my writing, but I'd like to try to gradually return if you lot are still interested in my stories. I have a few long stories including this one that I'd been working on and I still have the final part of a 3 part series to write. I'm not going to be able to do fast updates right now, but I'm going to try my best to slowly get back into things if my readers are interested. Please forgive me for being a bit out of practice. You're all amazing, and I've really missed you over the last few months. I also look forward to meeting our new folks, as I'm sure many have come along in my off time. Thank you to everyone who has supported me, I'm sorry I've let you down for a bit.
Chapter Seven:

Spike's back stiffened at her proclamation. This was both what he wanted and what he feared more than anything, but now wasn't the time to shy away. He was her best friend, and he knew that she needed to talk to someone. He figured he should be thankful that she would, at least, talk to him. He forced himself to settle back into the couch and set his eyes on the weary blonde who currently resembled a prisoner facing execution.

He cleared his throat, "Come on, luv, it'll be all right. You can tell me anything. I would never judge you, Buffy." He watched as her eyes flickered up to his for just a second before focusing themselves somewhere in the region of her knees. She pulled herself further into the corner of the couch.

There was no sense in pushing her at this point. He knew her well enough to know that she was simply gathering her thoughts before she began speaking. So, he sat quietly trying to center his own thoughts on what he needed to do to make her feel safe and supported. Trouble was, he wasn't even certain of what the smallest step should be. Should he hold her hand? Should he move to the other side of the couch? Should he interject? Should he stay silent? God, he hated constantly fearing that he was going to muck things up.

His attention was jerked away from his muddled thoughts by a soft sigh from the girl beside him. He watched her lips slightly part a few times and knew that her voice would soon be heard.

Buffy truly felt like she was going insane. She had always been so lively and outgoing, but now she was finding it very difficult to express herself. She knew what happened, so why was it so hard to find the right words in the right order to relay her story to Spike? Maybe if she just started talking, it would work itself out.

"Okay," she whispered. So, she managed to get one word out. Would the rest follow? She looked over to Spike and wondered if he was aware of the pained expression on his face. She figured not, because he would likely force himself to appear neutral if he was. He must be pretty fucked up about all of this.

A sudden wave of guilt washed over Buffy. Spike was going through all of this with her, doing everything he could to help her. If he wanted to know what happened...well, he deserved that much.

She swallowed and shifted in her seat. Just pretend you're telling a story, Buffy. That's all it is...a story.

"So...."

She really wasn't doing too good of a job at getting the ball rolling.

"Ummm....so...what...ummm...."

Spike didn't want to push, but Buffy clearly needed a little direction. He didn't think he would be stepping over any invisible lines if he helped her out a bit.

He smiled at her, though he doubted she noticed. "You went to the club last night, yeah?"

She met his eyes, and he knew he'd done the right thing by the grateful expression on her face.

She nodded, "Yeah, yeah...I went to the club...with Faith."

Spike held back a snort. He had always believed that Faith's influence was part of the reason Buffy dropped out of college. That bird's 'devil may care' attitude had gotten the both of them in a spot of trouble more than once.

Buffy wet her lips with her tongue before continuing, "So, we went to the club and we were dancing and...it was...fun." She took a deep breath. "There was this guy there...he kept watching us...watching me. I...I liked it. He was a really goodlooking guy. I just thought it might be fun to flirt with him a bit." She chuckled mirthlessly, "I figured it would be something for me to do while Faith made her rounds propositioning half the club."

Spike was unable to keep himself from rolling his eyes at that statement. Buffy might be a bit of a party girl, but thankfully she didn't have Faith's careless habit of having a different bedmate every night.

"Anyway, when Faith went off on her manhunt, I set up camp at the bar a few stools down from...from the guy. It had to have been less than a minute before he approached me." Spike watched Buffy pluck at a few stray threads off the old couch before she continued. "He stood really close to me...really close, but I kinda liked it. His cologne was a little strong, but he still smelled really good. He asked me to dance. I didn't even pretend to mull it over, I just immediately jumped up and took his arm." Buffy's lip began to tremble, "I guess he must have thought I was just a stupid slut or something. Maybe I am."

"No," Spike spoke more sharply than he intended and was ashamed at how his friend jumped in response. "No," he repeated but as gently as he could to counteract the effect of his first ill-spoken word. "No, Buffy, accepting a dance does not make you a slut. That isn't what you are at all." He carefully took her hand in his, hoping that his outburst hadn't put a premature end to her story. He just couldn't stand for her to think so badly of herself. Didn't she know she was amazing?

"So, you had a dance with him?"

Buffy glanced up at Spike's face for a second before nodding and retraining her eyes on her knees. "We danced a few songs, but I started to feel a little uncomfortable. He was so touchy feely. He was a hot guy, but it's not like I knew him. All I knew by that point was that he smelled like...I don't know...kinda lemony, he said his name was Brian, and he was a pretty good dancer." She shook her head, "At some point, I begged off and went to locate Faith. She was supposed to find some guy to hook up with, and I was supposed to drive her car home. I couldn't find her anywhere. Finally, I got desperate and started asking around. Some girl told me she left with some guy about ten minutes earlier."

"She just left you...without even saying a word?" Spike was livid but forced himself to keep an even tone.

Buffy gave a little shrug, "Yeah, but that's Faith. Not the first time she's run out on me to get laid."

Spike wanted to say a few things on that but restrained himself. It wouldn't do either of them any good to get worked up about Faith right then. He took a breath and waited for her to continue.

"I figured that she'd just taken out with some guy and left me the car. I just...didn't feel comfortable at the club anymore for some reason, so I went out the back door of the club to the alley that Faith had parked in." Buffy gave Spike a quick glance. "She's worse than you about worrying someone will nick her baby. Anyway, I stepped out into the alley, and the damn car was gone!" She shook her head, "I figured someone had finally located Faith's 'secret' hiding place for her keys and took off with it. She can be so careless sometimes. So, I immediately pulled out my cell phone and called her. I figured she would want me to interrupt her...whatever...for that."

At Buffy's pause, Spike took that as a sign that it would be okay for him to speak. "So, I bet she was pretty upset that her baby got swiped?" He was surprised by Buffy's snort and soft chuckle at his statement.

"No! As it turns out, the guy Faith hooked up with didn't have a car. So, they just hopped in hers and took off." Buffy rolled her eyes, "I guess she just didn't think about me or figured I'd get my own ride or something. I don't know...she didn't stay on the line long."

Spike was gritting his teeth so hard, he thought they might crumble to pieces. He'd never been Faith's biggest fan, but right then he could absolutely murder the bitch. He wanted to scream and yell, but with Buffy in the room, that didn't seem wise. He just clenched the fist not on her hand and took a few deep breaths. After a moment, he realized she was looking at him expectantly. What she wanted, he didn't know, but he figured he should say something.

Gently stroking her hand with a level of control he didn't know he had, he gave her a curious look, "Why didn't you call me for a ride, pet? You know I would have fetched you."

Her reply was soft, "I did, Spike. I did call you. There was no answer."

Spike furrowed his brow, "Wha....I don't....oh." The missed call. Dammit, if he'd just heard his stupid phone, then this....then she.....

Spike sighed heavily. He felt a small tug on his hand.

"Spike," Buffy began gently but firmly as she tugged his hand in hopes of pulling him away from the unfortunate place his mind had clearly taken him, " Spike, this wasn't your fault. Don't think that for a second." Taking a breath, she continued, "Maybe we should continue this some other time...or not at all..."

He gave her hand a quick squeeze. "I wish this wasn't necessary, luv, but really the more details you can get out, the better. If you're able to go over it with me...well, I hope that will make it easier for you to go over it with someone that can provide you with more help than I can."

She nodded, "Despite what I've said, Spike, I really do want the police to catch this guy. I don't want him to do this to anyone else, it's just hard..."

"I know, sweetheart, I know it is." He smiled encouragingly, "So, you want to continue?"

After a few deep breaths, she nodded, "Yeah, it will be easier if I just get it all out now." She shifted slightly in her seat. "So, after I tried to call you, I started trying to come up with other people who might be able to pick me up. It just seemed like everyone was out of town or busy last night. I was getting a little cold standing out there without a jacket, so I turned to go back in the club, and that's when—"

The two blondes' heads jerked up at the sudden loud pounding on Spike's front door.

Buffy glanced at Spike. "Are you gonna see who's there?"

Spike opened his mouth to say 'no' when the pounding started up again. He muttered under his breath as he heaved himself from the couch. Glancing back apologetically at Buffy, "Sorry, pet, I'll get rid of them."

He stalked over to the door just as the pounding began yet again. He roughly disengaged his locks and threw open the door....and stared for a moment.

Huh...that wasn't what he expected.


Chapter End Notes:
Let me know if you still want to hear more from me. Thank you.