Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't own anything Buffy-wise! Please don't sue me!

As always, reviews and cricitism are greatly appreciated!
=)
~~~Chapter Seven~~~


"What's your favorite movie, luv?"

"Um, I don't know. I guess, Titanic."

Spike snorted, "Titanic?"

Buffy playfully punched him on the shoulder, "Yes! It's so sweet. I love the idea that Jack loved Rose enough to die for her. It's just so romantic."

They had been playing sixty questions for the last hour. They made plans to meet up at his apartment for dinner, ending up with her laying on top of him on his couch.

Spike still hadn't figured out how he and Willow were going to get her away from Riley, but he knew that it had to be fast. She had shown up at his apartment with a hand print bruise on her upper left arm.

Buffy had explained to him that Riley thought that she 'wasn't paying enough attention to him while he was telling her what he had done that day at work.'

Spike tightened his hold on her as he thought of the bruise, "Okay, luv. It's your turn."

She sighed, thinking for a moment, "Okay, if you could do anything in the world, without consequences, what would you do?"

He didn't have to think or hesitate on his answer, "Take you away from Riley. Then get away from here and make love to you for hours and treat you like you deserve to be treated."

Buffy felt her eyes water. No one had ever said anything like that to her. She had never felt this way for anyone as she felt it for Spike. She snuggled her face into his chest, silently asking, "Think you could do that second one now?"

Spike had barely heard her request. Shocked, he pulled her face from his chest so he could look in her eyes, "Buffy? Are you sure?"

She nodded, "Yes, I'm sure. Will you?" She sat up, pulling him with her.

Spike smiled from ear to ear, scooping her up in his arms, he stood up, carrying her towards the bedroom, "I'd be honored to, sweetheart."

(*(*(*(**)*)*)*)*)

Buffy looked down at the sleeping Spike in her arms. He looked so peaceful. Sated. So was she. She had had the best experience in her life not more than thirty minutes ago.

She looked around the room, trying to get a feel of what he liked. She had never been in his bedroom until now. They had always stayed in the living room or kitchen. But they had never ventured into this part of the house.

Now, they were sure to make this their first stop of every visit. And she wasn't complaining. She was very happy that she had asked Spike to make love to her. He was attentive, caring, and just fantastic.

There was no comparison. And she knew that this was a big step. Technically, she was cheating on Riley, but he hit her. He abused her. And he had cheated on her countless times, so she didn't really see what the big deal was.

She knew that Riley would see it as a big deal though. If he ever found out about her and Spike, she knew that he would try to kill Spike, or her. She was used to the abuse by now. Did it hurt any less, scare her any less, or make it seem okay? No. Nothing would ever make it okay.

But she never wanted Spike to get hurt. She felt a slight fall in her heart as she thought about Spike getting hurt because of her, because she couldn't keep her mouth shut and just wait until Willow got home.

She had put Spike in this position, the position to get hurt. She wanted to keep him safe, she never wanted him to get hurt. She knew why, but she wouldn't say it out loud. She had thought it countless times, she loved him.

She knew that it should be too soon to love him, but she did, and she didn't care what people thought. As soon as she was away from Riley, she would tell him. To say she was scared would be an understatement. She was petrified. Mainly for the thought that he wouldn't love her back.

She glanced at the night stand to see what time it was, noticing the drawer open. She peeked inside, seeing a black notebook. It looked like it had been through the ringer. Stains on it, crumpled sides of the pages.

She knew that she shouldn't be looking in it, but she couldn't help herself. She opened the cover, careful to not wake up Spike. She saw, in beautiful, Victorian cursive, something that made her heart flutter.

She understood now, why he was helping her. Understood why he wanted to get her away from Riley. She had always thought that it was because he thought it would be the right thing to do. But know she knew.

She knew now why, it was clearly simple. On the first line, it said, "How to save the girl I love."


~~~Chatper Eight~~~


For Buffy, things had changed that night she spent with Spike. She had never felt anything like she did for him. She still hadn't told him that she loved him, even thought, she thought it was obvious that he loved her, too.

She had seen it. On his notebook, she had seen the words. She would never tell him that she saw it. She didn't want him to think that she was snooping. She wasn't nosy, it was just something that had pulled her in.

She had looked through the notebook that night, finding things that she hadn't even thought of. Like, she could just pack all of her things and tell him that she was going to take her clothes to Goodwill and she was going to buy new ones.

Spike thought of it, but there must have been something wrong with that, because he had marked one straight line through it. There must have been something wrong with that plan, so she moved on to the next, and the next, and the next, amazed at how much thought he was actually putting into this.

She was sitting in her office, simply thinking about all the things that have happened to her in the last few weeks. Her whole world had changed, and it was because of one man. One man that had shown friendship to her, who she now loved.

She wanted to be with him, no matter what. Suddenly, she got courage from somewhere she didn't even know existed. She grabbed her purse, running out of her office, telling her assistant that she wouldn't be back that day and to lock up when she left.

She rushed home, hoping to get there before Riley got back. He was supposed to be training new officers. She hoped that she would be done and gone by the time that he had gotten back.

However, when she reached their apartment building, she spotted his car in the parking garage. She sighed heavily, this was it. This was when everything changed. She parked her car then headed up the stairs to her apartment, hopefully for the last time.

She opened the door, and was greeted by an overly happy Riley, "Hey babe, what are you doing home so early?"

She didn't put on that fake smile that she always gave him when she first got home. She didn't ignore the little voice yelling in her mind telling her that she didn't need or want to be here with him, she simply refused to act anymore.

She walked to the couch, sitting on the opposite end of him. He frowned, "Why are you all the way over there?"

She looked him in the eyes, a gesture that rarely ever happened, "Riley, we need to talk."

He situated himself into a more comfortable position facing her, "What do you mean?"

"Riley, there's no easy way to say this, so I'm just going to say it. I don't think that we should be together anymore. I think that we need to break up."

Buffy could practically see the steam rolling off of him, he was angry, and she was starting to get scared. She wanted Spike there and she needed him to protect her. She was fearing for her life now, Riley had stood up, advancing towards her.

He grabbed her by the upper arms, hauling her up and towards his face, "What the hell do you mean that you don't think we should be together anymore and that we should break up!?"

Riley slung her across the room, landing her on the small, wooden, round table, breaking from the force of the throw. Buffy struggled to push herself up, but it didn't matter. He had grabbed her and shoved her against the wall so she couldn't leave.

"Who is he!? Huh!? Who is the fucker that you're leaving me for!?" He banged her against the wall, her head bouncing from the impact, "You're not leaving me! I won't let you!"

He yanked her off of the wall, throwing her to the door. Once she was on the floor this time, she was sure that she wouldn't be able to get up on her own. Stalking towards her, Riley slammed his foot into her ribs, causing a cracking sound.

He pulled her up from the ground, only to slam her right back down into it. Buffy was slowly slipping away. She wasn't sure how much longer she would be able to stay conscience. She felt Riley's boots digging into her sides every time that he struck her.

The last thing that she remembered was hearing him yelling, "You'll never leave me! I'll never let you leave me!" before her world became a world of black.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Spike was sitting on his couch, watching a new episode of 'Passions'. He couldn't believe how lucky he had gotten. Not more than a week ago, he had Buffy in this apartment, making her feel ways that he was sure that no one else had ever made her feel.

He, himself, had never felt those things. He loved her, and he would be damned if he ever let Riley hurt her again. Thinking about what Riley could be doing to her, he got angry.

Jumping up from the couch, he turned his television off, grabbed his keys, and left the apartment. He had reached the bottom of the stairs, getting ready to walk out the main entrance, when a very rushed Willow bumped into him, "Spike! Oh thank God! I've been looking for you every where!"

Spike chuckled, "Why, you really need me to work tonight? Sorry, sweets, I'm on my way to confront Soldier Boy and get Buffy away from that pillock before he does something to her that could kill her."

He started to make his way around her, but she stopped him, "Spike, you're too late."

He turned to face her, fear written all over his face, "What do you mean I'm too bloody late?"

She sighed, resting a hand on his left arm, "That's why I was in such a hurry. Buffy went home to tell Riley that it was over and that she was leaving him. He freaked out. He hurt her pretty bad."

Spike closed his eyes, unable to keep the tears at bay, "How bad?"

"She's in the hospital. When they brought her in, she was unconscious. She still hasn't woken up," she pulled him into a hug, letting his tears fall, "She will want to see you as soon as she wakes up. I'm sure of it."

He pulled back, wiping at the tears on his face, "Then let's go. I'm not letting my girl go now. Not ever." And with that, they made their way to the hospital. Spike was angry, scared, aggravated, and felt useless.

There was nothing that he could do to keep her from feeling pain when she woke up, but he knew that without a doubt, that Riley would soon regret that he ever laid a hand on his girl. He would make sure of it. But not now, now, his girl needed him. And he would be damned if he didn't go to her.


~~~Chapter Nine~~~


As soon as Spike and Willow got off the elevator on Buffy's floor, Spike was rushing to the nurse's station, "I need to see Buffy Summers. What room is she in?"

The nurse had a smile on her face, turning to the computer to look up the patient in the database, her smile quickly faded from her face. She turned back to Spike and Willow, "I'm sorry, sir, but the doctor specifically said to not let anyone into her room. They are waiting for a family member to get here. I'm sorry."

Spike put his head on the counter between his hands. Lifting his head, tears streaming down his face, "She has no other family. Her mum is dead, her dad doesn't give a rat's ass, please just let me see her. We are the only family that she has. Please."

The nurse looked at him for a moment, before turning to the phone, dialing two numbers then waiting for someone to pick up the phone. Spike and Willow were worried that she was calling security, but their fears were soon put to rest, "Doctor Giles? Yes, the patient Buffy Summers? Her family is here," pause, "Yes, sir. I'll send them right there. Thank you. Goodbye."

The nurse hung the phone up, looking at them, "You can go in. It's room 517."

Spike gave a silent sob, glad that he could go see his girl, "Thank you, so much. You have no idea how much this means to me."

With that, Willow and Spike ran to room 517. Once outside, Spike stopped. He was trying to ready himself to see what that monster had done to his girl. He wasn't worried that he would find her repulsive. He knew that would never happen. He was scared that he would get too emotional. He felt as if it were his fault. He should have been there. Should have been there to protect her.

Taking a deep breath, he turned the knob of the door, opening it slowly. The door was completely open, and there, lying in the hospital bed in a gown, was the love of his life. She had cuts and bruises on her face. She looked so fragile, so weak, and he hated to see her that way. She had never been anything but strong, and this one monster, had changed her.

He slowly walked to her bed, to her side, not caring if Willow was behind him or not. She wasn't. Willow had left the room the second she saw him stop, staring at her. She knew that he needed time with her by himself.

He reached her bed, taking her small hand in his, stroking the back of it with his thumb. He fell to his knees, crying. He had never felt so weak in his life. He wanted to make her better and he knew that he couldn't. He couldn't believe that he had done this to her. Spike knew that Buffy would protest that he didn't do this, but to him, he might as well have. He wasn't there to protect her, and he felt horrible for it.

He kissed her hand, her arm, her shoulder, neck, cheek, nose, and finally her lips. He wanted to make her feel better. He remembered hearing her tell him that when he kissed her, that she felt better instantly. Spike knew it had to be a long shot, kissing her wouldn't make all of this go away.

He stood, only to sit down on the side of her bed next to her lifeless body. He palmed her right cheek in his right hand. Smoothing over the skin with his fingers. She had the most beautiful skin to him, even after what Riley had done. She was still beautiful to him. He leaned towards her ear, almost silently whispering to her, "Come on, luv. Wake up for me. Please."

No movement. No acknowledgment. Nothing. She hadn't moved. So he tried again, "Please, sweetheart. I need you to wake up for me. I need you to get better. Please. I can't go on here without you. Please, luv. I need you. I love you, baby."

Shifting on the bed to where he was lying next to her with her in his arms, he continued, "Remember when we were lying like this in my bed that night? You told me that you loved me and that no one had ever made you feel the way that I make you feel? You said that without me, you didn't know how you would go on? That's how I feel, too, baby. I'm sorry I didn't tell you then. I need you. Please don't leave me, baby. I need you here. Please come back to me, baby. I love you."

Spike felt like he was dreaming when he felt her hand twitching in his. He quickly sat up, looking at her face, amazed when he saw her green eyes looking right back at him. She smiled weakly, barely whispering out, "I love you, too."