Author's Chapter Notes:
I didn't expect to have another chapter of this out so soon, but this chapter was pretty well already written in my head. I'll also try to have the next chapter of Poison out today. Hope you enjoy Ch. 8 of Fix You.
Chapter Eight:

Spike stared dumbfounded at the frazzled brunette standing wide-eyed on the balcony in front of his door. She was bouncing nervously on the balls of her feet and clutching something dark in front of her body.

Spike shook his head, coming back to his senses, "Fred? What are you doing here, pet?"

"I..ummm....here!" She shoved the dark object she was holding into his hands. "Buffy left that in the examining room."

Spike looked down at the object in question. It was the leather jacket he'd lent Buffy the night before. He glanced back up at Fred's nervous form, "Pet, are you okay? You seem a bit...off."

She gave him an apologetic look, "Spike, I don't mean to be rude, but could you please let me inside for a bit. I think your neighbors just propositioned me."

Spike leaned his head out his front door and noted the two greasy punks from a few doors down leering in Fred's direction. "Go back inside, ya wankers!" Spike shouted before backing up and gesturing for Fred to enter his apartment.

She smiled at him as she walked through the door, "Thanks. I just need to calm down for a minute. I'm not used to that much...attention." She turned her head and blinked for a second at the small beat-up blonde squishing herself into one corner of a large couch. "Buffy, hi there." She looked back and forth between Buffy and Spike. "Sooo...do you two live together?"

Spike was the first to answer. "No, pet, this is my apartment. We just thought that she might be more comfortable here last night."

Fred nodded, "Ah, of course."

Spike tilted his head curiously, "You know...actually...I was wondering how you knew where to find me at all."

"Oh...well, this was the address you put on her paperwork."

"Hmm," Spike shrugged. "Guess I was a little out of it last night, but I imagine she'll be staying here for awhile anyway."

Buffy smashed herself farther into the corner of the couch despite her body's emphatic protests. She knew Spike and Fred's conversation was entirely neutral but she didn't like the sense she had of being talked about like she wasn't even there every time they referred to her as she. Just as Buffy was feeling her mood darken even further, she noticed Spike turn towards her.

"Buffy, sweetheart, you are planning on staying for awhile, right?"

She unconsciously bit her lip and jerked at the sudden pain from pressing her teeth against the broken skin. Spike and Fred both flinched uncontrollably at the sight.

"Oooh," Buffy whimpered, tears filling her eyes. In a small voice, she responded to Spike's question. "I...I'd like to...I don't want to be any trouble, but..." She shrugged and looked down, "I don't know..."

Spike furrowed his brow in confusion, "Why would it be any trouble, pet, you stay here all the time. I love your company."

"Yeah, but..." Buffy glanced uncomfortably at Fred before turning back to Spike. "Yeah, but what about Drusilla?"

Fred glanced at the two blonds and decided it was probably time for her to go. "Umm...looks like you two have a few things to work out. I'm going to get going. Buffy, I hope you feel better soon." Fred looked down at her purse and dug around for a moment before pulling out a pen and an old grocery receipt. She jotted something down on the paper and leaned forward to set it on the coffee table in front of the couch. "That's the extension for the nurses' station at the hospital and my home phone number. If you need anything at all, don't hesitate to call." She glanced at Spike, "That goes for you too."

Spike smiled at her gratefully, "Thanks, Fred. We appreciate that." Buffy nodded her agreement.

"Okay, well, it was nice seeing the both of you again," Fred began, clasping her hands together. "Like I said, feel free to call me whenever."

As she moved towards the door, Spike tossed the jacket on his old recliner and followed her. "I'll walk you down, pet. I don't want my neighbors getting any funny ideas about bothering you again."

"I'm sure I'll be..." she trailed off at Spike's determined expression. "Okay...thanks."


He glanced back at Buffy. "I'll be right back, luv, and we'll talk." She just quietly nodded in reply.

Fred and Spike were comfortably silent on the walk down to her car. It wasn't until they reached the vehicle that Fred turned towards him and spoke, "How are you doing...really?"

Spike was surprised by her question. He put his hand on the back of his neck and looked down, not entirely sure how to answer.

She spoke gently, "You know...it's not only the victims that are affected in all of this..."

"I appreciate your help, Fred," Spike cut-in before she could say anymore, "but I really don't think I'm comfortable talking about this right now."

Fred smiled and nodded, "No problem. If you ever do want to talk or you and Buffy need anything at all, just give me a call."

Spike graced her with a small smile of his own. "Thanks, luv."

With one last nod, Fred entered her car and was soon pulling out of the lot. Spike sighed deeply before turning and beginning his trek back to the apartment.

When he reached his door, he paused. He really didn't want to discuss Dru with Buffy right then, not when she was feeling so fragile. He sighed, knowing he had no choice but to face the inevitable. Squaring his shoulders, he opened the door and stepped into the small apartment.

"Buffy, I want you to understand..." His voice tapered off as he regarded the sleeping girl curled up in the corner of his couch. His lips formed a wry smile as he quietly approached her. He plucked a soft flannel throw blanket off the back of the couch and carefully covered his sleeping friend.

Leaning forward, he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear and kissed her forehead.

"Sleep well, sweetheart."


Chapter End Notes:
Short chapter, but I hope you enjoyed it. Let me know what you think, and let me know if you're still with me. Thanks!